gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding My Smile  (Read 4313 times)
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »

Greetings from a new member but long-time visitor to this message board.

I hope no one will take offense to my user name.  It’s a name I come by honestly and one that I proudly share with three founding members of what I consider to be the greatest band in the history of American music.

Like many other members of this board, I grew up loving the Beach Boys’ music and their wonderful harmonies.  If it’s possible – and it is – their music is even more important to me today than it was 50 years ago.  I still remember what it was like for this 13-year-old boy, lying in his bed at night in rural Oklahoma, listening to the Beach Boys music on my tiny radio.  That sound touched my soul and I knew without a doubt that, for me, there would never be another band like the Beach Boys.

Unlike many here, I have no special connection to the band, have never met any of the members and, for reasons beyond my control, have never had the opportunity to attend a Beach Boys concert.  But my genuine love and appreciation for their music spans their entire career.

Carl, the youngest Beach Boy and less than three years my senior, was my “hero.”  And even though it might sound creepy to someone who has never loved the Beach Boys, not a day passes that I don’t think about this kind and courageous man, listen to his angelic voice and wish that he was still with us.

That’s enough about me and my love for the Boys.  I will add that my beautiful wife of almost 40 years loves the Beach Boys (almost) as much as I do (if she’s faking it, she’s too sweet and loving to ever let me know).

Anyhow, I will never be able to discuss the band on the same level, nor display the same knowledge that many of you do.  I just want to be able to learn as much about my favorite band as possible, and perhaps occasionally make a worthwhile contribution of my own.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:06:15 AM by The 4th Wilson Bro. » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »

Welcome to the board!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:50:59 AM »

Nice to meet you!  Tell your wife to come on board too Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »

Lovely post, welcome!  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
aliana
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »

smile to the life.life will give you smile
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Hey, welcome! Smiley

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

G'day, okie Wilson! You told a very fascinating story! Oklahoma is one of my favorite states along with California, Louisiana, New York & Illinois! At least, from what I've seen & read, I very liked it.

I'm also one of those unlucky people who never met The Beach Boys & attend their concerts, so you are not alone. At the very least, we have nice people who upload their BBs videos to YT for us, fans, watch them.

I don't think that your wife fakes being a BBs devotee, simply because it's impossible & pointless to do. Everyone likes what they honestly like.

Anyway, good to see another old BBs fan! Quite jealous that you lived in the 60s, caught the time when The Boys were young/at the start of their musical career. Stay around this place!  

Thanks, RangeRover; that was a very nice and much-welcomed reply to my first post on SmileySmile (all but the part where you called me "another OLD BBs fan).  Of course you are quite correct; I am old, though I really do believe at 62 I still have a little life left in these old bones.  Anyway, I appreciate the compliments you gave my home state – and you're right: Oklahoma IS a great state and a great place to live. Oh, and let me correct one thing I stated in my previous post.  Carl, my all-time favorite BB, is actually four years my senior (not three).

Don't know about you, but I truly regret that I never met any of the BBs or attended any of their concerts.  It's not like I could not have made it happen, it's just that I come from a generation and a culture where it simply wasn't common to travel halfway across the country to see your favorite band perform.  Trust me, things would be much different if I had it all to do over again.  I know now that the Boys once gave a concert at the Oklahoma state prison, which is only about 100 miles from my home.  At the time, I was barely out of my teens (if I have my dates right) and I guess I had other things on my mind.  Heck, I don't recall that I was even aware that the Boys were in Oklahoma at the time.  This time around, I missed attending any the 50th anniversary concerts because of some family health issues.  So, of course, I'm hoping that just maybe the BBs will decide to "get back together and do it again" with just one more tour.  If they do, I plan to be there.

Oh, well; whatever happens, we'll always have their music and all the great memories of the world's greatest band.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:29:10 AM by The 4th Wilson Bro. » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx