gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:00:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zoom 4h (recording device)  (Read 1326 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »

Ok, so I've got some money and want to invest in some recording equipment.  Someone recently recommended this device.  Could someone here comment on it?  There are some specific things I'd like to know:

1. Can I plug in an external mic?  Why?  Because I want  to record guitar and vocals at the same time and I want a mic for each.
2. Can I plug this device into my computer and record directly into audacity, garage band etc...otherwise I have to record a track, load into audacity, record another track, load it, etc.
3. Can I plug my guitar straight into it, or it doesn't work that way?
4. It's just got one track, right?
5. What is the quality like?  Recording I heard sounded really good, but what do I know?

Any other info appreciated.

Sorry to have disappeared for so long, by the way.  I keep reading and listening and comment when I can.  Things been a bit rough lately.

mypetsounds

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »

Hey, long time no see  Grin

You mean this, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H4_Handy_Recorder

It seems to do everything you ask - it has separate guitar and microphone inputs, can record two tracks at a time, comes with more powerful software than Audacity, can be used as an external soundcard that you can record on your computer. Of course, the only thing I don't know is how it sounds.

Can't listen at work, but see if this dude answers your question - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLy_BBOQEQ

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »

Ha, yes, that's it, h4, not 4h.  Thanks hypehat, I'm watching the video now and it is telling me pretty much everything I wanted to know.  I've heard a nice recording from one of these, think I might buy it in the next few days.

If anyone else has experience with this thing, please comment below.

mps

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

I used an H4 once in college to record a live jazz band for a field recording class...came out pretty good. I was just glad I didn't drop or damage it...would have put me in the hole for $400 that I just didn't have at the time (and now would still not shell out at once for a small device unless I won the lottery). The H2 costs half as much, but doesn't have the built in coincident mic pair. EDIT: Just remembered, the H4 also has XLR jacks, the H2 only has a 1/8'' jacks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:57:11 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx