gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Journals Vol 1 & 2  (Read 9840 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »

As much as I love it, the internet has sucked all the fun out of everything.

You said it. Have you ever let out a shriek of excitement when finding something to download? (Besides Christina Hendricks' leaked cellphone photos, of course)

Yes...yes I have. I have never purchased a bootleg, so every unreleased thing I have ever heard was either downloaded or given to me by a friend. And personally, I'm glad, as whomever leaked/stole the recordings in the first place doesn't profit. Of course, I have reason to be biased in this case.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »

The folks who went out of their way to find those recordings, and present them in a nice manner, ala the triple vinyl Smile boot which included a poster, deserved to make a profit.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »

And of course all the vinyl boots in the 80's. Compiled a lot of stuff that was circulating on Maxell and TDK cassettes back in the late 70's and early 80's amongst collectors....

But not all - there's things I've heard on collector's tapes that have never, ever been booted.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

Oh yeah, of course! Stuff like "Here Come De Honey Man", which was included on early Smile tapes.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »

The folks who went out of their way to find those recordings, and present them in a nice manner, ala the triple vinyl Smile boot which included a poster, deserved to make a profit.

Since in a lot of cases those recordings were stolen as opposed to leaked, well, I have a serious issue with that. It's not the recordings being available that I have an issue with, but rather how they got that way. I'm of the belief though that if there's a demand for product, the artist should make it available. If it was me, I would. Say I'd had ten years in, and there were people wanting to hear my unreleased early stuff. Well, put it up on the website, cheap download (say 25-50 cents). Voila...everyone wins. Hell, even *I* can afford to spend a quarter!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »

One of the best was "Get The Boot" of course, though highly controversial if I remember rightly. Wasn't it sourced from material stolen from Alan Boyd, by someone who posts on here. Am I correct on this? I know there was some controversy surrounding that one.

There's some great stuff on there I've never heard anywhere else. Hope some of that sees the light of day on the new box. I'll happily pay for official releases.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:48:29 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

Yeah, that was it Stephen. Good stuff on that one, too.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

Oh yeah, of course! Stuff like "Here Come De Honey Man", which was included on early Smile tapes.  Cheesy

... and the first Smile vinyl boot in 1983.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »

Bump!

What do you suppose these 3 gold tins (BB Journals 1 and 2 and the BW sessions) are worth today?  Much of the material has seen legit release or release on other boots (some in improved sound quality).  Anyone who purchased these at the time mind saying how much they sold for?  I have an opportunity to obtain all three through purchase or a trade (I'm trying to swing a trade).  But I am trying to decide the worth of it.  I am a big collector and it is a pretty impressive looking beast of a collection with over 20 discs and impressive packaging but I have so much of the material elsewhere.  I don't believe this question is in conflict with board rules.  If it is please feel free to delete it, mods.  To all the bootleg police out there, I am a guy who has purchased every legit BB / BW release faithfully and am a good customer and a buyer (not a seller).  :-)  Big thanks in advance for any helpful info!  I need a BB / BW fix before No Pier Pressure is released (already preordered the deluxe and vinyl).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »

Bump!

What do you suppose these 3 gold tins (BB Journals 1 and 2 and the BW sessions) are worth today?  Much of the material has seen legit release or release on other boots (some in improved sound quality).  Anyone who purchased these at the time mind saying how much they sold for?  I have an opportunity to obtain all three through purchase or a trade (I'm trying to swing a trade).  But I am trying to decide the worth of it.  I am a big collector and it is a pretty impressive looking beast of a collection with over 20 discs and impressive packaging but I have so much of the material elsewhere.  I don't believe this question is in conflict with board rules.  If it is please feel free to delete it, mods.  To all the bootleg police out there, I am a guy who has purchased every legit BB / BW release faithfully and am a good customer and a buyer (not a seller).  :-)  Big thanks in advance for any helpful info!  I need a BB / BW fix before No Pier Pressure is released (already preordered the deluxe and vinyl).

I don't think this is pushing the rules so to speak, but it's definitely not allowed to openly solicit, offer for sale or trade, or in other ways promote the sale or "trade" of this kind of material publicly on the board beyond talking about the music itself. There were gray areas on these things before, but it's not as gray now.

Common sense should be the rule regarding any of these issues.

Some of these "releases" have been around for decades, some used to be openly advertised in the pages of record collector magazines and papers, it's not out of bounds to discuss them or what was done with them in the 90's or whenever. Just no open solicitations or offers posted here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

Bump!

I don't think this is pushing the rules so to speak, but it's definitely not allowed to openly solicit, offer for sale or trade, or in other ways promote the sale or "trade" of this kind of material publicly on the board beyond talking about the music itself. There were gray areas on these things before, but it's not as gray now.

Common sense should be the rule regarding any of these issues.

Some of these "releases" have been around for decades, some used to be openly advertised in the pages of record collector magazines and papers, it's not out of bounds to discuss them or what was done with them in the 90's or whenever. Just no open solicitations or offers posted here.

I am pretty sure these were about $100 bucks a piece in the early 90s.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »

Circa 1990-1995 or so, those days before recordable CDR was a universal consumer thing, single "silverdisc" discs were selling for around 25 bucks each, double-disc sets were around 50. Beatles - Unsurpassed Masters, Ultra Rare Trax, sold as single discs, 25 bucks each. Vigotone Smile, Gema Smile, Time To Get Alone, etc - 2CD's sometimes with a poster and stuff, 50 bucks. Some enterprising or unscrupulous dealer types were selling cassette dubs of these things for around 10 bucks or less each, which at the time was good if you wanted Ultra Rare Trax 1-6 on three tapes for around 25, or bad if the tape speed and levels were awful and the tapes of the no-name cheap variety. Which was often the case. But in some cases, where else could they be found by the average fan?

I remember around 92-93 (?) the "Pet Sounds" multi-CD outtake set was between 80-100 or maybe even more, which seemed crazy. What also seemed crazy in retrospect was how some shops/vendors openly advertised in international magazines these things for sale. Same with videos.

20-25 years ago. Man.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx