gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:15:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The High Llamas  (Read 2500 times)
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »

Despite many a post mentioning the High Llamas, I could not find a topic dedicated to the band other than"I am not connected to the High Llamas..." at General On Topic Discussions so.............
I would not call their songs forgettable - I think their albums just do not hold up too well as entities - like early BB-albums, some filler here and there. That said, some very good songs, beautiful arrangements. Considering they do not gig every week to say the least, I think I have been lucky as I have seen them twice! Once as a trio (acoustic guitar, electric piano + bass) upstairs of a South London pub (Dog House) May 2007 and with a bigger line-up (again upstairs!) at Whitechapel Gallery in London  (4th of July 2008). Both gigs worked for me, and prove they have good songs that work even when the arrangements are stripped down to bare essentials.
The Retrospective portion of Retrospective, Rarities & Instrumentals has the essential stuff - found it from Archway Library sale for £1 in a completely playable condition - and loved it since! And I just love the opening track of Can Cladders...
(I'm no Brit but my Beach Boys enthusing really began during my four-year stay in London, oddly enough + The High Llamas also bring some nice(r) memories from those days.)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »

I've got four or five High Llamas albums, but they're really not much more than pleasant, extremely derivative background music for me. That's better than being terrible by a long shot, but it keeps their status (in my mind's hierarchy of bands) well in check.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »

I guess it's fair to call their music "background music", but its about the most invigorating and enticing background music I know of.  "Gideon Gaye" and "Hawaii" -- Awrite!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »

One of those bands I liked in the 1990s that I've since gone off a bit. I still like the song "Giddy and Gay".

Please delete my account
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

I love the trio of Gideon Gaye, Hawaii, and Cold & Bouncy. Not too keen on their more recent output though, although Beet, Maize & Corn does have its moments.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »

It's like they took "Let's Go Away for A While" and the album "Friends" and just ran and ran with it.  Not such a bad thing.

This thread caused me to re-immerse myself in some High Llamas, Hawaii specifically. Thanks for that!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Allan Heron
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »

I saw them in the mid-1990's in a dingy little club in Glasgow more commonly associated with metal bands.

They were touring in support of the just-released Cold And Bouncy and the setlist also included great chunks of Gideon Gaye and Hawaii (which is, imo, their classic).

This was a time when Brian performing concerts again seemed unlikely, finishing SMiLE was a fantasy and all the original recordings being released was definitely from another universe.   As such, this was about as near as you could get to hearing SMiLE-esque music in a live environment as you were likely to get (or so we thought)

The very accurate manner in which they executed their songs was simply jaw-dropping.   I think I'd expected some trimming back from the studio recordings but not much was evident.

True to say they've trodden over much the same ground since then but I'm still a loyal purchaser of their albums as they come out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:22:17 AM by Allan Heron » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »

Just got the new album 'Here Come the Rattling Trees'. It's a pretty slight release, clocking in at only about 28 minutes long, and feeling even more stripped back arrangement-wise than their last pretty low-key album 'Talahomi Way. I get the feeling that lead Llama Sean O'Hagan is sandbagging his best ideas for a future release, as this effort seems like a hodgepodge retread of melodic ideas past. Unfortunately, even at only 28 minutes, the album is padded with needless and annoyingly long repetition at times (the Llamas worst trait). But, if you're a big fan of the group there's nothing really bad about this album that I haven't already mentioned. It's entirely pleasant sounding music for quiet times. Just don't come to the table expecting a four-course dinner; it's more of a tasty appetizer.

Here Come The Rattling Trees   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-7h9cfoDlw

Mckain James    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJO5yiT0xk

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »

Lifted from elsewhere on the board:

If in doubt you might consult this double set:

Absolute standout track for me is "It Might As Well Be Dumbo":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MglG2KfpKc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx