gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
622817 Posts in 25046 Topics by 3556 Members - Latest Member: 13thBB December 16, 2017, 12:33:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simon & Garfunkel appreciation thread  (Read 5955 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »

Much as I enjoyed Paul's solo career, I still miss Artie in the vocal mix.     at least on most songs.    they could have gone on as an act, mixing harmony songs with individual vocal performances on other songs.  Although I don' t think Artie would have "fit" on Graceland.

Hearts and Bones which is probably my favorite Paul Simon solo album was originally intended to be a Simon & Garfunkel album to coincide with their 1983 reunion tour.  There are bootlegs out there of Train in the Distance and Song About the Moon with Garfunkel studio vocals.  Think Too Much, Cars Are Cars, and The Late Great Johnny Ace were also included in their setlists on the tour.  But in the end, it just didn't work out.  Simon decided to wipe Garfunkel's vocals from the album.  Honestly, I can see why it didn't work but I still would love to hear what it would have sounded like.  Think Too Much in particular, the fast version, sounds like it could have made a great Simon & Garfunkel song.  You can read more about it here.
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ithink-too-muchi-sg-album-wasnt-0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:16:44 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »

I thought I'd post here that art Garfunkel has a new book out. I heard this interview with him and thought I'd post the link:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/art-gafunkel/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »

Simon's definitely better singer than Garfunkel.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Smiley Chaps & Chapettes! With Happy Christmas...Soon!

At Christmas dinner, turkey will roll around & fly away. Host & guests will try to catch it to eat it but turkey will attack people instead. & get the whole house. What to do to prevent it - DON'T BUY TURKEY. (Christmas Wisdom No. 0)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

Simon's definitely better singer than Garfunkel.
I think Paul himself might differ with you on that assertion.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 04:30:14 AM »

Great to see this topic revived after three and a half years!

Last night I watched a film version of a play called My Old Lady and all of a sudden amidst all the original music they played Paul Simon's "Peace Like A River". This may just be my favourite track of his: those descending backing vocals and Paul's sudden leap into wordless falsetto----fantastic! And it betrays his interest in "the sound of a cappella groups, yeah". I could listen to this all day. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmPfEMI16g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old_Lady_(film)

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »

I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to figure out how to play Peace Like A River on my guitar.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Perhaps I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2017, 04:03:26 AM »

I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to figure out how to play Peace Like A River on my guitar.

Yes, it sounds quite virtuosic! Shows what a fine musician Mr Simon is.

"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »

I think Paul himself might differ with you on that assertion.
Interesting - didn't Paul say he regretted to not sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water"?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Smiley Chaps & Chapettes! With Happy Christmas...Soon!

At Christmas dinner, turkey will roll around & fly away. Host & guests will try to catch it to eat it but turkey will attack people instead. & get the whole house. What to do to prevent it - DON'T BUY TURKEY. (Christmas Wisdom No. 0)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx