gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:03:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting Mike and/or Bruce at their show  (Read 13845 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »

It's a surprisingly unpopular opinion on here but going to see The Mike & Bruce experience following the C50 tour is almost pointless IMO..
Once you hear Al on Rhonda, Brian on IJWMFTT, Mike on Surfin U.S.A and see David shredding on guitar, all on stage together, there's just not point going back.
The pinnacle has been reached.
Oh, what you miss, Shady.  It's not C50 which was an almost spiritual experience, but, it is a wonderful and really fun presentation of the material.  Each band had wonderful musicians; Al's has Figueroa, Hinsche, Cannata, Carter.  Brian's band, you saw at C50, and Mike and Bruce have great guys as well.  

If you love the music, and go with an open mind, you might get a really pleasant surprise.  Wink

I saw Mike and Bruce twice in Dublin and you're right it was really fun but I honestly have no desire to see them again. Also minus cowsill I'm not a huge fan of the M&B band.

If the C50 show was the end I can't think of a better way to end it. That night was a dream come true.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

If that's Lancaster PA, then it'll be in the American Music Theater, which means an extended setlist. I saw them there in 2005, and the show was excellent (and that was with Kowalski drumming). If you're such a snob about not laying out $75 or so for a couple hours of great music played wonderfully just because it's not Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn, well... the Bloo is that way.  Wall

First, I'd like to address your comment....which I didn't find all that helpful or kind. Yes, that is where the show is. Who said I was a snob? Maybe I'm a little hard up for cash at the moment and think a little bit before spending $75.

I've been to two Beach Boys concerts. Reunion Tour Epic Experience and, Mike & Bruce at Pier Six Pavilion, Baltimore, MD in 2010 and that show was extremely impressive. They played for nearly 3 hours on the hottest day of the year outside (110 degrees!) I am not knocking their show. However, as someone else mentioned, seeing and hearing Brian Wilson (the creator of so many of these songs might I remind you) hearing Al Jardine's surprisingly young voice, and being blown away by Dave's hot guitar licks all on top of, Mike's tactfully rock and roll voice and Bruce's stage charisma AND seeing them all ENJOYING EACH OTHER.....I wonder just how much I'll enjoy a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show, and with half the beach boys and, with half the quality.

It was announced today, that Mike & Bruce will return to Pier Six Pavilion on July 20th....however I'm going to see fun. that night!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »

I wonder just how much I'll enjoy a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show, and with half the beach boys and, with half the quality.

If it's a theatre show in spring, though, it probably won't be "a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show".  It'll almost certainly be a setlist that's much the same as the reunion tour setlists. I won't argue with your "half the Beach Boys and half the quality", but I will point out that half the quality of the reunion tour is still pretty damn good, and you'd be getting half as good a show for a fifth of the price you paid, so from a pure cost/benefit point of view you'd actually be better off with this than the reunion tour.

Seriously, the long theatre show I saw Mike, Bruce and David do in 2008 was actually better than the shorter, outdoor, reunion tour shows I saw last year, though not as good as the longer Wembley show. The only thing that made the 2004 Mike & Bruce show not as good was that Mike Kowalski was drumming. It's your choice, of course, but I honestly think you'd be missing out by not going.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »

I wonder just how much I'll enjoy a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show, and with half the beach boys and, with half the quality.

If it's a theatre show in spring, though, it probably won't be "a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show".  It'll almost certainly be a setlist that's much the same as the reunion tour setlists. I won't argue with your "half the Beach Boys and half the quality", but I will point out that half the quality of the reunion tour is still pretty damn good, and you'd be getting half as good a show for a fifth of the price you paid, so from a pure cost/benefit point of view you'd actually be better off with this than the reunion tour.

Seriously, the long theatre show I saw Mike, Bruce and David do in 2008 was actually better than the shorter, outdoor, reunion tour shows I saw last year, though not as good as the longer Wembley show. The only thing that made the 2004 Mike & Bruce show not as good was that Mike Kowalski was drumming. It's your choice, of course, but I honestly think you'd be missing out by not going.

Thank you for so much productive input Andrew, I'm mulling the idea around...I just don't know right now. Man...this sounds like I'm making a life or death decision, doesn't it?!?  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

If that's Lancaster PA, then it'll be in the American Music Theater, which means an extended setlist. I saw them there in 2005, and the show was excellent (and that was with Kowalski drumming). If you're such a snob about not laying out $75 or so for a couple hours of great music played wonderfully just because it's not Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn, well... the Bloo is that way.  Wall

First, I'd like to address your comment....which I didn't find all that helpful or kind. Yes, that is where the show is. Who said I was a snob? Maybe I'm a little hard up for cash at the moment and think a little bit before spending $75.

I've been to two Beach Boys concerts. Reunion Tour Epic Experience and, Mike & Bruce at Pier Six Pavilion, Baltimore, MD in 2010 and that show was extremely impressive. They played for nearly 3 hours on the hottest day of the year outside (110 degrees!) I am not knocking their show. However, as someone else mentioned, seeing and hearing Brian Wilson (the creator of so many of these songs might I remind you) hearing Al Jardine's surprisingly young voice, and being blown away by Dave's hot guitar licks all on top of, Mike's tactfully rock and roll voice and Bruce's stage charisma AND seeing them all ENJOYING EACH OTHER.....I wonder just how much I'll enjoy a show of primarily greatest hits at about half the length of the reunion show, and with half the beach boys and, with half the quality.

It was announced today, that Mike & Bruce will return to Pier Six Pavilion on July 20th....however I'm going to see fun. that night!

My point is, you're prepared to drive and hang about in the hope of getting something signed without actually supporting the artists (which, as you know, includes Brian & Alan). The snob comment ? Yup, looks like that to me: "It's only Mike & Bruce, can't be truly great without Brian". Oddly, folk conveniently forget that the band were truly great for many years in the 60s and 70s without Brian onstage. Yes, the C50 was something very, very magical and special, but it's not going to happen again and as has been stated, in maybe four five years there will be NO touring originals. Grab what you can, while you can. here's the AMT setlist from 2005: I'd imagine this year's won't be dissimilar.

1. California Girls
2. Do It Again
3. Surfin' Safari
4. Catch A Wave
5. Hawaii
6. Dance, Dance, Dance
7. Do You Wanna Dance?
8. Little Honda
9. Surfer Girl
10. Don't Worry Baby
11. You're So Good To Me
12. Darlin'
13. The Warmth Of The Sun
14. Wendy
15. Getcha Back
16. Then I Kissed Her
17. Duke of Earl
18. Come Go With Me
19. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
20. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
21. In My Room
22. 'Til I Die
23. All This Is That
24. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
25. California Dreamin'
26. Disney Girls
27. God Only Knows
28. Sail On Sailor
29. I Can Hear Music
30. Still Cruisin'
31. Little Deuce Coupe
32. 409
33. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena
34. Shut Down
35. I Get Around
36. Good Vibrations
37. Sloop John B.
38. Wouldn't It Be Nice
39. Help Me, Rhonda
40. Barbara Ann
41. Surfin USA

Encore:
42. Kokomo
43. Fun, Fun, Fun

Know something ? That's about 35% longer than the GH sets Brian was doing in 2005 (yes, Brian does GH sets too) - here's one from England, 7/15, common songs highlighted (I saw this one too and it was pretty damn good.):

01. Do It Again
02. Do You Wanna Dance
03. Then I Kissed Her
04. In My Room
05. Surfer Girl
06. I Get Around
07. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
08. Dance, Dance, Dance

09. Please Let Me Wonder
10. Little St. Nick
11. Breakaway
12. You're So Good To Me
13. California Girls
14. Sloop John B
15. Wouldn't It Be Nice

16. Pet Sounds
17. God Only Knows
18. Sail On Sailor

19. Marcella
20. Our Prayer
21. Heroes & Villains
22. Good Vibrations
(Smile version)

Encore 1:
23. Johnny B. Goode
24. Help Me, Rhonda
25. Barbara Ann
26. Surfin’ USA
27. Fun Fun Fun

Encore 2:
28. Love And Mercy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »

I've actually heard people say the IN CONCERT double album is awful just because Brian's not on it..... Not kidding.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »

That is crazy, but I wish the album did have a BW live track from his random early 1970s concert appearances.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »

Isn't he allowed to have an opinion? He's seen both M&B, and the current reunion tour. To call him a snob is unfair. I do agree that driving to the venue just to meet Mike and Bruce, but not actually go attend the show is a little strange, but he's entitled to whatever he wants to do. He never said it can't be great without Brian, rather....he likes it better when Brian, Al, and Dave are there. He saw the five remaining Beach Boys do their thing this summer, and he's unsure if he wants to go see Mike and Bruce's band without three of the principle members. And those tickets aren't cheap.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »

My M&B tickets in 2011 were $20 bucks, looks like they are charging a little more since C50. Hell, my C50 ticket with the ticketmaster fees was the same price as this M&B show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »

Only 4 more days until the great Mike/Bruce/Shamu summit!

Anyone going?

http://events.1059sunnyfm.cbslocal.com/orlando_fl/events/beach-boys-seaworld-orlandos-bands-brew-bbq-fes-/E0-001-054288053-4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »

"Bands Brew & BBQ Festival features:
o Sizzling BBQ from SeaWorld’s own culinary team and from local restaurants including: Tony Roma’s, Cecil’s Texas Style Bar B Q and Sonny’s Bar-B-Q
o Harley Davidson of Orlando has bikes on display throughout the event
o Craft Brew Sampler includes your choice of 10 samples with over 25 domestic and imported craft beers to choose from.
o VIP Packages includes reserved seating for the concert and a meal.
o VIP Package and Craft Brew Sampler are available by visiting SeaWorldOrlando.com"

This is sounding better and better! All I got at my C50 show was a stale pretzel for $10 extra bucks!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »

My point is, you're prepared to drive and hang about in the hope of getting something signed without actually supporting the artists (which, as you know, includes Brian & Alan). The snob comment ? Yup, looks like that to me: "It's only Mike & Bruce, can't be truly great without Brian". Oddly, folk conveniently forget that the band were truly great for many years in the 60s and 70s without Brian onstage. Yes, the C50 was something very, very magical and special, but it's not going to happen again and as has been stated, in maybe four five years there will be NO touring originals. Grab what you can, while you can. here's the AMT setlist from 2005: I'd imagine this year's won't be dissimilar.

I don't believe that a Beach Boys concert must include Brian Wilson to be truly great. In all honesty, he didn't do that much on the reunion tour at the concerts. I never heard his piano, and he never stuck out in the harmonies to me. All of his leads were GREAT though! I hate to chop things up this way but, in a live concert setting (judging by experience and clips I've seen) I think Mike, Carl and (on the right night in his time) Brian were vital to making it "truly great" (whatever that means.) So for me, last year was the closest I could ever come to that. And might I add a lot of respect for Bruce Johnston when he actually played and sang prominently in the late 60's...I'd love to know how much he gets paid to clap his hands and sing "Disney Girls" now...

Both of those setlists sound like really good and enjoyable concerts, again, I'm not putting down the Mike & Bruce show...I've just seen it already. From their 2005 setlist there are only 7 songs I've never heard live between the two BB concerts.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »

I don't believe that a Beach Boys concert must include Brian Wilson to be truly great. In all honesty, he didn't do that much on the reunion tour at the concerts. I never heard his piano, and he never stuck out in the harmonies to me. All of his leads were GREAT though!

Just Brian's presence with the band he founded was good enough for me. If all he did was lean over and rip a one-cheek-sneak fart into the microphone, I would have given him a standing O. Many of his leads were bonuses as far as I'm concerned. His piano playing was secondary. He wrote the songs - he invented those harmony parts that he and others were singing. He should have been there and by God he was - in spite of his physical and mental issues. For a 70 year old man, I thought he did fantastic!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »

He got more involved from the Chicago show on. He started becoming more prominent in the harmony stack and occasionally even hit some falsetto parts

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »

So OK already! The time has come. For those who were not around in the late 60's when most people laughed at the the idea of the Beach Boys going forward, you have seen history in the making. I'm sorry you missed it, whether by choice or just being born too late. It was a great ride.  Enjoy what you can from what's left. But please, don't continue to try and make up for it by seeing X number of shows, incarnations, of the past. It will never be the same. That ship has sailed, Summer's Gone .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:49:23 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »

Just say "NO!" to "Duke Of Earl" in any Beach Boys related concert.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »

^ One Million Percent AGREED.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

As illustrated by the 2005 setlist, it won't be half the length, there will be deep catalog songs that even Brian hasn't played for close on a decade, nor will it be half the quality. You could better apply that to the standard BW GH setlist with considerably more accuracy and since Cowsill took over the drum stool, the gigs got much, much better. Mike's show's used to be ho-hum, then when Brian started touring solo he upped his game. Result: win-win for the fans. This is twilight's last gleaming. Bask in it while you can.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »

This is twilight's last gleaming. Bask in it while you can.

That's it in a nutshell.

Nicko1234
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 01:00:13 AM »

It's a surprisingly unpopular opinion on here but going to see The Mike & Bruce experience following the C50 tour is almost pointless IMO..

Once you hear Al on Rhonda, Brian on IJWMFTT, Mike on Surfin U.S.A and see David shredding on guitar, all on stage together, there's just not point going back.

The pinnacle has been reached.

I presume you think seeing Brian, Al and David is pointless as well?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »

Me personally, I would rather see Brian than the M&B band. Not because of anything like 'OMG what douchebags', but more because I'm a fan of Brian more than I am of the others (although I personally feel that they are all better together). More to the point...I'm a big fan of Brian as he is now , not just for what he's done in the past. As mentioned in another thread, I actually really dig his voice and can enjoy it as it without having to make excuses. That wasn't always the case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:19:40 AM by The Amazing World of Billy Castillo » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 02:02:21 AM »

Just say "NO!" to "Duke Of Earl" in any Beach Boys related concert.

It was dropped from Mike's band's setlist around the same time Chris Farmer left, in (IIRC) 2006.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 02:41:31 AM »

Me personally, I would rather see Brian than the M&B band. Not because of anything like 'OMG what douchebags', but more because I'm a fan of Brian more than I am of the others (although I personally feel that they are all better together). More to the point...I'm a big fan of Brian as he is now , not just for what he's done in the past. As mentioned in another thread, I actually really dig his voice and can enjoy it as it without having to make excuses. That wasn't always the case.
Same for me. (C50 gig was something extraordinarily special, though.)

And I guess another BBs LP wouldn't excite me as much as another BW solo LP right now. TWGMTR was an okay/good last LP for the BBs - now bring on more crazy Brian stuff, please.  Smiley I've loved the Gershwin record, the Disney songs and above all TLOS (way more than TWGMTR) so right now I'm really excited for another BW solo LP. And even if it turns out to be another BBs record.. there's no harm in that. "Summer's Gone" would have been a great last album track, though.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »

"Bands Brew & BBQ Festival features:
o Sizzling BBQ from SeaWorld’s own culinary team and from local restaurants including: Tony Roma’s, Cecil’s Texas Style Bar B Q and Sonny’s Bar-B-Q
o Harley Davidson of Orlando has bikes on display throughout the event
o Craft Brew Sampler includes your choice of 10 samples with over 25 domestic and imported craft beers to choose from.
o VIP Packages includes reserved seating for the concert and a meal.
o VIP Package and Craft Brew Sampler are available by visiting SeaWorldOrlando.com"

This is sounding better and better! All I got at my C50 show was a stale pretzel for $10 extra bucks!

We should fly oldsurferdude down to the show as "sorry" for his ban.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21:22 AM »

for goodness sake, will you stop talking about osd for a sec? he doesn't warrant even a mere mention of him.  Roll Eyes

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx