gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:38:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do I get over being TERRIFIED to record myself?  (Read 1464 times)
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

A bit of an intro, I've played music all my life, my family is very music oriented. In the past few years I've taken up guitar and I'm not great but I'm good enough that I can play with my family, including my uncle who is an AMAZING bluegrass player (don't ask). Lately, I've been wanting to record myself just to hear it (even though I really don't have any means of doing so besides a shitty computer mic) but I am TERRIFIED to do so. Not even to share, just record.

How do I get over this?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »

1.Dont Think
2.Press Record
3.Play Something.
4.Press Stop
5.Save File
6.Don't Delete It
7.Upload it somewhere
8.Share it here. We don't bite.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

If I had to answer, I'd probably say something like, oh,

1.Dont Think
2.Press Record
3.Play Something.
4.Press Stop
5.Save File
6.Don't Delete It
7.Upload it somewhere
8.Share it here. We don't bite.

It's like trying anything else: asking someone on a date, meeting new people, moving, changing jobs or schools, whatever. You get over the fear by doing the thing. So just record yourself. It will suck (probably). That's fine, keep at it and if you like it and work at it, you'll get better. Just start recording.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »

Just do it! If you don't like what you hear, you can delete it, start again till you get it right. It actually helps make you a better player/singer as you can relisten to any mistakes you made, and thus improve your technique.

Download Audacity (or garageband if you have a mac) and play around with layering (record a riff over a solid chord structure), play around with effects, etc. It's a great hobby to get into.

Good luck! You'll probably love it once you start!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »

I experienced the same thing when I started recording myself a year or two ago.  I downloaded Audacity and went ahead and did it.  I waited until no one else could hear me, laid down a chord progression and then a vocal track.  The vocal track was horrible so I recorded another one on top of it.  Magically my voice sounded decent at that point.  I posted the track here.  People were generally positive.  I still have my doubts, I still rationalize away compliments, and I still record when no one else is listening, but I don't have a fear of hearing myself.

As others have said, you will just have to do it.  And then post it here so we can have a listen.  Do understand that you may not get a lot of feedback as there just aren't a whole lot of people who comment, but it should be an easy place to start.

Don't keep that talen to yourself, share it.

mps

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »

I don't even know why I recorded myself in the first place. I think I recorded the first song I ever wrote, just to get it down. It seemed like the thing to do if you had a song, and I don't like playing my own songs when dicking around on the guitar. And I knew it was terrible, as was everything else i recorded for the next year or two. All the same, I wish I had those demos I recorded way back when, as they were also the first songs I wrote and it'd be neat to hear them. I lost them when my computer was nicked a few years back.

You mustn't fear recording yourself though! It's a great way to think about your performance.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:21:43 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx