gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson Home  (Read 4557 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »

Check this out

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3701+W+120th+St+HAWTHORNE,+CA+90250&layer=c&cbll=33.923977,-118.337531&cbp=12,0,0,0,0

The real home of the Wilson Brothers

Post your thoughts on the home

I had a fast Life
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »

One block out. Try 119th.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

This is where the Wilson home stood, until it was demolished and the 405 freeway was built through it:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3701+W+119th+St+HAWTHORNE,+CA+90250&layer=c&cbll=33.923977,-118.337531&cbp=12,0,0,0,0

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:48:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

Actually, that's the 105 freeway...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »

Right. California Interstate 105. Also known as the Century Freeway. Also known as the Glenn Anderson Freeway.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »

I'm curious exactly how many houses were demolished to create the freeway? Also who lived in the Wilson house later.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

Immediately after Murry & Audree moved out, no-one: Brian went there with Audree after he came back from Houston in December 1964.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »

Quite a few houses and small apartment buildings were bought and demolished for the 105 Freeway.  It's in the hundreds.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »

Immediately after Murry & Audree moved out, no-one: Brian went there with Audree after he came back from Houston in December 1964.

Empty 20 years before it was demolished?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »

Empty 20 years before it was demolished?
I believe it was used as Sea of Tunes office space until 1966.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

At one point in the 60's, the Sea Of Tunes office was in Murry's house in Whittier. He had a music room there with a custom stained glass window of the "Sea Of Tunes" logo.

Drove by the old house on W. 119th St. around 1974 or 1975. Pretty sure there was someone living there - the front door was open and someone was standing near it. I'll bet there was someone living there until the mid-80's when it was torn down.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

At one point in the 60's, the Sea Of Tunes office was in Murry's house in Whittier. He had a music room there with a custom stained glass window of the "Sea Of Tunes" logo.

Drove by the old house on W. 119th St. around 1974 or 1975. Pretty sure there was someone living there - the front door was open and someone was standing near it. I'll bet there was someone living there until the mid-80's when it was torn down.

Oh so I misinterpreted AGD's post earlier. Guess I will have to suffer a put-down later! Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

AGD's factoid was documented in one of the Rolling Stone or Crawdaddy articles and/or one of the books; Gaines, White, maybe Briian's own biography. Brian had one of first major breakdowns on a plane going to Texas, went on with the show in Houston, then came home and met Audree at the airport in L.A., where they drove to the old house in Hawthorne and they talked and Brian unloaded.   

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »

Did the Wilson family still own it up until it was demolished?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

There is a video on youtube of the first Wilson home in a state of mid demolition. It's one of those urban explorer videos. It's a shame no one got to 119th address before it was torn down, that would have made a good walkthrough.
Or better still, not have demolished it at all and have it as a museum like they did with the Beatles childhood homes. Decor circa 1960, complete with the piped in sound of Murry yelling.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 02:26:07 AM »

What exactly is/was the Sea Of Tunes log?  Google left me empty handed.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

Billy Hinsche offers a DVD called "Home Movies". The movie includes a visit to Murry's home at 9042 La Alba Dr, Whittier CA. This was also the home of Sea Of Tunes Publishing. There was a big custom-made stained glass window in the music room with the words "Sea Of Tunes". I think I remember reading that there was a music clef or some sort of musical notation with the logo. Just going by memory here from someone who lived next store to him. If somebody here has the Hinsche video, they could describe it better than I.

Edit: Just dug up an old e-mail from about 4 years ago where I contacted Murry's neighbor. Here's what he said:

Off the top of my head I can't say for sure when it was that Brian, Dennis and Carl moved from 119th, but early in 1965 Murry Wilson (who knew nothing of his son's drug use) was living in Whittier in a new, expensively decorated house with a circular driveway and an expansive view of the valley, purchased with the enormous publishing royalities that continued to flow in. The new house had a large music room, with an organ and piano, and a huge stained-glass window with a visual depiction of a "Sea of Tunes". Renovations on different areas of the house were continuous, just as they had been in Hawthorne. Curiously, Murry had bought his wife Audree, her own home just around the corner from his. This was a kind of stalemate separation; Audree and Murry loved each other, but they could no longer live together. Even after spending the day with Murry, Audree would go to her own house to sleep. After a trip to Japan, Murry hired a Japanese secretary, which raised a few eyebrows - friends referred to her as his "Geisha."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:25:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx