gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:14:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on future Beach Boys plans, no more reunions!  (Read 38828 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

About TLOS, I think considering the situation it wasn't sudden at all.

Brian makes all the early BB albums, makes tons of money for the label, has power, has freedom, makes PS and SMiLE.
Brian makes 15 big ones, same situation, then makes Love You.
Brian does SMiLE live, then makes TLOS.
Brian makes a 50th celebration BB album, Brian has power/freedom, Brian makes...

Well, we'll see!

I hope you're right!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »

About TLOS, I think considering the situation it wasn't sudden at all.

Brian makes all the early BB albums, makes tons of money for the label, has power, has freedom, makes PS and SMiLE.
Brian makes 15 big ones, same situation, then makes Love You.
Brian does SMiLE live, then makes TLOS.
Brian makes a 50th celebration BB album, Brian has power/freedom, Brian makes...

PLEASURE ISLAND!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »

I'm fully aware this makes me a bad person, but I want Pet Sounds 2.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

I'm fully aware this makes me a bad person, but I want Pet Sounds 2.
Brian and Tony Asher should give it one last go.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
zachrwolfe
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:26 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »

It would be interesting if Brian reunited with some old songwriting partners. Is Andy Paley still with us? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their last collaboration produced some better than average material. Actually, when was the last time that Brian and Mike sat down one on one, without any outside influences, and tried an equal collaboration together, totally from scratch?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:22 PM by zatch » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

Brian may be able to do it but during the tour he was generally taking carls parts in the harmony stack,and doing a damn fine job of it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »

My hope is that, if it's another BB record, they ditch Foskett's vocals and have Brian or Bruce sing the high parts. To me, on TWGMTR Jeff's voice just overpowers everything else and makes it sound less like The Beach Boys. Of course, this is a highly unlikely wish, but the Gershwin album is proof Brian still has the ability. I also watched a radio interview from 2010 or something where they played the recording of Surfer Girl for Brian and he started singing along perfectly. So don't say he can't. Also, to Jeff's credit, I do think he has a great voice, I would just rather he not sing on BBs records.
You watched a radio interview?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
zachrwolfe
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »

During the C50 tour some new song titles of Brian's were mentioned (I forgot them of course  Roll Eyes). I don't know if he will record with The Beach Boys but maybe he is cutting those songs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »

My hope is that, if it's another BB record, they ditch Foskett's vocals and have Brian or Bruce sing the high parts. To me, on TWGMTR Jeff's voice just overpowers everything else and makes it sound less like The Beach Boys. Of course, this is a highly unlikely wish, but the Gershwin album is proof Brian still has the ability. I also watched a radio interview from 2010 or something where they played the recording of Surfer Girl for Brian and he started singing along perfectly. So don't say he can't. Also, to Jeff's credit, I do think he has a great voice, I would just rather he not sing on BBs records.
You watched a radio interview?
While that admittedly does sound odd, I indeed did watch an interview that was broadcast over radio, which was simultaneously filmed.

Brian does break out into damn near perfect falsetto for about 3 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQ0HutAFaE

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »

Bruce did a few falsettos on the last record...parts of "Think About The Days", "Bill and Sue", "Shelter".  Foskett also sang falsettos on those tunes, but Bruce has a falsetto line or two on those three, at least.  I think Brian's only falsettos come near the end, at one point on "Strange World" and again on "Pacific Coast Highway", both times his lead turns into a falsetto for a few notes.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »

BIM would be fine if it rocked. You can barely hear Dave's guitar. Dave's song Anywhere USA on his new album is better and could have been a much greater choice for Radio. Requirements for a new BB album, as per our collective wisdom:  minimal Jeff, songs that rock, and no reliance on mere nostalgia without an edge or a heart.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

Bruce did a few falsettos on the last record...parts of "Think About The Days", "Bill and Sue", "Shelter".  Foskett also sang falsettos on those tunes, but Bruce has a falsetto line or two on those three, at least.  I think Brian's only falsettos come near the end, at one point on "Strange World" and again on "Pacific Coast Highway", both times his lead turns into a falsetto for a few notes.

I think Brian starts going into a falsetto on "Think about the days" too, but it seems that before he gets real high Foskett takes over.

And just to mention, Bruce does a great job on the record.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »

Rocker, you are the ultimate master and sage authority. Do you know, wise one, if the BB are making an album this year. Or are they themselves taking it a day at a time. Are we going to get Radio II, which is already in the can and thus have no actual new BB studio collaboration but rather producers packaging stuff that did not make it into Radio?

Thanks, master.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:05:56 AM by the professor » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

Rocker, you are the ultimate master and sage authority.

That would be news....  Shocked 

I don't know anything more than every other regular (not insider) member on here. My guess is that it's more likely than another tour but that wouldn't mean much. Let's just enjoy 50+ years of great music and not worry about what will happen. TWGMTR was very good and a great ending to a fabulous career

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »

BIM would be fine if it rocked. You can barely hear Dave's guitar. Dave's song Anywhere USA on his new album is better and could have been a much greater choice for Radio. Requirements for a new BB album, as per our collective wisdom:  minimal Jeff, songs that rock, and no reliance on mere nostalgia without an edge or a heart.

You know professor, I think that as long as we are talking about The Beach Boys, nostalgia is unavoidable. Unfortunately it seems that Mike Love can't write a Beach Boys lyric that isn't super referential. And Brian himself even did that "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" thing. And I'm not saying nostalgia is bad. But when it comes as ham-handedly as Mike is dishing it out, it's rough.

And even though I, like you, want this new material Brian is working on to be for a Beach Boys album, chances are this might be solo BW. I remember Peter Reum (I think) saying Brian wanted to do a solo album this year, and then there is just the fact that even TWGMTR was too "out there" for Mike. The fact that he seriously publicly complained about the suite at the end is ridiculous. I'm not sure Mike wants to work with Brian anymore, unless it was under his terms, and I don't think Melinda and co. really wanna bow down to Mike's whims.

I think the only way we get a new Beach Boys album is if Capitol tells Brian, "hey, we like the songs, but we'll give you a deal, and more money if you make it a Beach Boys album." Who knows??Kinda like Warner/Reprise/whoever convinced Lindsey Buckingham turn what was going to be an early '00s solo album into a the Say You Will album by Fleetwood Mac.

Or, if they use some of the other 20 or so songs that were already recorded, that might be how we get new Beach Boys material. Maybe Brian is actually sweetening those. That would greatly cut the involvement with Mike and Bruce if that's a touchy subject.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

If Mike had control, it would be SIP part two. The man's vision of the BBs is truly scary at this point. The best I can describe Mike's idea of the group IMO is this: He only cares about the objects and culture in the older songs (cars, surf boards, and cheap romance). While I think Brian looks at the BBs as a outlet for more human spiritual concerns.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

You know professor, I think that as long as we are talking about The Beach Boys, nostalgia is unavoidable. Unfortunately it seems that Mike Love can't write a Beach Boys lyric that isn't super referential. And Brian himself even did that "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" thing. And I'm not saying nostalgia is bad. But when it comes as ham-handedly as Mike is dishing it out, it's rough.

And even though I, like you, want this new material Brian is working on to be for a Beach Boys album, chances are this might be solo BW. I remember Peter Reum (I think) saying Brian wanted to do a solo album this year, and then there is just the fact that even TWGMTR was too "out there" for Mike. The fact that he seriously publicly complained about the suite at the end is ridiculous. I'm not sure Mike wants to work with Brian anymore, unless it was under his terms, and I don't think Melinda and co. really wanna bow down to Mike's whims.

I think the only way we get a new Beach Boys album is if Capitol tells Brian, "hey, we like the songs, but we'll give you a deal, and more money if you make it a Beach Boys album." Who knows??Kinda like Warner/Reprise/whoever convinced Lindsey Buckingham turn what was going to be an early '00s solo album into a the Say You Will album by Fleetwood Mac.

Or, if they use some of the other 20 or so songs that were already recorded, that might be how we get new Beach Boys material. Maybe Brian is actually sweetening those. That would greatly cut the involvement with Mike and Bruce if that's a touchy subject.

Whoa, missed this one: Mike actually complained about the ending suite on TWGMTR?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »

Whoa, missed this one: Mike actually complained about the ending suite on TWGMTR?

Yeah, in a Rolling Stone interview. After the suite ended after a playback in the studio, Mike responded by "putting his fingers into the shape of a gun, placing it under his chin and shooting himself in the head. 'It's brilliant, beautiful, but I didn't write it, so it doesn't have that silver cloud on the cumulus nimbus. It's more cumulus than I probably would do.'" He just isn't happy unless its referencing "Good Vibrations", "I Get Around", "Kokomo", "Fun, Fun, Fun" and everything else.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »

That quote in the rolling stone article is enough to make you hate Mike Love.

What a tool

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »

What a tool

Yes, how terrible of him to call it brilliant and beautiful. What an awful, awful man.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »

What a tool

Yes, how terrible of him to call it brilliant and beautiful. What an awful, awful man.

So you missed him blowing his brains out with a gun, saying that because he didn't write it, it doesn't have a "silver cloud". If Mike got his hands on that song he would have changed it to "Summer's gone but not for long".

Stop trying to defend his actions. He doesn't appreciate when Brian puts his soul into his music. He wants Brian singing about Beaches and nostalgia for the rest of his days.

I'm not saying Mike was always like that, His work at one point was so good I'd classify him as a genius but he's lost it, his creativity and his mind.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:26:52 PM by Shady » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »

What a tool

So you missed him blowing his brains out with a gun, saying that because he didn't write it, it doesn't have a "silver cloud". If Mike got his hands on that song he would have changed it to "Summer's gone but not for long".

Stop trying to defend his actions. He doesn't appreciate when Brian puts his soul into his music. He wants Brian singing about Beaches and nostalgia for the rest of his days.

I'm not saying Mike was always like that, His work at one point was so good I'd classify him as a genius but he's lost it, his creativity and his mind.
I agree Shady, the quote almost makes it seem he praised it  because he was "walking on eggshells" around Brian's team.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx