-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:25:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Most useless college course you ever took
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Most useless college course you ever took  (Read 4285 times)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

For those of you who are in college or who went to college, what is the most useless course you ever took? I was a human rights minor who didn't plan on going into anything human rights related post-college, so a lot of those courses were useless. By far the most useless class I ever took was White Racism, a class purely devoted to historical and contemporary racism against all types of non-white groups. Interesting? Yes. Useful? Absolutely not.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

What do you mean by "useful"?
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »

Useless in the sense I am using it means lacking any practical application to it. You can take your major into account or not. A course can just be plain useless for everyone, or it can be useless for someone of your major.

For example, my sister once took a course on Wood Carving as a communications major in college. That would be an example of a useless course for her.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »

You never know when some teaching from a random course could help you later in life - so it may not be that useless!

I took some seemingly useful courses only to find out that the professors were not really qualified to teach them. Thus, I got the credits, but learned virtually nothing, rendering them basically useless.

Edit for grammer - apparently my education wasn't that great Wink
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:26:26 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »

Ha, well, I could understand that with the Wood Carving.

I am a bit suspicious though of the "practical application" argument normally. I feel that secondary education should be more about contributing to your overall knowledge rather than readying you for a particular job or task.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

For those of you who are in college or who went to college, what is the most useless course you ever took? I was a human rights minor who didn't plan on going into anything human rights related post-college, so a lot of those courses were useless. By far the most useless class I ever took was White Racism, a class purely devoted to historical and contemporary racism against all types of non-white groups. Interesting? Yes. Useful? Absolutely not.

Sounds like a real sh#tty course.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »

I haven't found many useful applications for my degree in music composition.  Angry
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

I haven't found many useful applications for my degree in music composition.  Angry

I came close to finishing my degree in Music Performance: Piano but lacked a few hours before I split upstate NY in 1992.

Most useless course I took: Music Appreciation. Somehow I was able to get away with taking it and using it as extra hours in Music. It was fun to be knee deep in Theory in the morning and later come back to play the recorder or watch the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. A very easy A (along with my Survey Of American Pop Music class). Most useless to me: Beginner's Golf. I still suck at the game (due to lack of interest) unless I'm on the WII of course.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

there was a class at my college that I always wanted to take called "Begin Swimming" which analyzed the psychological factors that would present someone from swimming, and on the last day of class you have to go in the pool. It's a prerequisite for any of the other swimming classes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »

I skipped college after graduating high school. Dumbest mistake I ever made. Over the years I've been tempted to take some kind of music or creative writing class.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: