-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  This isn't fun anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This isn't fun anymore.  (Read 20165 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 08:26:44 AM »

Suspect he's really pissed about the "beautiful' photo thread on FB but who knows.

He admitted a while ago that he has personal/emotional problems at the moment but that's no reason to bring them to the board.

His comments on that Facebook thread were ludicrous and he deserved to be banned.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »

Even though I'm pretty disgusted that AGD thinks so highly of himself that he will pollute the board (The Beach Boys section no less) with nonsense about whatever he's tired of, maybe he was talking about being tired of waiting for the box set or something? I mean I highly, highly doubt it, but maybe he wasn't just being an egotistical prick. Maybe he was trying to tell us something.

He's just mad that we refuse to accept his theory that Heroes & Villains Side 2 never existed.

Really? That was the last convo I saw he participated in I think?

I feel like he's went from good-naturedly grumpy to almost obsessive compulsive on here. Maybe it's best if he takes a break.

I never understood why AGD was so hell-bent on refusing to accept the H&V Side 2 theory. Granted, the idea might have been fleeting, but the idea was there, at least for a moment.

It’s true, as Andrew has pointed out, that Brian and Van Dyke have never personally commented on it. But we have lots of hard evidence. We have Brian stating in an interview that he is unsure of what the flipside will be but he's very again using a song from Smile. We have the "H&V" sections in a tape box marked "H&V Side 2". We have the track itself, which is clearly meant to be used for SOMETHING. We have the Vosse interview from '69....I mean, what? Did he just make it up? We also have a quote from Chuck Britz about a version of H&V that would have filled both sides of the single. So why is the concept of ‘H&V Part 2’ being on the flipside of the record so hard for him to acknowledge?

Andrew sometimes seems pretty hard-headed and stubborn. Take an incident that happened just prior to the Smile box being released. An anonymous individual on the Steve Hoffman board posted a very long and detailed account of an advanced listening. It was very long and detailed and I could tell, from knowing some secret things I knew at the time, that what the person was saying was entirely accurate. I accepted the fact that this person had definitely heard the contents of box set. But AGD...well, he immediately was skeptical. His reason? The person delivering this advance review failed to go into great detail about the backing vocal montage. Now, surely anyone who had an advance listen of the box set would have made a comment about the backing vocal montage and gone on and on about it, right? The failure to do so gave ADG all the proof he needed to publically declare the person a fraud, which lead to many Hoffmanites attacking the person for no good reason whatsoever and chasing them away.

The man is great, though. He erected his wonderfully useful site for all to enjoy (like Keith Badman, ha ha), he's got insider connections in his rolodex and he uses the information he’s entrusted with to drop clues (or torture us, if you prefer). I like and respect the man, even though he wouldn’t “friend” me on Facebook. I keep his "Complete Guide to the Beach Boys" book by my bedside in case I wake up in the middle of the night and find myself suddenly wanting to know whether or not "Keeping the Summer Alive" is a good album or not.

But being a knowledgeable leader of the Beach Boys community has its price. There are always new fans coming along who have their facts wrong or are confrontational. They question stone-cold facts, which can be infuriating. And the people of the Blueboard...my God...I don't know why Andrew ever gave those sick parasites a minute of his time. They are the lowest of the low and deserve to wallow in ignorance.

It's no wonder he has finally crumbled beneath the constant pressure of being everybody's Beach Boys answer man. How many times can you repeat the same facts and visit the same subjects on message boards before you want to throw your computer out onto the front lawn?

So I hope he takes this opportunity to recharges and make peace within himself. And I hope he returns reinvigorated and with the ability to simply shut-out all those stupid comments which get on his nerves.

Such as this one.

Now let's un-ban Ian and Phil and have some FUN, FUN, FUN! WHEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNN…
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »

His comments on that Facebook thread were ludicrous and he deserved to be banned.

I think Mother Superior jumped the gun.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »

Andrew should stop viewing the BB's as a job and just enjoy being a fan again. I've learnt a lot of information from the guy about my favourite band and the board would not be the same without him here.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »

So I hope he takes this opportunity to recharges and make peace within himself. And I hope he returns reinvigorated and with the ability to simply shut-out all those stupid comments which get on his nerves.

Such as this one.

You mean comments like this from you?

Record Room poster: "I'd like to hear from them exactly what they heard [Durrie acetates]. Don't they show up once in a while on the Smiley board?"
Bubba Ho-Tep response: "They used to post more often but were probably scared off by all the arrogant fucking assholes that reside there".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »

Such as this one.

Record Room poster: "I'd like to hear from them exactly what they heard [Durrie acetates]. Don't they show up once in a while on the Smiley board?"
Bubba Ho-Tep response: "They used to post more often but were probably scared off by all the arrogant fucking assholes that reside there".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-IaFKsIw4

A discipline daddy.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »

Such as this one.

I phrased it a little more politely in my detailed post above. I was not calling AGD an "arrogant fucking asshole", if that's what you are insinuating. I was thinking of...other people....

Hey, just let me know if I'm not welcome, I'll take my encyclopedic knowledge of the Smile sessions and leave too.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:45:19 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »

You're welcome to stay as long as you can to be around all us "...arrogant fucking assholes".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:45:47 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

You're welcome to stay as long as you can to be around all us arrogant fucking assholes.

You're one of the good ones!  Cool Guy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

I love this place to death, but there are some jerks here at times.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

Man, damn near 3 full pages. Andrew should be honoured. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »

I think Mother Superior jumped the gun.

Nah, she always said that she wouldn't ban him but if he said what she claims then that is indefensible.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »

Hey, just let me know if I'm not welcome, I'll take my encyclopedic knowledge of the Smile sessions and leave too.

You're welcome here as far as I'm concerned. There's not a single currently active poster that I feel 'should' leave.

Andrew should stop viewing the BB's as a job and just enjoy being a fan again.

I think that's a big thing. I have often stated how if I ever had the opportunity to listen to every single minute of every single session, I'd be in heaven. That may be different if I was in his position. It's kind of like the movie Castaway. Tom Hanks's character spends years on a deserted island, living off of fish, crabs, ect. Gets rescued, attends a function in his honor...and the food consists of seafood.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »

Hey, just let me know if I'm not welcome, I'll take my encyclopedic knowledge of the Smile sessions and leave too.

You're welcome here as far as I'm concerned. There's not a single currently active poster that I feel 'should' leave.

Andrew should stop viewing the BB's as a job and just enjoy being a fan again.

I think that's a big thing. I have often stated how if I ever had the opportunity to listen to every single minute of every single session, I'd be in heaven. That may be different if I was in his position. It's kind of like the movie Castaway. Tom Hanks's character spends years on a deserted island, living off of fish, crabs, ect. Gets rescued, attends a function in his honor...and the food consists of seafood.

Exactly.  Yes facts are needed and they are interesting, but I also love coming on here and reading about someones opinions (right or wrong), the discussions that come from that and reading why people like certain songs/sections etc. Newguy was an overthreader but he did start some interesting discussions. I can see for someone that's been on here so long that it would be annoying though, but not everything has to be about facts does it?    I do hope AGD hasn't gone for good though.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 06:20:10 AM »

Tbh, I find it ridiculous when someone (including Mr. Doe) writes things such as "It's a boring place", "I'm leaving, bye all" etc. I mean, why dramatize? We're talking about the Inet message boards, everyone feels free to visit the forum when s/he wants to. If you're going to go - why not go on your own, without any word being said? I see these kinds of threads as totally pointless & shouting only for attention.

2Wild-Honey: I agree with you about Newguy, he started many threads that later turned out to be useful & interesting. F. ex., this one great topic where I (and others, I'm sure) discovered a lot of new info regarding the headphones:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12474.0.html

In conclusion, I shall add that Smiley Smile is the greatest music forum on the greatest band! And it has great people who I had/have the honor to talk with. I consider everyone here to be my friend, even if some disagree. So I cannot understand how "this isn't fun anymore".

I keep seeing this common thought that AGD is leaving, on account of his having made one small post  " this isn't fun anymore".
Where in that does anyone get "I'm leaving; please beg me to stay/ force me out the door? "

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »

Suspect he's really pissed about the "beautiful' photo thread on FB but who knows.

He admitted a while ago that he has personal/emotional problems at the moment but that's no reason to bring them to the board.

He didn't "deserve" to be banned and I don't think his Facebook comments were ludicrous at all. He was just stating an opinion. If that lady were so upset by what he wrote, then why did she keep the comments up permanently for all to see, along with an attack against him? The woman running that page is the one with the problems, not AGD. What really bothered me about her is that she stated that AGD has some kind of followers and seemed to be pointing to this message board as people who are following him. I am not a follower or fan of AGD. I don't even own his book (it's out of print). Was AGD being a bit of a drama queen by saying it's not fun anymore? Maybe. But the Facebook thing has nothing to do with what's happening here. The lady running that board has a screw loose and if she's sincere about "banning" AGD she should remove that passive-aggressive "note" that re-hashes it. And stop calling the people who post and read this board his "followers."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:21:55 AM by KittyKat » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »

He didn't "deserve" to be banned and I don't think his Facebook comments were ludicrous at all. He was just stating an opinion. If that lady were so upset by what he wrote, then why did she keep the comments up permanently for all to see, along with an attack against him? The woman running that page is the one with the problems, not AGD. What really bothered me about her is that she stated that AGD has some kind of followers and seemed to be pointing to this message board as people who are following him. I am not a follower or fan of AGD. I don't even own his book (it's out of print). Was AGD being a bit of a drama queen by saying it's not fun anymore? Maybe. But the Facebook thing has nothing to do with what's happening here. The lady running that board has a screw loose and if she's sincere about "banning" AGD she should remove that passive-aggressive "note" that re-hashes it. And stop calling the people who post and read this board his "followers."

Your post has been edited I believe and quite rightly so.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »

Oh No!  What did I miss?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

I'll dance at your next funeral.

Roll Eyes

Edit: This is where I need to explain that "I'll dance at your next funeral" was not intended as any kind of threat. A very popular phrase in the deep South of U.S. is "I'll dance at your next wedding". I happen to enjoy mixing up words. Or something.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:36:40 PM by Roger The Shrubber » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

I'll dance at your next funeral.

Roll Eyes

Edit: This is where I need to explain that "I'll dance at your next funeral" was not intended as any kind of threat. A very popular phrase in the deep South of U.S. is "I'll dance at your next wedding". I happen to enjoy mixing up words. Or something.

It's your funeral !

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »

Considering I edited the post within a minute or two of the original posting, that's kind of creepy that someone is checking this page out this often. BTW, I edited it mainly to change one word that was a type. But I have to say I feel really sorry for that woman's child (for having such a mother, mainly).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »

I stay off the board for only 24 hours, and all hell breaks loose. What on earth happened? I know that Andrew can at times be a cranky old git, but that's part of his charm.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »

Considering I edited the post within a minute or two of the original posting, that's kind of creepy that someone is checking this page out this often. BTW, I edited it mainly to change one word that was a type. But I have to say I feel really sorry for that woman's child (for having such a mother, mainly).

haha. You mean because I happened to log onto this board once at that exact time??? Yeah, that's so creepy.

You know full well that you didn't just change that post because of a typo but I won't embarrass you by repeating what you said.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

I stay off the board for only 24 hours, and all hell breaks loose. What on earth happened? I know that Andrew can at times be a cranky old git, but that's part of his charm.  Grin

Not on Facebook, and I don't always agree with Andrew, but I truly respect his BB scholarship 1000%! At a point, there is a certain respect owed to someone who has pursued a scholarly-type study, in any area or subject. JMHO

This past 18 months or so has been so intense for the fans and for those, whose knowledge becomes relied upon for authentication of thus and such.  And, think you are correct; it is part of his charm.   Wink

Here's hoping the fun returns for him by the time the Boys return to his "hometown!"  Wink
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »

haha. You mean because I happened to log onto this board once at that exact time??? Yeah, that's so creepy.

You know full well that you didn't just change that post because of a typo but I won't embarrass you by repeating what you said.

He didn't say something along the lines of "arrogant fucking assholes reside on Smiley Smile", did he?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: