gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:15:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harpsichord Pop  (Read 12079 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »

This is probably the hardest rocking song I know of that uses a harpsichord...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHwdD2Zq6s

Although, to be fair, the harpsichord part (which comes in at 26 seconds) seems to vanish once the chorus and dueling guitars take over.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »

Don't think these have been mentioned yet:

Golden Brown----The Stranglers
Love Me Two Times----The Doors
The Devil's Triangle----King Crimson (I think it's in the section called "Garden Of Worm")

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »

Surprised no one has mentioned one of the greatest pop singles of the 1960's...

"The Girl I Knew Somewhere" by the Monkees, featuring Peter Tork on harpsichord. And had record biz politics not interfered with their original plans, the other side of that single would have been "All Of Your Toys"...the great single that never was which featured a harpsichord intro that was also a fantastic rhythmic and harmonic hook of the song, again played by Peter Tork.

On the TV show, they once rigged up a harpsichord onto a bicycle for Peter to drive around as he was trying to woo Julie Newmar,  the episode which featured "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" as the musical montage.
Has anyone ever heard the alternate version of this song? I like it better than the released one - for starters, the harpsichord line is much clearer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doibz5eVNmc
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »

Not pop perhaps, but not that far away (starts at 0:19):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOb8i0BD_ho

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »

All 1:18 of "Prelude" by The Millennium from their 1968 album "Begin". Probably the best piece of harpsichord pop out there. Can't post a link, but it's worth the search.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

All 1:18 of "Prelude" by The Millennium from their 1968 album "Begin". Probably the best piece of harpsichord pop out there. Can't post a link, but it's worth the search.
Allow me. :=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOl2yXNFOg

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »

"The Girl I Knew Somewhere"....Tork's solo is one of my four or five favorite solos in rock history on any instrument.

Surprised no one has mentioned Brian Jones...."Sittin On A Fence," "Lady Jane,". (unless that's Nicky) sand I've read he played it on "Dandelion."

Tommy James and the Shondells' "Ball of Fire" has very prominent, very memorable harpsichord.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

Ummm....Lady Lynda, anyone?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

Surprised no one has mentioned Brian Jones..."Sittin On A Fence," "Lady Jane" (unless that's Nicky) and I've read he played it on "Dandelion".
Sittin' On A Fence is great! One of the Rollings' forgotten gems. Mick sang it so sweetly. Thanks for reminding me of this beauty, rn57! And no, it's all Brian - both on dulcimer & harpsichord - in Lady Jane. No Nicky.

Generally, many good & beautiful songs were mentioned here. I, of course, downloaded them all. Among my faves are Elton John's "Skyline Pidgeon" (one of the best songs I heard this year), Todd Rundgren's "Cold Morning Light" (ditto as E. John), XTC's "The Last Balloon" (sounds a bit like a long dark lullabye) & Johnny Tillotson's "Cling to Me" (amazing voice that singer has, dig those groovy cowbells as well). Thanks to all the contributors, it's very interesting to discover new artists/songs & therefore, expand your musical mind, so to speak.

Btw, I don't hear anything special in The Monkees' "The Girl I Knew Somewhere". It's nice but I'd refuse to rank it on the same scale as the best songs of the band. More so, it could be one of the worst I've heard of The Monkees. Even the funky harpsichord solo didn't save it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 02:22:51 AM »

Love (the band) use harpsichord on Da Capo, courtesy of Alban "Snoopy" Pfisterer. "Stephanie Knows Who" and "The Castle" come to mind. Captain Beefheart uses it on "Call On Me" and the now-topical (and beautiful) "Autumn's Child", both off Safe as Milk. Co-producer Richard Perry is confirmed as the harpsichordist on the second song, so it could arguably be him on the first.   

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

Donovan got into the Baroque/harpsichord act too, especially starting around 2:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkU8qXPru94
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 12:18:48 AM »

Surprised no one has mentioned Brian Jones..."Sittin On A Fence," "Lady Jane" (unless that's Nicky) and I've read he played it on "Dandelion".
Sittin' On A Fence is great! One of the Rollings' forgotten gems. Mick sang it so sweetly. Thanks for reminding me of this beauty, rn57! And no, it's all Brian - both on dulcimer & harpsichord - in Lady Jane. No Nicky.
Agreed! Yet another reason why Brian Jones will always be the Stones!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:19:39 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »

Love's Been Good To Me - Frank Sinatra
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:53 AM »

Been searching randomly for some obscure 60s stuff on YT & stumbled across 1 nugget that has vocals by a quite famous actress & singer - listen to this:

Rainbo - John, You Went Too Far This Time   As you see, Sissy Spacek recorded it under the scenic name "Rainbo", in circa 1968. I already saw her in a movie about Loretta Lynn whom she played, & instantly liked her singing. The above song is not country though, I'd describe it baroque pop with a tiny bit of psychedelia. In my view, if Sissy went along this way, she could've had some moderate success; this genre fits her voice as good as country. Talking further about arranging, the song is notable for its short Penny Lane piccolo trumpet reference (I'm a big fan of that Beatles song, btw) & the harpsichord serving as a bridge between the verses & chorus. Overall, very colorful tune, not lesser than any other 60s "flower power" stuff imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »

I was going to suggest the instrumental break in In My Life by The Beatles. But apparently it's a piano:

"On 22 October, the solo was recorded with the tape running at half speed, so when played back at normal pace the piano was twice as fast and an octave higher, solving the performance challenge and also giving the solo a unique timbre, reminiscent of a harpsichord."

Quite surprised by this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 02:50:35 AM »

Rosemary Clooney surrounded by harpsichord https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozY6aXZm1po

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »

Agreed! Yet another reason why Brian Jones will always be the Stones!

This.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »

Harpsichord plays rain role in this Peppermint Trolley Company track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBfzPW3E-Y

SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 02:22:25 AM »

https://youtu.be/bNXPpbN3BkE

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 07:08:27 AM »

"Anaheim, Azusa . . . " — Jan & Dean

Also the background music on J&D's Batman LP.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »

Not sure if it's harpsichord, U.S. band Snow "Where has my old friend Billy Jones gone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ABkJFJEFg

Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »

Need look no further than the Boss Baroque LP, circa 1966, featuring Larry Knechtel...
Knechtel AND a harpsichord ? Say no more...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »

Note: If you simply typed in "two sisters" into the YouTube search box, this song is definitely not the first thing you see.

Anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzA12_zd8M

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx