gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:24:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Durrie Parks Smile acetates up for sale for $10,000  (Read 129398 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »

I think they'll see the light of day, there has already been a digital made from them. Once that happens its just a matter of time. And I can be patient, oh yes my pretties......
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »

I also dont hold any hope of hearing whatever interesting snippets are on the discs. I doubt anyone who just forked out 10k for the items is going to be overly altruistic in sharing the digital recordings. Perhaps our one rsmote hope is approaching the selling agency and seeing if the will allow a copy of the file for a fee. Otherwise we are sol in ever hearing it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »

So I wonder who bought them?

Rick: Write 'em up, Chum...
Chumlee: What are ass tates?
Rick: ACETATES!
Corey: They're old records or something
Old Man: I'll smile when someone buys those things from us...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:44:31 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »

Hey guys, I'm pretty zonked out on painkillers and cough syrup now. Any idea why I appear to be £10,000 into my overdraft and this bailiff is taking all my stuff?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »

Hey guys, I'm pretty zonked out on painkillers and cough syrup now. Any idea why I appear to be £10,000 into my overdraft and this bailiff is taking all my stuff?

Congratulations, yours was the winning bid and you are officially the new owner of a recently discovered collection of Bay City Rollers acetates!

Hopefully you recall that trans-continental telephone call you made asking me to place a proxy bid in your name for this collection...I tried to press the issue and clarify that you wanted to pay that much money for them, as 10,000 sounded a bit steep, but you'd hear none of it and insisted on placing the bid. "I want them, and I'll pay 10,000, end of story, place the bid!" was the exact request.

The gem of the set is a very early version of "Saturday Night", which at that time was still called "Thursday Night", but after the producer asked the other band members to chant "T-H-U-R-S-D-A-Y" while crawling around on the studio floor during a long session, the rhythm guitarist refused to participate, and they soon added handclaps, sped up the tempo, and changed the hook to Saturday. The acetate now in your collection includes what may be the only surviving copy of the "Thursday chant version" of that classic song.

Honestly, I thought you meant the Beach Boys acetate collection, but you were very insistent...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »

Craig is on fire.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »

Congratulations, yours was the winning bid and you are officially the new owner of a recently discovered collection of Bay City Rollers acetates!

Hopefully you recall that trans-continental telephone call you made asking me to place a proxy bid in your name for this collection...I tried to press the issue and clarify that you wanted to pay that much money for them, as 10,000 sounded a bit steep, but you'd hear none of it and insisted on placing the bid. "I want them, and I'll pay 10,000, end of story, place the bid!" was the exact request.

The gem of the set is a very early version of "Saturday Night", which at that time was still called "Thursday Night", but after the producer asked the other band members to chant "T-H-U-R-S-D-A-Y" while crawling around on the studio floor during a long session, the rhythm guitarist refused to participate, and they soon added handclaps, sped up the tempo, and changed the hook to Saturday. The acetate now in your collection includes what may be the only surviving copy of the "Thursday chant version" of that classic song.

Honestly, I thought you meant the Beach Boys acetate collection, but you were very insistent...

LOL LOL LOL

the plot thickens...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2013, 10:13:48 AM »

I guess Mike Love bought the lot, by the way.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »

I wonder how these were digitized and by who. Was it a professional job or just someone who had no idea what s/he was doing, running the output of a whatever record player into the soundcard of a laptop or something? I am scared. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »

Craig is on fire.

Stop, drop, and roll.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »

Maybe VDP bought them back.  Has Lee Dempsey been around lately?

Hi Cam!  Hello  Yep, still around, but a wife and a kid can really put a damper on the old Beach Boys collecting budget.  $10,000 is WAY out of my league these days.  Now when I was 28 and single...

About as steep as I've been able to get lately is $300 for a still-sealed original mono Pet Sounds!  Shocked

Lee
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:34:16 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

LOL!  But if you think $10,000 is bad, there's a set of Partridge Family TV show production discs on eBay right now for a measly $1,000,000...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »

Phil Cohen bought them. I am certain.

It's his definitive trump card for when he'll have returned to these hallowed grounds.

He's out for revenge, folks. You'll see...

You convinced me!

Thank goodness he's banned, imagine him bitching endlessly about Capitol not wanting to spend that little money and... no, wait, don't imagine him.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Paulos
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »

Phil wouldn't be interested in the acetates anyway, he's obsessed with 'CD product'.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

Hi Cam!  Hello  Yep, still around, but a wife and a kid can really put a damper on the old Beach Boys collecting budget.  $10,000 is WAY out of my league these days.  Now when I was 28 and single...

About as steep as I've been able to get lately is $300 for a still-sealed original mono Pet Sounds!  Shocked

Lee

All responsibility makes Lee a dull boy. ;-)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »

Lee

I paid $63 for test pressings of BWPS.

I figured if the new 2 LP set was going for close to $50, who needs a LP jacket
when you can have early stamper test pressings.

Besides I didn't have the CD either, BWPS was something missing from my collection.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

So I wonder who bought them?

Rick: Write 'em up, Chum...
Chumlee: What are ass tates?
Rick: ACETATES!
Corey: They're old records or something
Old Man: I'll smile when someone buys those things from us...

This would make for an excellent scripted episode (because they all are...). Rick buys precious Beach Boys SMiLE acetates. Corey writes them up and leaves them on the counter. Chumlee uses them as frisbees in the warehouse while eating Subway five-dollar-footlongs as the Old Man takes a nap.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »

oh god if they did that to those acetates I would burn the place down

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2013, 04:37:13 PM »

It sure is SUSPICIOUSLY quiet around here all of a sudden!

Oh, to be a part of the PMs that are flying back and forth at the moment!  Wink

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

Did they sell? I put them in the shopping cart, twice, and it rang me up for two for a mere $20,000, until I removed them from the cart. This was a few minutes ago. Yet, it mentioned the word "sold" at the bottom of the description, before I added them.  Shipping is only $20. What a bargain!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »

If they sold, i'd bet it's from someone here, who else would know/care enough to buy them?

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »

If they sold, i'd bet it's from someone here, who else would know/care enough to buy them?

for real!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »

We underestimate the lurkers

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »

Don't be so naive, son.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx