gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:15:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Name  (Read 10139 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »

What name do you all like

The Pendletons

Carl and the Passions

Beach Boys

I had a fast Life
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »

Beach Boys win it for me.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »

I prefer "America's Band featuring Mike Love of The Beach Boys" or "Endless Summer Beach Band".

Or my personal favorite ""A Tribute To The Beach Boys Featuring Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, David Marks, Glen Campbell, Dean Torrance, and John Stamos".

I heard all of those names are MAJOR ticket draws. As is a concert listed as "Mike Love". That would bring it tons of people.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:49:53 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »

I prefer "America's Band featuring Mike Love of The Beach Boys" or "Endless Summer Beach Band".

Or my personal favorite ""A Tribute To The Beach Boys Featuring Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, David Marks, Glen Campbell, Dean Torrance, and John Stamos".

I heard all of those names are MAJOR ticket draws. As is a concert listed as "Mike Love". That would bring it tons of people.

I'd pay to see Beachy Carl's Pendletons.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »

The Beach Boys.

The name is brilliant...conjures up images of surf, sun, and guys singing beautiful harmonies. It kinda says: We're the kings of surf music. I do sometimes wonder how different their success would've been had they stuck with the name "The Pendletons"

"The Pendletons" is a far less stereotypical name for surf music - thus maybe their more artistic ventures would have been taken more seriously in later years?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »

Is it the Pendletons or the Pendletones? I've seen both in books and on the web and I'm clueless as to which is correct.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »

Beach Boys is the perfect name. It's right up there with the great band names like Van Halen, Einsturzende Neubauten, Black Sabbath and Dead Kennedys. If your band is great enough, it will transcend the possible dumbness of the name and elevate that name into greatness, The Beach Boys being a prime example.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »

The Beach.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:45:04 AM »

^ Nah... Brian had a point alright, but I'm glad they didn't change it.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:28:41 AM »

A classic: "The Bitch Boys"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

'The Beach Boys' is a terrible name, and it really damaged the group's reputation from 1965 onwards. ('The Pendletons' and 'Carl and the Passions' would have been even worse -- too redolent of 50's doo wop.)

I mean,  most of the names of bands formed in the early 60's came to sound a bit dated later in the decade -- Gerry and the Pacemakers, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Four Seasons, even the Beatles. But the name, 'the Beach Boys', unlike most of those other names, seems too tied down to a particular fad : surfing.

The Beatles were allowed to go from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to "Tomorrow Never Knows" without people holding the naivete of those earlier songs against them, in a way that the Beach Boys weren't. 'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.

Would the Boys have better withstood the battering that their reputation and image underwent in the late 60's, if the group name were 'the Kingsmen',  or 'the Ventures', for instance?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.
Well, that is because Surfin' USA and Little Deuce Coupe are better songs than Heroes and Villains.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »

'Surfin' USA' and 'Little Deuce Coup' always loomed too large in the mind of the public, even while they were producing 'Heroes and Villains' -- and for that, I blame the band's name.
Well, that is because Surfin' USA and Little Deuce Coupe are better songs than Heroes and Villains.

Oh no you didn't!

- Dr. Seuss
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »

Oh no you didn't!
Smiley

H&V is not even a song, just a whole lot of snippets spliced together. Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »

Oh no you didn't!
Smiley

You're not even a song!
 Razz

- Dr. Seuss
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »

Oh no you didn't!

You're not even a song!
 Razz
You're a towel. Smiley

(South Park reference).
Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:41:09 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »

Oh no you didn't!

You're not even a song!
 Razz
You're a towel. Smiley

(South Park reference).
Smiley

You're a turd sandwich!

(Another South Park reference)

- Dr. Seuss
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »

Stay thirsty, my friends..... Roll Eyes
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

Stay thirsty, my friends..... Roll Eyes

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »

LOL LOL LOL

- Dr. Seuss
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:13:16 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

That's hilarious!
Haha.

- Dr. Seuss
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

The Beach.

I think this would have been perfect, or as perfect as possible while providing continuity.  I love the so-called fun-in-the-sun stuff, but I agree that their name (and Mike Love) was limiting and cost them some credibility, as foolish as that may be.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx