gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simon & Garfunkel appreciation thread  (Read 23454 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

Anyone else here a big fan?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

Nope, and you didn't even bother to even put in some cool songs or words to convince me why I should be.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

Nope, and you didn't even bother to even put in some cool songs or words to convince me why I should be.

No worries. His heart is in the right place.

You should check out "Fakin' It". You like The Beatles in 1967? You'd probably like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkFBOd4YN60

Also, Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of the most consistent albums that I've ever heard (barring a cover of "Bye, Bye Love"). Spotify it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »

I wasn't trying to win you over.
I couldn't care less if you liked them or not.
Your loss.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »

You should check out "Fakin' It". You like The Beatles in 1967? You'd probably like this.

Also, Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of the most consistent albums that I've ever heard (barring a cover of "Bye, Bye Love"). Spotify it.

Have you listened to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme all the way through?
It's my favorite album of theirs. It's really wonderful.
Really love Bookends too.

- Dr. Seuss
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »

Your loss.

This is a great way to get other people into music you like, that you presumably want to share and jointly enjoy.

[snip]

That was an alright song but then I'm not the hugest Beatles fan either, I suppose. I will listen to it again though since obviously one listen doesn't win you over on much of anything, haha. Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:12:05 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »

Love them very, very much.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:42:34 PM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

Your loss.

This is a great way to get other people into music you like, that you presumably want to share and jointly enjoy.

Didn't mean any disrespect. My apologies. If you're open to it, check out The Dangling Conversation. I really love that track.

- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:49:21 PM »

Love them very, very much.

What are some of your favorite tracks?

- Dr. Seuss
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

Bleecker St., The Sounds Of Silence, Richard Cory, I Am A Rock, The Sound Of Silence, April Come She Will,For Emily Whenever I May Find Her, Scarborough Fair/Canticle, Homeward Bound, Patterns, A Hazy Shade Of Winter, You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies, Fakin' It, Save The Life Of My Child, America, Overs, Bookends Theme, Mrs. Robinson, every single track on Bridge Over Troubled Water, My Little Town.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »

I love Simon and Garfunkel. My favorite of their songs is "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright." Their vocals and arrangements are heavenly, much like The Beatles or The Beach Boys at their peak.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

I had heard a sample of their instrumental "Anji" in Chumbawamba`s "Jacob`s Ladder" many, many times over the last few years without realizing it was from an S&G song until just a few months ago.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »

I also enjoy their live albums. On Old Friends: Live On Stage, Paul plays some incredible acoustic guitar, especially on "The Sounds Of Silence" and "El Condor Pasa".
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »

HUGE FAN. Paul Simon too, massive, massive, massive fan.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »

Along with the Beatles and the BB, Simon and Garfunkel are my favorite groups. Personally I think Paul Simon was a better songwriter than even Brian Wilson.

Anji was actually a David Graham piece.

BTW, acoustic guitar players will appreciate this rendition of Scarborough Fair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYHDQHQDS-4

As for their albums, I like all of them. However, I'm one of the few people I know who actually like their first album the best. It's the most "folk-y." This is one of the most outright, fantastically, indescribably beautiful songs ever written. Almost impossible for me to listen to it without shedding multiple tears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K0eknfuix8
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:40:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »

BTW, might as well tie this topic into the topic of the forum. Wink Fantastically beautiful rendition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjj5Orjnl0
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 10:16:03 PM »

In the same style is this less-well-known song from the same year. Was released as a single but never made it on an album.

You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies

The bridge or interlude part seems to be a prelude to his solo stuff in the 70's.

The following is a beautiful rendition of a Haitian folk song. Didn't make it onto Bridge Over Troubled Water, Cecilia having beaten it out for the album's "ethnic" song:
Feuilles-o
Whenever I listen to this song I always end up listening to it about 5 times in a row.

And speaking of Cecilia, really interesting story on the meaning of that song, if anyone's interested. It's not what you think the song is about.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:23:45 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:40:35 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »

And speaking of Cecilia, really interesting story on the meaning of that song, if anyone's interested. It's not what you think the song is about.
It's not about making love with Cecilia up in his bedroom?
Nope.

Read the discussion here. Very clever lyrics, completely throwing off the listener into taking the song literally. Sort the posts by oldest first.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:35:38 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »

Simon & Garfunkel session bassist Vs. Simon & Garfunkel session bassist game

a.k.a. Rank the Simon & Garfunkels #bass player

LARRY KNECHTEL                                                            JOE OSBORN
(Mrs. Robinson, America etc.)       VS.      (Bridge Over Troubled Water, album)

Both were EXTREMELY talented musicians overall (and Joe probably still is) but having researched Larry's career for my upcoming BREAD biog I gotta say Larry wins hands down, musically, for having co-written and arranged that piano intro of "Bridge..." (and for winning the Grammy) if nothing else ... and his bass duties on "Mr Tambourine Man" and The Doors debut confirms it for me. But that's just MY opinion ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »

Love 'em - Cloudy and Only Living Boy In New York my current two favourites, but really there are so many incredible tunes. I think Paul Simon is one of the great American songwriters. I love his first solo album too.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »

Love 'em - Cloudy and Only Living Boy In New York my current two favourites, but really there are so many incredible tunes. I think Paul Simon is one of the great American songwriters. I love his first solo album too.

I love those songs.
Cloudy is such a pretty little song.

- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »

I've been playing the crap out of this one lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vv6dh2W2gk

And I'm sure you all know, but Paul has some really wonderful solo stuff too.
I love this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE3kKUEY5WU

- Dr. Seuss
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx