gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #22: M.I.U. Album  (Read 40243 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »

Listening to this all the way through again seems better than I remember.

I think Brian sounds 1000% better on this album than he did on Love You.

12. Belles of Paris - Ick!
11. Peggy Sue
10. Match Point of Our Love
9. Pitter Patter
8. Kona Coast
7. She's Got Rhythm - Brian sounds great here.
6. Come Go with Me - Really nice cover.
5. Wontcha Come Out Tonight - This is always stuck in my head for some reason. Gotta love it.
4. Hey Little Tomboy - So strange. So Brian.
3. Winds of Change - Nice to hear Al sing this type of song. Love the weird little When I Grow Up (to Be a Man) ending.
2. My Diane - Dennis sure knows how to sing a love song.
1. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love - I think this is wonderful.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »

Cue soft, high pitched wind and rolling tumbleweed.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

1. My Diane
2. Pitter Patter
3. Come Go With Me
4. Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love (Though, Carl sounds like he downed a bottle of "NyQuil" before singing it.)
5. Wontcha Come Out Tonight
6. Peggy Sue
7. Winds Of Change

8. Kona Coast
9. She's Got Rhythm
10. Hey Little Tomboy
11. Matchpoint Of Our Love
12. Belles Of Paris (Probably actually a tie between 10, 11 & 12 for me...if not all of the last five. No comment.)
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

Uhhhhh...

1. My Diane
2. Match Point Of Our Love
3. She's Got Rhythm
4. Sweet Sunday
5. Pitter Patter
6. Come Go With Me
7. Winds Of Change
8. Wontcha Come Out Tonight
9. Kona Coast
10. Hey Little Tomboy
11. Peggy Sue
12. Belles Of Paris

Actually, making this list, I realized I don't dislike MIU as much as I thought I did.  Maybe it's time to pull it out for another listen...
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:07:35 PM »

Is it me or does this album - even the "godd" songs just feel like junk cobbled together and so not up to their usual standards? This period, 15BO, MIU, KTSA, 85 is just a rough period for them....
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »

Is it me or does this album - even the "godd" songs just feel like junk cobbled together and so not up to their usual standards? This period, 15BO, MIU, KTSA, 85 is just a rough period for them....

No, it's definitely just you. This is widely considered the band's classic period and the apex of their recording career. Get off this forum and don't come back!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

Certainly not a great work of art, but in all honesty not an unpleasant listen either. I don't dislike it.

1. She's Got Rhythm - Too bad that Brian's falsetto sounds so bad, because in it's basics this is a very good rock 'n' roll song.
2. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love - Nice. Carl sounds so cool and laid back. From 2:00 on it gets really beautiful with the strings and group vocals.
3. Winds of Change - Very cheesy, but I happen to like cheese. I'm sure this song would've gotten a lot more credit if Brian would've written it.
4. Kona Coast - Although some of them may be recycled, this song has some good hooks. Not bad at all.
5. Matchpoint of Our Love - This somehow reminds me of 'Busy Doin' Nothin''. Sure it's not as great, but the mood is pretty much the same.
6. Come Go With Me - Another oldies cover that nobody really needs, but it does sound cool enough.
7. My Diane - Not a great song, but it's hard to dislike a heartfelt Dennis Wilson vocal.
8. Wontcha Come Out Tonight - Not great, not too bad either.
9. Belles of Paris - Not a good song by any means. But because it's so relaxed and because Paris just might be the greatest city in the world, I can't hate it.
10. Peggy Sue - Falls in the same category as Rock And Roll Music: a dreadful, overproduced cover of a rock 'n' roll classic without even the slightest bit of the energy of the original version.
11. Pitter Patter - Convincing vocals, but probably one of the most boring composition the group ever recorded. Why anyone decided that this song was worth being recorded is beyond me.
12. Hey Little Tomboy - Creepy, sexist, uninspired and not sung very well. No, thanks.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

I think I would like "Match Point..." if it had less overextended tennis images. "My Diane" rules though, that's a stone jam.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »

A step down from Love You, but still enjoyable. This album is more "Brian" than it is given credit for. Re-sequence it and close the album with "Our Team" and it goes up a grade.

1. Matchpoint Of Our Love (I never understood the criticism for this; I love it)
2. Wontcha Come Out Tonight (the extended tag on Ten Years Of Harmony is preferable)
3. Pitter Patter
4. My Diane (good song despite bad lyrics and rough vocals - both lead & background)
5. She's Got Rhythm (love Brian's vocal and I don't apologize for it; also great drums)
6. Peggy Sue (Al Jardine's best lead vocal EVER - listen to it!)
7. Winds Of Change (c'mon admit it, the ending tag is emotional; Brian hits the note)
8. Belles Of Paris
9. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love (the production lets this one down; it had potential)
10. Come Go With Me (well, it rocked in concert...)
11. Hey Little Tomboy (what was wrong with Brian's voice on this one?)
12. Kona Coast (I rated it last but it still isn't terrible)

Looking at the list, my overall feeling hasn't changed much in 35 years. There isn't a classic, timeless song on here, but the songs don't scrape the bottom of the barrel either.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:29:46 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

I'c always feel the album is a bit underrated. For the most part Brian sounds a lot better. Not enough Carl, but during this time period his vocals kind of sucked, to be honest. Biggest complaint for me is the album's production is overdone, and the mix is too busy. I love the drum sound on it, but the bass is weak and some of the backups are awful.  I also hate how retro the sound is. Perhaps I don't like the album as much as I thought. I like the songs for the most part. but the production is terrible.

12. Winds of Change- the most artistic song on the album, and the one that sounds like it was intended to be a creative statement. That said...it blows furry goat chunks. The song is rather boring. Al sounds like Kermit the Frog (I keep thinking of Kermit singing about New York City and BAM...gets hit by the taxi) Al's vocals are 'pleasant' but boring, and the whole thing ends up being rather pretentious. This is in my bottom third of Beach Boys' songs.
11. She's Got Rhythm- Brian's vocal on this is putrid at parts, and I hate the backup vocals on this.
10. Peggy Sue- Competent, but enough damn covers. When Brian does it, there was still some quirkiness that made it interesting. Al? Not so much...
9. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love- Carl's voice sounds 'nice' (although he still has that Peter Cetera on 'ludes thing going on, he at least sounds awake unlike on The Night Was So Young)
8. Come Go With Me- The actual version, not the 15 BO outtake on an earlier CD release. That one's dire.
7. Belles of Paris- The strings make me want to claw my eyes out with a wine corkscrew, but I like Mike's vocal on this, along with the backup vocals.
6. Wontcha Come Out Tonight- I hate the opening so very much, but I rank it this high for Brian's vocal part.
5. Kona Coast- Thank God this didn't come out with Christmas lyrics, as the 'Melekilikimaka is Merry Christmas in Hawaii talk-a' just may be the worst lyric ever written.
4. Hey Little Tomboy- Yes...I actually like this song. I actually miss the Beavis & Butthead-style part. Tacky, yes, but rather funny.
3. Pitter Patter- I happen to love this song, although many don't. Good vocal arrangement. Probably the best production on the album.
2. Matchpoint of our Love- Love Brian's vocal on this. Everybody hates the lyrics it seems, but I don't really care about lyrics as long as the vocals are good. By this point, the damage done to Brian's voice was permanent, but it's nice to hear him to sing in his early 70s-style one last time. I actually think this should have been the single from the album.
1. My Diane- One of my favorite Beach Boy songs ever, although I prefer the unreleased 'unsweetened' version. This also sounds like it is slightly sped-up.

I agree with SJS... Our Team should've been on it. So should have California Feelin', for that matter. Drop the damn oldies covers and Winds of Change, and it's immediately better.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:16:46 PM by Gizmo » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

1.  Hey Little Tomboy
2.  My Diane
3.  She's Got Rhythm
4.  Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
5.  Kona Coast
6.  Come Go with Me
7.  Wontcha Come Out Tonight
8.  Belles of Paris
9.  Match Point of Our Love
10.Pitter Patter
11.Peggy Sue
12.Winds of Change
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

I first listened to this last November...and since it's the only BB album I regularly listen to. Of course everyone has a right to their opinion, but I think there's a lot of unnecessary criticism that gets thrown at this album. Sure, parts of it obviously suck: you can tell they half-assed some takes, but overall I find it to be a well made album. Yes, the production is dry, but a lot of work went into the vocals and instrumental tracks. This album is a part of Beach Boys history that I'd guarantee we're all glad to have (I don't think anyone would actually wish it never existed, because there are some gems on here).

1. Pitter Patter - Those harmonies are great, and that clean electric guitar during the outro flows so nicely.
2. My Diane - instant BB classic
3. She's Got Rhythm - It's like a pop tune that could easily fit on Love You.
4. Come Go With Me - the guys sound so good here! Al's voice on this album is incredible.
5. Matchpoint of our Love - that backing track really is good.
6. Hey Little Tomboy - the bridge is hypnotic......and creepy.
7. Kona Coast -
8. Belles of Paris - Mike's vocals are pretty lousy, but I love the chorus.
9. Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love
10. Wontcha Come Out Tonight - this one should be higher on the list, but as someone said above: the intro is rather lousy. Still a great song though!
11. Peggy Sue
12. Winds of Change - would've been a great closer had they put a little more work into the coda.

I put off buying this album for YEARS because I heard it was so dreadful. But I find it quite charming. I'm glad to see there are people on this board that share my opinion Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »

I would honestly be perfectly content if every studio album after Love You didn't exist.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »

I would honestly be perfectly content if every studio album after Love You didn't exist.

Shocked
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

I'd be sad, as there's tracks on every album after that I like. EVERY album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »

On the whole, M.I.U. is a pretty sorry album with tracks ranging from bad to mediocre, but it has two decent and one outstanding tracks that distinguish it from the likes of Keepin' the Summer Alive or Summer in Paradise.  They are as follows:

1.) My Diane--A fantastic song that ranks with the best of Love You.  The lyrics are purely expositional, by which I mean they are of no interest in and of themselves beyond that they clarify the source of the emotion that is beautifully projected through the melody and a terrifically hoarse lead vocal from Dennis, as well as the haunting backing vocals from Brian.  As with I'll Bet He's Nice, the emotion comes across more clearly through Dennis' hoarse voice than it would have from a cleaner sounding one.

2.) Come Go With Me--Not the most essential Beach Boys top 40 single, but it's catchy and has a good lead vocal performance from Al Jardine.
3.) She's Got Rhythm--A decent and respectable throwback type song with Brian's vocals sounding less hoarse than they had on the previous album, though it sounds underdeveloped and lacks the cathartic value that most of Love You and "My Diane" have.

The less said about the rest of the album, the better.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »

I'd be sad, as there's tracks on every album after that I like. EVERY album.

Exactly, even if 15 Big Ones is cutting it close.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »

Not they're greatest work, but I find that it's a quite enjoyable album.

1.) My Diana
2.) She's Got Rhythm
3.) Match Point of Our Love
4.) Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
5.) Pitter Patter
6.) Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
7.) Come Go With Me
8.) Hey, Little Tomboy
9.) Peggy Sue
10.) Winds Of Change
11.) Belles Of Paris
12.) Kona Coast
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »

1. My Diane
2. Matchpoint Of Our Love
3. Hey Little Tomboy
4. Wontcha Come Out Tonight
5. Pitter Patter
6. Sweet Sunday Kind Of Love
7. Winds Of Change
8. Peggy Sue
9. Belles Of Paris

10. She's Got Rhythm
11. Kona Coast
12. Come Go With Me

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »

This is a nice album. Does not deserve the abuse it gets.

1.   Wontcha Come Out Tonight
2.   Pitter Patter
3.   Kona Coast
4.   She's Got Rhythm
5.   Belles Of Paris
6.   Sweet Sunday Kind of Love
7.   My Diane
8.   Come Go With Me
9.   Peggy Sue
10.   Hey Little Tomboy
11.   Match Point Of Our Love
12.   Winds Of Change
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

Another big quality fall for the group. Still, a nice soft adult-contemporary sailboat-rock EP can be found amongst the dross:

1. My Diane
2. Wontcha Come Out Tonight
3. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
4. She's Got Rhythm

The two Jardine oldies are bland and faceless. Belles Of Paris and Kona Coast are much easier to stomach in their original Christmas form. Pitter Patter is OK, I guess, but it doesn't belong on a Beach Boys album. Faceless, again. I guess I should like Match Point Of Our Love and Hey Little Tomboy, since I am such a proponent of Love You, but I really don't. Winds Of Change is so wimpy it makes Disney Girls sound like War Pigs. Awful.
They did better next time out.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »

1. It's Trying to Say
2. Games Two Can Play
3. HELP Is on the Way
4. It's Over Now
5. Still I Dream of It
6. Life is for the Living
7. Hey Little Tomboy
8. Lines
9. Deep Purple
10. Everybody Wants to Live
11. Shortenin' Bread
12. On Broadway

... but I do like MIU in a sort of ABBA/Bee Gees kind of way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:33:15 PM by DonnyL » Logged

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »

I guess I should like Match Point Of Our Love and Hey Little Tomboy, since I am such a proponent of Love You, but I really don't.

"Match Point" is a song that puts the cart before the horse--rather than start with an experience, narrative, or emotion and use a metaphor as a means of expression, it seems like the metaphor was conceived first and some uninteresting love story was constructed for the sake of the metaphor.  It also features very neat but expressionless instrumentation and lead vocals from Brian.  Thus, I think it's fair to call "Match Point" the anti-Love You.

As for "Hey Little Tomboy": Robert Christgau praised Love You for the way that it expresses forbidden emotion (and I agree with him on this one).  "Hey Little Tomboy," on the other hand, reminds us why it might be a good thing that some emotions remain forbidden.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

Nice stuff there.
I guess, the type of gimmick/concept songwriting exhibited on Match Point goes back to things like Heads You Win Tails I Lose and Finders Keepers from the early years, songs I have never liked.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »

Hey Little Tomboy might be one of the most unintentionally creepy songs ever written.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx