gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:20:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #19: Holland  (Read 34319 times)
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »

My favourite Beach Boys album, which makes it incredibly hard to rate!

1. The entire California Saga - When I listen to it, I want to listen to it from the beginning till the end. Big Sur: maybe the best Mike ever did, love the instrumentation and vocals. Beaks: I don't mind the poem, it really fits with the music. Al's singing is simply beautiful. California: love the banjo, the rhythm and the vocals. Brian's intro is magic. I do prefer the single mix though as it has more Brian Smiley
2. Sail On Sailor - A great rockin' tune. Love the pounding piano, bass and drums. Blondie's voice fits like a glove. A great song!
3. Steamboat - What a song...the backing track is stunning. Love Denny's bass vocals.
4. The Trader - One of Carl's best leads ever. Full stop.
5. Only With You - I prefer the live version, because it's longer and is very similar to Denny's solo effort. It's a lovely tune.
6. Leaving This Town - I can't decide between the Moog and organ solo, because they are both incredible. Love it.
7. Funky Pretty - The studio version is a bit 'meh', but I do love the vocals very much (especially Blondie). The In Concert version is so much better.
MBE
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 04:45:24 AM »

Very fine work, a last masterpiece.

Sail On Sailor
Trader
Steamboat (would a great mood this has)
Only With You
Big Sur
California Saga
Funky Pretty
Leaving This Town
Mt Vernon
Beaks OF Eagles
I like everything on here except Al's poetry segment.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »

Poetry's by Robinson Jeffers. Unless you mean the music, which, for me, works better than the poertry.
MBE
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:59 AM »

The music is fine, I know Al didn't write it but he recites it so that's why I worded it that way.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »

Masterpiece? Wow, that's all I can say.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »

It's their final masterpiece for sure - never again did they make a truly great album.

1/ The Trader - my favourite Beach Boys song.
2/ Big Sur - once upon a time Mike Love could write really good songs.  Shocked
3/ Beaks of Eagles - Al's best ever song?
4/ Sail on Sailor - hard to imagine that at one point this wasn't going to be included.
5/ Steamboat
6/ California - California Girls for Hippies!! Who would have guessed it would work so well?
(7/ Mt. Vernon and Fairway - I have to be in the right mood for it but when I am...)
8/ Leaving This Town.
9/ Funky Pretty - proto Love You, for better or worse.
10/ Only With You - I much prefer Dennis's solo version but this is still good.

Downhill from here......

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »

Oh and Hard Times should have been included but I heard it was actually written post-Holland? Is that true?
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »

1. Funky Pretty
2. The Trader
3. Sail On, Sailor  
4. Leaving This Town
5. Big Sur
6. The Beaks of Eagles
7. California
8. Steamboat
9. Only With You

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Paulos
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »

A strange album is Holland, took me a good while to appreciate it and I still don't understand why We Got Love was dropped entirely, why not just have 10 songs on the album??

1. Sail On Sailor
2. California
3. Only With You
4. Big Sur
5. Steamboat
6. Trader
7. Funky Pretty
8. Leaving This Town
9. The Beaks Of Eagles
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

Oh and Hard Times should have been included but I heard it was actually written post-Holland? Is that true?

Recorded in early October of '72, right before the *initial* album was compiled. So, one would think it *could have* made it.

SOS, as we now know it, obviously came after.
Jaeden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »

The California Saga portion of this release ( Big Sur / Beaks of Eagles / California ) in my opinion has to be treated as almost a separate entity. It is better understood also if you have had the good fortune to experience the Sur. Let's remember, Brian, Carl and Dennis... or for that matter Mike didn't get out of the figurative "front yard" at 119th very often growing up. I could be wrong, but it seems Murry was to self engaged to do anything progressive like drive up the coast and camp out for a week. So as horizons expanded, the Sur and all it's rich history became a respite from the turbulence that was la suburbia. And one of the benefits of spending time there is that it helps you heal and grow. Mike knew this... singing;
"Big Sur I've got plans for you
 Me and mine are going to
 Add ourselves to our lengthy list of lovers"...

This trilogy is an invitation to a unique and vital part of the California experience... you should read Jeffers "Thurso's Landing"
Have you ever been south of Monterey?...the air's so clean it'll take your mind away.

I'll try to get to the rest of these songs later, but #2 has to be Trader...which is how it was presented on the original recording, no "The"

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »

Very enjoyable album.

1. Sail On Sailor
2. Big Sur
3. Funky Pretty
4. The Trader
5. California
6. Only With You
7. Streamboat
8. Leaving This Town
9. The Beaks of Eagles
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »

I'm mostly a fan of 1960's Beach Boys. This album sounds to me like typical American 70's soft-rock, (which is good, one must be of one's time) and I would never listen to it if it wasn't by the Beach Boys. However, there are three big standout tracks for me:

1. Funky Pretty
2. Sail On Sailor
3. Trader

And I like the fairy tale music too. The rest is much of a muchness.

Please delete my account
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:46 AM »

2. Sail On, Sailor (I'm glad that finally no one other than Blondie was chosen as the lead singer for the track. He made it his own, signature song. Besides, I really dug Ray Charles' cover at some concert dedicated to Hawaiian people, as I recall. All in all, brilliant song!)
You're thinking of their 25th anniversary, celebrated in and televised from Waikiki.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 07:19:16 AM »

One of their greatest, most consistent albums. I love pretty much every track, but if i really gotta rank it'd probably be thus:

1. TRADER (Following on from his Surf's Up tracks, Carl's third masterpiece. Great lyrics from Rieley too, who's prose is totally undeserving of the critisism it often attracts)
2. FUNKY PRETTY (I just love the melodies in this song, especially on the fade - there's so much going on, every listen sounds fresh. More great lyrics too)
3. STEAMBOAT (A very unique and beautiful song by Dennis. Great vocal by Carl, lovely backing vocals on the chorus, incredible slide guitar solo)
4. MOUNT VERNON (A masterpiece. I love all the musical interludes and Brian's cameo as the Piped Piper always makes me laugh. Such an original work)
5. CALIFORNIA (Along with Lookin' At Tomorrow, Al's finest moment. The harmonies on the chorus always blow me away - hair-raising stuff)
6. ONLY WITH YOU (Gorgeous ballad. I particuarly like the piano at the very end of the track - very moving)
7. BIG SUR (One of Mike's finest moments, both in terms of songwriting and singing. Why - when he could sing like this - he would so often resort to such a nasal whine in years to come is a mystery?)
8. SAIL ON SAILOR (A classic, obviously. There's other Beach Boy classics i love a lot more, but this is still undeniably a great song, and Blondie's singing kicks ass!)
9. BEAKS OF EAGLES (The poetry i can take or leave, but it doesn't bother me at all, as it does some people. The catchy interludes though i absolutely adore! More great work from Al)
10.   LEAVING THIS TOWN (I feel bad putting this at the bottom because it's a tremendously good song - I'm a big fan of the Blondie/Ricky period - but i suppose that a song of this quality could be deemed the least good on the album only goes to show what an incredibly high standard of songwriting this album contains throughout...)

The only way this album could've been made even better would've been to have included Carry Me Home, which is to my ears a masterpiece. It'd most likely have come first or second.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:22:22 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »

As with Carl and The Passions, I wouldn't consider myself much of a fan of this record-- In both cases, the lack of Brian's involvement really kills it for me. He was in a downward spiral and the results were obvious. Dennis's songs were both good, but how come no DW vocals? And for that matter why no "Carry Me Home", which to me is better than anything than ultimately made it on the album? If forced to choose between Holland or, say, "Custom Machine" or "Amusement Parks USA" at gunpoint, Holland would lose.

GOOD:
Trader
Only with You
California
Steamboat
Sail on Sailor
Leaving This Town

MEH:
Funky Pretty
We Got Love

WHA' HAPPEN?:
Big Sur
Beaks of Eagles
Mt. Vernon & Fairway

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

They really captured a "Feel" with this album. When I close my eyes and listen, it does take me away to another place and time.

My ranking:

1. Sail On Sailor
2. The Trader
3. Steamboat
4. California
5. Only With You
6. Leaving This Town
7. Big Sur
8. Funky Pretty (Better arrangement & performance on In Concert)
9. Beaks Of Eagles
10. Mount Vernon & Fairway (If just "Fairy Tale Music", I'd rate it higher)

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jaeden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »

#2 Trader
The song of California...the song of America
But it is a double edged sword, part of my immediate family on the Native American side...part on the "Trader" side
I don't agree with Trader's actions or direction, but as in all progression of the human race, I am glad to be here and not somewhere else
And my Native side try's to understand the lack of harmony, the obsession with an unquenchable avarice.
Trader said;
"There not as good as those who wear Velvet Robes..
  Please help, the breast's I see...their NOT like me"...
Self centeredness still permeates our society today, we walk away from knowing our neighbors...every man for himself...not in my backyard
The reply;
Making it softly
Creating it gently
Eyes that "see" beyond tomorrow, beyond the sorrow
Reason to live

A sad epitaph...we never got to know them, to bold thinking we were better

#3 Steamboat

B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »

1. Sail on, Sailor
2. Big Sur
3. Sunny Califrn-i-a
4. The Trader
5. Beaks of Eagles
6. Leaving This Town
7. Steamboat
8. Funky Pretty
9. Only With You
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »

1. (tie) the entire album

Seriously, though, I'm having hell of a time trying to rank these. If I had to put a track at the bottom, I guess I'd say Funky Pretty, but I love that too. As far as favorite goes, might be 'Trader' or 'Only With You'.

I think this might be my favorite BB album, and if 'Carry Me Home' had been on here, it might be my favorite album of all time, period.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:33:02 PM by Ducks...yet ANOTHER white meat » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »

Solid album, kinda underrated actually
Funky Pretty (A preview of what was to come imo)
Steamboat
Sail on, Sailor
(California saga) California
Leaving This Town (LOVE this song)
The Trader
(California saga) Big Sur
Only with You
(California saga) Beaks of Eagles
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

1.   Funky Pretty
2.   The Trader
3.   Sail On, Sailor
4.   Steamboat

5.   Big Sur (the original 4/4 verson is far better)
6.   Only With You

7.   California
8.   Beaks of Eagles

9.   Leaving This Town

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:23:33 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »

I could be wrong, but it seems Murry was to self engaged to do anything progressive like drive up the coast and camp out for a week.

Not sure if I would call driving the family to Big Sur to go camping "progressive", just the kind of thing a lot of families did /do, but anyway . . . . . .

For me, Sail On Sailor, the California Trilogy and Leaving This Town are the only reasons I listen to this album.  We Got Love should have been included.
rynedotcom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »

1.   Funky Pretty
2.   The Trader
3.   Only With You
4.   California
5.   Sail On, Sailor
6.   Leaving This Town
7.   Big Sur
8.   Steamboat
9.   Beaks of Eagles

This album was very surprising on how good this was to me. From start to finish this album is great.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:48 AM »

Trader
Only With You
Big Sur
Sail On Sailor
Steamboat
Funky Pretty
California Saga
Leaving This Town
Beaks OF Eagles

ps. HOW CAN "CARRY ME HOME" be still unreleased???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:59:12 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx