gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:26:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Audiophile Recognition for SMiLE  (Read 3975 times)
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2012-records-die-page-5

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Hey - he mentions my SMiLE mix! Sweet.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »

Hey - he mentions my SMiLE mix! Sweet.

you made that? Thank you for making my smile experience far much better in the pre-TSS days. your mix was by far more interesting than purple chick. Any chance you will have another go at it given the new material/improved quality available? I am a fan!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »

Same here! It did stuff that no mix before attempted!

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

My girlfriend would shoot me if I stated mixing SMiLE again! I spent several years on that one, obsessively tweaking it and replacing parts with better-quality versions. It's a worm hole I'm better off not crawling back into. Glad you guys like it, though. I am pretty proud of it.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:37:55 AM »

Thank you! I downloaded the whole webpage, because I got mucho interested in the other music reviewed there too.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:45:01 AM »

BWPS was modular except for Good Vibrations and his band played those tracks as well as the "wrecking crew" Roll Eyes but whatever.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »

BWPS was modular except for Good Vibrations and his band played those tracks as well as the "wrecking crew" Roll Eyes but whatever.

True. I wondered about that remark also - but well, IMHO the word 'modular' has been used wrongly so often that I wonder about there being much consensus about its meaning anyway.

I mean: I saw several times that people confused 'modular' with 'modal'. And many more times I had the impression that a news hack just repeated it after having seen it elsewhere without having the slightest idea what he was talking about.

BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »

I thought BWPS wasn't modular, because the band recorded the tracks straight through start to finish. My understanding is that the term modular referred to tracking each section, a verse, chorus, tag, etc. of a single track separately, then editing them together to form songs. And I think the fact that BWPS wasn't recorded that way contributes to its different tone compared to the original (note - no value judgement intended, I love both! Just reflecting on how they were recorded).
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

I thought BWPS wasn't modular, because the band recorded the tracks straight through start to finish. My understanding is that the term modular referred to tracking each section, a verse, chorus, tag, etc. of a single track separately, then editing them together to form songs. And I think the fact that BWPS wasn't recorded that way contributes to its different tone compared to the original (note - no value judgement intended, I love both! Just reflecting on how they were recorded).

Only Good Vibrations wasn't (no idea why).  The rest was indeed recorded in sections.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »

True. I wondered about that remark also - but well, IMHO the word 'modular' has been used wrongly so often that I wonder about there being much consensus about its meaning anyway.

You have a good point there.  In the true definition, it would refer to the separate pieces that could be swapped around at will but I don't think the Stereophile writer was using the word in that context.  If he was it still doesn't make sense.  'He knew how the sections would be arranged this time' isn't much of a critique, especially considering TSS version was assembled almost identically.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »

Allow me to reveal who originated the concept of Smile being modular:

Me.  Grin

Back in the last century I did a piece in Beach Boys Stomp about said album and noted the modular aspect thereof. You may thank me now.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »

Me.  Grin

Back in the last century I did a piece in Beach Boys Stomp about said album and noted the modular aspect thereof. You may thank me now.

Aye but do YOU know what it means?Huh    Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »

Me.  Grin

He doesn't either. He was showing off. He just as well might have applied the word: ulular. Or ephemeral. Or xenophiliac. Or quasi-revisionist. Or...

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 05:36:59 AM »

So now we know who to blame for the "modular" red herring.  Wink  SMiLe was sectional or ulular as it will henceforth be known.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »

So now we know who to blame for the "modular" red herring.  Wink  SMiLe was sectional or ulular as it will henceforth be known.

LOL

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »

S' funny you mention Ulular – just watching The Wrath of Khan and she's running the comms desk.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:49 AM »

S' funny you mention Ulular – just watching The Wrath of Khan and she's running the comms desk.

Cheesy

He he. I didn't know that Ulular is a character in the movies... I derived it from 'ululation', IIRC a sort of plaintive, weeping style of chanting, I saw it first in a description of reggae singer Burning Spear's wonderful Social Living album.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:11:02 AM »

Cheesy

He he. I didn't know that Ulular is a character in the movies... I derived it from 'ululation', IIRC a sort of plaintive, weeping style of chanting, I saw it first in a description of reggae singer Burning Spear's wonderful Social Living album.

Wordplay not your strong suit, I see. Or Star Trek.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:29 AM »

Me.  Grin

He doesn't either. He was showing off. He just as well might have applied the word: ulular. Or ephemeral. Or xenophiliac. Or quasi-revisionist. Or...

"Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use" - remember the comment by an insider that what was part of "H&V" one day might be part of "Veggies" the next ?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »

Cheesy

Wordplay not your strong suit, I see. Or Star Trek.

Star Trek, no. Never was interested. Word play? Just watch these pages in the future.

*makes mental note to write more Doe variations*

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »

I didn't know that Ulular is a character in the movies... I derived it from 'ululation', IIRC a sort of plaintive, weeping style of chanting, I saw it first in a description of reggae singer Burning Spear's wonderful Social Living album.

HG Wells used in in The War Of the Worlds in 1898.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »

I didn't know that Ulular is a character in the movies... I derived it from 'ululation', IIRC a sort of plaintive, weeping style of chanting, I saw it first in a description of reggae singer Burning Spear's wonderful Social Living album.

HG Wells used in in The War Of the Worlds in 1898.

Shocked didn't know that. Well, it's not a common word, is it? Was it thought up by Wells then?

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

So, where's that suicide emoticon again?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »

I derived it from 'ululation', IIRC a sort of plaintive, weeping style of chanting.

Not quite - the dictionary definition of ululation is "the act of wailing or hooting". Not at all, actually.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx