gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:12:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billy Joel  (Read 21899 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:54 AM »

Hot take: Billy Joel is what Brian would’ve been in the 70s had he finished SMiLE and not had that breakdown

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »

The Sirius channel ends in a few hours...I always liked his music but from hearing this every day, I'm now officially a die hard

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2018, 02:02:39 AM »

I think Billy Joel is one of the most underrated songwriters.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »

Oh easily. Songs from an Italian Restaurant alone bears that out.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »

Was just listening. Announced that the channel has been extended "into November." Didn't say how long into the month.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:14 PM »

Awesome!!!! My daughter has been obsessing so I know she’ll be happy too

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »

Oh easily. Songs from an Italian Restaurant alone bears that out.
And New York State of Mind, Captain Jack, Zanzibar...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »

My daughter Jaymie called him “East Coast Brian “ the other day and thanks to Sirius I finally hear why. I seriously underrated the hell out him. 

So basically my 11 year old turned me on to Billy Joel. What interesting times we live in

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »

Most everything from "Cold Spring Harbor" (1971) to "The Nylon Curtain" (1982) are essential and filled with tons of amazing work.

After that, I think his stuff wasn't as consistent or impressive, though there still gems scattered through that final run of albums from 1983-1993. Not a huge fan of the pastiche stuff on "An Innocent Man". Some catchy stuff, no question, but I don't think I particularly need to regularly hear "Tell Her About It" and stuff like that. "The Bridge" from '86 is pretty bland, and seemed to be the beginning of his weird deal where he decided he wanted to be Ray Charles. "Storm Front" has some good stuff. I probably need to reassess his last album, "River of Dreams", but wasn't a fan of stuff like the title track.

Even though Joel himself hates "Cold Spring Harbor" (apparently due more to the circumstances than the music itself), it's a real gem. Almost like a lost Emitt Rhodes album.

While I think his last decade didn't produce a super ton of great stuff (again, with some key exceptions), I always thought it was a bummer he just gave it up in 1993. I suppose there's a fine line between "packing it up before you've overstayed your welcome" and just being lazy and finding that touring is far more lucrative.

His live shows for the last decade or two have been okay, but a bit hard to listen to as his band, while quite proficient, is on the bland side, and also Joel has dropped the key on just about every song.

While Joel's songs tended to not have a lot of layered multi-part vocals/harmonies (again, with some exceptions), BB fans should still find his 70s and early 80s stuff to be great and melodic, and he often actually had pretty good lyrics too.

Some of his best stuff is the buried album tracks. "All for Leyna", "If I Only Had the Words", all the non-hits on "The Nylon Curtain."

This guy truly had some Lennon *and* McCartney in him. Lennon-esque and McCartney-esque stuff is *all over* "The Nylon Curtain", and there's even a Harrison-esque guitar solo thrown in for good measure.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »

I agree about the album tracks being better. One thing I thought was hilarious was him hating We Didn’t start the fire, calling it the worst melody he’d ever written. You know the Charlie Brown Christmas special where Schroeder plays Jingle Bells with one finger in disdain? That’s what he did when he demonstrated the melody for the interview

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »

I've become a fan of "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" . That's a song I didn't pay much attention to when it came out.
In my present life situation I've been feeling very "inadequate" lately, as my Caregiver status has totally taken over (tip of the hat to all caregivers!). Always second guessing , am I doing all that needs to be done, am I, gulp, Perfect?
This song has really helped. Take a deep breath, get my second wind, lather, rinse, repeat. :-)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:33:49 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »

I appreciate Joel's honesty about his disdain for "We Didn't Start the Fire"; I think he fully realizes it's firmly in the "novelty song" category. But he weirdly does still do it sometimes in concert.

He's pretty much a tour-only guy at this point, and he does arena gigs almost exclusively (and then some stadiums), so he ends up feeling like he can't go too deep. I recall an interview from the last few years where he felt when they did "All for Leyna", the audience didn't care. I still wonder if applause after a song performed in a huge arena could ever feel *that* lackluster. It's not like he plays clubs where you can hear the restlessness during the song. But I digress...

On the other hand, he always rips into "Cold Spring Harbor" even though it's a really good album. I think he has bad memories because of the bad manager situation, and because of the weird mastering issues the album originally had where most of the songs ran too fast and Joel sounded kind of goofy (although even speed-corrected, his voice on that first album is strange and somewhat unlike what his voice sounded like later on).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2018, 10:18:17 AM »

Also worth noting is that Joel has a ton of stuff in the vaults that still hasn't come out. Little dregs of outtakes have been officially released here and there (mainly scattered on that "My Lives" boxed set), and Joel seems to feel even putting that small amount of stuff out is like barrel-scraping. But there is tons of stuff of most of his albums, alternates and totally different songs. Some of it has leaked out over the years, and I've only dabbled into knowing that material myself.

But he should have at least a 2-disc set out for all of his albums.

They did a nice box back in 2007 for "The Stranger", but skipped any studio outtakes and just put live stuff on CD and DVD for that set. That '77 live stuff is *great*, and they need to put the *complete* shows from those gigs instead of excerpts.

They did a "Piano Man" deluxe set a few years later, and finally officially released the excellent 1972 Philly in-studio radio broadcast in pristine quality (it was captured on multi-track), which has a bunch of "Cold Spring Harbor" songs, some that would end up on "Piano Man", and then several totally unreleased songs.

I just recently saw that an deluxe reissue of "52nd Street" was issued in Japan, but it's unfortunately all swag/packaging and nothing new audio-wise. Just original mix and then an old surround mix.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »

I've become a fan of "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" . That's a song I didn't pay much attention to when it came out.
In my present life situation I've been feeling very "inadequate" lately, as my Caregiver status has totally taken over (tip of the hat to all caregivers!). Always second guessing , am I doing all that needs to be done, am I, gulp, Perfect?
This song has really helped. Take a deep breath, get my second wind, lather, rinse, repeat. :-)

Great GREAT song.

Oh and my wife is also a caregiver (she does senior care)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:54:18 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2018, 07:56:11 PM »

I appreciate Joel's honesty about his disdain for "We Didn't Start the Fire"; I think he fully realizes it's firmly in the "novelty song" category. But he weirdly does still do it sometimes in concert.

He's pretty much a tour-only guy at this point, and he does arena gigs almost exclusively (and then some stadiums), so he ends up feeling like he can't go too deep. I recall an interview from the last few years where he felt when they did "All for Leyna", the audience didn't care. I still wonder if applause after a song performed in a huge arena could ever feel *that* lackluster. It's not like he plays clubs where you can hear the restlessness during the song. But I digress...

On the other hand, he always rips into "Cold Spring Harbor" even though it's a really good album. I think he has bad memories because of the bad manager situation, and because of the weird mastering issues the album originally had where most of the songs ran too fast and Joel sounded kind of goofy (although even speed-corrected, his voice on that first album is strange and somewhat unlike what his voice sounded like later on).

From what I've heard, pretty much every concert he will judge what to play next based on the audience response (which ever one of two songs gets the loudest cheers) and more often than not the album track will get chosen

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2018, 10:11:35 PM »

This might be my all time favorite song by him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5g75rHKecM

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »

This might be my all time favorite song by him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5g75rHKecM

Great choice! Apparently this is about the one time (and last time!) he tried heroin.  He sounds a bit like Lennon here too..

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2018, 12:41:42 AM »

Great choice! Apparently this is about the one time (and last time!) he tried heroin.  He sounds a bit like Lennon here too..
Knowing that, lines like "We were all so paralyzed" and "They exhausted our supplies" make sense. He does sound like John Lennon here to me too. He sounds a bit like how John did on the vocal for "How Do You Sleep?". Almost punk-ish and with kind of a sneering attitude.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

Well, it's over. Hopefully the channel will come back soon.
The station is now the Mannheim Steamroller Channel, through Christmas.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »

Sad

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »

Knowing that, lines like "We were all so paralyzed" and "They exhausted our supplies" make sense. He does sound like John Lennon here to me too. He sounds a bit like how John did on the vocal for "How Do You Sleep?". Almost punk-ish and with kind of a sneering attitude.

Lennon (and McCartney and Harrison) sounds are all over "The Nylon Curtain." Several tracks have Lennon-esque lead vocals ("Laura", "Surprises", others), he channels McCartney's on "Allentown" and "Where's the Orchestra?", and we even get a Harrison-esque lead guitar solo on "Laura."

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »

Just read the announcement on FB

Billy Joel channel is up and running again on Sirius/XM channel 30. Until Jan 31.
Listening to it now.
Make it permanent already!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »

FYI- it's back up, but all the "chatter" is old, i.e. from October. Advising that because there has been upcoming concert info given, but it's outdated!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »

Just starting this out... very rough but it is a work in progress

http://firestarters.freeforums.net/

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx