gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:03:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Durrie Parks Smile acetates up for sale for $10,000  (Read 129804 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »

The combination of OMP/YAMS goes back to the first Smile tape from 1978. It was also presented that way on Dennis's acetate that I bought in 1994. But that version was with the earliest Smile tape.

The question was, was the tag already attached to OMP/YAMS?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2013, 01:18:54 AM »

The combination of OMP/YAMS goes back to the first Smile tape from 1978. It was also presented that way on Dennis's acetate that I bought in 1994. But that version was with the earliest Smile tape.

The question was, was the tag already attached to OMP/YAMS?

I think Bubba was just saying the complete version with tag was never booted but apparently it was on the 1st boot in 1978. The tag version existed on the Dennis acetate from the get go by the looks of it, so yes that is a vintage 66 edit.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »

So presumably somebody now owns the Durrie Parks acetates but what type of collector could that be? I hoped it was a benevolent Smiley Smiler who would be itching to PM us all this Great Shape edit, but I suppose it could just as easily be a collector of music memorabilia who has no specific interest in Smile - the Beach Boys, even - and therefore no inclination to share the contents of the acetates.

From an investment p.o.v. it probably makes more sense to keep the tracks under wraps so the mythology of the recordings grows along with their value  Cry

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »

I wonder who did buy those acetates?..it's bound to be known at some point, isn't it?

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »

Unless Brian just planned to have a 5 + 6 minute plus H&V epic within the album proper, but a truncated version for the single

+1 Whole Lotta Love. In a-Gadda-da-Vida. etc etc.

ALSO

Coulld someone clarify: False Barnyard, OMP (TOMP), and YAMS

Thanks

Hey leggo,

False Barnyard = Disc 1, Track 07 at 1:05 on The SMiLE Sessions Box Set

OMP/YAMS = Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine - Disc 1, Track 7  on The SMiLE Sessions Box Set

I hope this is what you meant!

Yes TR that is perfect - I wonder why I cant figure out some of this on my own: TOMP = The Olde Master Painter d'oh!

Say have you heard the track where Brian is telling them the song title/slate is The Old Master Painter then someone
mumbles something (not clear enough to make out, or my ears are shot) THEN everybody starts laughing out loud -- I would lay odds they said "the old masturbater" - one of the guys can't compose himself for nearly a couple of minutes, you can tell Brian is somewhat perturbed with them joking around.

I wonder who it was. 

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

So presumably somebody now owns the Durrie Parks acetates but what type of collector could that be? I hoped it was a benevolent Smiley Smiler who would be itching to PM us all this Great Shape edit, but I suppose it could just as easily be a collector of music memorabilia who has no specific interest in Smile - the Beach Boys, even - and therefore no inclination to share the contents of the acetates.

From an investment p.o.v. it probably makes more sense to keep the tracks under wraps so the mythology of the recordings grows along with their value  Cry

Yeah, like one of the those deep-pocketed guitar collectors with rows upon rows of hermetically sealed cases full of vintage guitars... who cant play an open Em.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »

Yeah, like one of the those deep-pocketed guitar collectors with rows upon rows of hermetically sealed cases full of vintage guitars... who cant play an open Em.

Bless Keith Richards  LOL

Or indeed the guy from Spinal Tap
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »

Bless Keith Richards  LOL

Or indeed the guy from Spinal Tap

Nigel Tufnel: DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!
Marty DeBergi: I was just pointing....
Nigel Tufnel: DON'T EVEN POINT!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:17:16 AM by sockittome » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

I'm just curious how these things stayed listed for 3 or 4 days, at least.  $10K's not exactly pocket change, but some Hard Rock Cafe owner or some uber-well-known music historian or rock critic could have pocketed them in an instant, and had a collector's dream item. 

Have we determined from the listing on the seller's site which tracks may be stuff we haven't heard in some form or another?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »

We determined what's new from the Smiley poster who heard the acetates!  See his description earlier in this thread!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »

Spil - Here is Andy's post that describes what he heard:

Yep! Good to see you still around, EM. It's been a while..I feel...older. Here's your link from Durrie: http://troun.tripod.com/durrie.html *EDIT* Donny L beat me to it! That's your interview?! So cool! I remember reading that in 2000, I think, and later referencing that interview for years, repeatedly begging my sources to pass along the message to Durrie that people would pay to dig through her storage and get these.

I wish I could've written more yesterday but the timing isn't great.

Long story short: I had a chance to listen to the acetates back in September. I happily volunteered to listen to them as I'd be able to say whether or not there was revelatory material on them. As you can imagine, it was completely surreal. Even just looking at the acetates was crazy. Here was a group of acetates that hadn't been touched in years, with hand-written labels, made from torn up pieces of paper, scotch-taped to each acetate to identify its contents. I'm sure someone can confirm whose handwriting is on these labels.

We went through the first two or three acetates and nothing was groundbreaking. In general, over half of them sounded like unique mixes of already bootlegged material, but it could've been the result of listening off of an acetate.

Anyway, we get to one of the acetates labeled "H&V". At some point, a completely new version of I'm In Great Shape starts playing. It was radically different from the versions in circulation (of which there is one with harp and saxophone, one with celeste, and one with heavy piano if I remember correctly)! This version of IIGS has more heavy instrumentation, but has the IIGS bassline. There was definitely percussion, maybe snares and other various pieces. It's pretty similar to the false barnyard instrumentation, and my guess is that it's on disc 1 of the link at the beginning of this thread (and is mislabeled, but I guess I can see how the two got confused).

At this point I thought "wow, amazing!", but then something really interesting happened! In two clearly spliced edits (speaking of which, I can't remember if IIGS had the tape distortion effect the earlier takes had, but if it did it was much, much more subtle), IGGS went directly into the harpsichord playing that's underneath "my children were raised, you know they...", from the official H&V single, but with the arrangement from H&V part 1 from the SS/WH twofer that goes into "healthy wealthy and OFTEN wise" (all with no vocals), then directly into the full instrumental arrangement behind "three score and five", and that then played out until the finish of the acetate. I cannot remember if the three score and five vocals were on top of the section or not...it all happened so fast and I was just caught off guard. Either way, it's the first time I'd heard that arrangement of those pieces, and it came straight from the men. So clearly this was the highlight to me.

The second biggest highlight for me came from Do You Like Worms. Maybe this piece is out there so forgive me for not having heard it. One of the mixes of Bicycle Rider on an acetate was the kick drum, and the oooga cha vocals, with very light harpsichord in the mix. It was extremely rhythmic and very punchy. It was nothing mindblowing, like hearing Ribbon of Concrete being sung would have been, but it just sounded amazing.

There is also a completely new/original keenywokapula vocal take on one of the DYLWs with a different mix. Not mindblowingly new, but mindblowingly great to listen to.

Like I said earlier, I think there were several unique mixes of previously heard stuff, but outside of the new IIGS and the edits, I didn't notice anything else that was revelatory.

As to the quality...well, they're old acetates that have been sitting in a storage facility in Arizona for years, along with boxes of clothes, photos, records, etc. They were very crackly and poppy, probably like some of the lower quality CIFOTM acetate recordings that are floating around. I'm no record expert, but maybe someone who is can say whether or not the quality could be improved by a very good cleaning. The acetates were dusty.

I'd tried to reference it in the Alan Boyd lecture thread, but I don't think these new pieces would make an official release due to their quality, and the discrepancy between the amount of work it'd take to get these cleared for a release versus the lack of interest from general Beach Boy fans for these tracks (I say general, but that definitely doesn't apply to people on this site, like me, who'd pay hundreds/thousands to hear any new SMiLE-related fragments).

I really hope these acetates wind up in the hands of the right people, and get catalogue/archived/thrown into the history bin. I think they're extremely valuable pieces and I'm glad they finally came out, 13 or so years later (and really 28 years or longer since AGD asked about them in '85). Even moreso, I hope everyone gets a chance to hear them soon!

Finally, here are a couple of pics I took with my phone..if only I'd gotten audio recordings as well! Notice you'll see the acetate with the warp on it.

*EDIT* You can see much bigger versions of the pictures below directly on flickr..for some reason I can't make them bigger on here.

2012-09-12_13-10-10_461

2012-09-12_13-11-10_461

2012-09-12_13-10-42_183

2012-09-12_13-10-37_66

1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

Unless Brian just planned to have a 5 + 6 minute plus H&V epic within the album proper, but a truncated version for the single

+1 Whole Lotta Love. In a-Gadda-da-Vida. etc etc.

ALSO

Coulld someone clarify: False Barnyard, OMP (TOMP), and YAMS

Thanks

Hey leggo,

False Barnyard = Disc 1, Track 07 at 1:05 on The SMiLE Sessions Box Set

OMP/YAMS = Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine - Disc 1, Track 7  on The SMiLE Sessions Box Set

I hope this is what you meant!

Yes TR that is perfect - I wonder why I cant figure out some of this on my own: TOMP = The Olde Master Painter d'oh!

Say have you heard the track where Brian is telling them the song title/slate is The Old Master Painter then someone
mumbles something (not clear enough to make out, or my ears are shot) THEN everybody starts laughing out loud -- I would lay odds they said "the old masturbater" - one of the guys can't compose himself for nearly a couple of minutes, you can tell Brian is somewhat perturbed with them joking around.

I wonder who it was. 

Why is it referred to as "false" Barnyard?  (please don't pounce)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »

I don't know the exact story  - I thought when that Heroes fade first circulated it was wrongly identified as barnyard, then the real Barnyard leaked and, hey presto, False Barnyard got its name. Anybody have better info on this?

Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »

I don't know the exact story  - I thought when that Heroes fade first circulated it was wrongly identified as barnyard, then the real Barnyard leaked and, hey presto, False Barnyard got its name. Anybody have better info on this?
I don't have my copy to hand, but I believe that the first appearance of the Heroes fade, mislabeled as Barnyard, minus the rest of Heroes and (I think) in stereo, was on the first Smile boot in 1983.  The Japanese 1989(?) CD boot also had the fade listed as Barnyard as well as the actual Barnyard (also listed as Barnyard) .
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

Sorry to get this thread going again, but do we have any idea where these ended up? Is there any way of finding out?
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »

Agreed. A october/november nearly complete Heroes with alternate Great Shape is a critical piece of the puzzle - i'd rather have that than MIC to be honest. The Worms acetate sounds interesting too. We need them all.
Mind you these would all fit nicely on a Smile Sessions 2 box. Al could dub on the proper Worms lyrics if we can get the rest of the line's melody out of brian and vdp.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

Agreed. A october/november nearly complete Heroes with alternate Great Shape is a critical piece of the puzzle - i'd rather have that than MIC to be honest. The Worms acetate sounds interesting too. We need them all.
Mind you these would all fit nicely on a Smile Sessions 2 box. Al could dub on the proper Worms lyrics if we can get the rest of the line's melody out of brian and vdp.

Hey there, welcome to planet earth. I'm runnerz, and these are my bears Timmy, Shadow, Beary and Old Bear. We come in peace, sincerely. How are you?

Naw but srsly it's so goofy that a couple of these did not make disc 6 of MIC. I'm not normally one of those "BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE REPLACED THIS SONG WITH THAT SONG", but the Smile backing vocals montage and "Good Vibrations" stereo sections could've easily been replaced by a few of these. I mean these kids do a good job, but yeah, goofy move. Goofy, goofy move.

P.S. Cannot believe that after the last minute substitution of the "Barnyard" track with stereo group vocals for just the track on TSS did not result in, at the very least, them tossing said stereo group vocals into the montage on MIC. Y"KNOW.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

Now I could have sworn that I read on the board that these acetates were auditioned by Capitol in the run up to TSS and there was nothing of note on them.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #543 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »

Now I could have sworn that I read on the board that these acetates were auditioned by Capitol in the run up to TSS and there was nothing of note on them.....

And yet the descriptions of the track say otherwise. Alternate "children were raised". H&V with Great Shape.

Anyway, we get to one of the acetates labeled "H&V". At some point, a completely new version of I'm In Great Shape starts playing. It was radically different from the versions in circulation (of which there is one with harp and saxophone, one with celeste, and one with heavy piano if I remember correctly)! This version of IIGS has more heavy instrumentation, but has the IIGS bassline. There was definitely percussion, maybe snares and other various pieces. It's pretty similar to the false barnyard instrumentation, and my guess is that it's on disc 1 of the link at the beginning of this thread (and is mislabeled, but I guess I can see how the two got confused).

At this point I thought "wow, amazing!", but then something really interesting happened! In two clearly spliced edits (speaking of which, I can't remember if IIGS had the tape distortion effect the earlier takes had, but if it did it was much, much more subtle), IGGS went directly into the harpsichord playing that's underneath "my children were raised, you know they...", from the official H&V single, but with the arrangement from H&V part 1 from the SS/WH twofer that goes into "healthy wealthy and OFTEN wise" (all with no vocals), then directly into the full instrumental arrangement behind "three score and five", and that then played out until the finish of the acetate. I cannot remember if the three score and five vocals were on top of the section or not...it all happened so fast and I was just caught off guard. Either way, it's the first time I'd heard that arrangement of those pieces, and it came straight from the men. So clearly this was the highlight to me.

The second biggest highlight for me came from Do You Like Worms. Maybe this piece is out there so forgive me for not having heard it. One of the mixes of Bicycle Rider on an acetate was the kick drum, and the oooga cha vocals, with very light harpsichord in the mix. It was extremely rhythmic and very punchy. It was nothing mindblowing, like hearing Ribbon of Concrete being sung would have been, but it just sounded amazing.

There is also a completely new/original keenywokapula vocal take on one of the DYLWs with a different mix. Not mindblowingly new, but mindblowingly great to listen to.

Er.....yes please!!!!!!!

Guys, these are in the hands of a private collector. Maybe someone who reads this board. If there was some way of finding out where they ended up, we could tentatively find out what it would take for us to hear these disks.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:43:25 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »

Mysterious gang of drugged lunatics raids house of California resident - expensive possessions completely untouched, only small quantity of items from music room missing.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2013, 01:35:46 AM »

Mysterious gang of drugged lunatics raids house of California resident - expensive possessions completely untouched, only small quantity of items from music room missing.

The only drug I'm high on is my unsated Smile obsession.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »

The only drug I'm high on is my unsated Smile obsession.

Hm. You are that mystery buyer then. And are making fools of us. Smart game, Stephen. Very smart...

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »

If you give me your entire Beach Boys collection, I'll send you one snippet of H&V October assembly in an 8bit  MP3.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »

lol, let's not start again.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »

If you give me your entire Beach Boys collection, I'll send you one snippet of H&V October assembly in an 8bit  MP3.

I just p*ssed myself. And I blame you.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx