gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:47:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SURFIN SAFARI MONO & STEREO VINYL RECORD.  (Read 4418 times)
beatfan63
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »

Hey I just got this after lunch.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/beach-boys-surfin-safari-180-gram-mono-and-stereo-vinyl-records.shtml?cyEmail=richgspadafora@aol.com&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+The+Beach+Boys+-+Surfin%27+Safari&utm_content=New+Vinyl%28The+Who%2C+Dylan%2CBeach+Boys%2CRonson%2CKeith+Richards%2CStyx%2CVPI+B-Stock+Scout+%26+16.5+and+More%29+1%2F21%2F13&utm_campaign=January+21+2012

Hope the CD is on the way too !!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

Great! Will be interested in hearing how the "stereo" tracks sound.  Especially on 180G virgin vinyl.  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
beatfan63
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »

It appears that the same company that put out a 2 CD set-1 Mono & 1 Stereo used a Duophonic (BOO) tape for CD.
Im guessing they used the same for the Stereo vinyl. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »

If that's the case, I don't need it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »

Yes, the "stereo" is taken from a clean copy of the duophonic mix.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »

Would anyone know what this is?  Huh

http://www.lastfm.com/music/The+Beach+Boys/Surfin%27+Safari+%28New+Remastering+2013%29
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »

Another amateur PD job.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »

And another…

www.amazon.co.uk/Surfin-Safari-Lp-cd-VINYL/dp/B00BPR36GM

“We live in divisive times.”
Lemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »

The Beach Boys
Surfin' Safari
Record Store Day 2014 Release. ​'Surfin' Safari' by The Beach Boys was one of the first examples of surf music and the very early rumblings of a band that would go on to define popular music.  This is The Beach Boys' debut album in cool blue transparent vinyl along with their debut single Surfin'/ Luau on 7".

http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/81606
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »

The Beach Boys
Surfin' Safari
Record Store Day 2014 Release. ​'Surfin' Safari' by The Beach Boys was one of the first examples of surf music and the very early rumblings of a band that would go on to define popular music.  This is The Beach Boys' debut album in cool blue transparent vinyl along with their debut single Surfin'/ Luau on 7".

This will be interesting… must have been half a dozen reiussues of Surfin Safari on vinyl in the last year or two, maybe twice that number if CD reiussues and god knows how many downloads.

Wonder if this is a legit master tape source or yet another needle-drop?

Another interesting Record Store Day release is the Sunrays single, from Sundazed, mentioned onThe Second Disc:

Speaking of The Beach Boys, Hawthorne, California's favorite sons were something of an inspiration for the next singles act, The Sunrays, in more ways than one. The band's manager was none other than Murry Wilson, father to Brian, Dennis and Carl. After The Beach Boys fired Wilson as manager, he took on this teenage act; while none of their singles ever became more than regional hits, the two tracks making their vinyl debut here - "Our Leader," a paean to the band's manager, and "Won't You Tell Me," a Murry-penned track featuring contributions from Dennis Wilson and the legendary Wrecking Crew - are interesting curios in the ever-sprawling story of The Beach Boys and their endless summer. Band member Rick Henn supplies liner notes for the single.

Is this "Won't You Tell Me?" the same song that's been featured on a Beach Boys bootleg or two in recent years?

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »

Yes, same song. The Sunrays version of "Won't You Tell Me" was released on CD some time ago, but I feel like the release is out of print and pretty hard to come by.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »

Great! Will be interested in hearing how the "stereo" tracks sound.  Especially on 180G virgin vinyl.  Roll Eyes

Why can't you be nicer to me?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »

The Beach Boys
Surfin' Safari
Record Store Day 2014 Release. ​'Surfin' Safari' by The Beach Boys was one of the first examples of surf music and the very early rumblings of a band that would go on to define popular music.  This is The Beach Boys' debut album in cool blue transparent vinyl along with their debut single Surfin'/ Luau on 7".

This will be interesting… must have been half a dozen reiussues of Surfin Safari on vinyl in the last year or two, maybe twice that number if CD reiussues and god knows how many downloads.

Wonder if this is a legit master tape source or yet another needle-drop?

Another interesting Record Store Day release is the Sunrays single, from Sundazed, mentioned onThe Second Disc:

Speaking of The Beach Boys, Hawthorne, California's favorite sons were something of an inspiration for the next singles act, The Sunrays, in more ways than one. The band's manager was none other than Murry Wilson, father to Brian, Dennis and Carl. After The Beach Boys fired Wilson as manager, he took on this teenage act; while none of their singles ever became more than regional hits, the two tracks making their vinyl debut here - "Our Leader," a paean to the band's manager, and "Won't You Tell Me," a Murry-penned track featuring contributions from Dennis Wilson and the legendary Wrecking Crew - are interesting curios in the ever-sprawling story of The Beach Boys and their endless summer. Band member Rick Henn supplies liner notes for the single.

Is this "Won't You Tell Me?" the same song that's been featured on a Beach Boys bootleg or two in recent years?

Euro PD budget label unfortunately - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/not-now-records-whats-the-deal.276231/ - Kinda disappointed that RSD is involved with labels like that who have no access to master tapes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:13:10 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »

Oh Boy, hope I can get one of the Sunrays' singles.  The clip at second disc is brief, but it does sound like the "Won't You Tell Me" on youtube.  "Our Leader" sounds good too.
They do not say how many copies are being pressed.  Don't have time today, but I will call sundazed next week.  I live close enough to Coxsackie to make it worthwhile to drive up, if they will sell me a copy direct.
The few indie record stores in my area get very few of the releases.
Maybe, let's hope that sundazed will also release a CD with the single and more soon.
runners, what year did the CD you mention come out?  What Label?  Did it have the "Won't You Tell Me" single included?  Thanks for any help, I'm excited about getting this.
EDIT:  I called my local shop, Rhino Records in New Paltz, NY.  I was told sundazed will be bringing down a box of records.  And he will call me to confirm when he gets more news.  We still have a month to work on this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:02:07 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 04:18:16 AM »

Oh Boy, hope I can get one of the Sunrays' singles.  The clip at second disc is brief, but it does sound like the "Won't You Tell Me" on youtube.  "Our Leader" sounds good too.
They do not say how many copies are being pressed.  Don't have time today, but I will call sundazed next week.  I live close enough to Coxsackie to make it worthwhile to drive up, if they will sell me a copy direct.
The few indie record stores in my area get very few of the releases.
Maybe, let's hope that sundazed will also release a CD with the single and more soon.
runners, what year did the CD you mention come out?  What Label?  Did it have the "Won't You Tell Me" single included?  Thanks for any help, I'm excited about getting this.
EDIT:  I called my local shop, Rhino Records in New Paltz, NY.  I was told sundazed will be bringing down a box of records.  And he will call me to confirm when he gets more news.  We still have a month to work on this.

Those sundazed singles tend to be easy enough to get. There are still plenty of copies of the recent VDP "come to the sunshine" release in my local store

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »

what year did the CD you mention come out?  What Label?  Did it have the "Won't You Tell Me" single included?

The CD was a boxed set of 3 discs, titled For Collectors Only, released by Collectables in 1996. The set included the entire catalog of recordings released by The Sunrays during their career, plus an assortment of previously unreleased mixes and songs. Both "Won't You Tell Me" and "Our Leader" were included.

Here's the link to Amazon's listing for the set: http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Only-Vintage-Rays/dp/B000000970/.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »

Only a hundred dollars to hear a good quality but not-Brian-and-Carl's-vocals version of the song. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »

Beach Head,  Thanks for the link.  I've been burned a few times by the Collectables label, and as runners is asying (that's *saying* in runners style) $100 is a bit much.  But, we're not expecting any other version Ever now are we?  Reviewer #1 said how bad their reputation is in his first line.  Then quickly added, "But Not This Time!  This Sounds Great."  He's bound to be one of the sellers! Cool Guy  Every time something goes out of print the vultures put their wares out at Top Dollar.  Keep an eye on it.  They never find anyone foolish enough to pay that for material probably not even mastered well.  I hope that My Brother Woody is right about the sundazed singles being easy to get.  I'm getting that.  Last year nobody was carrying the Iron and Wine RSD single in my area, but was easily had at Amazon.
BTW those VDP singles look great, but I'm just gonna settle for the CD that collects them all when I can fit it into the budget.  I don't mind buying a single now and then, but these old bones don't like to get up to flip sides every four or five minutes.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx