gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:45:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simon & Garfunkel appreciation thread  (Read 23457 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »

Much as I enjoyed Paul's solo career, I still miss Artie in the vocal mix.     at least on most songs.    they could have gone on as an act, mixing harmony songs with individual vocal performances on other songs.  Although I don' t think Artie would have "fit" on Graceland.

Hearts and Bones which is probably my favorite Paul Simon solo album was originally intended to be a Simon & Garfunkel album to coincide with their 1983 reunion tour.  There are bootlegs out there of Train in the Distance and Song About the Moon with Garfunkel studio vocals.  Think Too Much, Cars Are Cars, and The Late Great Johnny Ace were also included in their setlists on the tour.  But in the end, it just didn't work out.  Simon decided to wipe Garfunkel's vocals from the album.  Honestly, I can see why it didn't work but I still would love to hear what it would have sounded like.  Think Too Much in particular, the fast version, sounds like it could have made a great Simon & Garfunkel song.  You can read more about it here.
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ithink-too-muchi-sg-album-wasnt-0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:16:44 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »

I thought I'd post here that art Garfunkel has a new book out. I heard this interview with him and thought I'd post the link:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/art-gafunkel/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »

Simon's definitely better singer than Garfunkel.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

Simon's definitely better singer than Garfunkel.
I think Paul himself might differ with you on that assertion.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 04:30:14 AM »

Great to see this topic revived after three and a half years!

Last night I watched a film version of a play called My Old Lady and all of a sudden amidst all the original music they played Paul Simon's "Peace Like A River". This may just be my favourite track of his: those descending backing vocals and Paul's sudden leap into wordless falsetto----fantastic! And it betrays his interest in "the sound of a cappella groups, yeah". I could listen to this all day. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmPfEMI16g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old_Lady_(film)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »

I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to figure out how to play Peace Like A River on my guitar.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2017, 04:03:26 AM »

I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to figure out how to play Peace Like A River on my guitar.

Yes, it sounds quite virtuosic! Shows what a fine musician Mr Simon is.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »

I think Paul himself might differ with you on that assertion.
Interesting - didn't Paul say he regretted to not sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water"?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »

I've had "The Only Living Boy in New York" stuck in my head all morning.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »

Love Simon and Garfunkel! Never really enjoyed Simon on his own, though . Together? Magic. Transcendence  is such a way that I experience with the work of few other artists (say, the beach Boys)!
KDS
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »

Love Simon and Garfunkel! Never really enjoyed Simon on his own, though . Together? Magic. Transcendence  is such a way that I experience with the work of few other artists (say, the beach Boys)!

That's pretty much how I feel about Paul Simon.   Outside of a couple songs, his solo material does little for me.   But the work with S&G is amazing. 

For the most part, I feel the same about Sting and The Police. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »

I'm presently reading "Paul Simon: The Life" by Robert Hilburn, which came out recently.
I've listened to some of Simon and Garfunkel's early Tom and Jerry recordings they did as teenagers.
For some reason I had never listened to their first album, Wednesday Morning 3 AM. Finally did last night. Wow! Absolutely wonderful songs and harmonies. It strikes a nice balance between the starkness of Dylan's first album and the slickness of some of the folky groups popular at that time. I highly recommend it.

I also listened to and enjoyed Simon's early solo work, Songbook, recorded while he was living in England. That includes several songs that appeared on later S&G albums.

Also read that Simon took an acting class in college with Andrew Goodman, one of the 3 men brutally murdered during that horrible "Mississippi Summer" of 1964. His murder really shook Simon up. He dedicated a song, "He Was My Brother" to his memory. Even though the song was written before Goodman's death, the lyrics are very apt - "They shot my brother dead/Because he hated what was wrong."

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »

Wednesday Morning 3am is actually my favorite of their albums.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx