gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:25:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Girls duet with David Lee Roth and Mike  (Read 4245 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »

Apologies if this has been posted before but I just came across this.  Take a look at the performance below.  At first it seems like an odd pairing but watching Mike and everyone in the band's reaction towards Roth--they all appeared floored by his performance.  It's clear from Roth's enthusiasm that the song has a special connection to him (besides that he recorded his own version of it).  It's clear he's a mega fan as he shares his early history with the discovering the band's music at the beginning.  Roth's performance is over the top but man is it fun.  Watch everyone in the band--they're all tickled by Roth.  At the end, Mike appears quite impressed and pleased with Roth's performance.  Watching these two work the same stage, I see a strong connection between these two front men; I think Mike recognized that. 

I think it'd be cool if Mike would allow more duets with famous musicians/singers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei32FDTCPsM
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »

Who knows, maybe one of these days Mike will remake, say, "Do It Again" with John Stamos and the guy from Sugar Ray. They could even go on national TV and perform it on stage together. Anything is possible.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:06 AM »

Apologies if this has been posted before but I just came across this.  Take a look at the performance below.  At first it seems like an odd pairing but watching Mike and everyone in the band's reaction towards Roth--they all appeared floored by his performance.  It's clear from Roth's enthusiasm that the song has a special connection to him (besides that he recorded his own version of it).  It's clear he's a mega fan as he shares his early history with the discovering the band's music at the beginning.  Roth's performance is over the top but man is it fun.  Watch everyone in the band--they're all tickled by Roth.  At the end, Mike appears quite impressed and pleased with Roth's performance.  Watching these two work the same stage, I see a strong connection between these two front men; I think Mike recognized that. 

I think it'd be cool if Mike would allow more duets with famous musicians/singers. 

The man wasn't necessarily blessed with superb vocal talent, but it's hard to argue that David Lee Roth is one of the best frontmen of all time. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:10:50 AM »

The man wasn't necessarily blessed with superb vocal talent, but it's hard to argue that David Lee Roth is one of the best frontmen of all time. 

Agreed. Diamond Dave is a joy.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:15:35 AM »

Agreed. Diamond Dave is a joy.

I've seen him a few times in concert.  Once as a solo artist in 2002 (on the doomed Sammy Hagar / David Lee Roth Tour).  Surprisingly, he didn't do CA Girls in his set as he packed it pretty much with VH classics. 

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:49:15 AM »

Hahaha. So true. His vocals and lyrics were perfect for Eddie's guitar. When you listen to some of the tracks without vocals, you see that Dave had a lot of talent for fitting lyrics into spaces - and making them work - where others were not as successful. I never felt Dave's vocals were lame or sound dated. Other great musicians with less than stellar voices? I have a Rolling Stone live album where Jagger is panned hard to one side. When you flip the balance control and isolate him a little more, it is cringe-worthy. Jimi Hendrix is another musician where his voice was not exactly that of a songbird, but it fits his music and mood perfectly. David Lee Roth and Mike probably share a similar ego, but I remember seeing this and thinking it was lame until the third or fourth time when it started to grow on me.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:37:25 AM »

Hahaha. So true. His vocals and lyrics were perfect for Eddie's guitar. When you listen to some of the tracks without vocals, you see that Dave had a lot of talent for fitting lyrics into spaces - and making them work - where others were not as successful. I never felt Dave's vocals were lame or sound dated. Other great musicians with less than stellar voices? I have a Rolling Stone live album where Jagger is panned hard to one side. When you flip the balance control and isolate him a little more, it is cringe-worthy. Jimi Hendrix is another musician where his voice was not exactly that of a songbird, but it fits his music and mood perfectly. David Lee Roth and Mike probably share a similar ego, but I remember seeing this and thinking it was lame until the third or fourth time when it started to grow on me.

Have you ever listened to the isolated vocals on Runnin With the Devil?  Whew!!!  If you want a good laugh. 

Other vocals who don't necessarily have great voices, but it fits the music also includes Eric Clapton, Lemmy Kilmister, Bon Scott, Axl Rose, and of course Michael Love.

Although, Dave's vocals on the recently released Live in Japan album are pretty bad. 
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »

LOL! Yeah and he chose that particular concert to release. Imagine what the other ones sounded like? The isolated DLR vocals are hysterical but where else area you going to hear "Goddammit baby you know I ain't lying to you, I'm only gonna tell you one time aaaahhhyyeaaaah" like that? I use that vocal to practice over. Love that you can hear the slide whistle so well and surprised how dry the vocals were. I expected more reverb.

Probably my top three favorite bands are the Beach Boys, Van Halen and the Kinks. I like that they intertwined. I wish there was more interaction between the music of Brian and Ray.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:39:16 AM »

LOL! Yeah and he chose that particular concert to release. Imagine what the other ones sounded like? The isolated DLR vocals are hysterical but where else area you going to hear "Goddammit baby you know I ain't lying to you, I'm only gonna tell you one time aaaahhhyyeaaaah" like that? I use that vocal to practice over. Love that you can hear the slide whistle so well and surprised how dry the vocals were. I expected more reverb.

Probably my top three favorite bands are the Beach Boys, Van Halen and the Kinks. I like that they intertwined. I wish there was more interaction between the music of Brian and Ray.

I didn't see VH on the Different Kind of Truth Tour, but I saw them twice in 2007 & 2008 when Dave rejoined the band.  I have boots of those shows, and they're both better sounding than the official release. 

It's a sin there's no officially released live document of the original group.  Their US Festival set is begging for a release. 
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »

If you have not heard the isolated vocals from Dance The Night Away, they are here. I think that Dave redeems himself from Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. They are drenched in reverb, but the harmonies are absolutely beautiful! Ed and especially Mike are, well On Fire. Unlike the harmonies in 2015 on In a Simple Rhyme here which you can never unhear. Ed is lucky he is a guitar God and his chops are still intact.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

If you have not heard the isolated vocals from Dance The Night Away, they are here. I think that Dave redeems himself from Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. They are drenched in reverb, but the harmonies are absolutely beautiful! Ed and especially Mike are, well On Fire. Unlike the harmonies in 2015 on In a Simple Rhyme here which you can never unhear. Ed is lucky he is a guitar God and his chops are still intact.

They really miss Mike's background vox.  He was such a big part of the VH sound. 

From one VH fan to another, what do you think of the Sammy era?  Personally, I'm a big fan.   The first time I saw VH was the 2004 reunion.  Eddie was apparently a mess, but it didn't show at the two shows I attended. 
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

Mike should remake California Girl's with Urkel, JJ from Good Times, and Buddy from Charles in Charge. Should be a huge hit
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »

I like all of the incarnations including Gary Cherone and Wolfgang, actually. They all brought something fresh to VH and Ed playing with a renewed vigor each time is a beautiful thing.

Sammy had a great voice and brought more of a pop sound to the group but I did not care for a lot of his lyrics. "So good. So Nice." Really? Just seems like there are better adjectives out there. I have a bunch of his solo stuff as I am old enough to remember I'll Fall In Love Again and Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy when they weren't oldies. And I have a soft spot for Trans Am as I had a Trans Am  Grin The Live Without a Net video was great and the guys were having a great time then. The music following 5150 with a few exceptions got more serious and strayed from the fun party feel of 5150. That happened with Dave too with Women and Children First and Fair Warning, but Dave's lyrics work better with the darker music for me.

Gary came in I thought it was great. I grew up in Massachusetts and Extreme was always on the radio, so as a guitarist, I was a big fan of Nuno already. I bought all of Extreme's stuff and they have some great music. Then their biggest hit is an acoustic song. LOL. I really felt that Gary was going to pull it off as he could easily sing both Dave's stuff and Sammy's stuff. Plus, he is a great guy - you listen to interviews and he does not say a bad thing about anyone, even when baited. He has a distinct voice and I am still not sure what happened there - I think Ed melted down and Alex just goes along for the ride. I like Gary's voice with the band but his writing can be too political for me to enjoy. I did really like Without You but it sounded like an Extreme song - and Fire in the Hole which sounded a bit like he was channeling Sammy and had a kick-ass opening riff.

When it was announced Wolfie was in the band, the first thing I did was roll my eyes. Not for long though. His vocals are certainly not Michael Anthony-level but this kid can play! When they first released the She's the Woman video, I think the guy recording it was by the bass stack and you can hear him playing some fine bass. We would not have A Different Kind of Truth if not for Wolfie so I appreciate that. The kid just has zero stage presence. But the idea that there was a new Van Halen album in 2012 AND a new Beach Boys album that same year made me a very happy guy.

I really miss Michael. His voice and personality are not something you can replace. Although I think that his vocals are best when used as background vocals. He is featured singing on some YouTube videos and it is unremarkable, but there is no denying his contribution to the BVs. Mikie's the man! I hate some of the things I hear Ed say about him, too.

Sammy keeps fantasizing about getting together with them one last time. Do a couple of Dave songs and a couple of Sammy songs. I cannot say that it would not be the coolest thing ever to have the current line-up with Dave and Wolfgang sing a few then Sammy and Mike get up with Ed and Al and sing a few. Maybe get together at the end and have a finale with all of them. It would be huge and the extra voices may drown Dave out a little, which would not necessarily be a bad thing.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »

I like all of the incarnations including Gary Cherone and Wolfgang, actually. They all brought something fresh to VH and Ed playing with a renewed vigor each time is a beautiful thing.

Sammy had a great voice and brought more of a pop sound to the group but I did not care for a lot of his lyrics. "So good. So Nice." Really? Just seems like there are better adjectives out there. I have a bunch of his solo stuff as I am old enough to remember I'll Fall In Love Again and Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy when they weren't oldies. And I have a soft spot for Trans Am as I had a Trans Am  Grin The Live Without a Net video was great and the guys were having a great time then. The music following 5150 with a few exceptions got more serious and strayed from the fun party feel of 5150. That happened with Dave too with Women and Children First and Fair Warning, but Dave's lyrics work better with the darker music for me.

Gary came in I thought it was great. I grew up in Massachusetts and Extreme was always on the radio, so as a guitarist, I was a big fan of Nuno already. I bought all of Extreme's stuff and they have some great music. Then their biggest hit is an acoustic song. LOL. I really felt that Gary was going to pull it off as he could easily sing both Dave's stuff and Sammy's stuff. Plus, he is a great guy - you listen to interviews and he does not say a bad thing about anyone, even when baited. He has a distinct voice and I am still not sure what happened there - I think Ed melted down and Alex just goes along for the ride. I like Gary's voice with the band but his writing can be too political for me to enjoy. I did really like Without You but it sounded like an Extreme song - and Fire in the Hole which sounded a bit like he was channeling Sammy and had a kick-ass opening riff.

When it was announced Wolfie was in the band, the first thing I did was roll my eyes. Not for long though. His vocals are certainly not Michael Anthony-level but this kid can play! When they first released the She's the Woman video, I think the guy recording it was by the bass stack and you can hear him playing some fine bass. We would not have A Different Kind of Truth if not for Wolfie so I appreciate that. The kid just has zero stage presence. But the idea that there was a new Van Halen album in 2012 AND a new Beach Boys album that same year made me a very happy guy.

I really miss Michael. His voice and personality are not something you can replace. Although I think that his vocals are best when used as background vocals. He is featured singing on some YouTube videos and it is unremarkable, but there is no denying his contribution to the BVs. Mikie's the man! I hate some of the things I hear Ed say about him, too.

Sammy keeps fantasizing about getting together with them one last time. Do a couple of Dave songs and a couple of Sammy songs. I cannot say that it would not be the coolest thing ever to have the current line-up with Dave and Wolfgang sing a few then Sammy and Mike get up with Ed and Al and sing a few. Maybe get together at the end and have a finale with all of them. It would be huge and the extra voices may drown Dave out a little, which would not necessarily be a bad thing.

I had high hopes for the Cherone lineup, as I was also an Extreme am (still am, very underrated band).  But, other than the two tracks you mentioned, and A Year to the Day, I didn't care much for the album.  I felt Gary was trying to sound like Sammy instead of sounding like Gary Cherone.  Warner Bros tried to pump up the album a bit by putting Fire in the Hole in the Lethal Weapon 4 in Summer 1998, but it was still a no go.  Although to be fair, 1998 was not a great time for a band lead by a guitar hero to stay and relaunch their band. 

Oddly enough, both the VH and BB releases were kept from hitting #1 in the States because of that Adele album at the time.   
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

I think of the Beach Boys and Kinks often - at the same time. Both were huge in the mid 60's, popularity fell off during the Monterey/Woodstock era, both had 70's comebacks, and 80's comebacks, both were family bands, and both known for punch ups among members.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:07:15 AM »

Rick5150 & KDS.
Two extreme fans on the board Smiley
Good to know
Just got tickets to see them in London in December.
Have to confess not ever got in to VH though.
Gary has a great voice, in fact Nuno Gary and Pat all sound great singing together.  I wonder what those guys think of our Beach Boys...they're into harmony for sure and parts of the III Sides album has a significant Lennon/McCartney/Martin influence. I think Everything Under the Sun is great though I get people find it a bit...self indulgent.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 05:30:23 AM »

I do not mind self-indulgent! The music box melody intro actually reminds me of the Beach Boys song Wind Chimes, specifically "whisperin' winds send my wind chimes a tinklin' part. I dig the third part "Who Cares?" as I am also a huge Electric Light Orchestra fan.  Afro   <-- Jeff Lynne
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx