gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #20: 15 Big Ones  (Read 42457 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

I like "its ok" for being the ultimate sleazy 1970s BBs song.

It rules.
And the original of Palisades Park rules too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »

"It's OK" is a feel good song. I love it. You have Mike in all his glory (albeit a little wordy), you have Marilyn all over the song, she's helping out Brian on the high part, you have hand claps, harmonies, and Dennis on the tag. What more do you want. Whenever I hear the song, either on 15 Big Ones or a comp, it brings a smile to my face.

One thing about "It's OK" always perplexed me. On the NBC-TV Special in 1976, when the Beach Boys performed the song, and a great version it was, even with the fake shots of Brian participating on stage, they alternate the lines. They sing, I believe, from memory, "Gotta get with it, gotta go through it, gotta go to it..." or something like that. The song was recorded before that concert wasn't it? I wonder why they flip-flopped the lines? Just one of those little things...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:51 AM »

It rules.
And the original of Palisades Park rules too.
I think its cool that Brian made the track with fellow wall of sound acolyte Roy Wood and his band Wizard. The vibe in my opinion is Brian and Mike letting loose after the Surf's up- Holland years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:02 AM »

One thing about "It's OK" always perplexed me. On the NBC-TV Special in 1976, when the Beach Boys performed the song, and a great version it was, even with the fake shots of Brian participating on stage, they alternate the lines. They sing, I believe, from memory, "Gotta get with it, gotta go through it, gotta go to it..." or something like that. The song was recorded before that concert wasn't it? I wonder why they flip-flopped the lines? Just one of those little things...

Kind of like how on "Isn't It Time" this past tour, it seems Al could never decide whether it's "everything we used to do," "everything we want to do," or "everything we'd like to do." 

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »

Kind of like how on "Isn't It Time" this past tour, it seems Al could never decide whether it's "everything we used to do," "everything we want to do," or "everything we'd like to do." 

Well, we all know what a modest guy Al is, how he likes to keep it clean--didn't feel comfortable syncopating in front of all those people...I think he didn't want to refer back to the "act of love" as an, er, integral part of the romance being referenced in "IIT."  Evil
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »

1. That Same Song - Brian really nails that lead vocal!  
2. Chapel of Love - It's Brian going crazy. It's deadpan vocals by Mike and Al. Everything is great about this!
3. TM Song - I love that groovy organ. "1,2,3,4" indeed Brian.
4. It's O.K. - Man, that Moog! I missed Dennis vocals on this song when they played it live on the reunion tour.
5. Had to Phone Ya
6. In the Still of the Night - Such a solid track! There is only one Brian Wilson.
7. Back Home - Carl and Brian plays everything except the drums on this one. That's Dennis job, when I come to think of it - this is The Wilson Brothers anthem of the mid 70s!
8. Just Once in My Life - Piano, Organ and Moog: Brian Wilson. Bam!
9. Rock and Roll Music - Brian on Organ/Piano, Moog Bass and Arp. Supercool.
10. Talk to Me - A soothing sleepwalker.
11. A Casual Look - Again, superb background vocals.  
12. Susie Cincinatti
13. Blueberry Hill - Smoooth. Apparently Bruce Johnston on piano. And no Carl Wilson on this track!
14. Palisades Park - Passive aggressive vocals by Carl.
15. Everyone's in Love with You

The Beach Boys most underrated album. Together with Surf's Up and Love You, It's their best output in the 70s!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

1. For Once in My Life    Perhaps their best cover
2. It's OK
3. Susie Cincinnati
4. Had to phone Ya   the tag brings it down
5. In the Still of the Night     David Coverdale rocks out
6. Palisades Park
7. Everyone's in Love With You
8. Rock n' Roll Music
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

Obviously, not a patch on what came before, as the albums from Wild Honey through Holland  happen to be my favorite albums by anyone, anywhere. Much of the songs are covers of material that date from a time period I despise. So..why do I love this album as much as I do?

15. Talk To Me- I hate the 'Tallahassie Lassie' part of the song. Not so instrumentally, but Carl's vocals. I'm not familiar with the original song, but probably wouldn't be to my taste. As for the rest of the song, it's okay if rather boring. Not my style at all.

14. A Casual Look- Again, not my style of music. Not my favorite Mike vocal either.

From here, it's all good

13. TM Song- I actually like this, as I find the opening funny, and the only thing that bugs me about the arrangement is that damn sax.

12. Blueberry Hill- A bit too busy, but I really like the part where it's just vocals and bass. I wish the whole song was like that.

11. In the Still of the night- Yet another song from that hideous decade, yet I like this. Maybe it's the Dennis vocal, or Brian's falsetto, or the fact that I like the Boyz II Men version, but this actually works for me. The other back-ups kind of hurt it for me.

10. Everyone's in Love with you- quite like this, although it is a bit too sappy

9. Palisades Park- I've always been partial to this song, actually, and this is a good version. Love the circus organ solo.

8. Susie Cincinnati- I've never liked them using older songs for 1976-and beyond albums, but this strangely fits

7 Rock & Roll Music- I like this more than most people, but the single version is what really gets me going. Love the synth sound, and to me this kills the Beatles' version. Of course, I am a bit biased...

6. Back Home- This is gonna sound strange, but this version is so superior to the unreleased versions it's sickening. Brian's voice adds to the song, actually.

5. Chapel of Love- Another 'oldie' that I actually like. Rough or not, I like Brian's voice on this as it has character...but the track is what spices my pumpkin but good. Add a heavy kick drum to the synths and hi-hats, anCd Brian just invented the sound of the 80s.

4. Had to Phone Ya- I like both this and the Spring version, but again it's the track that just slays me. There's an instrumental version out there that is killer...

3. It's Ok- Catchy and fun, although I wonder how it would have sounded if Brian did finish this in 1974. Nevertheless, I quite dig it.

2. That Same Song- Partially elevated because of the 'gospel' version, but  on its own its still good. I wish Brian had done more along this style. Vocals similar to his backups on 'He Come Down' that start at the 1:40 mark (where's he's doubling Blondie on the 'yes I believe' part...'Oops' the track and you can hear him very clearly)

1. Just Once in my Life- Phenomenal. By far the best production on the album...if the whole thing had sounded like this, the album would have a much higher critical standing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »

Obviously, not a patch on what came before, as the albums from Wild Honey through Holland  happen to be my favorite albums by anyone, anywhere. Much of the songs are covers of material that date from a time period I despise. So..why do I love this album as much as I do?

You hate the '50s/early '60s?? I mean, civil rights wise, things were pretty rough, but musically I think the that era is great, with lots of great one-hit wonders and lots of great early rock 'n roll, r&b and other stuff happening.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »

The 50's were terrible on a social level. This is why rock and roll was born.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

Actually, yeah, musically I do. I recognize that it is supposed to be good music, I just...can't get into it. It's not lack of familiarity, either, as that was the music my dad mainly listened to, and I heard plenty of it. I can dig Elvis, but not the 'Shooby-doobie doo wop, hold me darling' type thing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:41:53 PM by Ducks...yet ANOTHER white meat » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »

You hate the '50s/early '60s?? I mean, civil rights wise, things were pretty rough, but musically I think the that era is great, with lots of great one-hit wonders and lots of great early rock 'n roll, r&b and other stuff happening.

The 50s saw the beginnings of the civil rights movement that would have its full flowering in the 1960s.  1954 was the Brown v. Board ruling.  1955 was when Rosa Parks led the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which was also when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. first became noticed (admittedly, King's mentor, Bayard Rustin, was involved in similar protests throughout the South starting from the late 1940s).  Without these, the legislative victories of the civil rights movement in the late 1960s could never have taken place.  All of which is to say, it was a time during which much more social change was taken place than is generally acknowledged, with the popular view that all of 1950s culture can be gleaned by watching "Leave it to Beaver."  I think the emergence of Rock and Roll is reflective of what was going on in that sense.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »

just have to say have never understood the Rock and Roll Music hate. I really like this song and Mike's vocal.

I kind of have a soft spot for Rock 'N' Roll Music myself, if only because it was the first Beach Boys single that I ever purchased and thrilled to as it happened (I was still a little too young to appreciate, or even acknowledge Holland when it was first released).

Looking at it today, there's still a few quirky things that I enjoy about it: The prominence of all three Wilson brothers in the backing vocals. That barely there falsetto that floats in around the 1:20 mark and again at 1:58. The lead guitar figure in the right channel that permeates throughout the song (including the little "fires" before each chorus -- really dig the one at 1:15). The "Sea Cruise" organ sound.

As far as ML's nasal vocal goes, I've heard far worse (and more annoying) from him.

All only IMHO, of course. Smiley
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Album really isn't as bad as I originally expected.

Just Once in my Life (SOOOOOOOO underrated. GREAT closer)
Back Home
Susie Cincinatti
Had to Phone Ya
It's OK (Like the sped up single better)
That Same Song
Chapel of Love
Rock and Roll Music
A Casual Look
In the Still of the Night
Medley: Talk To Me/Tallahassee Lassie
Palisades Park
Blueberry Hille
Everyone's in Love with You
TM Song
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

I adore this album, possibly more than I should.

A+
Had to Phone Ya
Blueberry Hill

A
Rock and Roll Music (why don't people like this???)
That Same Song (the version with the choir would be an A+)

A-
Susie Cincinnati (doesn't belong on this album, but oh well...)
It's O.K.
Just Once in My Life
Chapel of Love (my biggest guilty favorite)
TM Song
Palisades Park

B+
In the Still of the Night
Talk to Me/Tallahassee Lassie

B
A Casual Look
Back Home

C
Everyone's in Love with You

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »

I adore this album, possibly more than I should.

A-
Chapel of Love (my biggest guilty favorite)
I feel the same way about this album too. I also agree with you on Chapel of Love. I especially enjoy the last verse where Mike follows Brian after each line. Only Brian could pull off a song such as this.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »

This album is awful and I despise it but...

1, Just Once in My Life - The only really good song on the album imo.

2, It's OK - Pleasant but obviously a retread.
3, Had to Phone Ya - Not bad but a shame they couldn't have completed it years before when Brian was at his peak.

4, Susie Cincinnati - But completely out of place
5, Blueberry Hill
6, Everyone's in Love With You - Too twee but at least Mike writing about something he cares about

7, That Same Song - Massively under-produced
8, Palisades Park - Semi-likeable
9, Talk to Me
10, A Casual Look

11, Rock and Roll Music - Another poor production from Brian and nasal vocal from Mike
12, Back Home - A terrible mauling of a pleasant song

13, Chapel of Love - Dire production and lead vocal from Brian
14, TM Song - Embarrassing
15, In the Still of the Night - Abysmal vocals and production.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »

1) Just Once in My Life- Usually the only song I listen to off of this album. I start with this and just move on to Love You on the two-fer
2) It's OK- I just like the tag, really.

Everything else is interchangeable. I hate this album. The concept of "selling out" has never been made more clear than on this album (I understand that's a loaded term, especially for a pop group). And I do not understand the love for In the Still of the Night. I am pretty much a Dennisista, but that lead hurts me deep down inside. Worst Beach Boys song I've ever heard.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »

Sleazier than Cruisin' (not technically a BB song though)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOnW8Rui9k

Love Cruisin'!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:13:37 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

Sleazier than Cruisin' (not technically a BB song though)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOnW8Rui9k

Love Cruisin'!
May I ask, how is it not technically a Beach Boys song? Was it sung by imposters or something?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »

May I ask, how is it not technically a Beach Boys song? Was it sung by imposters or something?

I'm sure you know full well that it was recorded by Celebration so what is the point of that question?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »

I'm sure you know full well that it was recorded by Celebration so what is the point of that question?
I thought it said Still Cruisin'. My apologies.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »

I thought it said Still Cruisin'. My apologies.

Apologies then for my slightly sniffy response.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »

One of my least favorite abums by them
1.Had to phone ya (Nice arrangement)
2. It's ok (Decent tune)
3. Susie Cincinnati (good song but totaly out of place on the album)
4.Just once in my life (The cover tune I like the best)
5. Back Home (good song, bad production/vocals)
6.that same song (I agree with those that say that the choir should have been on it)
7.TM song (bad lyrics, interesting arrangment, but yet out of place on the album)
8.everyones in love with you (One of mikes better tunes)
9. rock n roll music (the second cover tune I like)
the rest are equally bad....
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

Or as I call it: 12 Little Ones, 3 Decent Ones.

1. Had To Phone Ya - YEAH! I think. Yeah.
2. It's OK - It's okay. More than, even.
3. Back Home - Cool.

4. Susie Cincinnati - Eh?!
5. That Same Song - What?
6. Talk To Me - No....
7. In The Still of the Night - ....um...
8. Just Once In My Life - er...uh...
9. Rock And Roll Music - ....well when you put it like that....
10. Palisades Park - ...okay, but wha-
11. A Casual Look - WTF!
12. Blueberry Hill - Seriously?
13. Chapel of Love - ....no...no I don't think so...
14. TM Song - dude shut the hell up...
15. Everyone's In Love With You - ....like #$%&?@ right now. Jackass.

To sum it up:  Angry
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:25:02 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx