gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:17:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simon & Garfunkel appreciation thread  (Read 23470 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

Paul Simon in the middle of an unfinished "Still Crazy" on the Dick Cavett show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtOa8d_BHU

EDIT: More here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLbV5gSIqI
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:36:56 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

Ok this is Simon solo but it's been driving me crazy: are the drums on the opening of Mother and Child Reunion mixed a bit too high for anybody else? They start and the music seems to be at a normal volume but then the guitar comes in on the left channel and it's *so quiet.*

Is this just me?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
bluesno1fann
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

Love Simon And Garfunkel.
The Sound Of Silence, Mrs. Robinson, and Scarborough Fair is what got me into music!

Though like the Beatles, I'm pretty much over them.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »

The Sound Of Silence, Mrs. Robinson, and Scarborough Fair is what got me into music!

Over them as in listened too much to them, or tired of the praise they receive?
Hopefully not the latter, because like the Beach Boys they never get the praise they deserve.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
bluesno1fann
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »

Over them as in listened too much to them, or tired of the praise they receive?
Hopefully not the latter, because like the Beach Boys they never get the praise they deserve.

Oh they deserve the praise they get. I just listened to them too much, same with the Beatles.
Though I think they already have a lot of praise as it is, unlike the Beach Boys.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:59 PM »

Was just thinking the other day how Art's voice would have sounded in the Beach Boys stack so thanks for bumping this thread.

I know Art's voice has been damaged for the last couple years but if he is healed up then Brian should get him in on the Brian Wilson and Friends album he is doing with Al and Blondie.

Also it has been a while since I listened to it, I really liked Garfunkel's "Everything Waits to be Noticed" album with Buddy Mondlock & Maia Sharp.

Title track here: (Buddy Mondlock playing the Paul Simon role)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGs9D3JwwqE
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:48:54 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IwYQ1Vqf_4
The Only Living Boy In New York has some of the only harmonies that rival The Boys' stuff.

A discipline daddy.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »

OregonRiverRider,  I love the trio that Artie put together to make that album as well.  I think they could get very close to the sound of S&G on some of the tracks, especially "The Kid," a fav.  My other favorites:  "The Thread" "Bounce" "What I Love About Rain" and the one you posted (I'll keep it a surprise for future posters and guests to click to find).   It's a mystery why there wasn't a follow up.  Only guess is that Buddy and Maia have fans of their own.  Artie did do a great new track with Maia on his Singer package.  
Garfunkel may not be able to ever perform live again.  We can hope, but after so much time it seems unlikely.  He Can "piece" together a good performance, which is the method he used with his recent out-put.  The Singer tracks and he did one with Jimmy Webb on his new album last year.  They are all just fine.  Given enough time he could "piece" together enough tracks to put out another album.  He is one of America's finest singers.  He even gave up smoking, or he says he did...He's such a stoner though, I doubt it.  He sure is popular with the State Patrol around here - been busted twice that I know of in the Woodstock area.  Not the driver either, he rides in the back of the limousine.  That tends to stick out on all the back roads here.  May be the same limo that the record cover was shot from.
To touch on the topic...Simon and Garfunkel was too brief.  Both Artie and Paul put out more solo records.  It's nice when they did get together over the years.  I saw the reunion tour back in the early 80's, they filled up the Oakland Ball Park.  To this day I think Paul's Hearts and Bones would have been better if he had left Artie on...damn that Star Wars lady.  It's still my third favorite Paul album.  Artie was singing a couple of songs that were intended for the record.  They should put out a CD/DVD of that tour.  The other reunion tour I missed, but have the CD/DVD, and enjoy it very much.  They put a "rockier" edge on the numbers, and I think it worked.
Everybody has a different take on what was their Best album.  I think they got better with each one.  But overall Bookends had more of my favorite numbers than the others, so that's the one I point to when someone asks.  Paul's first two solo albums are my favorite.  Artie...Watermark is the best one, I'm too big a Webb fan for it not to be.  But all his albums are Top.  When he couldn't get Columbia to re-master his records, save for the Singer stuff, Japan's division took it on and put out all of it through Lefty.  To say how much I dig this guy, I bought them.  Very expensive, but very worth it.  Some of them have bonus tracks, and released in their British configuration when appropriate.
So yeah, I'll say a Big fan of both Paul and Artie.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:22:45 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 04:29:20 AM »

OregonRiverRider,  I love the trio that Artie put together to make that album as well.  I think they could get very close to the sound of S&G on some of the tracks, especially "The Kid," a fav.  My other favorites:  "The Thread" "Bounce" "What I Love About Rain" and the one you posted (I'll keep it a surprise for future posters and guests to click to find).   It's a mystery why there wasn't a follow up.  Only guess is that Buddy and Maia have fans of their own.  Artie did do a great new track with Maia on his Singer package. 
Garfunkel may not be able to ever perform live again.  We can hope, but after so much time it seems unlikely.  He Can "piece" together a good performance, which is the method he used with his recent out-put.  The Singer tracks and he did one with Jimmy Webb on his new album last year.  They are all just fine.  Given enough time he could "piece" together enough tracks to put out another album.  He is one of America's finest singers.  He even gave up smoking, or he says he did...He's such a stoner though, I doubt it.  He sure is popular with the State Patrol around here - been busted twice that I know of in the Woodstock area.  Not the driver either, he rides in the back of the limousine.  That tends to stick out on all the back roads here.  May be the same limo that the record cover was shot from.
To touch on the topic...Simon and Garfunkel was too brief.  Both Artie and Paul put out more solo records.  It's nice when they did get together over the years.  I saw the reunion tour back in the early 80's, they filled up the Oakland Ball Park.  To this day I think Paul's Hearts and Bones would have been better if he had left Artie on...damn that Star Wars lady.  It's still my third favorite Paul album.  Artie was singing a couple of songs that were intended for the record.  They should put out a CD/DVD of that tour.  The other reunion tour I missed, but have the CD/DVD, and enjoy it very much.  They put a "rockier" edge on the numbers, and I think it worked.
Everybody has a different take on what was their Best album.  I think they got better with each one.  But overall Bookends had more of my favorite numbers than the others, so that's the one I point to when someone asks.  Paul's first two solo albums are my favorite.  Artie...Watermark is the best one, I'm too big a Webb fan for it not to be.  But all his albums are Top.  When he couldn't get Columbia to re-master his records, save for the Singer stuff, Japan's division took it on and put out all of it through Lefty.  To say how much I dig this guy, I bought them.  Very expensive, but very worth it.  Some of them have bonus tracks, and released in their British configuration when appropriate.
So yeah, I'll say a Big fan of both Paul and Artie.

Good news feelflows. Artie is on a mini tour right now.
Here is "Kathy's Song". He is not all the way back but not bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIV97y3dI_w

The new "The Singer" tracks aren't bad, "Lena" and "Long Way Home". I have seen Artie twice solo, Paul once and S&G once.  Great artists.

Thanks for the great Artie limo stories. You do know your S&G.

Gosh, I wish the Heart and Bones tracks with Artie still exist and would be released.  I read Paul wiped um but you never know.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:57 AM »

Wow, what great news.  I haven't keyed in his name into a YouTube search for awhile.  This shows he could do another record.  I'll be fine with that, as long as he doesn't use auto-tune.  Don't hear that on the clip you posted.  A man on a tightrope for sure.  Still very fragile.  He must really want to do this.  So many of my old favorites are in their seventies now.  Many of them still touring worn-out voices.  But have you heard Judy Collins' recent records?  She can still sing like a bird.  She can sing like that live too.  The price of tickets these days would keep me from shows like this.  When I was on Long Island a couple of weeks ago I was shocked when told what John Fogerty could pull in up to $350 per seat for a small Theatre Show (the old Westbury Music Fair/now NYCB), that's the kind of place he would play.  
Back when I was living (and Working) in San Francisco, I could.  But never had the chance.  I don't remember him doing any solo shows there.  I have the 1996 DVD he put out of the Ellis Island Show.  Great, but too focused on S&G tracks (given a new spin presented solo) - when I'd rather he played from his solo songbook.  I did see Paul several times in the 80's.  I looked up her name yesterday, but didn't come back to fix my post.  Carrie Fisher, only married to Paul for about a year, but that year was 1983/84 - while the Hearts and Bones sessions were being done and discussed.  My understanding is that the vocals are gone.  But, for years that's what we heard about Crosby/Nash being wiped from the Stills/Young project, and some of those have turned up over the years.  I am sure some of the first reunion tour ('82/'83) must have been recorded, but wasn't released because of the Central Park Show being pretty much what they were promoting.  The set list was different though, focusing less on Paul's solo material - more on the new stuff they were recording ("Allergies," "Think Too Much," "Hearts and Bones," "Johnny Ace," "Song About the Moon," "One Summer Night," "Cars Are Cars" and Artie showcased some of his recent Scissors Cut tracks: "A Heart in New York," and "In Cars" done as a duet! with Paul taking part of the lead), old S&G numbers - so better.  The Central Park Show was very similar to Paul's solo shows promoting One Trick Pony, Paul himself just getting back to playing gigs after a long lay-off - it took him five years to make the movie.
We'll see, I want a new record more than live dates.  Garfunkel is a master at choosing material.
EDIT:  Hold the Action.  After doing this post I did some research and found an article from 2011 that gives some detail on just what happened to the Artie vocals.  And what they have in the vaults.  I see now Gregg has helped me get it Linked.  Thank You Gregg.  I would be a better poster if I could learn more tech stuff, I'll get a book.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:44:50 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »

Here is that article you alluded to feelflows:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ithink-too-muchi-sg-album-wasnt-0

Think Too Much: The S&G Album That Wasn't (too long to post)

Interesting as Mark Linett pops up in the article

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »

Thanks Gregg!  I was just about to fill in some notes from the article, now everyone can read it themselves.  So more good news if Paul and Artie will allow it to happen.  But Robin wrote the piece three years ago now.  At least it confirms what is out there!
It's a long shot that Mark might be reading over in the General Music Threads, but if he sees this I hope he will add a bit more on his take from those 1982 sessions.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »

Thanks Gregg!  I was just about to fill in some notes from the article, now everyone can read it themselves.  So more good news if Paul and Artie will allow it to happen.  But Robin wrote the piece three years ago now.  At least it confirms what is out there!
It's a long shot that Mark might be reading over in the General Music Threads, but if he sees this I hope he will add a bit more on his take from those 1982 sessions.

It is exciting to hear that a mix exists with the Garfunkel vocals. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Hope it comes out one day.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:54:41 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IwYQ1Vqf_4
The Only Living Boy In New York has some of the only harmonies that rival The Boys' stuff.
Brilliant song and production! Harmonies are dreamlike.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »

Here is that article you alluded to feelflows:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ithink-too-muchi-sg-album-wasnt-0

Think Too Much: The S&G Album That Wasn't (too long to post)

Interesting as Mark Linett pops up in the article
Wow, thanks for that link. Maybe someday we'll get to hear those tapes, would be great to hear them.

Maybe somebody could convince Mr. Nash to release the tapes as bootlegs. :D Though I'd bet he wouldn't want to piss off Paul Simon.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »

I'm a novice at Simon & Garfunkel, of course I've heard all their big singles for as long as I've been alive, but I haven't been paying attention and haven't bought any of their albums yet.

Over the last couple months, I've been listening to a couple Paul Simon songs that I recorded off XM (you can hit a button and it saves the song that's playing).  So I've been driving around from time to time playing "Kodachrome" and "You can Call Me Al".  So I've been soaking in his genius slowly from those two songs.

The last week or so, I've been thinking about Art Garfunkel... and how he must have been pretty bad-ass because all the harmony lines behind Simon that he's signing on their big hits are pretty complex and amazing. 

So today, as I'm driving to work, "Sound of Silence" is playing.  It's just amazing of course, and when the song's over, the DJ goes "Isn't that incredible?" then explains that he was just playing the original version, without the orchestration.  Then he mentioned that it didn't sell well, so the record company called in Hal Blaine and some others to flesh it out and re-released it.  I'm not sure how much of that's true, but I'd never heard the stripped down version.  Pretty amazing.

So over the next couple years I'm going to slowly soak in some more of Paul Simon's work.  He's really fun to sing harmony too, you can just go crazy on the melody, I guess it's the way he wrote it... like "Slip Sliding Away"... who doesn't sing along and go "sllip SLIIIIIIDE! in away...."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »

My favourite song by them is Cecilia esp the opening where people are just tapping random beats on different objects.

I like the fairly pathetic nature of the lyrics.  "I get up to wash my face, when I go back to bed someone's taken my place!"

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »

So today, as I'm driving to work, "Sound of Silence" is playing.  It's just amazing of course, and when the song's over, the DJ goes "Isn't that incredible?" then explains that he was just playing the original version, without the orchestration.  Then he mentioned that it didn't sell well, so the record company called in Hal Blaine and some others to flesh it out and re-released it.  I'm not sure how much of that's true, but I'd never heard the stripped down version.  Pretty amazing.

Somewhat true, the original was never released as a single but was on the duo's first album, Wednesday Morning 3 AM.  The album itself was a flop and they initially broke up, Simon then began a semi-successful folk lounge act in Europe, he recorded one album, The Paul Simon Songbook of songs from his act, several of which would become Simon & Garfunkel songs.  Anyway, in '65, The Sound of Silence began to recieve airplay on US radio stations and famed producer Tom Wilson who decided to put some rock instrumentation on it to make it a marketable single without Simon or Garfunkel's involvement or ackowledgement.  It was the single's success that caused Simon & Garfunkel to regroup in the US and create and album around the new version of the song, appropriately titled Sounds of Silence which was a big hit.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »

That's essentially what he said I guess, I just didn't quite get all the specifics because it was in fast dj speak Smiley

"So they put it out like that, and it FLOPPED, it didn't go anywhere, so the record label called in Hal Blaine to add drums, and they layered on the instruments... it sold great like that and they said "COME ON BACK, PAUL!" so he came back from England and the rest is history!!!!"

LOL

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »

I'm a fan. 'Bookends' is my favorite album for sure. Rattling the teacups.

Bookends is my favorite as a complete  album.     With this US mid atlantic weather lately, I've been listening to Hazy Shade of Winter playing in my head........
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »

I love Simon & Garfunkel, and Paul Simon solo.

Right now I think my favorite S&G song is The Only Living Boy in New York. I read somewhere the song was about when Art went to film a movie, leaving Paul in NY to finish the record. ("I know your part'll go fine") To me the lyrics are a man trying to wish his friend well while also feeling lonely and maybe even resentful. ("I know you've been eager to fly now...") Very poignant. He calls Art "Tom" because they used to call themselves Tom and Jerry.

I also love Paul's An American Tune, from There Goes Rhymin' Simon.

Paul Simon has never been stuck in one place. Instead his music matured as he did, which is admirable. (So the pretentious early stuff was a product of youth and can be forgiven!)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:56:51 PM by Amy B. » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

I just watched The Graduate last night, probably one of my favorite movies.  Even though it's over 40 years old, it holds up tremendously and I seem to notice something new to love about it each time I watch it.  Simon and Garfunkel's songs have a huge presence and arguably had a lot to do with the film's success, I would certainly believe that.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »

Me too.  Watched it about a week ago.  Got it under the tree this past Christmas.  Wonder how many other board members have seen it recently?
Dave Grusin's music is great too.  Classic soundtrack.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »

Me too.  Watched it about a week ago.  Got it under the tree this past Christmas.  Wonder how many other board members have seen it recently?
Dave Grusin's music is great too.  Classic soundtrack.

I own it, and it's a wonderful film.
My fiance and I snuggle up and watch it from time to time!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

Much as I enjoyed Paul's solo career, I still miss Artie in the vocal mix.     at least on most songs.    they could have gone on as an act, mixing harmony songs with individual vocal performances on other songs.  Although I don' t think Artie would have "fit" on Graceland.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx