gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Bruce an original member? No? Well, Mike's website claims he is.  (Read 35048 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »

I don't know why but I thought this image was funny enough to post:

Kinda sums up Bruce in a nutshell.  Cheesy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »

Mike looks photoshopped in that pic. I'm guessing not tho, just looks that way.

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »

Bruce isn't original, but, other than Mike, I think he's played more BB shows than any other Beach Boy. He gets some points for that...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »

Mike looks photoshopped in that pic. I'm guessing not tho, just looks that way.
Nah, it's just weird quality. I guess it's a screencap from one of the numerous promo clips for the WOTS compilation.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »

Bruce isn't original, but, other than Mike, I think he's played more BB shows than any other Beach Boy. He gets some points for that...
He is a real Beach Boy. I love Bruce's voice and songs. Met him backstage last summer. He was way cool and we had a great conversation.

I just got bugged by the web site displaing in big, bold red,"

THE TOURING BEACH BOYS - 2013
Featuring two original members: Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:10:26 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »

He is a real Beach Boy. I love Bruce's voice and songs. Met him backstage last summer. He was way cool and we had a great conversation.

I just got bugged by the web site displaing in big, bold red,"

THE TOURING BEACH BOYS - 2013
Featuring two original members: Mike Love & Bruce Johnston

He sure ain't original (in any sense of the word  Grin). But he's HISTORICAL, you know. That's gotta count for something.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

I'm picking the context for the use of the term 'original' by both Jeff and Mike is they are what we here would  class as Beach Boys. They were on the records, toured in the 60's, witnessed the highs and lows etc.

Do any of Mikes other sidemen in the touring 'Beach Boys' publicity shots meet that standard? No chance!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »

I lost all respect for Bruce when just a few weeks ago he called the Mike and Bruce band "the real beach boys" or something to that effect.

His contributions to the beach boys music are forgettable, well I guess it depends on how much you like "Disney Girls", I'm not that much of a fan.

If he left after singing on California Girls and GOK it would've had zero point zero impact on how the Beach Boys history played out. The only thing I can think of is Sunflower would have been an even better album and we wouldn't have gotten the "Here comes the night" disco remix.

Also, this Mike and Bruce bullshit might never have festered
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:59:53 AM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

I lost all respect for Bruce when just a few weeks ago he called the Mike and Bruce band "the real beach boys" or something to that effect.

True that. But her quote of 'little Mike and Bruce thing' was the stand-out line by a landslide! LOL
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »

I'd say that Bruce should, at this point, be considered an original member...... Why the hell not?

I see "The Bruce Boys" are playing this gig: May 12, 2013 - Flagstaff, AZ - Pepsi Amphitheater (4pm) !!!

I thought Mike was against sugary soft drinks!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »

I'd say that Bruce should, at this point, be considered an original member...... Why the hell not?
Because "original" derives from "origin" - and Bruce simply wasn't there.  Wink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

But doesn't he just look and sound like he was born to be a Beach Boy???
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »

But doesn't he just look and sound like he was born to be a Beach Boy???
Well.......................

I don't even know how to answer that. (If that description fits any non-original BBs associate, it's Scott Bennett. I think.)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

This is a highly subjective opinion that can never be proven, but David Marks would have made a far greater contribution to the band than Bruce if he'd been on board for decades. Perhaps not as a composer but certainly as an instrumentalist. Imagine the guitar tandem of Carl and Dave with Al switching to bass. Could have been way cool.

Having said that, I'm a fan of "Disney Girls" which belongs in the Great American Songbook. I sorta dig Bruce's "wild" look circa 1971-72. In some pics from that era he even looks a tad surly.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »

I'm partial to this Bruce look:

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

THE BRUCE BOYS!

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »

THE BRUCE BOYS!

Haha!

But that is not Bruce, there is no handclapping going on in the picture.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

THE BRUCE BOYS!

Haha!

But that is not Bruce, there is no handclapping going on in the picture.
There's actually a lot of clapping going on in this picture. But he's clapping so fast the human eye can't process it . Let alone the camera or a frog's eye. That's one reason he's historical. D'uh.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

I see "The Bruce Boys" are playing this gig: May 12, 2013 - Flagstaff, AZ - Pepsi Amphitheater (4pm) !!!

There is a monument in Hawthorne with six original guys. Bruce isn't one of them.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »

This is a highly subjective opinion that can never be proven, but David Marks would have made a far greater contribution to the band than Bruce if he'd been on board for decades. Perhaps not as a composer but certainly as an instrumentalist. Imagine the guitar tandem of Carl and Dave with Al switching to bass. Could have been way cool.

I doubt it. David Marks was as messed up as some of the other members for much of his life and they still would have used Carl or session musicians for the guitar parts if he'd been around probably.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »

I once went to a show at the Coach House in San Jsun Cap CA that was billed as Alvin Lee and Ten Years After. Alvin was there but no Ten Years After. AL was awesome but I was bummed I never got to see the original TYA.

Just throwing in a little tribute to the late, great Alvin Lee.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

There is a monument in Hawthorne with six original guys. Bruce isn't one of them.

Oh is that right? And what are you trying to say?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »

Oh is that right? And what are you trying to say?

Uh........ That Bruce is not on the monument csuse,... uh,...... he isn't an original member.

Speaking of Lost in a Lost World, would Mike Pinder, my favorite Moodie, say Lodge and Hayward are original Moodies? Obviously no. But they ARE Moodies.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »

I'm partial to this Bruce look:

Bruce Osmond indeed. Is that the same sweater he wore on the cover of SUNFLOWER?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx