gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:46:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is 1971 the best year in the music history?  (Read 4988 times)
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »

It's well known that 1966-67-68 were years of revolutionary albums in both sides of atlantic but I'm amused of how many great records came out in 1971:

Beach Boys- Surf's Up
Paul Mccartney- Ram
John Lennon- Imagine
The Who- Who's Next
Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
Led Zeppelin- IV
Carole King-Tapestry
David Bowie- Hunky Dory
T. Rex- Electric Warrior
Graham Nash- Songs For The Begginers
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Lou Christie- Paint America Love
The Doors- L.A Woman
Serge Gainsbourg-Histoire De Melody Nelson
Elton John-Madman Across The Water
Harry Nilsson-Nilsson Schmilsson
etc
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »

I think most years are either really good or great years if you dig long enough. So yeah, '71 is a great year.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »

I would go with 1957 or 1966 if I had to pick one. I think 1971 was a great year for music, but it also was when the top 40 started moving away from my tastes. I like most on your list from 71. I would add
Elvis Country by Elvis Presley
There Must Be More To Love Than This by Jerry Lee Lewis.
Rock Around The Country by Bill Haley
Transition by The First Edition
Smash Your Head Against The Wall by John Entwistle
Working Together Ike and Tina Turner
Hot Pants, Apllo Three, Superbad, Sho Is Funky Down Here, all by James Brown
Maybe Tomorrow by The Jackson 5
The Flame
Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

And:

Emmitt Rhodes, Mirror and The American Dream
Harry Nilsson, Aerial Pandemonium Ballet
John Simon, John Simon's Album
Leonard Cohen, Songs of Love and Hate
Melanie, Gather Me

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »

1965-67 in my book. If I had to pick a single year it would be '66.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »

1971 wasn't the best year, you can tell you're stretching when you start naming Lou Christie albums as proof.   No slam to Lou Christie, I love that guy but if he's in your top 10 that's not the best year of all time. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

Sunflowerpet, I've always had a soft spot for 1971. It's hard to say if it was the best year - it's too subjective a question - but I think it's definitely up there. I remember that year well, especially from an AM radio perspective, which is all I had back then, an $8.00 transistor radio. In addition to the great albums of 1971, check out these singles:

"Me And Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin
"You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
"Maggie May" - Rod Stewart
"Beginnings" - Chicago
"Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" - Brenda & The tabulations
"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" - The Bee Gees
"Superstar" - The Carpenters
"That's the way I've Always Heard It Should Be" - Carly Simon
"Mercy Mercy Me" - Marvin Gaye
"Theme From Shaft" - Isaac Hayes
"Joy To The World" - Three Dog Night"
"Wild World" - Cat Stevens
"My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison
"It Don't Come Easy" - Ringo Starr
"Do You Know What I Mean" - Lee Michaels
"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers
"Never can Say Goodbye" - Jackson 5

to name a few...
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

A few others said 1966 and I concur. Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations...
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:21:54 PM by zatch » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »

Popularity isn't, by any means, the best judge of quality, but it's interesting to look at the top 100 lists for both years:
http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1966.htm
http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1971.htm
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »

Then albums, which is determined a bit differently.
http://tsort.info/music/ay1966.htm
http://tsort.info/music/ay1971.htm
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

Damn Knock Three Times was #10 in 1971.  Crazy how songs get forgotten that were so huge.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »

From #47 on that list, one of my most-often-watched videos. Though this was filmed in '72.

Drools
MBE
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »

I have around 20 of the biggest singles from 66 and 71.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »

I went thru that entire site and looked at all the lists of artists, years, decades, who sold the most, who got the most credit etc. and it is so sad how music has declined so much since the late 60s. There were many great artists in the early part of the 20th century and in the golden era of rockNroll from the mid 50s to the mid 60s music was the BEST; a few in the 70s but none of them made it on ANY of those lists due to lack of commercial viability (sales). In the 50s-mid/late 60s music was about quality, and since it's decline its only been about quantity. The lists speak for themselves.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 03:21:03 AM »

I went thru that entire site and looked at all the lists of artists, years, decades, who sold the most, who got the most credit etc. and it is so sad how music has declined so much since the late 60s. There were many great artists in the early part of the 20th century and in the golden era of rockNroll from the mid 50s to the mid 60s music was the BEST; a few in the 70s but none of them made it on ANY of those lists due to lack of commercial viability (sales). In the 50s-mid/late 60s music was about quality, and since it's decline its only been about quantity. The lists speak for themselves.
I have to agree though maybe I would extend the quality period to early seventies.
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »

Sunflowerpet, I've always had a soft spot for 1971. It's hard to say if it was the best year - it's too subjective a question - but I think it's definitely up there. I remember that year well, especially from an AM radio perspective, which is all I had back then, an $8.00 transistor radio. In addition to the great albums of 1971, check out these singles:

"Me And Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin
"You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor
"Maggie May" - Rod Stewart
"Beginnings" - Chicago
"Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" - Brenda & The tabulations
"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" - The Bee Gees
"Superstar" - The Carpenters
"That's the way I've Always Heard It Should Be" - Carly Simon
"Mercy Mercy Me" - Marvin Gaye
"Theme From Shaft" - Isaac Hayes
"Joy To The World" - Three Dog Night"
"Wild World" - Cat Stevens
"My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison
"It Don't Come Easy" - Ringo Starr
"Do You Know What I Mean" - Lee Michaels
"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers
"Never can Say Goodbye" - Jackson 5

to name a few...

Great singles indeed, and talking about "How can you mend a broken heart" by The Bee Gees I've remembered that I had forgotten "Trafalgar" album which is a masterpiece.

1971 wasn't the best year, you can tell you're stretching when you start naming Lou Christie albums as proof.   No slam to Lou Christie, I love that guy but if he's in your top 10 that's not the best year of all time. 
"Paint America Love" is a terrific album IMHO, great orchestrations and very cinematic in sound and lyrics with a skillful production by Lou and Tony Romeo.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »

A friend of mine gave me a usb stick wtih the top 100 billboard singles from every year on it, it starts in 1952 or something and runs up to present.  The very early 50's you don't get much great stuff on the lists until about 55 or 56, then it's "HEL YEAH" up until about 1984 or so... then it's kind of favorites I remember from being a kid up until 1997 or 1998, then it's just trash after that, lol.  Very few exceptions. 
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »

The landscape of commercial music changed drastically after 1967. If you look at ALL the great artists and groups from the mid 50s UNTIL the late 60s its staggering. After that its empty watered down garbage almost entirely. Look at how fresh and fun rockNroll was that first decade (56-66), the times got so negative and the mediocre music reflected it. Then look at the mid 70s, it was like a new renaissance- not only were the Beach Boys back on top for a couple years but then the world got the Ramones, and thank god for them- even if they never had big hit records, you can't beat those great songs and the way they revolutionized rockNroll!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »

Yep, nothing like those peppy Ramones, with upbeat, positive, singalong anthems such as Beat On The Brat, 53rd & 3rd (about cheery male prostitution), Blitzkrieg Bop, I Don't Wanna Go Down To The Basement, I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

The landscape of commercial music changed drastically after 1967. If you look at ALL the great artists and groups from the mid 50s UNTIL the late 60s its staggering. After that its empty watered down garbage almost entirely. Look at how fresh and fun rockNroll was that first decade (56-66), the times got so negative and the mediocre music reflected it. Then look at the mid 70s, it was like a new renaissance- not only were the Beach Boys back on top for a couple years but then the world got the Ramones, and thank god for them- even if they never had big hit records, you can't beat those great songs and the way they revolutionized rockNroll!

I don't understand your line of thought. Yes the BB were back in the spotlight in the mid 70s...with a COVER!? Ramones just tried to commercialize what the british punk bands did but with little success.

In the early 70s you had Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan on the radio. In the mid 70s that became Boston, REO Speedwagon, AC DC, ZZ Top....

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:50 AM »

I don't understand your line of thought. Yes the BB were back in the spotlight in the mid 70s...with a COVER!? Ramones just tried to commercialize what the british punk bands did but with little success.

In the early 70s you had Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan on the radio. In the mid 70s that became Boston, REO Speedwagon, AC DC, ZZ Top....

"Commercialize what the british bands were doing" HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? That is one of the absolute most ignorant, asinine remarks I've ever heard. You couldn't be any more wrong. The Ramones were the group that EVERY english punk band drew from. They single-handedly rejuvenated the spirit of rock by bringing it back to the primitive form it had in its heyday.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »

The Ramones were on the radio? What station? Certainly not mid 70's top 40.
Allan Heron
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »

"Commercialize what the british bands were doing" HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? That is one of the absolute most ignorant, asinine remarks I've ever heard. You couldn't be any more wrong. The Ramones were the group that EVERY english punk band drew from. They single-handedly rejuvenated the spirit of rock by bringing it back to the primitive form it had in its heyday.

Absolutely.  The one gig that was at the fulcrum of that period was at the Roundhouse when the Ramones were supporting The Flaming Groovies (itself some kind of passing on of the baton in a way) where members of the Clash and Sex Pistols were sneaking in via the toilet window!!

The Stranglers were at the foot of that bill if I remember correctly.   Definitely one to attend if you had a Tardis available to you.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx