gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:57:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #24: Keepin' the Summer Alive  (Read 31374 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »

I'm not thinking too hard about ranking these, because most of them are irrelevant to me.

Yuck.
Sad that Dennis is last heard on this stinker of an album.
Here we go:

10. Keepin' the Summer Alive
9. School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
8. Sunshine
7. Goin' On
6. Some of Your Love - Best thing about this, is the Be True To Your School background vocals.
5. Santa Ana Winds
4. Endless Harmony - Bruce has a great voice, but this is weird.
3. Livin' with a Heartache - I like this, but is doesn't sound much like the BB's.
2. Oh Darlin - Carl sings this beautifully.
1. When Girls Get Together - I think this track is so unusual and lovely. Reminds me of Smile and Pet Sounds in ways. I wish those lyrics were just gone. I'd rather it just be instrumental.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »

I dunno, it's pretty mediocre by BB standards but not terrible. I like it much better than LA....

Goin’ On
Oh Darlin’
When Girls Get Together
Some Of Your Love
Livin’ With A Heartache

Santa Ana Winds – the opening, spoken line is cringeworthy. After that, much better!
Endless Harmony

Sunshine

Keepin’ The Summer Alive
School Days

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »

I don't care for this record very much and seldom play it.

1. "Goin' On"
2. "When Girls Get Together"
3. "Oh Darlin'"
4.   "Keepin' the Summer Alive"
5.  "Some of Your Love"
6.   "Endless Harmony"
7.  "Sunshine"
8.  "Santa Ana Winds"
9.  "Livin' with a Heartache"
10. "School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:17 AM »

The start of the era of unlistenable BBs albums. I have never listened to this album all the way through, its that bad.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »

Ooh! A challenge! Do remember all this is relative, so I don't want anyone coming back at me with "Santa Ana Winds sounds like a John Denver reject" or "Carl's songs sound like beer commercials". I know all that.

Goin' On
Livin' With a Heartache
Santa Ana Winds
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Some of Your Love
School Day
Endless Harmony
Sunshine
Oh Darlin'
When Girls Get Together
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »

First of all, what's up with that horrible drum sound? Reminds me a bit of Another One Bites The Dust by Queen, where the snare was completely taped.

Anyway, the album.

1. Goin' On
2. Livin' With A Heartache (one of Carl's best leads, in my opinion. His voice recovered really well)
3. Some Of Your Love
4. Keepin' The Summer Alive (love Mike's bass vocals)
5. When Girls Get Together
6. Sunshine
7. Endless Harmony
8. Oh Darlin'
9. School Days
10. Santa Ana Winds

Quite a disaster this album. Horrible cover as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:26:00 AM by SonicVolcano » Logged
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:36:34 AM »

1.  School Days
2.  Goin' On
3.  Endless Harmony
4.  Sunshine
5.  Some of Your Love
6.  When Girls Get Together
7.  Keepin' the Summer Alive
8.  Santa Ana Winds
9.  Oh Darlin'
10.Livin' With a Heartache
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »

1. When Girls Get Together - I think this track is so unusual and lovely. Reminds me of Smile and Pet Sounds in ways. I wish those lyrics were just gone. I'd rather it just be instrumental.

an earlier version/mix of this song is much much better than what showed up on this lp.
esp. on a clear, crisp, clean version.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:16:40 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »

As good as MIU, altho that isn't saying much. Weird to think that this record is such a disappointment, and also the only thing approaching decency they would release for 32 years hence (32 of the 50 years celebrated last year). Sad.

Truly top-flight, classic:

1. Goin' On (One of my personal BB faves)

Very good to good:

2. When Girls Get Together
3. Santa Ana Winds
4. Some Of Your Love
5. Oh Darlin'

Bland to terrible:

6. Keepin' The Summer Alive
7. Livin' With A Heartache
8. School Day

Even worse:

9. Sunshine
10. Endless Harmony.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »

1.  School Days

Explain yourself!

an earlier version/mix of this song is much much better than what showed up on this lp.

Right - without the hideously out-of-sync kick drum overdub.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

MIU - Part 2. No really great, timeless songs but no terrible ones either. Again, Carl carries the group with his vocals; he was on a roll. Only 10 songs; inexcusable. Somebody thought this was a worthy project because they did a documentary about it. I always though they coulda got more out of Brian; he appeared to be lucid around that time. It's not a bad album yet I rarely listen to it...

1. Livin' With A Heartache - Carl attempted - and succeeded - in giving the group a modern, cool sound.
2. Goin' On - good effort but not quite a classic

3. Santa Ana Winds - an almost great song but the production lets it down
4. Sunshine - this one's like "Matchpoint"; I never understood the hate
5. Some Of Your Love - they tried, they really did

6. When Girls Get Together - like it but it's kind of out of place
7. Oh Darlin' - I wanted more Brian leads too but Carl's is better on this one

8. Keepin' The Summer Alive - sounds forced; funny how Carl isn't criticized for the lyrics
9. School Days - what happened to Brian's touch with oldies; was this Bruce's work?
10. Endless harmony - I like a lot of this; maybe I'm being too harsch relegating it to the basement
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

Haven't heard it, but sure would love to!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »

Bottom of the Barrel:
10. When Girls… – torpid
09. Sunshine – just goes on a bit too long
08. Endless Harmony – love the ending but what comes before ain't nice

Very Good:
07. Oh Darlin' – some great vocal work in there
06. Livin' With a Heartache – okay, getting more interesting, love the "after all this time…" pace
05. School Days… – that's more like it! Sounds like as 15BOs left-over
04. Goin' On

Great:
03. Santa Ana Winds – as stated in another thread, this is far superior to the unreleased version to my ears, and represents a style the Beach Boys could have adopted for ever, for me.
02. Some of Your Love – this was my favourite of the new tracks debuted at Knebworth in 19080, one of the best live tracks played that night for me.
01. Keeping the Summer Alive – possibly the best retro beach-style song they achieved. Crank it up - it rocks. "You'll be coming home with sand in your shoes…"   If they'd had to bow out their careers on a diet of rehashing the surf n' fun image, this would have been the blueprint.

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »

01.  Santa Ana Winds (despite spoken intro; best song here by some distance, but the production is a little sweet)
02.  KTSA
03.  Goin' On (production is a little too sweet)
04.  When Girls... (this has grown on me, but there's not much competition)
05.  Livin' With a Heartache
06.  Some of Your Love
07.  Oh Darlin'
08.  Endless Harmony
09.  School Days (unnecessary)
10.  Sunshine

Not an album I play much, but the first three tracks are on various compilations I've made and I do like Santa Ana Winds.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »

I don't think this is as bad as most people say it is. It's still a whole lot better than BB85 and Summer in Paradise, IMO. None of the songs are great, but the majority is decent to good.

1. Some of Your Love - Very catchy chorus, great harmonies, easily one of their best songs from the 1980s (not that there's a whole lot of competition...).
2. Santa Ana Winds - Nice and mellow. Good composition, nice arrangement, some of the vocals (especially Mike's) could've been better though.
3. Goin' On - Not bad at all. The first four seconds are easily the best moment of the entire record.
4. Livin' with a Heartache - I dig the mellow mood of this song. Not a significant composition, but it's got some good hooks. It could've been about a minute shorter, though.
5. Endless Harmony - Cheesy first section with embarrassing lyrics, but from "And we sang God bless America..." on, it's REALLY good.
6. Keepin' the Summer Alive - Decent song. Catchy, sunny and energetic.
7. School Day - Yet another overproduced rock 'n' roll cover... I never missed those backing vocals on Chuck Berry's version, so here they just sound superfluous.
8. When Girls Get Together - Weird, not very good and just out of place.
9. Oh Darlin' - Boring.
10. Sunshine - This is just bad.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

Santa Ana Winds – the opening, spoken line is cringeworthy.

But then again, apart from 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?' and 'Somewhere Down the Crazy River' I can't think of any song right now with a spoken part that does work.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:49:48 AM by shelter » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »

Among about a ton of great songs with spoken sections, I'd like to nominate one for top of the heap:
The Velvet Underground's I Found A Reason.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »

The 5th post Holland album shows that the band still can't make a great album all the way through, but like the four proceeding records before it there is still the odd diamond between the dross.

1/ Goin' On - Mike and Brian's last decent song together.
2/ Santa Anna Winds - Al gets back to his folksy roots for a latter day highlight.
3/ Keepin' the Summer Alive - Catchy rocker with Joe Walsh solo, plus Mike's bass vocal RULES.

4/ Endless Harmony - The first half is so-so but the second half is magical.
5/ Livin' with a Heartache - Good song but badly needed editing down to the 3:30 min mark.
6/ Some of Your Love - Catchy but a little too cheesy.
7/ Sunshine - More cheese.

8/ Oh Darlin' - Great vocals by Carl but the song doesn't really do much for me otherwise.
9/ Schooldays - Another cack handed Chuck Berry cover (still better than Rock'n'Roll Music through!)

10/ When Girls Get Together - I'm convinced that post -73 the band were contractually stipulated to include at least one absolute stinker on each new album.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:16:54 AM by Death To Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »

Now this is a tough one, and not for the right reasons...

1. Santa Ana Winds - This is actually my preferred version of the song (even with Al's spoken word intro)
2. Endless Harmony - terrible lyrics aside, this is my favorite Bruce song after Disney Girls.  Carl's part at the end is one of my favorite later period BB moments.
3. Keepin' The Summer Alive - Corny, but fun.  Definitely check out the live version from Friday's if you haven't seen it.
4. Goin' On
5. Livin' With A Heartache - probably doesn't belong on a Beach Boys album, but I still like it a lot.  Another great vocal by Carl, and I love the "after all this time..." part.
6. Oh Darlin' - Okay song, but the backing vocals annoy me.
7. Sunshine - Again, okay song, but just doesn't really go anywhere.  I don't love it, but I never skip over it.
8. Some Of Your Love
9. When Girls Get Together - totally out of place on the album, and probably should have been left in the can.  Just goes on and on and on.
10. School Day - One of my least favorite covers the band ever did.  Much better live (especially from the Knebworth show), but here it's just a bore.

I think I like this album more than I probably should.  If they had dropped a couple of the crappier tunes and maybe resequenced the album, I think it would be much, much better.  Even still, I enjoy a good chunk of it.  Not their best, not their worst (but close).
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »

1/ Goin' On -  nice song despite the producer (BJ) doing his best to strangle the life out of it
2/ Keepin' the Summer Alive - (I like this a lot more than other people it seems, would have benefited greatly from being a minute or so shorter)
3/ Santa Ana Winds - Not a bad effort, Did Al actually write this and not recycle it from something?
4/ Livin' with a Heartache - Decent but stupidly long
5/ Oh Darlin'  - some really nice parts (intro and verse) but just doesn't work
6/ Some of Your Love - BBs by numbers
7/ Endless Harmony - Great vocals, song -meh
8/ When Girls Get Together - up there with "little tomboy" lyrically
9/ Schooldays - Pointless
10/ Sunshine- Rubbish
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:56:55 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

I remember thinking this was dreck when I first heard it. Of course, I thought LA Light was okay when I first heard it, and we all know my opinion sure has changed. Has my opinion changed on this? Let's find out.

10 Endless Harmony- I hate the effects on Bruce's voice. Boring as f***. I much prefer the version done around the time of Surf's Up.
9. School Days- Horrible. The backup vocals suck, and sound like they are unfinished. Completely half-assed. Too much reverb on Al's vocal, guitar is mixed too low...no thanks.  'Uh oh Oh Oh uh oh Oh OH'...please shut the f*** up backing vocals, PLEASE.
8. Oh Darlin- The version with Brian on it is MUCH better. Same weak track, but Carl's vocal is too smooth to give the track any life. The mix sounds like sh*t, and sounds like someone let a slightly unintelligent 6 year old in the studio and told him to randomly play with the reverb settings.

Guess what? Those are the only three songs I hate on this album. I was shocked.

7. When Girls Get Together- I actually like the song, but not this mix. Again,. the vocals sound processed and mechanical, which is hilarious because this is an analog recording.
6. Santa Ana Winds- I do like this a lot, but that horrible effect on the vocals again nearly kills it.The rest of the production is nice, though.
5. Livin' with a Heartache- Only reason why this isn't #4 is because it goes on a bit too long, but I really dig this.
4. Some of Your Love- A really nifty production is killed by a squashed-sounding mix. That said, great fun if not the most artistic thing in the world.
3. Goin' On-  Unlike Santa Ana Winds and Oh Darlin, this is much better than the unreleased early version. I wish Brian's vocals were mixed up a bit, and I hate the sax solo so very much, but the rest of it is good enough to rate this high.
2.  Sunshine- Cause f*** you, that's why. Yes, I love this song. The only time where the vocal effects fit.  A better mix would improve this song's standing (louder guitar, bass,and kick drum, Brian mixed up higher). I wish I had access to the masters because I'd love to remix this.
1. Keepin' the Summer Alive-  Love this, especially the reggae-influenced drums.  An absolute gem. A retro song that still manages to sound current (for the time period).

First time I've listened to this album all the way through in years, and i've listened to it 3 times in a row before doing this. I actually like this album much more than LA Light. Again, the terrible mix and occasionally poor production choices are what hurt this album to me. I was prepared to hate this...quite surprised I don't.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »

1. Santa Ana Winds
2. Livin' With A Heartache
3. Keepin' The Summer Alive
4. School Day
5. When Girls Get Together
6. Goin' On
7. Oh Darlin'
8. Endless Harmony
9. Sunshine
10. Some Of Your Love
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

This album is dire and certainly worse than their previous three...

1, Santa Ana Winds (Shame about Mike's nasal vocal and the sloppy group vocals)
2, Goin' On (Shame about Mike's vocals again)

3, KTSA ( Despite the weak production)
4, Endless Harmony
5, School Days
6, When Girls Get Together (Though it is completely out of place and shouldn't have been included)
7, Livin With a Heartache

8, Oh, Darlin
9, Some of Your Love
10, Sunshine
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »

Jeez. This album is not very good at all. But it is listenable for the most part, and there are a few good songs. And most of the songs are catchy, even the bad ones.

1 "Goin' On": Nearly a classic. I don't particularly understand why Mike's voice is mixed so high in the mix. Too nasal. But anyways, probably the best lyrics Mike has written since 1979, except maybe for "Isn't It Time"
2 "Livin' With A Heartache": I know it's kinda lame, and it's not very Beach Boys, but its classic adult contemporary guilty pleasure stuff.
3 "Some Of Your Love": Not as good as "Child Of Winter". I don't mind the saxophone in rock 'n roll, but the sax in this song is so cheesy.
4 "Oh Darlin'": Just a boring, plain song. Sounds really uninspired. This is probably Brian's most uninspired work on a Beach Boys album. Yet this is still the fourth best song.
5 "Santa Ana Winds": Inoffensive. Except for the spoken intro. I woulda preferred this on L.A. rather than "Lady Lynda" or "Sumahama"
6 "Sunshine": They shoulda just kept "Little Girl" and went with that cover. The guys sound convincing and excited, but it's just a plain bad song. And Brian's falsetto just doesn't sound good on here.
7 "Endless Harmony": Bruce cheese. Pure schlock. From the second you hear the electric piano and his vocals you in Johnston land. The lyrics are horrible. The ending is kinda beautiful though. And I think this song would work better on a non Beach Boys album.
8 "When Girls Get Together": It's from the Sunflower era which sounds exciting, but this song is booooring. Mike sounds like sh*t, and supposedly Brian is there singing with him. I don't hear it.
9 "School Days": I like nearly all the covers on 15 Big Ones. But this one has nothing. And honestly, not one of my fave Chuck Berry cuts.
10 "Keepin' The Summer Alive": Sorry, but it's just a lame wanna be summer anthem. Sorry Carl.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx