gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681575 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 17, 2024, 03:32:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on future Beach Boys plans, no more reunions!  (Read 39194 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »

Go for it, Brian!!!!

w00t!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »

God, it's killing me.

I really want to know what he's recording

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »

Even if it's not BB material yet, it could be, right? From what he said last night. . . . .sorry lads, spinning in circles. . . . .just anxious until we hear something concrete about the BB album.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

Give it some time...

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:10 AM »

At the top of the Entertainment section on the HuffingtonPost.com....nothing new but still a startling headline

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/beach-boys-reunion-brian-wilson_n_2664061.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »

God, it's killing me.

I really want to know what he's recording
Music. He's been doing that for years...

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »

Hearing the guys plus that band for 70 plus gigs last year, I can't imagine him not having a few ideas for new material.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:42 AM »

I dont' care guys.  He's awesome, I don't give a sh*t if he's recording Mary had a little lamb, I'm going to buy it.  Lemme flash back a year or two for you

1. He recorded a bunch of Disney songs
2. I bought it
3. I really liked it

That's where I'm coming from.  Things I like about Brian:

1. His voice, even when it's off key
2. His lyrics, even when they're kind of corny
3. His production, even when other people say it's predictable
4. His band, even when they sound a little too shmaltzy
5. Pictures of Brian, even when he's fat, old, and kind of weird

BRING ON THE NEW MUSIC, BRIAN!!!!!
Word. AMEN to that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 03:33:25 AM »

I dont' care guys.  He's awesome, I don't give a sh*t if he's recording Mary had a little lamb, I'm going to buy it.  Lemme flash back a year or two for you

1. He recorded a bunch of Disney songs
2. I bought it
3. I really liked it

That's where I'm coming from.  Things I like about Brian:

1. His voice, even when it's off key
2. His lyrics, even when they're kind of corny
3. His production, even when other people say it's predictable
4. His band, even when they sound a little too shmaltzy
5. Pictures of Brian, even when he's fat, old, and kind of weird

BRING ON THE NEW MUSIC, BRIAN!!!!!
Word. AMEN to that.

Absolutely. I want new Brian Wilson songs. I'd quite like Al Jardine to sing lead on them, but it's up to Brian, and whether we get a Beach Boys album, a "some Beach Boys" album, or a Brian solo album, I'll buy it, and chances are I'll enjoy it.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 03:41:01 AM »

Hearing the guys plus that band for 70 plus gigs last year, I can't imagine him not having a few ideas for new material.

+1.  The C50 tour may be done, but the inspiration would be impossible to ignore.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »

Ohhkay, even if it's not a Beach Boys album...  How about a Brian Wilson album with guest vocalist Al Jardine?  And guest guitarist David Marks?

Another "From There To Back Again" would suit me just fine.  Surely even AGD can't object to that on artistic grounds?...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 04:54:31 AM »

Ohhkay, even if it's not a Beach Boys album...  How about a Brian Wilson album with guest vocalist Al Jardine?  And guest guitarist David Marks?

Another "From There To Back Again" would suit me just fine.  Surely even AGD can't object to that on artistic grounds?...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

That's what I've been saying for a while -- I want Jardine Sings Wilson. Not so bothered either way if David is on it -- Brian's music of recent decades doesn't really lend itself to much in the way of showy guitar parts, and so it doesn't really matter to me who plays them. But I would *love* an album like That Lucky Old Sun, but with Al singing lead.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:02 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum
That's what I've been saying for a while -- I want Jardine Sings Wilson. Not so bothered either way if David is on it -- Brian's music of recent decades doesn't really lend itself to much in the way of showy guitar parts, and so it doesn't really matter to me who plays them. But I would *love* an album like That Lucky Old Sun, but with Al singing lead.
TLOS is the Beach Boys story.  It would be cool at some point for "them" to do at least a shortened version. With TLOS, Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl, Can't Wait Too Long, Midnight's Another Day, Going Home, and Southern California.  If only for artistic and non-commercial reasons, and weave it into the perennial favorites on the set list... And let the chips fall where they may.

By "them" I mean The Band should they "celebrate" again.   Wink
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:22 AM »

Everyone has his own ideas, so why compete with each other. I will fall silent until we hear the truth about an album. I hope all our visions are fulfilled somehow by the work we get, however it comes about about and with whatever agents. going underground until real news appears. . . .
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »

I wouldn't mind if Al sang say, the majority of the album, but while he's still here I really want to hear new recordings featuring Brian's voice as much as I can. It's really special I think that the guy that wrote and sang so many of those beloved songs and who probably had the most recognizable voice in the 60's can still be heard on new songs in 2013. It's the same thing with Paul McCartney, I know he's lost most of his voice now but I still wouldn't want an album of his songs sung by Eric Clapton or someone else.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

Brian still has productive years left in him.  In country music, a lot of those guys sing really late on.  For instance, Ray Price is 87 years old and still sounds very good.  Brian's style was much harder to sing back in the day, but he still sounds pretty good on new songs tailored to his voice.  This isn't just a 1 or 2 year proposition, it's completely possible Brian could give us another 20 years of music if he wanted to. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »

At the top of the Entertainment section on the HuffingtonPost.com....nothing new but still a startling headline

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/beach-boys-reunion-brian-wilson_n_2664061.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

LOL

So dramatic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »

to me, and it's an unpopular opinion and probably one i am mostly alone in having, this "reunion" was a let down anyway, so not having any more is fine.    i cannot speak of the concerts, which maybe were great, but the album....blah.  Some nice things, but overall leaves me flat.   i realize they maybe had to do this sort of album for commercial reasons, but to me what would have been a much better reunion album would have been Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David - and just them, no one else - singing with the voices that they actually have nowadays - no autotune whatchamacallits and all that - and with mostly spare backing instrumentation.  a classy, real album.   the material could be a mix of originals and interesting covers, perhaps song by song tracing their career - start with a Freshman tune (though something other than THWFOS) and touch upon every phase/inspiration they've been through.....rough old voices and all, this would be the kind of an album i know i would love.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »

LOL So dramatic
(quote)
Benjamin Franklin said, "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

And, I thought my mother made that up.  LOL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:34:04 AM by filledeplage » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

to me, and it's an unpopular opinion and probably one i am mostly alone in having, this "reunion" was a let down anyway, so not having any more is fine.    i cannot speak of the concerts, which maybe were great, but the album....blah.  Some nice things, but overall leaves me flat.  

I tend to agree about the album -- it's *listenable*, very good in parts, but frankly I thought that both Brian and Al's recent solo work was better. Although it's very nice that the last Beach Boys album is no longer Summer In Paradise but is something half-decent.

The tour, though, was astonishingly good.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »

As long as Brian sings lead I'm happy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

As long as Brian sings lead I'm happy.

I think it depends on the song at least a little - but yeah, agreed. His vocal, however processed, on "Summer's Gone" was so effective. Unlike on some of his solo vocals, you can tell THIS is the guy who sang Caroline, No...and he still has it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »

I'd like Dave to be on it playing guitar, and I'd DEFINITELY like Al to be on it singing.

If Brian's next work comes out with 12 tracks, how about Al singing lead on 2 or 3 and singing background on all of them. I think it works better when Brian's harmonies are different voices and not a "wall of Brian," and Al is great in a vocal mix.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »

Mike has responded, according to a post over on the Steve Hoffman board:
You may have read that certain members of the extended Beach Boys family have announced that they will no longer be going on the road with The Beach Boys. While this is a disappointment, and we wish them every measure of success with whatever course they now choose to pursue, you can rest assured that the version of The Beach Boys most familiar to millions plan to continue to bring our hit spectacle to cities across the world this year, and for many years to come. Please join us as the version of The Beach Boys that you know, love, and have repeatedly embraced over decades continues to celebrate the greatness of the the band's legacy. Bring your family and friends and we'll bring the songs and the smiles. Rock on!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/02/12/entertainment/doc511a7767176cb790436562.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Entertainment.

Al Jardine: A Beach Boy itching to get out on the road again

Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2013

By Mike Morsch
Executive Editor

Even the lengthy and successful 50th Anniversary Tour of the Beach Boys has not slaked Beach Boy Al Jardine’s taste for performing. He’s ready to keep rocking

It’s January in California and Al Jardine is sitting around at home listening to doo wop music. The Cadillacs, the Cleftones, the Drifters, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers.

“Some young man from New Orleans, a fledgling agent I think, sent these doo wop tapes to me,” said Jardine. “I really appreciate it because it brings back a lot of good memories.”

Listening to doo wop music, it’s one of the ways the 70-year-old Jardine — a founding member of the Beach Boys — recharges his batteries.

It’s been a few months now since the end of the hugely successful 50th Anniversary Tour of the Beach Boys, which played 73 dates around the world and even spawned a new album, “That’s Why God Made the Radio,” the first original Beach Boys album produced since “Summer in Paradise” in 1992.

But the end of the run was not without its controversy, something not at all new to the Beach Boys. Iconic founder Brian Wilson, Jardine and original guitarist David Marks wanted to continue to ride the proverbial big wave that the tour provided. As has been the case over the history of the Beach Boys, co-founder Mike Love had his own ideas, ones that included touring as the Beach Boys with just himself and bandmate Bruce Johnston.

There was a well-publicized hissing match at the end of the run in which, once again, Love came off as the villain to many Beach Boys fans, despite his attempts to explain that the 50th anniversary tour had a scheduled finite end and that he and Johnston had already started to line up dates for their version of the Beach Boys once the tour ended.

There is Wilson’s perspective and there is Love’s perspective. And right in the middle sits Jardine, who has had a front-row seat for all that is the Beach Boys since the beginning. He’s got a perspective, too, but oftentimes it’s overlooked by the bigness that is Brian Wilson and Mike Love.

“I talked to Mike about it a couple of times and he just wanted some distance from it,” said Jardine in a recent interview. “He wanted to get away and not do this for a while with us. You should probably interview him and ask him. For whatever reason, he didn’t want to do it anymore.

“So he’s out there doing his version of the Beach Boys. I’m sure people come out and enjoy that, too. But it leaves the rest of us going, ‘Hey, we just got all geared up for this and we want to get out,’ but now we’re all just sitting around on our fannies,” said Jardine.

All of which means that at this point, 2013 won’t see another Beach Boys tour. Although anything can happen, Love and Johnston will apparently do their thing and Wilson, Jardine and Marks will hook up for some gigs, at least one of which is already confirmed, July 25, at the Fraze Pavilion in Kettering, Ohio.

Jardine admits, though, that after the big 2012 tour, he’s tired of sitting around the past few months and that he should “get my butt down there [with Brian] and do some stuff with him because he’s got such an inventive mind.”

“He’s still so amazing,” said Jardine, sounding more like a fan than a collaborator. “Whenever he sits down at a piano, he can figure out arrangements that you wouldn’t even imagine. It’s striking what he can do. He can take an idea to the next level.”

If that doesn’t work out, Jardine might try another solo project. His first solo effort, “A Postcard from California,” was re-released in conjunction with the 50th anniversary tour and sold pretty well at the concert merchandise table. The CD featured contributions from Wilson and the Beach Boys, as well as from Glen Campbell, David Crosby, Neil Young, Steve Miller and Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell of America.

“I’ll think about it [another solo project], but it’s dicey,” said Jardine. “These things take a lot of time and work. You put a lot of love into something and then there’s no way to distribute it.”

The bottom line, though, is that at this stage of his career, Jardine would rather perform than record.

“If you’re someone like me who’s been around a while, you want to get it right [in the studio]. And sometimes, you’re not happy with the first session, you go for another. Pretty soon, you’re spending a month on one song,” he said.

“Frankly, if you’re working with Brian Wilson, it’s worth it. The guy is an iconic figure in 20th century music. But we’ve got to get a little more out of him and little more out of me and a little more out of Mike, and hopefully we’ll do it again next year.”

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx