gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:01:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowsills doc  (Read 1929 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »

Just stumbled upon a documentary on Showtime about the Cowsills and ended up watching the whole thing. Their story is as harrowing as the Wilsons, and includes a violent, hot-tempered, alcoholic father. There are lots of interview segments with John Cowsill and mention of his current role as drummer with Mike & Bruce. Fascinating film, full of stuff I never heard before.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

I'd like to see that.  Bud Cowsill was just like Murry Wilson. Even his wife was intimidated by him and would glance off stage periodically at the ol' man during TV and live concert appearances to see if he approved of everyone's performances.  An abuser for sure.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »

Oh well, he's dead. Take it to the sandbox
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:12:30 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

Didn't the father kick one of the sons out of the group after catching him smoking pot?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »

http://www.sho.com/sho/reality-docs/titles/3365261/family-band-the-cowsills-story#/index
oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »

The Cowsills-Now there's a group that changed the course of music in such an overwhelming manner. "Indian Lake" and "Cherokee Nation" alone go where no group has gone before. Why do bands like this come along with such infrequency? Just think of what could have been! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »

One of the Cowsill brothers died in Hurricane Katrina, easily the best known person to perish in the storm.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »

The Cowsills-Now there's a group that changed the course of music in such an overwhelming manner. "Indian Lake" and "Cherokee Nation" alone go where no group has gone before. Why do bands like this come along with such infrequency? Just think of what could have been! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
"Cherokee Nation" was the Raiders...."Indian Reservation" is the actual title...and don't sniff at the Cowsills...they may have been bubblegum, but they sure could sing, and it's hard to find a better sunshine pop record than "The Rain, The Park and Other Things".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »

Great music, a great story and John Cowsill is one of the flat-out nicest guys you could ever wish to meet.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »

One of the Cowsill brothers died in Hurricane Katrina, easily the best known person to perish in the storm.

That was Barry, who battled alcoholism in his later years. I recall Susan posting online, desperate for news about Barry at the time. The parallels between the two families are striking.

Great interview with John Cowsill on Michael Shelley's archives on WFMU. Touches on working with the Beach Boys as well as the family history of the Cowsills. Highly recommended (he's also got archived interviews with Brian and Billy Hinsche in 2008 and David Marks in 2012). http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/26970

http://wfmu.org/special.php/SH

BTW - listen to Poor Baby by the Cowsills and tell me that doesn't warm your ever-lovin' Wilsonian heart.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:39:07 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »

sounds interesting, hopefully will come online somewhere soon

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:04 AM »

"Cherokee Nation" was the Raiders...."Indian Reservation" is the actual title...and don't sniff at the Cowsills...they may have been bubblegum, but they sure could sing, and it's hard to find a better sunshine pop record than "The Rain, The Park and Other Things".

Not to mention  "The Partridge Family " was about them. 
It was an interesting doc ( on Showtime's Showcase channel here).  Lots of reveals including: The band didn't want to record " Indian Lake" but Dad said they would so they did the best they could with the song;  MGM had no intention of releasing "Hair" but a WLS DJ played it blind ( the story was good) / it took off like wildfire, forcing MGM to start pressing it.   

All in all, a sad story, but  interesting to view.  Catch it if you can

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx