gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 12:02:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey is the hardest song to sing in the world.  (Read 8247 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »

Ya, I've tried billion pluss times trying to sing it exactly at the same key Carl did on the original, i made my backing track and backing vocals without too much hassle and all and that lead is freaking impossible. Has anyone here dared try it exactly like he did? My vocal chords break down and die like with no other song. and holy sh*t that last 'sweet' in the bridge section. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD HOW CAN MORTAL MAN REACH THAT?
respect for Carl vocal abilities went up considerably, despite it already being at God/JESUSBUDHHA lvl
Rant over. Thud

ps. by singing it, I mean like in a real groovy soulful way, not just hitting the notes vocally.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:10:15 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

I actually love singing this song, I actually do really well with "yelling songs" I have a few on my next album!

gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

I'll add Darlin' to the list, too.  I never even attempt to sing that or Wild Honey, they're ridiculous.  Nobody will ever be able to do them as well as Carl.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »

even Carl couldn't top himself later.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

Too be honest, I think the song was a little bit too hard to sing for Carl as well. You can clearly hear that he struggles to reach the high notes. And even though he makes it, that does make it a somewhat uncomfortable listen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

It is hard to sing. I tried it when my band covered "Wild honey" for the project of this forum. Carl did a great job but part of why it sounds so great (apart from his very strong singing) is that he was still very young and his voice high pitched. His delivery at the mid 70s Madison Square Garden shows wasn't as good imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »

hey would you mind uploading your backing track somewhere if it's cool? :3

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »

I have a hard time even singing along to it. The whole album is full of Carl straining his voice but that's what makes it so awesome.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:15:56 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »

don't kid.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:16:11 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »

I have a hard time even singing along to it. The whole album is full of Carl straining his voice but that's what makes it so awesome.

Same here. Doesn't stop me singing along though if i'm on my own.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »

Agree with thread title and that's probably why Carl and Blondie both sounded like crap singing it. It's a cool little rocker, but the lead vocals on the studio and live versions I've heard are horrendous.  Easily Carl's worst vocal. Strained, nasally yelling. 

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »

He did nail the live versions of those 1967 concerts, as far as I recall. Maybe not as great as the studio cut, but definitely worth listening to.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »

I'm sure Carl loved recording that song, getting to rock out on such a funky song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »

hey would you mind uploading your backing track somewhere if it's cool? :3

I don't have the backing track at hand. But you can listen to the finished version on our old myspace site:

http://www.myspace.com/orangewhipband

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »

Blondie's version is unbearable to listen to in my opinion.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »

I wonder why Carl didn't sing it in those days. To spare his voice maybe? Wink

The London 1972 version is a bit shabby, but I heard another version which was pretty good.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

It's easy for me but then I am a woman! I disagree with the comments that WH is Carl's worst vocal and that it's strained. I love it for the fact that you can tell he's singing his heart out! The parts that might sound strained to others just sound full of emotion for me. Carl's voice at this time was amazing, full of soul. The breaking of his voice at the end doesn't sound poor, it just adds magic to the song for me.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »

It's easy for me but then I am a woman! I disagree with the comments that WH is Carl's worst vocal and that it's strained. I love it for the fact that you can tell he's singing his heart out! The parts that might sound strained to others just sound full of emotion for me. Carl's voice at this time was amazing, full of soul. The breaking of his voice at the end doesn't sound poor, it just adds magic to the song for me.

You're right, CTV, for disagreeing with the post that called WH "Carl's worst vocal."  Carl Wilson did a great job on that record, and I say 'so what' if he had to strain somewhat to reach the highest notes.  There might be one (guy) in 1,000 who could pull off that song, but Carl did it and sounded great.  Among his "rocking" leads, it's one of my favorites.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:18 PM »

I've worked with musicians that wanna put all the songs in different keys, but I have a bit of a hangup about that, being strictly an ear musician, I have to do them in the original keys. Wild Honey is, as ML would say, a muthaf***er to sing in the original key. Darlin' is challenging, but on a good day i can do it decently.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

Could this have been why Wild Honey wasn't included on the 50th Reunion Tour?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »

Because it would have required a mad bastard like Carl Wilson, 1967, coke in his veins, or Blondie Chaplin, 1972 coke in his veins to sing? I think it's too soulful for the current group.

Charitably, Darian could have done. He lacks those white hot high notes now, I think, but he sings a fine Darlin'.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

You know what? I don't like it either. It's too 'screechy' and IMHO is his worst vocal that I've heard.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »

I think Wouldn't It Be Nice is the hardest song to sing in the world.

Agree, that's a tough one!

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx