gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the Tracks #25: Beach Boys (aka Beach Boys 85)  (Read 29650 times)
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »

I really enjoy this album, a lot more than KTSA. Was blasting it at near-full volume last night. To me the production really works well for the band and the songs are solid. I enjoy several 80's artists which might be why I'm not put off by the production, though don't take that as me apologising for the album.

1. Getcha Back - love playing this loud.
2. Where I Belong
3. It's Gettin' Late
4. She Believes in Love Again - I must be one of the few who wasn't aghast when Bruce first said he'd re-worked this song for the C50 album  Tongue
5. Male Ego
6. It's Just a Matter of Time
7. I'm So Lonely - these 3 Brian songs (5-7) I really like. They're familiar but with a twist.
8. California Calling
9. Maybe I Don't Know
10. Crack at Your Love
11. Passing Friend - a little on the long side, imo.
12. I Do Love You
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

1. Where I Belong
2. Getcha Back
3. It's Gettin' Late
4. Male Ego
5. I Do Love You

6. California Calling
7. Maybe I Don't Know
8. It's Just a Matter of Time
9. Crack At Your Love
10. She Believes in Love Again
11. I'm So Lonely
12. Passing Friend

Far from a classic, but a passable collection with some decent highlights.  I'll take the blatant 80's sound here over some of the other productions they had before and after.  It's not any worse than what most of their contemporaries were doing at the time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:02:52 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »

1. Where I Belong - exceptionally good. By far the best thing they did in the entire decade. One of Carl's very finest. Harmony heaven!

2. I Do Love You - a great Stevie Wonder song (unlike Culture Club he didn't just toss 'em some glorified b-side...), brilliantly sung by Carl, who is incidentally on terrific form vocally for the entire album.

3. It's Gettin' Late - amazing intro leads to a nice, funky, Prince-like track. Carl used the '80's recording tools to good effect hence why this song, whilst obviously being a product of the 1980's, still sounds great.

4. Male Ego - Brian's sole decent contribution to the album. It's got the melodic genius and humour sadly missing from all his other songs here (and from most of his other '80's output unfortunately)

5. It's Just A Matter Of Time - nicely sung, but very slight.

6. Getcha Back - well, i don't really rate this song particuarly... It sounds like a demo, Mike's singing is creepy, the whole song is just... meh. That it managed to do ok as a single utterly baffles me...

7. Maybe I Know - there's an ok song in there somewhere, possibly...

The rest of the album I dislike, especially I'm So Lonely which is horrendous! So a largely unimpressive bunch of songs, but with 3 or 4 absolute gems. Which is more than can be said for Keepin' The Summer Alive, MIU or Summer In Paradise.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »

I love this album.

Passing Friend
Crack At Your Love
Maybe I Don’t Know
She Believes In Love Again
I’m So Lonely
It’s Gettin’ Late
Getcha Back
Where I Belong
I Do Love You
Male Ego
California Calling

It’s Just A Matter of Time

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »

I gave this album a listen few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. I actually really dig the cheesy 80's production at all.  Cool

Great
1. Where I Belong
2. Getcha Back
3. Male Ego
4. I Do Love You

Good
5. It's Getting Late
6. Maybe I Don't Know
7. California Calling
8. She Believes In Love Again

Decent
9. Passing Friend
10. I'm So Lonely
11. Crack At Your Love
12. It's Just A Matter Of Time
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:30:46 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »

I'm just tripping over the fact that I apparently am the only person who LIKES this album! LOL

It's one of my most played BB albums! I really like it, but it's fun ripping things to shreds!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »

10. California Calling- Is that Adrian Baker on the falsetto? It sounds like him, rather than someone good. Say what you will about the production on the rest of the album...at least they sounded current on much of it. This sounds like a BB tribute band for a Carnival Cruise Line commercial. The key change is

I'm pretty sure that's Brian on the falsetto. But I'm not sure.

8. It's Just a Matter of Time- I REALLY like the drum programming...if you replaced it with an 808 but kept the exact same rhythm, it becomes a Timbaland beat. The song is the perfect length, as there's not much here. It's slight,  yet I like it. I wish Brian's co-lead would've been mixed a bit higher, as him and Mike blend really well here. I like the harmonica part.

Yeah, I don't understand why Mike was mixed so high. His super nasalness does not work in this type of environment. I have the same problem with "Goin' On". It just didn't make sense that he was mixed so highly in the harmonies. I guess maybe they thought he had the most "commercial" voice so they wanted to feature it? I don't know.

7. Male Ego- Brian's vocals are strained throughout most of the song, and the lyrics make one pause. 'Chasin' the tasty ladies' followed by 'we'll be doin it in our head' makes me wonder if that's a veiled masturbation reference. Tasty ladies? Is he singing about cunnilingus? Seriously?! That said, the song is so mindblowingly dumb that it turns into a great song just by its sheer audacity. A guilty pleasure.

That one part is actually "doin' it in our 80s", not "head". And honestly, yeah it's a guilty pleasure. But its so thoroughly Brian, it's awesome.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's Brian on the falsetto. But I'm not sure.
The more I hear it, the more it sounds like Baker to me. It's the same voice as from the California Dreamin' cover, that's for sure. It's definitely not Brian, as the vocal is too 'bouncy' to be him. Might possibly be Bruce.

That one part is actually "doin' it in our 80s", not "head".

Durrr... 'ladies' and '80s' rhyme, so yeah. Song is catchy as hell...I might have short-shifted it in my initial rating LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »

I enjoy all Beach Boys' albums, but I have to work at liking this one. It's the least Beach Boy-ish album they ever made. No Dennis, Levine's production, material from Culture Club, and Mike Love is almost non-existent. But, the biggest problem is Brian. First, you wouldn't recognize his vocals if you weren't a fan, and, unfortunately, it was a sign of things to come. And, secondly, this is the most  boring, non-creative music Brian ever submitted to a project. And, that was also a sign of things to come. They had one ace - Carl Wilson - and they played it often. It's too bad they didn't have the material to match Carl's talent; he was peaking vocally. To think that Carl rejoined the band...for this crap. This was the first BB album on CD, and it sounded great; crystal clear.

1. Where I Belong - one of Carl's best 2-3 songs he ever wrote; wish he had done more like this

2. Getcha Back - some people like Brian's tag vocal; I find it underwhelming

3. California Calling - Ringo Starr?

I can't go on, but....

12. Male Ego - so overrated; horrendous vocal by Brian; more sick lyrics, I could write a song this good, seriously
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »

I love this album.

Passing Friend
Crack At Your Love
Maybe I Don’t Know
I’m So Lonely
It’s Gettin’ Late
Getcha Back
Where I Belong
I Do Love You
Male Ego
California Calling

I can't tell which side is up here...which is first and which is last? Huh
Paulos
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »

I really like Where I Belong and quite like Getcha Back though much prefer the live version with Dave singing lead. I'd rather shave my balls with a rusty knife than listen to the rest of this album ever again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 04:43:08 AM »

Seeing as That Lucky Old Son Of A Bitch put Male Ego on his, I guess I can too.

Right.

1. It's Getting Late - Wouldn't sound out of place on an early Prince record. Carl absolutely slays. Love the way the vocals are digitally woven/played with too. The Beach Boys of the future right here.

2. Male Ego -The exact opposite of The Beach Boys of the future. So ecstatically dumb. Carl's 'why-a-why-whyawaitawhile' backing is so cool. Surprisingly inventive. Kinda sounds like the only song Brian's mind turned up for.

3. Getcha Back - You can hear Brian trying to produce this one - baritone saxes, prime 60's percussion hits - and the keychange. Love BW's vocal line in the fade too. Cracking stuff. Only downside is Mike's lead really, it's not really his sort of tune.

4. It's Just A Matter Of Time - sweet. Although not the Brook Benton tune, which I thought it was going to be the first time I listened to this album.

5. Maybe I Don't Know - a decent Carl jam

Here we get dodgy. I kinda like Crack At Your Love while it's on, but it's a bit slight

I'd say the rest are all of equal nothingness until
California Calling (BOLLOCKS)
Where I Belong (but then I hate cheesy 80's power ballads)

God, can you imagine the reaction of the band when BW88 hit? 'That bastard has been making out like he's only written doo-wop songs for the past DECADE, and now THIS?' A mix between the highlights of this and BW88 would make a respectable record.

1. Getcha Back
2. Walkin' The Line
3. It's Gettin' Late
4. Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
5. Crack At Your Love
6. Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long
7. Love & Mercy
8. It's Just A Matter Of Time
9. There's So Many
10. Maybe I Don't Know
11. Melt Away
12. One For The Boys
13. Rio Grande

There, I've just saved The Beach Boys' artistic legitimacy in the 80's.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »

12. Male Ego - so overrated; horrendous vocal by Brian; more sick lyrics, I could write a song this good, seriously

Cool, I want to hear these songs.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »

Said earlier the video version of It's Gettin' Late is better than the album version. It is because of the extended outro and it can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwyYy3a_WY

Achtung: Hot blonde girl featured in the video.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:48:19 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »

I love this album.

Passing Friend
Crack At Your Love
Maybe I Don’t Know
I’m So Lonely
It’s Gettin’ Late
Getcha Back
Where I Belong
I Do Love You
Male Ego
California Calling

I can't tell which side is up here...which is first and which is last? Huh

Passing Friend is my #1.
Yeah...I know.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »

Wonder what the 85 Oh Lord sounded like...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »

Cool, I want to hear these songs.

Just wanted to see if you were paying attention! Grin  Hey, SOMEBODY didn't want "Male Ego" on the album.

But, "Male ego" could go on a someday rarities CD - songs that didn't appear on albums, other than comps. The Beach Boys have some:

- Breakaway
- Here Comes The Night (single mix)
- Chasin' The Sky
- East Meets West
- Male Ego
- Happy Endings
- Rock And Roll To The Rescue
- California Dreamin'
- Crocodile Rock
- Problem Child
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »

Wonder what the 85 Oh Lord sounded like...

Me too. Me too.

Passing Friend is my #1.
Yeah...I know.

Actuallly, I really liked that song, up until the last verse. If it had ended where I had suggested it in my review up top, it'd have been better. That last minute was completely superfluous and completely took me out of it. It's the same problem 'Livin' with a Heartache' had.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »

Passing Friend is my #1.
Yeah...I know.

Actuallly, I really liked that song, up until the last verse. If it had ended where I had suggested it in my review up top, it'd have been better. That last minute was completely superfluous and completely took me out of it. It's the same problem 'Livin' with a Heartache' had.
[/quote]

I like the groove to Passing Friend quite a bit, it's one of those tracks that I know is overlong but I don't mind because I can just jam to it. The one track I feel is held back by being too long is I Do Love You.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »

^ For me, I Do Love You is just the right length! LOL

All criticism aside, even the worst tracks on this album IMHO are better than Going South and Full Sail.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »

1 "Male Ego": The most "Brian" song on the album. It rocks. Great vocals from all. Best Brian vocals on the album and definitely the best of Mikes, cuz he's not trying to be super nasal.
2 "It's Gettin' Late": Classic '80s soul-pop. How did The Beach Boys not land a hit with this? The vocals are insane. They almost sound sampled? Is that Brian on the high part? He sounds great.
3 "Getcha Back": Not a great song, but you got Brian on the high part and Mike doing his thing. Just like the old days. I can see why it was a hit.
4 "California Calling": Shows that Brian could make something like the early stuff quite easily. He just doesn't want to. I like it. It's The Beach Boys doing what they used to do. Is it cynical? I'd like to think not.
5 "Crack At Your Love": It should be bad. But it's so incredibly inoffensive. It's time stamped to 1984/1985, but that's ok.
6 "Maybe I Don't Know": Slick '80s pop. I don't hate it. I'm honestly surprised they didn't get hits out of songs like this. They surely were contemporary
7 "I'm So Lonely": Another one that's really not good. Horrible '80s production. Lame sax solo. But I like it. It's stuck in my head a lot.
8 "She Believes In Love Again": Bruce apparently trying to be Brian Adams or Rod Stewart. Another guilty pleasure.
9 "Where I Belong": I heard that this was some kinda Carl classic, but it's just kinda boring. Then again, I disliked a lot of these songs at first, and then I came around.
10 "It's Just A Matter Of Time: Probably one of the lamest songs Brian ever did with The Beach Boys. I can still listen to it, but its def one of his worst.
11 "I Do Love You": Sounds like Stevie Wonder. Probably cuz he wrote it. Not horrible.
11 "Passing Friend": Just unremarkable '80s pop. Carl's vocals are cool, but I dunno.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »

It hurts me to say this about a Beach Boys album, but I actually hate this one. The production is downright awful (it even sounds more dated now than any of their 1960s albums) and the songs are going absolutely nowhere.

1. Where I Belong - Not a song that catches the ears right away (at least not mine), but this is a great piece of work.
2. Getcha Back - Not one of Mike's better leads, but it's a very catchy song.
3. California Calling - A reasonable attempt at writing a second Surfin' USA.

Everything else on this album is IMO just as bad as anything on Summer in Paradise and should just cease to excist for all I care.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:24:15 PM by shelter » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

At first I really didn't like this album...I heard nothing that would really draw me back to the record. But something did. It's grown on me quite a bit the last few months.

1. Getcha Back - a perfect example of how a Beach Boys song should sound in the 80s - and they pull it off so well.
2. I'm So Lonely - a perfect example of how a Brian Wilson song should sound in the 80s
3. She Believes In Love Again - Ok, it sounds stereotypical 80s, but it's a great cut. Carl and Bruce's vocals are great.
4. Maybe I Don't Know - Ok, cheesy electric solos, but that's a catchy chorus.
5. Passing Friend - the instrumentals are great, Carl's voice, the harmonies, it's a great song.
6. Crack At Your Love - love the backing harmonies for this one.
7. Male Ego - love the chords, melody. Creepy as hell, but amazing nonetheless haha
8. Where I Belong - great harmonies.
9. I Do Love You - tasteful
10. It's Getting Late
11. It's Just A Matter Of Time
12. California Calling - the one song I was sure Mike Love wrote, turned out to be BW/AJ tune.

The Beach Boys (85) is a very cohesive album. Sure, the songs are almost predictable, there aren't too many "wow" moments (unless you're shocked by the lyrics of Male Ego, then there are plenty), but the singing is fantastic, the harmonies are some of the best they'd done in a very long time. It really needed more upbeat tracks, catchy hooks, and less solo guitar. But in the end, I can say that I'm glad my favorite band released a synth-drenched 80s album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:57 PM »

A nice album, even though there's nothing really exciting about it. As far as I'm concerned, MUCH better than the dreadful KTSA but not half as good as the Light Album. Grew up in the 1980s so personally I don't mind the production all that much, even though the synths and drum machines could've been used in a much more imaginative way.

1. Getcha Back - far and away the album's biggest highlight
2. Male Ego
3. It's Gettin' Late
4. Where I Belong
5. I'm So Lonely
6. It's Just a Matter of Time
7. Crack at Your Love
8. California Calling
9. Maybe I Don't Know
10. She Believes in Love Again

11. I Do Love You - forgettable
12. Passing Friend
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »

I loathe this album.

B-
Getcha Back

C+
Where I Belong
It's Gettin' Late

C
Male Ego
California Calling

C-
Crack at Your Love

D
I'm So Lonely
It's Just a Matter of Time

F
Maybe I Don't Know
Passing Friend
I Do Love You

Off the charts
She Believes in Love Again

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx