gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:27:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #21: Love You  (Read 75789 times)
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

1. The Night Was So Young
2. I'll Bet He's Nice
3. Good Time
4. Airplane
5. Let Us Go On This Way
6. Honkin' Down the Highway
7. I Wanna Pick You Up
8. Love is a Woman
9. Johnny Carson
10. Roller Skating Child
11. Mona
12. Solar System
13. Ding Dang
14. Let's Put Our Hearts Together
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:57:36 PM by clinikillz » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »

Where do you get that info on Solar System influencing Macca's Let Me Roll It when the former was released 3 years after? Band On The Run sessions were in 1973-74 IIRC and Love You is 1977.

Right question & correction, Ck. Doing the vice versa, i.e. Solar System is influenced by Let Me Roll It, is even cooler! Brian & Paul indeed were friends & listened to each other's music even in the 70s.

I'm not at all sure that's the case -- I don't think I've ever heard McCartney ever mention anything post-Pet Sounds.
I also don't hear any more than the very, very vaguest similarities between the two songs -- really only the line "Mercury's close to the sun", and that just because it's going between a major chord and the minor chord a tone up, which is about the most cliched change in the world. The two pieces are vastly different -- Let Me Roll It is a three-chord rocker in (mostly) 6/8, while Solar System has something ridiculous like four key changes in it and is in 3/4.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

Where do you get that info on Solar System influencing Macca's Let Me Roll It when the former was released 3 years after? Band On The Run sessions were in 1973-74 IIRC and Love You is 1977.

Right question & correction, Ck. Doing the vice versa, i.e. Solar System is influenced by Let Me Roll It, is even cooler! Brian & Paul indeed were friends & listened to each other's music even in the 70s.

I'm not at all sure that's the case -- I don't think I've ever heard McCartney ever mention anything post-Pet Sounds.
I also don't hear any more than the very, very vaguest similarities between the two songs -- really only the line "Mercury's close to the sun", and that just because it's going between a major chord and the minor chord a tone up, which is about the most cliched change in the world. The two pieces are vastly different -- Let Me Roll It is a three-chord rocker in (mostly) 6/8, while Solar System has something ridiculous like four key changes in it and is in 3/4.

Yes. The songs are nothing alike.

That being said, I have heard Paul mention "Vegetables," in regards to his alleged involvement. And I would also find it hard to believe that he wasn't listening to albums like Wild Honey and Friends. They do seem to have some kind of an influence on his early solo work, as David Leaf notes in either the SS/WH or F/2020 liners.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »

First time I listened to this album, I couldn't stop cracking up. I can't tell whether it's supposed to be serious music, but just a bit goofy, or whether it's supposed to be some kind of satire.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:52 AM »

I can't stop cracking up every time I hear it. It is the true SMILE.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »

Fantastic
1. The Night Was so Young
2. I'll Bet He's Nice

Just fine
3. Honkin' Down the Highway
4. Ding Dang
5. Let us Go on This Way

Passable
6. Airplane
7. Let's Put our Hearts Together

Ugh!
the Rest

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

The Good

1/ Good Time - Again a Sunflower reject is the best thing on here. But how out of place is the production/vocals with the rest of the record?
2/ I Bet He's Nice - Dennis's new husky voice suits this song fine.
3/ Let Us Go On This Way - This and the next song is almost The Beach Boys do punk.
4/ Roller Skating Child.
5/ Honking Down The Highway - Great sing a long chorus.
6/ The Night Was So Young - The other really good ballad on the album.
7/ Ding Dang - If only they'd put on the full "Rollin' Up To Heaven" version!!
8/ Airplane - Love the call and responce coda with Brian and Carl.

The Average

9/ Johnny Carson - A fairly bad song saved by the fact that it's great to do a sleazy Mike Love type dance to.
10/ Mona - After the first 15 seconds you've basically heard the whole song.

The very, very, very Bad!!

11/ I Wanna Pick You Up - Was Dennis drunk when he sang this? Was Brian high when he wrote it?
12/ Let's Put Our Hearts Together - Fact; in the 6 years or so I've owned Love You, I've never managed to reach the end of this song.
13/ Love Is A Woman- May have stood a chance, but Brian's staggeringly bad vocals kill it stone dead.
14/ Solar System - I stand by my earlier post - nothing on SIP is as awful as this song.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:16:10 PM by The Girl Who Kicked Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Some of the songs are so bad, they're good!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »

Along with Smiley Smile, it's the closest you'll get to pure Brian Wilson. If you can't get past the sound, then forget the sound, marvel at the arrangements, the "in the moment" spontaneity. This album is so easily up there with his best work, impossible to rank the tracks, great from start to finish.

As respectful I am of others opinions, I just don't get how people can slate this album, then rave about "That's Why God Made The Autotune",  Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »

I both love this album to death and feel it's overrated. I think there were better songs left in the can off of Adult Child/New Album.

By the way...Mike's Beard...you listed I bet He's Nice  twice, above!

14. Good Time- I LOVE this song, but it does not fit at all vocally (although lyrically it kind of does) on this album. It would've fit better on 15 BO, personally. This ranking is because of it being out of place, NOT the quality of the song.

13. Love is a Woman- This is actually the worst song on the album by far. I hate hate hate the 50s vibe of the song, and I cannot take it seriously after hearing it butchered on SNL by Brian (the 'Treat Her-er-er-er' part where Brian's voice is warbling like he's singing in a fan )

12. Mona-   Halfassed composition (unlike the previous song which was all ass)

11. The Night was So Young- Brilliant song, but I despise Carl's voice on this. He sounds like either the tape is fixing to break, or someone gave Droopy Dog some Somas and asked him to sing.

I like pretty much everything after this, so it's all good, and the rankings change for me depending on my mood

10. Ding Dang-  Was this all there was of the recording? A 1973 recording, but this time an older track actually fits. Part of me wishes the 1974 track 'Rollin Up To Heaven' was on here instead, though, but we know that wasn't gonna happen!

9. Honkin' Down the Highway

8 I bet he's nice

7 Airplane

6 Johnny Carson

5 Let's Put Our Hearts together

4 I Wanna Pick You Up

3 Roller Skatin' Child

2 Let's Go on this Way

1. Solar System- Yes,I love this song that much. First of all, as a kid I was obsessed with space (I mean, my very first songs I wrote, at the age of 11, were about space), and I love the goofy lyrics...so dumb it's brilliant.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »

I can't stop cracking up every time I hear it. It is the true SMILE.
Could say the same about Smiley Smile too, both are understood better once the listener gets the humor aspects.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »

I don't understand how someone can hate "Ding Dang" -- there's more song in that 59 seconds than on most other group's whole albums! LOL
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »

I don't understand how someone can hate "Ding Dang" -- there's more song in that 59 seconds than on most other group's whole albums! LOL

I love the story where Roger Mcguinn, after writing this with Brian left Brian playing it and went off to bed. In the morning, he came downstairs and Brian was still playing it.
Paulos
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »

Crazy album, the thing that's most crazy for me is that the record label were willing to put it out!

1. Johnny Carson
2. Solar System
3. I Bet He's Nice
4. The Night Was So Young
5. Let Us Go On This Way
6. Good Time
7. Ding Dang
8. Roller Skatin' Child
9. Honkin' Down The Highway
10. Airplace
11. Love Is A Woman
12. Mona
13. I Wanna Pick You Up
14. Let's Put Our Hearts Together

Side-note, absolutely hate the album cover, they should have got their money back off Dean for that abomination.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »

1. Honkin' Down the Highway - This is such a strange song, strange in a really good way! Gotta love Als "hoo" after singing "Prayin' prayin' that she'll hold me tight"!
2. The Night Was So Young - Heavy emotional song.
3. I'll Bet He's Nice - This one is really sad to me.
4. Roller Skating Child - It's kind of slow punk!    
5. I Wanna Pick You Up - A really wierd vibe on this track.  
6. Let Us Go On This Way - Desperation is the feeling I get from this song, "When I leave you I'm so depressed, 'Cause you're my only happiness". Great start to the album!
7. Mona
8. Johnny Carson - "The network makes him break his back" LOL
9. Love is a Woman
10. Solar System
11. Ding Dang
12. Let's Put Our Hearts Together
13. Good Time
14. Airplane

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

By the way...Mike's Beard...you listed I bet He's Nice  twice, above!

Thanks Billy. Let that be a lesson to us all; never try to write an appraisal of a BBs album whilst eating your dinner!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »

The funny thing is, I almost typed 'you listed I Bet He's Nice I Bet He's twice' because of the rhyme scheme, and now I have that f*cker stuck in my damn head!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »

I adore this album , and its my second favorite by the band behind Sunflower.

Really can't rank the tracks ( Yep Good Time shouldn't have been on there) too damn difficult , love the texture/crude production it just all fits.

The use of synths is so ahead of its time in pop (especially the moog bass) the album really is the bastard father of Dare by The Human League ( to quote a good friend of mine  LOL)  , basic drums , no bass guitar in sight - The whole project is such a big gamble and  just so inventive for it.

AND the scribble on the run out grove of the vinyl from Marilyn is just so cool (surprised no one else has mentioned it) 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

I love having Good Time on there precisely because it doesn't fit. Just adds to the strangeness. After the battering run of Roller Skating Child, Mona, Johnny Carson, and Honkin', to have that smooth Sunflower sound coming in right then, it is insanity.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »

I wish instead of GT on there, we would've have something like 'Everybody Wants to Live' or 'Lines'.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »

Love the dirty bass synths on this album, especially in LUGOTW.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »

LOL

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »

I love the story where Roger Mcguinn, after writing this with Brian left Brian playing it and went off to bed. In the morning, he came downstairs and Brian was still playing it.
That's the version they should have released on the album since the other one is too short..
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

I love having Good Time on there precisely because it doesn't fit. Just adds to the strangeness. After the battering run of Roller Skating Child, Mona, Johnny Carson, and Honkin', to have that smooth Sunflower sound coming in right then, it is insanity.

Though Brian's vocal performance is obviously a major contrast with his voice on the rest of the album, "Good Time" fits quite well thematically with its mixture of whimsy and eroticism, rather like "Roller Skating Child," "Honking Down the Highway," and (somewhat more ambiguously) "I Wanna Pick You Up."
rogerlancelot
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »

There is only one chord in it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx