gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:26:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The band  (Read 5343 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

The Hoskyns book is great, as is Levon's book, though I guess it is a little Heroes & Villains at points. Also, I do agree that the Band was not very good without Robertson, but Robertson wasn't even kind of good without the band, so I think It's the chemistry etc. that made the band, especially the first two albums, so insanely amazing.

Ok, will hunt the Hoskyns book down!

The other three are such wonderful singers... If I were Robertson, I'd get Rick Danko to sing every song I ever wrote, you know?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

The Hoskyns book is great, as is Levon's book, though I guess it is a little Heroes & Villains at points. Also, I do agree that the Band was not very good without Robertson, but Robertson wasn't even kind of good without the band, so I think It's the chemistry etc. that made the band, especially the first two albums, so insanely amazing.

Ok, will hunt the Hoskyns book down!

The other three are such wonderful singers... If I were Robertson, I'd get Rick Danko to sing every song I ever wrote, you know?
It Makes No Difference might be my favorite Band song of all. Great guitar work from Robbie, nice sax solo from Garth, and Rick's vocal. That song made me think of a girl I never got over - and probably never will. Robbie as a person, I don't know, I've never met the man, but as a songwriter, sometimes he just nailed it.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

Guys, n gals: it's not going to be as simple as either "Robbie's a lame prick" or "No, Robbie's an icon" and is awesome in every way and a great human being!.... Haven't we learned anything from The Beach Boys? The truth is somewhere in-between.... There is plenty of evidence to support both sides of this argument and that's just life...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:02 AM »

I shall be released in mono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDT69Tj0vfg

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »

I love Richard Manuel on Moondog Matinee....he sings his ass off on that album. Robbie's best work is his work on Music for Native Americans and Contact From the Underworld of Redboy. He recorded Ulali singing Mahk Jchi which is one of the most beautiful things I've heard anywhere. The song Jupiter Hollow on Northern Lights Southern Cross is one of the best songs I have heard about insanity....take it from a mental health professional.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx