gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:23:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #24: Keepin' the Summer Alive  (Read 31365 times)
Paulos
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

I must have listened to this album at least 10 times but it's so achingly tepid I can never remember what songs like Sunshine, Oh Darlin' and Santa Ana Winds sound like. I do like Goin' On though.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »

the point where everyone (including the diehard fans) realised the decline was irreversable
everything on this record blows massive c*ck
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »

everything on this record blows massive c*ck

Greil Marcus, roll over, there's a new, brilliant critical mind on the literati scene.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »

7 "Endless Harmony": Bruce cheese. Pure schlock. From the second you hear the electric piano and his vocals you in Johnston land. The lyrics are horrible. The ending is kinda beautiful though. And I think this song would work better on a non Beach Boys album.

Yes, and it does: on "Caroline Now".

Please delete my account
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »

It's no "Surfin' USA", but it injects some life into the album (and it's a much better Chuck Berry cover than "Rock and Roll Music"). The arrangement and backing vocals make the song work for me, and it sounds like they were having fun recording it. It's easily the highlight of the album to me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:05:39 PM by Tord » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

Endless Harmony (I like this song more than most)
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Santa Ana Winds
Oh' Darlin
When Girls Get Together
Goin' On
Livin' with a Heartache
Some of Your Love
Sunshine
School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

1. Goin' On - A classic.
2. Endless Harmony - The harmonies at the end are wonderful.
3. Santa Ana Winds - I actually enjoy the opening narration. It's cute of Al to explain the Santa Ana Winds in an unhelpful fashion to provide context. ("It's a weather condition called the Santa Ana Winds!")
4. Keepin' the Summer Alive - the live version is FAR better.
5. School Days (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell) - Honestly not that awful? Sounds like they at least had fine recording it.
6. Sunshine
7. Some of Your Love
8. Oh Darlin'
9. Livin' with a Heartbreak - bland bland BLAND
10. When Girls Get Together - one of my all-time least favorites. Almost unlistenable.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »

Oh, and also:

6 "Sunshine": They shoulda just kept "Little Girl" and went with that cover.

"Little Boy" is one of my favourite Crystals records. But if they had gone with that it would just be the same recording we have now but with different words. So less royalties for the Beach Boys, a second Crystals/Spector desecration (see Then I Kissed Her) and another latter-day Beach Boys song about little girls. Hm.

I haven't listened to this album enough to be able to legitimately rank it, but every time I Have heard it "Oh Darlin'" has been the standout track for me, surprised this isn't the case for anyone else here.

Please delete my account
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:21 AM »

A huge drop in quality from LA Light Album, but there are some fun moments, I guess.  This was one of just 4 albums that were totally ignored in the assembling of the C50 setlists of last year. (The other ones were Friends, Love You and SIP).  In fact, the last time (that I know of) that any song from this album was performed by any of the Beach Boys (together or apart) was 1996 when School Day made a one-off appearance in a show.  Does anyone know of any other times after that?

1. Keepin' the Summer Alive - Looks like this is the most polarizing song here, with a few of us ranking right at the top, with others ranking at the bottom.  I've always loved this track - a lot of rockin' fun!  The one part I don't like is the bass vocals on the intro - kind of embarrassing DUH DUH DUH, but everything else about it is great!  The live version is even better!  Far and away the best track on the album.  Should be on the upcoming boxed set! (Should've been on the 1993 one too!)

2. Sunshine - I've always thought that this was a fun little ditty, used to be on my car mixtapes all the time.

3. Livin' with a Heartache - A heartfelt vocal from Carl.  Kind of drags a little bit, and maybe too long, but when someone mentioned this was recorded in an open-air, outdoor setting, it changed the way I listened to it, and I liked it more from then on.
4. Some of Your Love - The verses sung by Mike are GREAT, classic Mike, while the background vocals simply GRATE on the ears, especially the last 45 seconds or so when they are repeating the chorus over and over.  Would have been better if they had just faded out earlier.
5. Endless Harmony - Carl on the 2nd half is way better than Bruce on the first half, but this is definitely a unique gem in the BB catalog - no other song quite like it.

6. Santa Ana Winds - I'm with everyone else who says that the spoken word part is unnecessary and cheesy and cringeworthy.  The background vocals are grating here as well.  Compare the background vocals on the whole KTSA album vs. the LA Light Album...why the disparity?  So weird.  LA's background vocals are soothing and smooth, whereas on KTSA, they are grating and harsh.  Weird.  But despite the weird background vocals, this Al song has a warm, comfy feeling to it at times.
7. Goin' On - I don't get why this was chosen as the lead single.  The title track totally should've been the 1st single instead.  The varying tempos and full-voiced yelling leads and background vocals here were way too intense for radio airplay in 1980.

8. When Girls Get Together - Probably the biggest bass sound you'll hear in almost any Beach Boys song up to this point.  But if that's the only highlight to the song, then that means trouble.  Lyrics that seem unnaturally dragged out and elongated.  One or two verses too many.
9. School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell) - The 45 version is a lot better, but that's not saying much.  The album version is headache-inducing if I listen to it on the wrong day.  The background vocals, much like on the album version of Rock And Roll Music, are too loud in comparison to the lead.  What is supposed to be a fun, lighthearted remake quickly becomes a cacophonous mess!
10. Oh' Darlin - This song already drags on and on, but to place it right after the title track in the album sequence was a huge mistake...it emphasizes the sense of dragging even more.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:53:32 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
MBE
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:52 AM »

A bad album, but still better than the 1984-96 era overall.
1 Goin On
2 Santa Ana Winds
3. Keeping The Summer Alive
4. Living With A Hearache (LP version too long but single edit is nice)
5.Some Of Your Love
6. Sunshine
7. Oh Darlin
8. Endless Harmony
9. When Girls Get Together (the only Sunflower era dud)
10.School Days (so fake)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »

Honestly, I enjoy this album more than both MIU and LA. LA might have a few better songs, but I think it also has some worse ones. A great album while you drive around in early spring or summer. Definitely play this twofer more than MIU/LA.

1) Living with a Heartache-- C'mon. Get drunk and sing along
2) Keeping the Summer Alive-- Duh duh duh!!!
3) Some of Your Love-- Puts some pep in your step. I'll allow the sax intro just this once.
4) Sunshine-- Listen to it in the sunshine and it makes sense
5) Going On-- Sounds like Queen w/o Brian May's guitar
6) Santa Ana Winds-- So Al is silly and the backing vox suck. Still a good song
7) Oh Darlin-- Meh. Sweet enough. Doesn't bother me.
Cool When Girls Get Together-- Way too friggin long. And weird (without much payoff, like BW usually gives us on "weird" songs). Dumb lyrics kill it for me.
9) Scool Days-- I like the a Capella intro, but naught else
10) Endless Harmony-- Carl almost saves it, but doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:22:18 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »

]

"Little Boy" is one of my favourite Crystals records. But if they had gone with that it would just be the same recording we have now but with different words.

That depends on how they would have recorded it...

From what Bruce said, Brian only recorded a bit of this song and then it was essentially looped. They should have started again (or thrown it away entirely).
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »

1. Goin' On - Brian picks up another masterpiece
2. Endless Harmony - Bruce really captures the feeling of an era ending
3. When Girls Get Together - This works on so many plans
4. Oh Darlin' - I think this song had been better if another bandmember had sung it
5. Some Of Your Love - Now we're talking! A rocking Brian/Mike tune!
6. School Day - Al the rebel Grin
7. Keepin' The Summer Alive
8. Livin' With A Heartache - Doesn't go anywhere
9. Santa Ana Winds
10. Sunshine

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »

Oh Darlin' - I think this song had been better if another bandmember had sung it

bruce?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »

Oh Darlin' - I think this song had been better if another bandmember had sung it

bruce?

Okey, anyone except him.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »

I'm confused. What's wrong with Carl's vocal on "Oh, Darlin'"? It' fine. The only one that could've come close to it around that time was Al. If anything, it's the harmonies on the song that are rough, and, from what I've read, Brian produced them.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »

I'm confused. What's wrong with Carl's vocal on "Oh, Darlin'"? It' fine. The only one that could've come close to it around that time was Al. If anything, it's the harmonies on the song that are rough, and, from what I've read, Brian produced them.

I dunno, I'm with you. I like Carl's lead vocal. I know there's a Brian version, but not sure exactly where that's "located", cough. Actually, I think that's a song any of the BBs could have tackled - Bruce would have made it sweet, Mike would have made it familiar sounding, Alan would have made it sound innocent.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

I'm confused. What's wrong with Carl's vocal on "Oh, Darlin'"? It's fine. The only one that could've come close to it around that time was Al. If anything, it's the harmonies on the song that are rough, and, from what I've read, Brian produced them.

I dunno, I'm with you. I like Carl's lead vocal. I know there's a Brian version, but not sure exactly where that's "located", cough. Actually, I think that's a song any of the BBs could have tackled - Bruce would have made it sweet, Mike would have made it familiar sounding, Alan would have made it sound innocent.

I heard Brian's lead on "Oh, Darlin'" a while back on YouTube, I think. It's OK, nothing special. I don't think it's nearly as good as Carl's. And, hey, I'm all for more Brian leads. Do you realize that Brian went the whole L.A. (Light Album) without a lead vocal, then the whole Keepin' The Summer Alive album without a lead vocal. I find that fascinating for some reason. Anyway, IMO, Carl was peaking vocally from 1979 - whenever; and I think he correctly got the brunt of the leads, including "Oh, Darlin'".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »

Carl has slow drunk voice on Oh Darlin'. He had that going from 15 Big Ones through this album. I like it sometimes, not at others.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »

I just listened to this album for the first time in a very long time, and it was somewhat better than I remembered it.  I've generally placed this album at the bottom of the band's oeuvre along with Summer in Paradise, and while it's certainly closer to the bottom than it is to the top, I think that, aside from "Endless Harmony," which I find unbearable, the songs range from decent to tolerable.  Many of them are comparable in quality, I think, to "She's Got Rhythm" from the M.I.U. Album in that they provide some hint of the band's abilities without being fully satisfying.  The only two songs that sound fully realized to me are "Goin' On" and "Some of Your Love," though I don't think either one is the greatest demonstration of the band's harmonizing capabilities.  Tracks ranked 1-8 are
 listenable, in my view, though 9 and 10 are not.

1.) Goin' On
2.) Some of Your Love

3.) Santa Ana Winds
4.) Keepin' the Summer Alive
5.) Oh Darlin'
6.) Living with a Heartache--Though pleasant enough for a listen, the repetitive and unimaginative melody gets stuck in my head for days whenever I listen to this.
7.) Sunshine
8.) When Girls Get Together

9.) School Days

10.) Endless Harmony--Probably the worst song to appear on a Beach Boys album up until 1980, though it would be surpassed by "Passing Friend" on the following album and by several songs on Summer in Paradise.  I've liked some of Bruce's songs well enough, but for the life of me, I can't even figure out what he's trying to do here.  The first half of the song is just him half-talking and half-singing as some instrument sounds that never quite register as musical play in the background.  Then Carl starts singing a seemingly unrelated song in the second half.  I'm all for sentiment, but on this song it never comes across as anything other than trite.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »

1. Goin' On
2. Livin' With A Heartache

3. Oh Darlin'
4. Santa Ana Winds
5. Keepin' the Summer Alive
6. When Girls Get Together
7. Endless Harmony
8. Sunshine
9. Some of Your Love
10. School Days (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)

It's probably one of their most uninteresting albums, with a limp production and few songs that ever make much of an impact.  It's more consistently uneventful than it is downright bad, but I'd rather an album has worthy highs and regrettable lows than little of value.  I think Goin' On is really the only standout track here.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:02:22 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »

Such a lame album. At least MIU and BB '85 had at least one genuinely great song each (My Diane, Where I Belong). This album doesn't even have that - just a lot of poorly produced mediocrity.

Anyway...

1. Livin' With A Heartache - to me, far and away the best song on the album. 'After all this time/I still wish you were mine/I miss you every day/Come back to me and stay' - this is the one really, really good section of the song, and therefore the one really, really good moment on the album.

2. Keepin' The Summer Alive - a frustrating listen, as there's obviously a pretty damn good song in there somewhere, but the appalling (over-)production just smothers the life out of it (great guitar solo though!)

3. Erm...

Nope. It's no good. I just really strongly dislike the rest of the record. Goin' On does nothing for me - it's horrible. Santa Ana Winds is a decent song - I love the lovely unreleased version - but the album production just ruins it - especially on the chorus, which should be rich in harmony but instead just sounds tinny and over-processed. When Girls Get Together is awful - hard to believe it originates from the awesome Sunflower period. Thank God it never made it onto that album!

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »

1. Goin' On
2. Santa Ana Winds
3. Keepin' the Summer Alive
4. Some Of Your Love
5. Livin' With A Heartache
6. Sunshine
7. Oh Darlin'
8. School Days
9. When Girls Get Together
10. Endless Harmony

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »

1. Goin' On
 2. Santa Ana Winds
 3. When Girls Get Together
 4. Oh Darling
 5. Some of Your Love
 6. Keepin' The Summer Alive
 7. Sunshine
 8. Livin' With A Heartache
 9. Shool Days
10.Endless Harmony
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »

01. Keeping the Summer Alive – possibly the best retro beach-style song they achieved. Crank it up - it rocks. "You'll be coming home with sand in your shoes…"   If they'd had to bow out their careers on a diet of rehashing the surf n' fun image, this would have been the blueprint.

I agree with the merits of "Keepin' the Summer Alive."  Viewing the live rendition (from Fridays, was it?) gave me an all new outlook on this song.  It does rock!  Certainly a lot more than the LP rendition, anyway.  Something vital was lost during the recording process.

Oh, and I quite like "Oh, Darlin."  Once again, watching a video of the guys performing it live is what really put it over the top for me.  Not inspired choices, what with the title cut and the big ballad, I know, but what can I say?  The rest of the album just doesn't do much for me.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx