gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:38:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Songs by Brian Wilson Wannabes  (Read 5840 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »

Like the Brian Wilson?  Dig his mellow style and/or Wall of Sound usage?  Then check out the following list of songs by other artists that clearly had the Beach Boys on their brains when they hit the recording studio (sound samples provided):

The Chamber Strings - The Fool Sings Without Any Song
This peppy little tune contains all the ingredients of a BW song: vocal harmonies, a number of key changes, and a sunny production.

Duncan Maitland - Crash Position
Pretty much an excercise on mellow chord progressions. 

The High Llamas - Nomads
Ok, so I'm cheating a bit here.  The High Llamas are about as in tune to the Brian Wilson sound as a cow is to "moo". But probably moreso than any other artist about there, these guys "get" the sound and have emulated it feverishly.  "Nomads" is a perfect example of this. 

Seth Swirsky - Summer In Her Hair
The name of the song alone (as well as the album cover) should tell you something's up.  There is even a little Beatles' flair thrown in for good measure. 

The Explorers Club - Don't Forget The Sun
So you have artists who do their best emulation of the Beach Boys' sound.  Then you have these guys, who think they're the Beach Boys.  It's a safe bet that these guys have never listened to anything other than Brian Wilson.  While this makes the group plenty contrived, there is no doubt that they do a good job imitating the sound.  If you love the Beach Boys Today! period particularly, you'll likely get a kick out of this.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

The Explorer's Club is a bit overboard (no pun intended) IMO. They might as well be a tribute band. Haven't heard the others.

This guy here does a great combination of BB covers and original BB-inspired original stuff.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:21:12 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »

So you have artists who do their best emulation of the Beach Boys' sound.  Then you have these guys, who think they're the Beach Boys.  It's a safe bet that these guys have never listened to anything other than Brian Wilson.  While this makes the group plenty contrived, there is no doubt that they do a good job imitating the sound.  If you love the Beach Boys Today! period particularly, you'll likely get a kick out of this.

The title track is freakin nice!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »

The title track is freakin nice!!

I think the whole album is great!! They don't outright plagarize (except for "Last Kiss"...) - this is an album made for hardcore fans who can pick out all the little motifs, sounds, and inspirations. I think a lot of people here were pissed off, I found it rather enjoyable to have a "new" Beach Boys album at that time.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »

Oops, I thought the album was called "Don't Forget The Sun". Anyway, that chorus is amazing! You can feel it in your gut.

edit: Just found a pretty awesome live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bnmywt1FhA
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:54:45 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »

Dudes, I listened to the second Explorers Club album and thought it was pretty forgettable? The singer sounded like a '70s soft rock balladeer and the music veered towards the "easy-listening" stuff from Bacharach more than anything else. It was like they took the feyest elements of '60s pop and decided they didn't need anything else.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »

Dudes, I listened to the second Explorers Club album and thought it was pretty forgettable? The singer sounded like a '70s soft rock balladeer and the music veered towards the "easy-listening" stuff from Bacharach more than anything else. It was like they took the feyest elements of '60s pop and decided they didn't need anything else.

I think (actually, I know!) Jason didn't want to do another Beach Boys pastiche album, because he'd already done one and didn't want to be labeled a rip-off artist. That second album has an almost totally different crew of band members. I do like it, although not as much as the first, and there is a heavy Bacharach influence, but I hear a lot of different influences, too. For starters...there are shades of Hall & Oates, Lou Christe, Barbara Mason, Gary Puckett, Motown, Herb Alpert....

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

Yeah man, I don't doubt it'd be a great album to put on while mixing cocktails at your swap meet but aside from that, it's too lounge-y for my tastes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »

Yes the Explorer Club are a pretty gimmicky band -- which is what made them perfect to include on this list!

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

Just bought "Any Little Way" on iTunes. It's only a minute long.. but def worth the 99 cents. Jason has a sick voice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:41:00 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

Just bought "Any Little Way" on iTunes. It's only a minute long.. but def worth the 99 cents. Jason has a sick voice.

Are you sure you're not a member of the band?   Wink

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »

Are you sure you're not a member of the band?   Wink

Hahahaha. Nah, just excited about these tunes!

edit: Thanks Awesoman for posting these. I've had this song on loop for 2 hours now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:00:50 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:21:04 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »

I think the whole album is great!! They don't outright plagarize (except for "Last Kiss"...) - this is an album made for hardcore fans who can pick out all the little motifs, sounds, and inspirations. I think a lot of people here were pissed off, I found it rather enjoyable to have a "new" Beach Boys album at that time.

Just listened to both albums in their entirety. Totally agree that the 1st one is almost like hearing a "new" old Beach Boys album. It's also pretty amazing how different the 2nd album is in terms of style. That Jason dude is one talented mofo. How would you say the other artists on Awesoman's list compare to The Explorers Club?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »

Wow, oddly enough as I just posted that, The Explorers Club just announced that they're throwing in the towel after one final recording.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:20:52 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »

Wow, oddly enough as I just posted that, The Explorers Club just announced that they're throwing in the towel after one final recording.

Just came here to post the same thing - what a bummer. Was looking forward to a third album.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:20:37 PM by zatch » Logged
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »

http://www.lauramvula.com/releases
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

Thats a shame, would have loved to see EC live, 2nd album seemed to be a big flop for them

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

I'm very sad to hear that we've seen the last to the Explorer's Club! I love both of their albums and find it hard to choose one over the other - both have some great songs & productions to these ears. As a major Sunshine Pop / Soft Pop fanatic I found a lot to like about their second album although it took some getting used to after their brilliant debut.

I don't really understand why some people on this forum both in this thread and past threads knock them for being nothing more than Beach Boys rip-offs and a gimmick band. Although they've definately worn their main influence on their sleeves, I think they've done so in a very cool, admirable and heartfelt way, giving us some great, original tunes with the best ones comparing really favourably with the Beach Boys in their prime. Sure, the Brian Wilson influence is stamped all over mainly the first album but I don't think you can accuse them of outright copying specific tracks. But I guess it's a matter of taste after all...

In keeping with the topic of this thread, I'm in a Beach Boys obsessed group myself, Surf School Dropouts. We certainly can't measure up to the Explorer's Club, I think. But those here that like them hopefully might still dig some of our songs: www.surfschooldropouts.bandcamp.com

Our debut album, Summer is a State of Mind, is also out on vinyl from Spanish indie label Sunny Day Records.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 07:37:17 AM »

I think The Explorers Club rocks this Darlin' cover;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XVOsihdGo

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
zachrwolfe
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:10:36 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

Again, from the movie "Christmas in Wonderland" (had to check the "Soundtracks" page on IMDB to find the right title).

Billy Martin - California Christmas. It must be on iTunes, if it's not removed but it's very "BBs". Little Saint Nick meets Pet Sounds with a dash of "Bruce" vocs. "Merry christmas Saint Nick (Christmas comes this time each year)"="California Christmas time is here (Jingle bells ring this time of year)".
   Very good for a wannabe. In fact my new favorite. Check it out somehow.

Found: http://fastmp3.eu/billy-martin-california-christmas-11366118.htm

Preview is for Russia & Ukraine but download should work fine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:53:26 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx