gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680817 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:10:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Revisiting Beachboys Recordings Gathering Dust  (Read 2413 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

Since the Beachboys supernova of the 50th Celebration tour and recent album releases is cooling a bit, I've gone back to my archives in search of a fresh Beachboys fix.  I've Deliberately pickied albums I have gone the longest without hearing.  How long since I listened to Like a Brother, Brian Wilson 88, Pet sounds Live, or even Wild Honey?  Long enough that they sound wonderful and fresh, full of nuance.

I especially enjoyed hearing Pet Sounds Live and BLW again.   Like chosing a menu item that you haven't tasted for a long time.  Brian sounds so different 10 and 25 years ago than he sounds now.  And Carl's voice on BLW is just so damned appealing and comforting at this juncture.

How about the rest of you?   Where is your Beachboys appetite taking you these days and what are your thoughts as you revisit some of your own neglected BB gems?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

BLW?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »

I'm playing Love You on repeat today in a desperate attempt to discover why it's so awesome.

Dusted off Still Cruisin' recently.  My first BB album.  Love the refrains in "In My Car."  Very "Bill and Sue" esque.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

BLW?

Beckley-Lamm-Wilson.

C'mon, Bgas, get with it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »

BLW?

Beckley-Lamm-Wilson.

C'mon, Bgas, get with it!

Too late for that

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »

I take it that no one has revisited their neglected sections of the BB catalogue but me, or else I'm the only one who had a neglected section. LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »

I never neglect any section of my collection.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »

I take it that no one has revisited their neglected sections of the BB catalogue but me, or else I'm the only one who had a neglected section. LOL

Many a section of my catalogue could be considered neglected. But as exciting of the past year was and as great as it always is to go back to the old albums on the shelf, there is so much other music out there, I haven't really given the Beach Boys that much time (TWGMTR and the Smile Sessions notwithstanding). Not that I haven't listened to anything else, but I haven't really spent a lot of time with anything else. I'm still working on finding more and more new and old music.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

I'd recently downloaded Orange Crate Art off of iTunes and I've been listening to it before I go to sleep.  Truly a lost gem that deserves more recognition.  I feel like if you told the recently initiated Smile fans "Hey did you know Brian and Van Dyke Parks did another album together aside from Smile," they'd be like "NO WAY I'VE GOT TO HEAR THAT SHIT."  I think it was just awkward timing, I bet if it had come out a decade later once Smile had finally come out and become a success, it would have gotten more recognition.  It's so good.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »

I never neglect any section of my collection.
Me neither. I don't have that big of a collection, but I listen to any fraction of it once in a while (BLW just recently, actually).

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »

wish i had one to neglect....  LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »

Many a section of my catalogue could be considered neglected. But as exciting of the past year was and as great as it always is to go back to the old albums on the shelf, there is so much other music out there, I haven't really given the Beach Boys that much time (TWGMTR and the Smile Sessions notwithstanding). Not that I haven't listened to anything else, but I haven't really spent a lot of time with anything else. I'm still working on finding more and more new and old music.

OCA is my springtime record, I just added it to my iphone. Such a great record.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »

I'd recently downloaded Orange Crate Art off of iTunes and I've been listening to it before I go to sleep.  Truly a lost gem that deserves more recognition.  I feel like if you told the recently initiated Smile fans "Hey did you know Brian and Van Dyke Parks did another album together aside from Smile," they'd be like "NO WAY I'VE GOT TO HEAR THAT SHIT."  I think it was just awkward timing, I bet if it had come out a decade later once Smile had finally come out and become a success, it would have gotten more recognition.  It's so good.
Since the first listen, it has been in my top 3 BB-related releases of all time, including all the studio and live recordings, group and solo.  My favorite album of the 90's by any artist as well.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx