gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:12:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Girls (My first gig in the music industry.)  (Read 3253 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »

Hey all,

So I was going through some CD's of my older stuff, and came across this song I wrote back in the day.

The song is called "Summer Girls", which is something I wrote in the style of the Beach Boys. I came up with the track, wrote the chorus + pre hook when I was around 16. Around this time I was in full Beach Boys mode. Life was good. I was recording all the time, building my skills. I was getting backstage passes to all BW related events. I had a lot of friends. I was in the midst of a relationship with my 1st girlfriend. I was very blessed at the time.

Fast forward a few years.

My time in the Brian Wilson "inner circle" had come and gone. My parents had just gotten divorced, and I was on the brink of being kicked out of my house (for the 2nd time). I messed things up with my girlfriend, so she was gone. Along with her went my circle of friends. I stopped caring about my music. I had a shitty job at an indoor amusement park, and spent all my money on.. bad stuff. I was feeling pretty hopeless at the time. To make matters worse, BW was about to perform SMiLE in a few weeks at Carnegie Hall. There was no way I'd be able to afford a ticket. Or was there?

Determined to score a ticket for the show, I surf around the net looking for money making opportunities, and came across a Craigslist ad. It was posted by a production house looking for ONE Beach Boys imitation song for a commercial (advertising beach towels, IIRC). The pay was $250. Cha-ching!

So, I immediately thought about that song I started called "Summer Girls" and sent them the rough demo I had. Surprisingly, they responded and told me to finish it and re-submit. Being the impulsive kid I was, I rushed through the verses, added all the harmonies.. fixed some out-of-time drum stuff, and resubmitted the track within hours.

They accepted it!

I went down to their studio in the city, masters in hand, and collected my $250. I cashed the check immediately, and that night I was sitting in Carnegie Hall watching Brian perform the hell out of SMiLE. As anyone who saw it knows, it was an incredible experience. Brian never sounded better in a live setting. Even got to run into Darian and Jeff outside the venue before hand.

..and that's how I made my first few bucks in the music industry. All to see SMiLE. And looking back on it, perhaps SMiLE is the reason I continued to pursue a career in music.  Cool

This is the rough mix I found. Listening to it 9 years later, of course I think it sucks, and I can see why they wanted to get their hands on the masters (to mix and FIX the song!).

Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading!

https://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/summer-girls

-J
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:22:30 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:00:01 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:00:15 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »

That's a great story. Synchronistic.  See what happens when you want something bad enough Smiley
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »

Thanks seltab for sharing stories of your youth, I find the recording aspects very close to my own heart. That's the type of stuff a lot of us here can relate to, I think. When I learned to record on my TASCAM, it was such a happy time, a carefree, youthful time. Learning how to record. Going to see Smile. Never got to hang around Brian, though Shocked Smiley I can only imagine how thrilling that was...Also, cashing the check and knowing you were jussttt gonna make the show that night. You put me in the moment, man.

You're welcome and thank you for reading. Indeed, those were some magical times, looking back.

Re: check - Yeah, it's kinda amazing how it all came together like that. It's funny, I just watched that new Eagles documentary last night. One of the guys said "When you're living life, it can seem crazy and chaotic. Yet, when you look back, it reads like a perfectly written novel."

Not caring about your music, spending money on bad things... then having a great concert revive your spirit. I can relate to that sh*t!

Right on brother! Sometimes that's all you need to put your life back on a positive track.

That's a great story. Synchronistic.  See what happens when you want something bad enough Smiley

Thank you WH. Yes, so true! We have a lot to be grateful for.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:41:01 AM »

Beautiful story, Man!
Thanks for sharing!
Great job on that song too, especially for a 16 year old kid!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:09:31 AM »

Great song and story!

There's no greater band to get you out of a bad time than The Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »

Beautiful story, Man!
Thanks for sharing!

Great song and story!

Thanks guys! I remember being so amped at the time about the chord changes haha. Probably the best song I wrote as a kid.

I think one of these days I'll re-record it with better sounds, better vocals and a better mix.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:25 AM »

Beautiful story, Man!
Thanks for sharing!

Great song and story!

Thanks guys! I remember being so amped at the time about the chord changes haha. Probably the best song I wrote as a kid.

I think one of these days I'll re-record it with better sounds, better vocals and a better mix.

Dish out parts to us in the collab thread!
We'll make your song sound HUGE!
I'd love to help out if you'll let me!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »

Hey Seltaeb

Did you ever get to rerecord this one?

I think it's a very cool song. Fits the formula to a T & a fun tribute. It reminds me a lot of some of Jeffrey Foskett's best Beach Boys pastiches. (And that is meant as high-praise indeed!))

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »

Hey Seltaeb

Did you ever get to rerecord this one?

I think it's a very cool song. Fits the formula to a T & a fun tribute. It reminds me a lot of some of Jeffrey Foskett's best Beach Boys pastiches. (And that is meant as high-praise indeed!))

Hey man! Not yet. Been focused on my pop / R&B stuff as of late. I released an album in Japan a few months ago.. went to #4 on the iTunes R&B charts, and top 40 on the main charts! Now working on a follow up single + album. I feel like BW in 1964 without the ground breaking talent or worldwide popularity, lol.

I'd really love to get a band in a studio with vintage gear and record this one the right way at some point. Maybe try to give it a 'Today' / 'Summer Days' type of a vibe sonically...

Hope all is well with u bro!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »

Awesome! What's the name of the album?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »

It's called "ALIVE". I posted up some screenshots from when it was still climbing the charts... (it was released June 19th!): https://www.facebook.com/jhypemusic
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »

It's called "ALIVE". I posted up some screenshots from when it was still climbing the charts... (it was released June 19th!): https://www.facebook.com/jhypemusic

Cool, will check it out. I played your version of Waterspout at a party last week and forced everyone to listen to it. They thought it was great. I also played parts of Egon Spengler's SMiLE recreation and the reception was equally warm.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »

Cool, will check it out. I played your version of Waterspout at a party last week and forced everyone to listen to it. They thought it was great. I also played parts of Egon Spengler's SMiLE recreation and the reception was equally warm.

Oh, nice man. Thanks for doing that. And I agree Egon Spengler's SMiLE is insane. And he does a sick Carl impression!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:49:56 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »

I saw this when you first posted it and thought I commented on it. I see now that I have not. Great story, and very authentic pastiche! Nice jazzy chords thrown in at 2.09.

Thanks man! That little jazz progression was actually the first section of the song that I wrote. Weird, right?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »

I was looking around for the Stevie track and came across this one.  Cool.  When you get to the Big Time all your demos will be right here at Smiley.  Good Luck

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx