gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 08:16:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The closest I felt to the Beach Boys (kinda cool, kinda lame)  (Read 2055 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

My brother does audio work for different events around the country. Last Friday, he worked at the Beach Boys concert in Tampa. He said his job was to make sure things don't blow up. He was standing right next to Mike Love before the show. I am kind of jealous. He is not a big Beach Boy fan, but he likes them. He thought it was fun. Somehow, I felt close through my brother, even though I am in Dallas thousands of miles away. Closer then I felt on the 20th row near center at a Brian Wilson concert.

Drinking Buddies

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »

Hold on, dear brother!  That's not lame but touching. The BB are all about brothers. . . .
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56:02 AM »

If your brother worked there he should have tried to get something of yours signed... at least that's what I would have expected.  Tongue

I met my comic book author/artist hero a couple of months ago (at very short notice) and managed to secure personal autographs for my brother, my dad and a friend (who are huge fans as well). And I didn't even work at the place where he appeared.  Wink

But anyways, it's rather cool nonetheless. And the professor is right on the dime about the paradigm of 'brothers', of course.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:06 AM »

My brother does audio work for different events around the country. Last Friday, he worked at the Beach Boys concert in Tampa. He said his job was to make sure things don't blow up. He was standing right next to Mike Love before the show. I am kind of jealous. He is not a big Beach Boy fan, but he likes them. He thought it was fun. Somehow, I felt close through my brother, even though I am in Dallas thousands of miles away. Closer then I felt on the 20th row near center at a Brian Wilson concert.

Drinking Buddies

You're not twins, per chance?  LOL

That's a cool story, not a lame one, btw.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »

I thought it was a cool story to me, wasn't sure if anyone else would care. Thanks guys.

I told my brother to not get too close to Mike Love or he might get sued. Smiley

@Lowbacca: I would have tried to get something signed. But I didn't know about it until he was there. He texted me at the pre show set up.

@Alan Smith: We are not twins, but we are two months apart....step brothers. Kind of like Will Ferrell and John Reilly. Smiley

@RangeroverA1: I may only be 35, but the Beach Boys are 135, so in that sense my time is running out. But I think that listening to their music is the greatest reward!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »

Nice story; not lame whatsoever!
And, you'll probably ask your brother to tell about his meeting some of the Beach Boys at some party, family reunion, other gathering at some future point in time!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »

I asked him to keep an eye out for Mike's son Christian, that he has a great voice. He sent me a video of him singing Getche Back. I am trying to post it here but I don't see anyway to copy it. It is a Quickplayer video sent from his phone. Says IMG_3191

He also said that John Stamos wasn't there and he wondered why I asked. He had no idea he has made a lot of appearances with them since the 80s.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:04:43 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »

OK, but you left out the most important part of the story:
Did anything - or anyone - blow up?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:33:57 AM »

OK, but you left out the most important part of the story:
Did anything - or anyone - blow up?

Bruce spontaneously combusted. So he had to get back together and do it again.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

Besides seeing BW in concert in 2004 and the BB last year, and being in regular contact with a few people that know Brian, those closest I've ever been to the BB? I had a relative, sadly deceased now, who claimed she was working in the brothel where 'Kiss Me Baby' was allegedly composed. Never bought the story, as she would have been 14 at the time, but always found it humorous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

I was the closest to the BB at a Brian gig in 2010 for RIG, I sat right next to Jeff and Brian was RIGHT in front of me. He heard me yell "SURF'S UP" and "HEROESSSSS"
when he asked what we wanted to hear and he looked at me and smiled. It was an amazing moment!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

I tell this story a lot, but...

24 Oct 2004 in Houston. Brian just started his cigarette lighter joke.  'Everybody take out your cigarette lighters'. At that moment, my best friend Raymond and I screamed, in unison, 'but we just quit smoking'. Brian: 'Well goshdarn it then, good for you'. Started the introduction for the next song, then started laughing.

Good times.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »

Well, I guess the closest I felt to the Beach Boys must have been when we lived in California in the 60's.

It was also the closest I had been the to beach.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »

Had a few close encounters with BW..

'98, NYC, Imagination CD Signing - Got my CD signed and slipped BW a CD of my own stuff, to which he responded "Thank you!". I remember thinking - wow, that's definitely the voice that did "The Pied Piper"!

'00, NYC, BB Kings show - Was backstage between the 1st + 2nd sets talking to Darian, Jeff, and Scott. All of a sudden you see BW approaching down the practically empty hallway with his finger in his ear yelling "Testing 9,8,7,6,5,4..". I looked at my Dad and our friend and said, "Should I say hello?" They told me to go for it. So, he's literally walking right past us and I say "Hey Brian!". He stops what he's doing, looks at me, smiles and says "Hey!". Then he resumed walking + testing his hearing. Awesome moment, and sad at the same time. In retrospect, I should've just asked him if he was alright. He knocked Pet Sounds out of the park 15 minutes later.

'01, Long Island, Jones Beach show - Backstage after the show on line to get an autograph, I ran into Andy Paley and told him how much I loved the records he did with BW, including "Frankie Avalon". Andy flipped, couldn't believe a young kid dug the music, so he ended up taking us to the front of the line and said to Brian.. listen to what this kid just told me! So I repeated what I said in front of Brian + Andy.. Brian let out one of his "Whaat! I can't believe it!"'s and proceeded to sign my ticket.

Then, just last year, I was in the front row, probably about 20 feet away from the reunited Beach Boys at the Central Park gig for Good Morning America. Saw Al talking to Brian, going over some chord changes. Bruce asked us if we had some breakfast for him, haha. Mike came out on stage texting on his cell. I remember thinking, damn that dude is jacked! Not nearly as overweight as he appears in the videos. Awesome memory, although it was the only reunion performance I saw live and they only did 3 or 4 songs (several times), I'm glad I forced myself to wake up at 5 am to catch that event!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:51:00 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »

Great story Magic Transistor Radio!

Ah, I'm jealous of these of these stories - I've never even seen the guys in concert - let alone backstage hellos! I'm promising myself that the next time Brian Wilson is in the area, I'm going to a show.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »

Great story Magic Transistor Radio!

Ah, I'm jealous of these of these stories - I've never even seen the guys in concert - let alone backstage hellos! I'm promising myself that the next time Brian Wilson is in the area, I'm going to a show.

You didn't go to a C50 show?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx