gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:58:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dream about the Beach Boys  (Read 10099 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »

Last night I had a dream that I was at blockbuster and found a movie called 'Life is For the Living'. I rented it, and it was an action movie from the late 70s or early 80s with famous action stars which are unfamiliar to my awaken self. But also in the movie were Dennis and Carl Wilson. Dennis had his Bambu era look, but Carl looked more well trimmed. Closer to an 80s Carl. Carl had a more prominent role in that his charactor was shipping cocaine. It was just like one small bag that he had to take, but he was very careless with it and eventually lost it. His charactor was always smiling and nice. He finally found a puddle of water with spilled cocaine in the middle of a corn field. For some reason a black woman was there by the puddle to interview him. Smiling, Carl told the woman that  the cocaine was still good with a big smile on his face. Dennis showed up every once in a while, mainly yelling unintelligble things at other criminals with his raspy voice. He was a much more believable bad guy.  Cool Guy

I remember thinking, I was going to ask about the movie on this board and ask why I had never heard or read about this movie before. Then I woke up.

So anyway, just wondering what kinds of dreams others have had about the Beach Boys, I would be interested to read about them here. (surely this has been done before on this board, but I couldn't find it).

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:12:23 AM »

Last night I had a dream that I was at blockbuster and found a movie called 'Life is For the Living'. I rented it, and it was an action movie from the late 70s or early 80s with famous action stars which are unfamiliar to my awaken self. But also in the movie were Dennis and Carl Wilson. Dennis had his Bambu era look, but Carl looked more well trimmed. Closer to an 80s Carl. Carl had a more prominent role in that his charactor was shipping cocaine. It was just like one small bag that he had to take, but he was very careless with it and eventually lost it. His charactor was always smiling and nice. He finally found a puddle of water with spilled cocaine in the middle of a corn field. For some reason a black woman was there by the puddle to interview him. Smiling, Carl told the woman that  the cocaine was still good with a big smile on his face. Dennis showed up every once in a while, mainly yelling unintelligble things at other criminals with his raspy voice. He was a much more believable bad guy.  Cool Guy

I remember thinking, I was going to ask about the movie on this board and ask why I had never heard or read about this movie before. Then I woke up.

So anyway, just wondering what kinds of dreams others have had about the Beach Boys, I would be interested to read about them here. (surely this has been done before on this board, but I couldn't find it).

reminds me somewhat of American Gangster
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

Used to dream about finding a music shop with racks of unreleased BBs stuff - official and otherwise, more than I could even carry to the counter, let alone listen to in a lifetime!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

Used to dream about finding a music shop with racks of unreleased BBs stuff - official and otherwise, more than I could even carry to the counter, let alone listen to in a lifetime!

I have dreamt about it many times. I find a music shop with tons of rare BBs cds full of title tracks that I don't recognize, but there are too many of those cds and I don't have enough money to buy them!! So the dream turns into a nightmare...

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »

I have dreamt about it many times. I find a music shop with tons of rare BBs cds full of title tracks that I don't recognize, but there are too many of those cds and I don't have enough money to buy them!! So the dream turns into a nightmare...

Yeah, I think I have had one like that as well. So much as to hear really cool music in my dreams that I don't remember when I wake up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »

A few months ago, I had a dream I was in a record shop and they had a deluxe 2CD SMiLE set with t-shirt for only $20. I was psyched out of my mind to find such a bargain. I bragged to my friends and tried on the shirt in the store. Then I woke up, realized it was only a dream, and felt miserable for the next few hours.

Back when BWRG was about to be released, I had a dream that I was sitting with Brian at the piano, and he played one of the songs he was recording for the album. I remember it being such a beautiful song (of course I can't remember the actual song). I was sitting next to BRIAN WILSON at a piano. He was playing me unreleased/unheard songs. I was ecstatic. Then I woke up, realized it was only a dream, and felt miserable for the rest of the day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

I've had a few....probably more than I can remember. None of my dreams make much sense, though, so there's always an element of what the f.... thrown in.

1) Was at a BB 50th show, seats pretty much ON the stage, sitting behind a railing. I was sitting right of Brian, looking at him while he was playing piano. He looked up, smiled, and waved at me. A very jealous girl who was sitting next to me got pretty pissed and told me "he doesn't do that!".

2)Another was at a BB 50th show, this time I was sitting way in the back and eventually by the end of the dream made my way down to the front, where the BBs were giving a post-show interview (I know, wtf), Conan O'Brien was the "host" (again, makes no sense), and I sat down at a bar stool and was watching them get interviewed.

3)Was at a flea market, the whole dream was kinda wierd and made no sense, but one part I remember very vivdly was walking in between sections, and spotting a black and white poster of 1976-era Brian in his robe. I was checking the poster out, and Brian's mouth moved in the poster and spoke to me. I do clearly remember what he said, but I'm saving that for me!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »

I used to have this same dream quite often too! Thumbing through the BBs section of some unknown record store and finding all these previously unseen album covers with track listings I've never heard of. I always got a feeling like, "How did I never know about these records?!"

More recently though it seems my BBs related dreams involve more personal interaction with the guys, always the Wilson brothers. It's always a "dream come true" scenario -- rehearsing with the guys, playing a gig with the guys, or maybe writing a song with Brian.

Nice to know I'm not alone.  Embarrassed
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

You know, I don't think one needs drugs to write a psychadelic song. Just use a dream for inspiration. I did that for a song I wrote, and trying to describe a dream in lyric form is kind of funny. Plus may be the best lyrics I have ever written. Not saying much. Razz

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

You know, I don't think one needs drugs to write a psychadelic song. Just use a dream for inspiration. I did that for a song I wrote, and trying to describe a dream in lyric form is kind of funny. Plus may be the best lyrics I have ever written. Not saying much. Razz

Have you ever lucid dreamed before?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:28:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »

You mean where you know your dreaming and you can control it? I did once. After watching the movie Waking Life, I did the light switch trick and it didn't turn off. So I thought I could do what ever I wanted. I kissed a girl in the room and started flying around.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »

You mean where you know your dreaming and you can control it? I did once. After watching the movie Waking Life, I did the light switch trick and it didn't turn off. So I thought I could do what ever I wanted. I kissed a girl in the room and started flying around.

That's great! I did once as well: I was being chased by a gang of people down a city street, then I stopped running, realized I was dreaming, looked around at an empty street, and went flying above the town I was in (interesting how flying is one of the most common activities in lucid dreaming).

Anywho, on par with your initial post: I wonder what creative avenues one could open up in a lucid dream....whether figuring out a melody in complete peaceful consciousness, or lyrical writing, etc.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »

I think that it is interesting when we study our dreams. I have been thinking a lot about the Adult/Child album and what might have been if the band was fully behind Brian. The album featured mostly the 3 Wilsons, who were all doing drugs at the time. One of the songs was 'Life is for the Living'. I think the black woman who interviewed Carl might have been the lady that sang with him on his solo albums.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »

I had a crazy Beach Boys dream last night. In my dream, I was myself, but I was also Bruce. I found myself on stage with the M&B band. The theater we were in was fairly small, with maybe several hundred seats, but only about 20 bored-looking people in attendance. The band was about to start playing 'Kokomo,' with me on bass, but as the song started I realized I didn't know how to play 'Kokomo.' I kept screwing up so I decided to pretend I was sick and stopped playing. I watched the rest of the show from the side of the stage. At one point some random rich dude dressed like kinda Elvis and with really nice hair came out, accompanied by two chicks, who both proceeded to dance around the stage and flirt with everyone. The guy with nice hair played with the band for a few songs and seemed to be a nuisance. Mike was loving every minute of the show. I decided to get back out on stage and play bass for the encore, which was just 'Don't Worry Baby.' I remembered how to play it on the spot and ended the show on a good note. Backstage after the show, one of the two girls who had been on stage came up to me and kissed me. Her mouth was all dry and weird-tasting, causing me to wake up.

I have Beach Boys dreams all the time. Just the other night, I had a dream that I was sitting in a hot tub when Mike and Bruce walked by. Bruce decided to start strangling me and Mike was laughing about it. Then Bruce let me go, laughed, and said he was just joking around.

(Sorry for posting in an older thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one over.)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »

I've had a couple of dreams, about talking to Brian, who I actually met a couple of times:

1. I'm in an obscure book store north of Montreal, when I hear a primitive version of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band coming over the store's speakers. I walk in a room where the sound's coming from, and it's Brian and Paul McCartney busking. I take a seat and listen to them, alone.
2. I'm in school, and I haven't completed a final project before graduation. I think of a project about the Beach Boys, and I meet Brian and ask him how George Gershwin influenced Beach Boys music.
3. I'm trying to get Brian's attention in a crowd, but he can't hear me.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »

Yes I've dreamt of the BBs before. In one dream I was at an airport which was also my bedroom (?!), and I saw Mike, Bruce and Al sitting down looking bored. So I grabbed a vinyl copy of Pet Sounds and asked them to autograph it for me, which they did. In a different dream Brian was giving a speech to an audience and his hair was grey and he was sporting a beard. Not much to these dreams I guess but I totally remember those dreams. I seem to remember my dreams rather well. I used to keep a journal.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »

After visiting Patsy Cline's grave in Winchester, VA I had a dream that I was front row at a 1973 Beach Boys show with Blondie and Ricky.  The band started to crank up "Sail On Sailor" and as the vocal part started Patsy came out and sang it in her "growly" voice.  It was sublime...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »

Nice to see this brought back.  I enjoy reading the dreams.   Que?

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »

. In my dream, I was myself, but I was also Bruce.

I have Beach Boys dreams all the time. Just the other night, I had a dream that I was sitting in a hot tub when Mike and Bruce walked by. Bruce decided to start strangling me and Mike was laughing about it. Then Bruce let me go, laughed, and said he was just joking around.

Yikes.

During the O.J. Simpson trial I had a dream where O.J. was shunned at an awards show where mid 70s Carl and Sally Struthers were among the attendees.

Also had a "Heroes & Villains" type dream where The Beach Boys were cowboys.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:52:54 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »

I was driving back home, heading east from somewhere in the American midwest-- perhaps Ohio.  My Honda Civic started to have problems after I got a tank of gas.

I managed to get my rough-running car to a service station, and they diagnosed my problem as being horsemeat in the gasoline. The chief mechanic-- a man under 45 with a mustache-- said that I should call Brian Wilson; he might be the best person to talk to, and just happened to be performing nearby that day.

The mechanic dialed up Brian and handed me his phone. After exchanging pleasantries, we got down to business. Brian seemed to have some knowledge of the current issues with horsemeat turning up in gasoline --which had been getting a substantial amount of coverage in the media, to the point of overload--, and we talked about it for close to 10 minutes.  The solution would have something to do with filtering or straining it. Not sure the gasoline would need to be replaced altogether, but it would end up the color of beef bullion-- the mechanic showed me some in a jar.

Brian said to leave open the possibility of trading the car in in its present state, for one of the cheapo reconditioned used cars on this service station's lot. I believe he said something like "I hear he has some pretty nice ones there." I didn't necessarily get the sense he was in cahoots with the dealer-- he's Brian Freaking Wilson, after all.

I fretted about my car being worth maybe $2000 more than the other cars on the lot-- I couldn't imagine the dealer handing me a 2002 Jetta or something similar, and a pile of money to boot. I don't recall what Brian said, but somehow he reassured me that all was not lost.

At the end of our conversation, I mentioned the recent sale of the SMiLE acetates. This did not interest him. We cordially said farewell, I hit the red button, and amiably handed the phone back to the mechanic.

Brian's a really nice, down-to-earth guy on the phone. When I said goodbye, I had the sense that I had made a friend...and to top it all off, my car runs GREAT now. I run the iron horse.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

I once had a dream where I was hired to be Brian's personal assistant in 1968. For some reason, Brian got mad at the group and ran into the woods to build a treehouse. I spent a day with him in the treehouse and kept playing the Friends album over and over again. And then John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd showed up at the treehouse as cops and took him back to the studio.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

I once had a dream where I was hired to be Brian's personal assistant in 1968. For some reason, Brian got mad at the group and ran into the woods to build a treehouse. I spent a day with him in the treehouse and kept playing the Friends album over and over again. And then John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd showed up at the treehouse as cops and took him back to the studio.

LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »

I've had quite a few dreams about the Beach Boys, I just never remember them.

I do recall one where I was a studio musician during the pet sounds sessions. Brian was producing and it was my turn to lay down some guitar on a track, when it came time to play I forgot how to play the guitar. Got yelled at and booted from the studio.

I have the weirdest dreams.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:01 AM »

Here are three dreams I've had about the Boys over the years (lifted from my other site):

[3 November 2007] I dreamt about Brian the night before last. He was in his Andy Paley phase, looking slim, well-shorn and Landy-free. It seems he was in some kind of musical (no, not Good Vibrations!). I was quite far back in the auditorium, but it was definitely Brian...  
He was actually going through some sort of dance routine...  
There were titles to these tunes and I even remember one. Well, it had two titles in good old Smile tradition:
"Exit" and "Foxtrot Of Politics".  Roll Eyes

[June 2011] There was this royal family on an official visit and Dennis was a son of the king and queen. Later I was speaking to Prince Dennis and he gave to understand his interest in making contact with three of the local ladies. I don't think it mattered which three.  Grin

[6 October 2013] I dreamt last night that Brian had bitten 8000 people.  LOL LOL LOL
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:52:07 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx