gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #19: Holland  (Read 34313 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »

Pretty good record. There's some really high highs.
I'm not going to include the fairy tale tracks, but I think they're really wonderful.

9. California Saga/The Beaks of Eagles - I like the instrumentation, that's about it.
8. Leaving This Town
7. Sail On, Sailor - I think it's a good song, I just wish someone else were singing lead. Blondie did great, it just doesn't sound like the Beach Boys much to me.
6. California Saga/California
5. Funky Pretty
4. The Trader - People love this one around here. It's okay to me.
3. Steamboat - This is great. The music actually sounds like a steamboat. Great vocals.
2. Only With You - I happen to think this is gorgeous, and brilliant. Definitely a lovers song.
1. California Saga/Big Sur - One of Mike's finest moments. He sounds magnificent. The music is lovely. Perfect.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

Definitely one of my top 5 favorite BB albums, maybe even top 3, so I love pretty much everything here!

1. Sail On Sailor - an absolute classic, never get tired of it
2. Big Sur - Mike Love's finest hour past the early hits
3. Mt. Vernon and Fairway - LOVE IT!
4. Only with You - one of DW's finest ever ballads, love the understated feel
5. Funky Pretty - proto-Love You, fantastic!
6. California - another moment for Mike to shine, brilliant lead vocal
7. The Trader - every bit as good as Carl's contributions to Surf's Up
8. The Beaks of Eagles - never understood why people tend to dislike this one
9. Steamboat - sound-wise, one of the most inventive things they did around the time, fabulous stuff!
10. Leaving This Town - great song and unlike their stuff on So Tough it actually does sound like a Beach Boys production too!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

3. Mt. Vernon and Fairway - LOVE IT!

I'm right there with you!
It's so lonely sounding.
Brilliant.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »

The Trader
Sail On, Sailor
Leaving This Town
Steamboat
California

Funky Pretty
Only With You

Big Sur (like the 4/4 verson so much more!)

Beaks of Eagles

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »

Another extremely overrated album by the fanbase. Draggy and overbearing at several points.

Great:
Sail On Sailor
The Trader
Steamboat
Only With You

Very good
California

Good:
Big Sur

Awful:
Leaving This Town (Sounds like a Traffic outtake, and not even a Winwood track, a Capaldi track)
Funky Pretty (The sound of the backing track in the first section is cool, everything else about it is abominable)
The Beaks Of Eagles (Utterly putrid nonsense)

The lowest of the low:
Mount Vernon And Fairway (Yeah, the musical sections are cool, but taken in total, if I had been a member of the group or of Brian's family, I would have checked him into a mental hospital immediately)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:26:22 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »

1) Mount Vernon And Fairway -- as good in its way as Love You or Smiley Smile
2) Sail On Sailor
3) Funky Pretty -- infinitely better than the turgid live version most people prefer
4) The Trader -- best thing Carl ever did as a songwriter
5) Steamboat
6) California
7) Only With You -- not as good as it thinks it is, but still pretty good.
Cool Big Sur
9) Beaks Of Eagles -- in some ways the most artistically interesting thing on the album, but unfortunately it's an artistically interesting failure.
10) Leaving This Town -- the worst thing Blondie & Ricky contributed to the band by a long way.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »

1) CS: California - now that's how you do the BB vibe without sounding outdated!
2) CS: Big Sur - Mike sounding brilliant - am I the only one who prefers this to the 4/4 version?
3) Sail On Sailor - although the non-STANDARD BB lead did put me off at first
4) Leaving This Town - an epic, although I may have preferred We Got Love
5) The Trader - the second section always went on a tad too long for me
6) CS: beaks of Eagles - I really enjoy this for some reason!
7) Funky Pretty - Pretty Funky?
Cool Only With You
9) Steamboat

I need to give the 7" a spin again before I place Mt. Vernon, but I still say the LP should have had We Got Love on top of all this. It would have been perfect!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

Can't really rate this album: every song is great to my ears. It's like the perfect Americana/nature album.

'Funky Pretty' is the one BB song that has grown on me the most. It's like a cosmic journey brought to you by Brian Wilson.

Have to agree with Ian that Mt. Vernon is the lowest of the low. There is nothing redeeming in the music either: it's more creepy than beautiful.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

Ahh, but sometimes Brian's music should be creepy. That's why the Smiley Wind Chimes is in my Top 10 BB tracks.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »

Amongst my favourite albums

Steamboat
Big Sur
Sail On Sailor
Funky Pretty - this song is far out and pretty spectacular with the lyrics imo ^^
California Saga (California)
The Trader
Leaving This Town
Beaks Of Eagles
Only With You - A little too sappy for my taste, perhaps dennis should have this lead?

In my imaginary world Carry Me Home would make a very strong cut. I think it would be a stronger dennis song.
Was Out In The Country also originally recorded for this? that would've been superb for this album as well if it were developed further.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:18:39 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »

Ahh, but sometimes Brian's music should be creepy. That's why the Smiley Wind Chimes is in my Top 10 BB tracks.

True - the organ in 'Amusement Parks USA' is one of my favorite moments on SDSN.

The music for Mt. Vernon just seems empty - so it's not an enjoyable creepy for me. But to each his own!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

True - the organ in 'Amusement Parks USA' is one of my favorite moments on SDSN.

The music for Mt. Vernon just seems empty - so it's not an enjoyable creepy for me. But to each his own!

It kinda reminds me of the blank-sounding Smile chants. Ya know, "where's my beets, and my carrots" type things. And the harmonic drones.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

1. The Trader
2. Steamboat
3. Sail On, Sailor
4. Only With You
5. Funky Pretty
6. California Saga: Big Sur
7. California Saga: California
8. Leaving This Town
9. California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles

Love this album, and it's definitely up there in terms of balancing consistent quality and cohesiveness.  A highlight of their democratic middle years.  Don't have any reservations about this one as some others do.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

1. The Trader (the second half is one of the sublimest moments in the BB's recorded output)
2. California Saga: California (prefer the single version)
3. Sail On, Sailor

4. California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles (I've always enjoyed this)
5. Only With You
6. Steamboat (It took me 15 years as a fan to finally warm up to this, now I love it!)

7. Mt. Vernon & Fairway

8. Funky Pretty (Live version is 10x better)
9. California Saga: Big Sur (I prefer the unreleased version)

10. Leaving This Town (Live version is way way better)
11. We Got Love (Live version is way way better as well...I chose to include this since it was accidentally released on some pressings of this album)
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

1. California Saga: California
2. Steamboat
3. California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles
4. California Saga: Big Sur
5. Sail On, Sailor
6. Funky Pretty
7. Leaving This Town
8. Only with You
9. The Trader
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »

I'm a big fan but prefer my own custom version. 

1. Sail On Sailor - The perfect balance of the phase immediately preceding Endless Summer: Brian's song (and piano), production led by Carl, and a stellar vocal from half of the "new blood", with backing vocals interesting enough to honor the Beach Boys' legacy.
2. The Trader - Another great cut from Carl, Jack, and the "socially conscious" bag of the self-designated protectors of the Beach (and nature).
3. California - Unlike much of what later followed, this one's just nostalgic and familiar enough, while still keeping with their above mentioned image of the time.
4. Steamboat - Despite it's tempo, this song "rocks" more than any of the embarrassing songs some people think they see on 20/20 and its content is another example of the band staying true to its name with nary a mention of woodies or waves.  Great production too!
5. Funky Pretty - Good song totally on par with the rock music of its era.  Jack's lyrics are just "spacey" enough without going over the edge.
6. Leaving This Town - A great track from Blondie and Ricky, tho the solo goes on for a bit too long.  Thankfully, it's saved by returning to the song with the "woke from a dream" lyrics.  Nice save!
7. Only With You - A great example of a fully realized, restrained pop song from Dennis, without the schmaltz overload.
8. Big Sur - No idea why Mike messed with the perfection that was the earlier version.  The backing vocals are sorely missed and the temp change gives the song a hoedown feel that overshadows the beauty of the lyrics.
9. Mt. Vernon and Fairway - I get what Brian was going for but once Holland was confirmed to be a very mainstream album, without this serving as the "centerpiece" Brian intended, he should have saved it for another project.  Included, it sticks out like a sore thumb, even more so because of its status as a "companion piece", that seems to show the band tolerating it at best.
10. The Beaks of Eagles - Nice melody and vocals but the spoken word pieces pull me out of the song harder than a needle scratch.  How this made the cut over "We Got Love", I'll never understand!

As for MY version (if anyone wants to follow me on a fantastic musical journey with the mid-70's Beach Boys):

1. Sail On Sailor - See above.
2. The Trader - See above.
3. Hard Times - GREAT rockin' tune that accomplishes what it sets out to do.  The backing vocals are worthy of the band (and have even tricked several board members into thinking they hear more than just Blondie and Ricky in there).  As for it not being a "Beach Boys" tune due to it only utilizing two members, the same could be said of SO much of their catalog but no one calls out "Caroline No" (or "Pet Sounds" or "Let's Go Away For A While") on Pet Sounds, among countless other "solo" tracks on countless other albums.
4. It's A New Day - A great UPTEMPO song from Dennis with a GREAT vocal from Blondie.  Who can't hear the sound of summer in his laugh, when coupled with these positive lyrics?!
5. California (single version) - Not much could top the album version but more Brian certainly does.  The horns also give it a "happier" feel that help reinforce the celebration of the band's home state.
6. Big Sur (4/4) - Second only to "All I Wanna Do" as Mike's post-surf crowning achievement.  Worlds better than the remake.
7. Steamboat - See above.
8. We Got Love - Another positive cut that help make the album feel more like it was recorded by the "ambassadors of summer".  Great message.  Great song.
9. Funky Pretty - See above.
10. Leaving This Town - See above.  Made all the better by serving as the album's closer.
11. Only With You - See above.  (Falling to #11 ONLY because of the inclusion of those other really great tunes!)
12. Fairy Tale Music (remix) - Still a bit out of place but it paints a nice story (that the listener can fill in with their own imagination) and sets a peaceful stage as the album's penultimate track. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:25:16 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

1. Sail On Sailor
2. Funky Pretty
3. On My Way to Sunny Californ-I-A
4. The Trader
5. Leaving This Town
6. Only With You
7. Big Sur
8. Beaks of Eagles
9. Steamboat

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »

1) Sail On Sailor
 2) Steamboat
 3) Trader
 4) Sunny California
 5) Leaving This Town
 6) Only With You
 7) Big Sur
 Cool The Beaks of Eagles
 9) Funky Pretty
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »

I like this one alot.

1. Sail On, Sailor
2. Only With You
3. Big Sur
4. The Trader
5. California
6. Leaving This Town
7. Steamboat
8. Funky Pretty
9. The Beaks of Eagles
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »

1. California Saga (Three Song Cycle)
2. The Trader
3. Sail On Sailor
4. Leaving This Town
5. Only With You
6. Steamboat
7. Funky Pretty
8. Mt. Vernon & Fairway

or

1. California
2. Big Sur
3. Trader
4. SOS
5. LTT
6. OWY
7. Steamboat
8. The Beaks of Eagles
9. FP
(10.) We Got Love

I prefer to listen to California Saga as one ten-minute song, it actually transitions really well, not unlike the second suite of Smile.

Really, I love this whole album so much. It's like the rebirth of the Beach Boys. Instead of trying to copy the successes of Chicago or the Rolling Stones, they were going back to their old subject matter of California, the sea, and love, while still progressing and maturing as a band, writing more mature songs about those themes, and new songs that reflect the group itself (Leaving this Town is the band's exodus to Holland, and the story of Ricky and Blondie leaving South Africa for Britain).

I've also got to give props to the band for standing for their own work. If Brian had made his concept of the album, it would have been far inferior to the released product. Also, eliminating We Got Love in favor of Sail on Sailor improves the album so much. Removing that slow clunker and replacing it with that classic makes the pacing much better. It's great to have a classic single like that lead off the album instead of remaining in the vaults for decades.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »

1. Funky Pretty
2. Sail On, Sailor
3. The Trader
4. Steamboat
5. California
6. Big Sur
7. Only With You
8. The Beaks of Eagles
9. Leaving This Town

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

01.  Sail on Sailor
02.  California
03.  Mount Vernon
04.  The Trader
05.  Steamboat
06.  Funky Pretty
07.  Big Sur
08.  Only With You
09.  Beaks of Eagles
10.  Leaving This Town
(11. We Got Love)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »

1. The Trader
2. Sail On, Sailor
3. Only With You
4. California Saga/California
5. Steamboat
6. Funky Pretty
7. Leaving This Town (I'll say a tie between 5, 6 & 7)
8. California Saga/The Beaks Of Eagles
9. California Saga/Big Sur
10. Mt. Vernon & Fairway

Another record that I really like, and which the lower-ranked tracks are in no way necessarily indicative of sub-par quality to me.

PS - I also really like the studio version of We Got Love. I'd probably stick it in with that tie group.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »

1. Big Sur (never understood why people prefer the 4/4 version, I think this version is much better)
2. Sail On, Sailor
3. The Trader
4. California
5. The Beaks of Eagles
6. Only With You
7. Funky Pretty
8. Steamboat
9. Leaving This Town
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:43 AM »

My favorite album right after Pet Sounds.

1. California
2. Steamboat
3. Only With You
4. Trader
5. Sail On Sailor
6. Big Sur
7. Funky Pretty
8. Leaving This Town
9. Beaks of Eagles

Love the fairy tale as well.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx