gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681664 Posts in 27654 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 02:11:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve of Destruction  (Read 2029 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:39 AM »

What a disaster this song is with PF Sloan totally missing the point of Bob Dylan's songs and humor. I feel like the lyrics just spit out current world events worse than even the most dated Phil Ochs songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »

I think the song is great.

I don't think it's simply a Dylan pastiche either though. There was a big folk tradition that was inspiring the folk-a-rock-a-boom.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:51:23 AM by rockandroll » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »

PF Sloan was a great writer, and his heart was on his sleeve when he wrote the song. If you listen to Sloan's own version, and forget McGuire's blustery delivery, the song is a lot more likable.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »

I will check that version out, McGuire's vocal was terrible and one of my main problems with the song. He just sounds like he is spitting out the words.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »

An all right record but when it comes to protest songs of that time I much prefer Sonny's "Laugh At Me."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

Heard BM sing it last year, near here in Pasadena; he sings it sweeter, takes out the dated Selma lyrics, and he led me, a Conservative Republican who can't stands hippie Utopians, to my feet cheering the historical status and experience of his song.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

I like that hippie stuff. Its part of what initially attracted me to 60s music in the first place when I was a teeager.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

Lyrics way too on the nose. The song, by all rights, shouldn't work -- but somehow it does.

It's crude, it's blatant, it's overly earnest, but it has energy and power. We're still talking about it 48 years later.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:44:09 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »

Tower Records had a monthly magazine called "Pulse", and living several years a half-block away from a three-story Tower location, it was a great (free) source of music info, pre-internet. One great feature was a music history cartoon series on the last page.

On one entry I remember, they drew the story of PF Sloan. A key point important to this thread that I remember was the explanation of Barry's vocal style on "Eve Of Destruction".

Yes, he is literally "spitting out" the words...he didn't like the song, did not want to record it, and refused to learn or rehearse the lyrics for his lead vocal.

So they had cue cards drawn up with the lyrics, and someone cycled through the cue cards in front of Barry as he sang. Which explains why he delivered certain lines like he was about to trip over them.

Thanks to the now-defunct "Pulse" magazine for that neat bit of trivia.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »

Great info GF! That vocal does reek of cue card reading. LOL

I am surprised they released it with that vocal, should have done more takes or got somebody else to sing it.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

This is one of my favorite singles from the 60's. I just listened to it in the car during my lunch break, in fact. I like to perform it at the karaoke bar. I like the vocals. I like the song.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

Try Barry's early 70's lp "Barry McGuire and the Doctor"sometime.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx