gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:52:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the Tracks #26- Still Cruisin'  (Read 31467 times)
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 05:13:57 AM »

I don't even own this album...
jawilsh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »

Was Brian on this song or not? Did they add his voice later? Did he write that song for his solo album or The Beach Boys? Did they re-record the song to include Brian? Is Brian the only Beach Boy on the track? Is Brian a Beach Boy or not?

That's what it became. They still wanted him. Did he want them? It must've driven the guys nuts. It sold a lot. Mike never forgot that.

1. Somewhere Near Japan

2. Kokomo

3. Make It Big

The rest somewhere below....

Exactly my top 3 in that order.

The rest just kind of melds together in a pile of slop.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. California Girls
3. I Get Around

Somebody already used that joke.
I am glad Aegir agrees with me.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »

1. Somewhere Near Japan (I especially love the single mix)
2. Kokomo
3. In My Car (Way too many people are ragging on this. At least this song has personality.)
4. Island Girl
5. Still Cruisin' (OP was spot on in calling the production "brittle". Out of all the songs on this album, this probably suffers most from the 80's production. I love Carl's vocals on this, it's a lot of fun to belt out.)
6. Wipe Out
7. Make it Big

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »

Love this album. It's super 80s sounding in a good way, where BB 85 was super 80s sounding in mostly a bad way.

1) SNJ - one of their best, ever
Tied for 2nd) Kokomo, In my car, Still cruisin, make it big
6) Wipe Out
7) Island girl - I like it, but even more derivative than the others, and, although written by Al, a harbinger of what was to come with summer in paradise (although for the record, being a beach boys maniac, I actually like SIP)

QUESTION THOUGH - was brian really the only beach boy on wipe out? That can't possibly be true - the bass vocals are very clearly Mike. But the fact that he was even on it?? Brian "Wipe Out" Wilson - I love it!!! Take that Brianistas. Smiley
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »

A
Somewhere Near Japan

B-
Still Cruisin'
Kokomo

C
In My Car
Island Girl
Make It Big

C-
Wipe Out

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. California Girls
3. I Get Around

Somebody already used that joke.
I am glad Aegir agrees with me.

I actually skimmed the thread to make sure someone didn't post this, oh well! Exact same ranking, too!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »

I'll have to strike a blow for "The Tide Is High". Personally I think Blondie's version is great and every bit as good as the Paragons' mid-60s rendition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIP3DpYOV0
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »

4. Wipeout- I actually like this. It helps that I was a fan of the Fat Boys, although by this point they were at their sell-by date...their earlier work was groundbreaking, but by this point they were too commercial and had lost their edge. Kind of like the Beach Boys at this point! Controversy time...it has been said that BW is the only Beach Boy on this cut, but...I hear Mike as well. Despite what Gary Usher had claimed, I hear NO other Beach Boys on this cut.  The version on the Fat Boys Crushin' album is better, as there are a few differences in the mix, and the beat box section is cut down to nothing here.

Couldn't find the Fat Boys Crushin' on Spotify but I could find a greatest hits that includes Wipe Out.  In the first couple listens (and admittedly not having the Still Cruisin' to compare with (SC is not on Spotify or iTunes)), I don't detect any significant difference.  Can you point out where the two versions are different?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »

4. Wipeout- I actually like this. It helps that I was a fan of the Fat Boys, although by this point they were at their sell-by date...their earlier work was groundbreaking, but by this point they were too commercial and had lost their edge. Kind of like the Beach Boys at this point! Controversy time...it has been said that BW is the only Beach Boy on this cut, but...I hear Mike as well. Despite what Gary Usher had claimed, I hear NO other Beach Boys on this cut.  The version on the Fat Boys Crushin' album is better, as there are a few differences in the mix, and the beat box section is cut down to nothing here.

Couldn't find the Fat Boys Crushin' on Spotify but I could find a greatest hits that includes Wipe Out.  In the first couple listens (and admittedly not having the Still Cruisin' to compare with (SC is not on Spotify or iTunes)), I don't detect any significant difference.  Can you point out where the two versions are different?
The beat boxing segment is longer( the SC version has a rather clumsy edit) . The other differences are rather minor... its been a few years since I've heard the album version so will track it down and post later.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »

I'll have to strike a blow for "The Tide Is High". Personally I think Blondie's version is great and every bit as good as the Paragons' mid-60s rendition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIP3DpYOV0
Had no idea that Blondie's v-n was cover, thanks for clarifying it, phirnis. After listening to that Jamaican original I can say that it miles better than the former. Great harmonies & instrumental arrangement. That's IMO, of course. I respect that you like both.

Glad you enjoyed it! Smiley Absolutely love the overall arrangement of the Paragons' version.
Paulos
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

Discounting the classic tracks I hate the whole album with Make It Big being particularly offensive to my ears. The only tracks I actually like is Wipe Out - I even have the shaped picture disc.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »

Discounting the classic tracks I hate the whole album with Make It Big being particularly offensive to my ears. The only tracks I actually like is Wipe Out - I even have the shaped picture disc.

It taunts me at the record fair every month, but I can't bring myself to buy it! Darn that vinyl Burger, Containing fat Boys!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Paulos
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »

It taunts me at the record fair every month, but I can't bring myself to buy it! Darn that vinyl Burger, Containing fat Boys!

When I first saw it I could not resist, it's a burger shaped single!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »

This is very true. But does it contain horse?  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »

This is very true. But does it contain horse?  Grin
of course, of course

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Kokomo
Somewhere Near Japan
Still Crusin'
Wipeout
Island Girl (I'm Gonna Make Her Mine)
In My Car
Make it Big

Ugh. It's a fun party album but that's it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:57:08 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »

Oretty much too late to capitolize on Kokomo, and in the wake of such a huge hit they couldn't even make a real album. Only like SNJ the rest can rot.
1.Somewhere Near Japan
2 Island Girl
3 Still Cruisin'
4 Kokomo
5.Make It Big
6 Wipeout
7 In My Car (along with SI and his 1985 LP cuts this ranks among Brian's very worst songs.)

Hmm, regarding comment #7, how about Country Feelins? I'll take In My car and It's Just aMatter of Time over that thing any day.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »

1. Kokomo
 2. Somewhere Near Japan
 3. In My Car
 4. Island Girl
 5. Make It Big
 6. Still Cruisin'
 7. Wipe Out

This album might not have been the  near abomination it is had other recent movie tracks such as "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car" and "Chasin' the Sky" been used instead of the three oldies. (But NOT Bruce/Little Richard's "Happy Endings" which was in some forgotten film.). Probably wouldn't have affected sales much and would have made STILL CRUISIN' something akin to a legit new Beach Boys' record.

Historical note- I believe STILL CRUISIN' and STEEL WHEELS were released right about the same time.  August _ 1989, more or less.
ArtVandalay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

1. Somewhere Near Japan
2. Kokomo
3. Island Girl
4. In My Car
5. Still Cruisin'
6. Make It Big

7. Wipeout

A lot of people say it's "thin," but I really like Carl's voice on this record.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

1. Still Cruisin' - I LOVE this song!  The studio recording is a staple on my homemade comps that I play in the car.

2. Kokomo

3. Island Girl - I love the steel drums, but this one can grow a little tiresome on repeated listens.

4. Somewhere Near Japan - The 45 version is better, the album version runs a bit long...
5. Wipeout - Nice fun track.

6. In My Car - Very weird-sounding Brian production, sounds very cluttered.
7. Make It Big - This song sounds like it took all of 25 minutes to write, and I don't mean that in a good way.  But Carl's vocal is fine, and Mike's part is pretty cool.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

1. Somewhere near japan (the best song on here)
2.In my car (the Brian Wilson song from the cd, the lyrics aen't great and it's over produced, but the synths are some of the best he ever did, it reminds me of Love You)
3.kokomo(ok  this is what it was, a decent song that became a huge hit and then became annoyinng after awhile, but it's not a bad song if it wasn't so overated)
4.Still cruisin (good openinng to the cd)
5.island girl (not great not bad just average, great harmonies)
6.make it big (good positive lyrics, ok melody)
7.wipeout (not great not bad just ok, and was meant to help bring the younger kids to their music)
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »

I actually think this album doesn't get the praise it deserves. It's fun and has some good songs. So, The Boys weren't "hip" at this time, but I think there are some genuinely great songs on this album.

01. Kokomo
02. Somewhere Near Japan
03. Island Girl
04. Still Cruisin'
05. Make It Big
06. In My Car
07. Wipe Out

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »

I don't own this album either. I don't want to own any BBs studio albums after '85 except TWGMTR.

So, what with my relative unfamiliarity with this album:

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice - DUH. It's my favorite song in the universe.
2. I Get Around - Obviously. It's amazing.
3. California Girls - Uh, whaddya think?

4. Kokomo - it makes me skin crawl ranking this as the best original track on the album. But there ya go.
5. Somewhere Near Japan - Not as horrendous as I figured it was going to be. Not too bad at all, actually.
6. In My Car - It's Brian and it's dumb as a box of rocks. So it should be right up my alley, but...meh.
7. Make It Big - Hmm...bland but unassuming.
8. Island Girl - Cheesy and iffy.
9. Still Cruisin' - Awful. When did Mike get so bad at writing lyrics?
10. Wipe Out - Well...not as bad as the music video at least.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

1. Somewhere Near Japan - 157 (16)
2. Kokomo - 143.5 (7)
3. Island Girl - 104.5 (2)
4. Still Cruisin' - 96.5 (1)
5. In My Car - 93.5
6. Make It Big - 77.5
7. Wipe Out - 55.5

My thoughts?  Somewhere Near Japan deserves first.  I would swap the places of Island Girl and In My Car.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx