gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 08:17:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Sessions wins a grammy!!!  (Read 26116 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »

I'm not surprised it won. Of course it won. It's SMiLE.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »

Such great news to wake up to! Congratulations Brian, VDP, Beach Boys, Mark Linett & Alan Boyd, Wrecking Crew and all involved. I'm sure getting this type of mainstream approval for Smile must mean so much to Brian.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »

Amazing news indeed! :D
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »

I'm so pleased that Brian is alive to get this award. Grin But at the same time I wish Carl and Dennis were here to see it, they would be so proud of their brother. 

I'm happy to see ALAN alive to get this award.  He very nearly gave his life to give us SMiLE.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »

Number of Grammy's Brian has: 2

Number of Grammy's Mike has: 0
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 04:27:07 AM »

Congratulations to Brian, Mark, Alan, Dennis and everyone who was involved in the album's making, including The Beach Boys and the Wrecking Crew musicians! This is fantastic news.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:52:02 AM by All Alone » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »

Since this is a Grammy for a Beach Boys album, I suppose Mike has 1 now?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:11 AM »

Since this is a Grammy for a Beach Boys album, I suppose Mike has 1 now?

No, the Grammy was awarded to the producers of the box set, not to the band.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »

Anyway, it's great to see that the Smile story just keeps getting a happier ending!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »

Love this comment on Facebook.

Looks like SeaWorld is oblivious as to who is actually in the Beach Boys band they booked.  Grin

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Thrilling news that brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat...just ten years ago we'd have all thought a moment like this one could never, ever happen...

Congratulations to all involved, and particular kudos to Alan for such on-stage eloquence. That ain't easy to do, folks! Thanks, too, for being "the man" in bringing us so many treasures from the BB archive.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

I hope they manage a one-two with the Made In California set due later this year.

“We live in divisive times.”
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »

Nice to see Linnett got dressed up for the occasion.

He was working the event — he does sound on the Grammys — so he had to hop out of a truck to get a photo taken.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »

I hope they manage a one-two with the Made In California set due later this year.

That would be fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »

Looks like SeaWorld is oblivious as to who is actually in the Beach Boys band they booked.  Grin

LOL to the nth degree. I took a screenshot of this same comment with my iPhone!

The fact that a band by the same name is playing Sea World alongside Shamu the very SAME WEEK that The BB's SMiLE wins a Grammy for achieving the highest levels of art is just plain baffling. Yes, I know there are people who can rationalize both sides of the band, but that dichotomy is just plain odd.

But back to the high fives all around for SMiLE finally getting its due!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »

Even though Smile is incredible and possibly the greatest album ever made, a night of bands, brew and BBQ at seaworld does sound fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »

Looks like SeaWorld is oblivious as to who is actually in the Beach Boys band they booked.  Grin

LOL to the nth degree. I took a screenshot of this same comment with my iPhone!

The fact that a band by the same name is playing Sea World alongside Shamu the very SAME WEEK that The BB's SMiLE wins a Grammy for achieving the highest levels of art is just plain baffling. Yes, I know there are people who can rationalize both sides of the band, but that dichotomy is just plain odd.

But back to the high fives all around for SMiLE finally getting its due!!!
Looking "panoramically" at things, is the crux of diplomacy. And looking at both sides of the coin, or in 3D, impartially, over such a long time, is the norm, and not the exception.  People and band members have come and gone, during the existence of this musical phenomenon.  What is the point of getting into a faction, when the music is the unifying force here?  I don't get it.  And, while it is such an emotional event to win this very long overdue Grammy recognition, those long time fans, have been "in it" to "win it" since the release of the "teaser" version of SMiLE in 1967. (Smiley Smile)

Most of us are on the same page, and many of us never saw Brian in person, for nearly 40 years.  And, we never lost faith, and just looked to the "touring band" as those who were his messengers, (as Dennis said) on the recordings, and touring at the same time, and, just to use Carl as an example, facing jail time, for asserting a position against the war.  

And while it could and does bring a tear, I'd rather jump up and down with glee, that finally, this vindication has come.  And it seems that Bruce Johnston, and a Grammy winner in his own right, lobbied for the Historical Album category.  That category, coupled with the Music Teacher category is showing a more open-minded industry standard.  He tours with half of the "dichotomy."

Last night's win for the Historic Album was a victory for all, especially those Beach Boys vocalists, including Carl and Dennis, as it has been a combination of composition and the vocal blend that has made them stand out.  Brian knew just how to use each voice to make it shine in the inimitable family-based blend.

To those fans who bought the old Smiley Smile LP and took crap from your friends, last night was your victory, too!  And those FM radio stations who, went out on an open-minded limb and played Pet Sounds and Smiley, Surfs Up and Holland, high five to you, too!  It was a long journey for all.  "A long and winding road."  - To quote another band.

Brian looked like a handsome diplomat in his black blazer.  It is too bad that it was not included in the prime time segment, because it merited "prime time" attention, since many of these young performers took their inspiration from the vocal model of The Beach Boys, in general, and the Brian compositional model, in particular.  

Brian might even be an inspiration for the Music Teacher Grammy, although likely targeted for the academic arena, because his "students" have been his colleagues, protégés, and now are innumerable young musicians in Brian's global classroom.   Wink
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:31:33 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »

Good thing the album that contained "Winchester Cathedral" wasn't reissued in an expanded, reamastered form.  Wink
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

I hope Brian's ok though he did sound a little bit sick. Sad
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Well done to ALL involved in the sessions - now and then. A fully deserved Grammy.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

I'm so pleased that Brian is alive to get this award. Grin But at the same time I wish Carl and Dennis were here to see it, they would be so proud of their brother. 

I'm happy to see ALAN alive to get this award.  He very nearly gave his life to give us SMiLE.

Yes that's true, well done to Alan he really deserves it. Grin
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »

Good thing the album that contained "Winchester Cathedral" wasn't reissued in an expanded, reamastered form.  Wink
LOL   LOL  LOL

Shhhhhhhh - don't give anyone ideas!

The travesty of that year!
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »

Wow!  Shocked

This is amazing news!!! They definitely deserve it!  w00t!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »

I feel so proud, even though I had to nothing to with it, except to buy it and listen. Congrats to Brian and Van Dyke for writing it. To The Beach Boys for singing their hearts out on it. To Alan, Mark and Dennis for the super job of putting it all together. The guys are finally getting some hard-earned recognition over the past year or two.

how 'bout wrecking crew? otherwise, super news!!!!!!!!! Cool Guy Cool Guy King

"the incredible session musicians" were mentioned. Maybe he heard about the Carol vs. Hal argument and didnt want to say "wrecking crew"?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »

But, you know, according to some people on here, you'd have to be LIVING UNDER A ROCK NOT TO KNOW IT'S NOT THE REUNION BAND.

This is what I mean, of course we know. The rest of America? They bought tickets to what they thought was a reunion tour.... If the promoters can't even tell the difference, what makes us think that the average American who doesn't really care about the BB like we do would be able to?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:59:48 PM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx