gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:41:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Brian Wilson" to be reissued on vinyl.  (Read 25774 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

Already got a decent sounding second hand copy....

Dismissing vinyl reissues as an industry out right is dim.

I'm not dim, I'm Alex. Watch it. Personally, I have been burned by bad pressings from all the majors, Capitol, Sony, etc., as well as Sundazed, Norton and all the others. Several times each, in fact. Whereas I can count on about three fingers the times I bought a factory-damaged bad pressing in the 70's and 80's. There is always at least one digital step in the vinyl process these days, and to me, that negates the purpose of the thing to a large degree.

Whereas I've had a mixed bag - some bad, some not. Maybe you've had bad luck (and why would we beef over vinyl reissues, for gods sake) but I'm just basing this off what I've bought.

And I don't know what you're buying, but I've had plenty of problems with old vinyl too!

I have had plenty of problems with old vinyl as well, but buying records new in the 70's and 80's, I maybe had three experiences with scratched or mispressed copies. It just very rarely happened. Now, you even get ones that are pressed slightly off-center, causing a wobbly effect as it gets closer to the label.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »

I've noticed a great variance in quality of the new vinyl. I think they just press these things up knowing there are a bunch of suckers like me with an addiction to feed! Now if you are lucky enough to find some NM 60's/70's vinyl, it almost always sounds great. Especially 60's. Those records were made to last! Problem was, most people didn't have equipment back then to match the quality of the vinyl.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2013, 03:29:19 AM »

I like vintage vinyl but those capitol pressings of BBs records can be extremely dodgy at times. Good thing I got the BBs deluxe set from 1967 in mono.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »

Friday Music is a pretty well respected label among audiophiles.  I have two of recent reissues of theirs: "American Woman" by the Guess Who, and "Toto IV" by Toto.  They are both flat as a pancake, beautifully pressed without any surface noise that I can detect.  The only caveat I have with this reissue of BW88 is that it's being pressed on colored vinyl, which in my experience, usually doesn't sound as great.  However, my previous good luck with this label has convinced me to quadruple dip (original vinyl, CD, CD reissue).  I think this will be a good reissue. 

I do agree that most of Capitol's recent vinyl reissues leave a lot to be desired, although it does vary from title to title and out of the recent batch of BB-related Capitol discs I've been very happy with my Sunflower repressing and especially with the TWGMTR vinyl pressing.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
MBE
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »

Again Friday Music is all analog as are some of the other labels.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:55 AM »

I've noticed a great variance in quality of the new vinyl. I think they just press these things up knowing there are a bunch of suckers like me with an addiction to feed! Now if you are lucky enough to find some NM 60's/70's vinyl, it almost always sounds great. Especially 60's. Those records were made to last! Problem was, most people didn't have equipment back then to match the quality of the vinyl.
I know it's quite late into the 70's but I have two NM L.Ps that instantly come to mind when I read this; Peter Gabriel's first solo album (the one with the Car) and "Rising" by Rainbow - both of these albums have so much depth and clarity that it's unbelievable. I own both of these on C.D and they just don't have the same warmth and depth (and I'm rarely one of these Vinyl>CD people)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

I've noticed a great variance in quality of the new vinyl. I think they just press these things up knowing there are a bunch of suckers like me with an addiction to feed!

RIGHT! It's nothing against you - there's quite a few people like you out there who are collectors or just want to see if that classic album out there sounds better on vinyl than on CD. You can read reviews, but until you take it home, you don't know for sure. And the damn vinyl usually costs more than a CD so you'd better be sure! And many are disappointed when they find out the vinyl is not as good! Many times it's just a marketing ploy. Look at the colored vinyl back in the 70's and the Japanese colored vinyl and all. It costs a little more, but to have Pink Floyd on pink vinyl or the Beatles White album on white vinyl or ELO on blue vinyl, etc. was just to get you to buy that album. The warmth and depth and clarity wasn't any better. The people that can really benefit from vinyl (virgin vinyl) are the audiophiles who collect Classical and Jazz music and SWEAR that it sounds better than CD's. I know a guy who rarely TOUCHES a CD unless there's material he really wants that he can't get on vinyl. But you'd better have a better amp (Mono blocks or tube amps) and a damn good turntable with a real nice cartridge and stylus to reproduce that "warmth & clarity". Or why bother?

Vinyl is fine, but just give me a needle drop CD and I'm good to go.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:07:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »

I like vintage vinyl but those capitol pressings of BBs records can be extremely dodgy at times. Good thing I got the BBs deluxe set from 1967 in mono.
I got a Capitol pressing of Sunflower that was released a few years ago and it sounds horrible!

What's odd is that the record sleeve inside the album cover is a reprint of the Sunflower picture with Add some Music printed on it. Was that on the original Sunflower release?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

But you'd better have a better amp (Mono blocks or tube amps) and a damn good turntable with a nice cartridge and needle to reproduce that "warmth & clarity". Or why bother?

Vinyl is fine, but just give me a needle drop CD and I'm good to go.  Grin

The harmonic distortion that folks feel as "warmth" can be felt even on one of those 50 dollar all-in-one Crosley jobs.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »

I got a Capitol pressing of Sunflower that was released a few years ago and it sounds horrible!

What's odd is that the record sleeve inside the album cover is a reprint of the Sunflower picture with Add some Music printed on it. Was that on the original Sunflower release?

The "Add Some Music" record sleeve inside the Capitol "Sunflower" 2009 vinyl LP reissue is a reproduction of the original album cover artwork, back when the album was slated to be titled "Add Some Music".  (For those who haven't seen it, it's basically identical to the Sunflower cover, with the words "Add Some Music" placed horizontally in the center of the banner, instead of "Sunflower" under a rainbow-style arch.)  The "Add Some Music" album cover artwork originally appeared as a black and white thumbnail in the Warner-Reprise double album loss leader "The Big Ball" released in March 1970 and containing 25 selections by Warner-Reprise artists, available exclusively by mail order for the low price of only $2 (about $12 in today's dollars).

"This Whole World" from the forthcoming "Add Some Music" album was song number three on side one, and I was instantly mesmerized when I first heard it.  The liner notes concluded with, "The Beach Boys now have their very own label, Brother Records, which is distributed by Reprise.  'This Whole World' is from their first album on Brother, slated for release in April, 1970."  "Cool," I thought to myself, "that's next month!"  But my local record store had to put up with me continually asking about the Beach Boys new "Add Some Music" album for another five months, when it finally arrived in August titled "Sunflower."

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:57:29 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »

Again Friday Music is all analog as are some of the other labels.

Honestly, they're not.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

Anyone order this? just ordered the IJWMFTT one myself as I have the original BW88 so will leave it...at least for now

edit: sorry I see its a March 19th release
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:59:03 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

Whereas the pressings lack that 'something', I do love Sundazed for getting rarer records back into my price range. For instance, an original of the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Bros LP is going for £125 on ebay! I picked up the Sundazed one for about £17 or something. Or The Left Banke's first LP for not silly money, etc.

I paid exactly sixteen quid for my ex UK Mono of Gene/Gosdin Brothers! Did wait a good few years before finally snagging one at the right price though.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »

Anyone order this?

Yup, I have it on order from the local record shop I work at.

There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
MBE
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »

Yeah I do too.
I want to say that people who think vinyl is bought just for better or analog sound are mistaken. That's a big plus, but I actually just like the format, the feel, the package, the whole works. New vinyl issues as long as they are clear and quiet are fine by me. Mint original analog is the best, but in the case of IJWMFTT I was just happy to have it on a record.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2013, 05:27:57 AM »

i ordered one also. rebuilding collection with a few choice lp items. this one looks nice.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 06:07:40 AM »

Whereas the pressings lack that 'something', I do love Sundazed for getting rarer records back into my price range. For instance, an original of the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Bros LP is going for £125 on ebay! I picked up the Sundazed one for about £17 or something. Or The Left Banke's first LP for not silly money, etc.

I paid exactly sixteen quid for my ex UK Mono of Gene/Gosdin Brothers! Did wait a good few years before finally snagging one at the right price though.

I paid exactly $5 for an original Left Banke first album last summer. Less than I could buy a Sundazed copy for!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »

I don't need the new release as I already have the original from 1988....but nice to see it out again on vinyl.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »

I paid exactly $5 for an original Left Banke first album last summer. Less than I could buy a Sundazed copy for!

My wife found one for 50 cents at the local Goodwill!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

My wife found one for 50 cents at the local Goodwill!
I am guessing all those Johnny Mathis records hid it well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2013, 09:02:30 AM »

The "Add Some Music" record sleeve inside the Capitol "Sunflower" 2009 vinyl LP reissue is a reproduction of the original album cover artwork, back when the album was slated to be titled "Add Some Music".  (For those who haven't seen it, it's basically identical to the Sunflower cover, with the words "Add Some Music" placed horizontally in the center of the banner, instead of "Sunflower" under a rainbow-style arch.)  The "Add Some Music" album cover artwork originally appeared as a black and white thumbnail in the Warner-Reprise double album loss leader "The Big Ball" released in March 1970 and containing 25 selections by Warner-Reprise artists, available exclusively by mail order for the low price of only $2 (about $12 in today's dollars).

"This Whole World" from the forthcoming "Add Some Music" album was song number three on side one, and I was instantly mesmerized when I first heard it.  The liner notes concluded with, "The Beach Boys now have their very own label, Brother Records, which is distributed by Reprise.  'This Whole World' is from their first album on Brother, slated for release in April, 1970."  "Cool," I thought to myself, "that's next month!"  But my local record store had to put up with me continually asking about the Beach Boys new "Add Some Music" album for another five months, when it finally arrived in August titled "Sunflower."

Yeah! I remember a couple of records I have from WB having a sleeve with an ad that had another record or two that had a track on each album…I think one had Cool Cool Water and Susie Cincinatti, I don't have the sleeve around me at the moment or else I'd post it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

I got my copy of the Friday Music reissue of "Brian Wilson".  The sleeve is wonderfully reproduced, with a very attractive gatefold for the first time.  The vinyl itself sounds good; the mastering is closer in tone to the 2000 cd. The tinniest detail of the production is at the forefront, so you can really focus on every last synth trill or gurgle. Brian's individual harmonies really benifit from the added resolution. However, this is at the expense of the original's dynamics.  I did a shootout with my original Sire vinyl and there was more warmth and space to the sound on the Sire.  If you have a hard time finding an original LP, get a copy of the Friday Music reissue. For folks that already own an original, buy it as a collector's item or just hang on to your previous pressing.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »

I got my copy of the Friday Music reissue of "Brian Wilson".  The sleeve is wonderfully reproduced, with a very attractive gatefold for the first time.  The vinyl itself sounds good; the mastering is closer in tone to the 2000 cd. The tinniest detail of the production is at the forefront, so you can really focus on every last synth trill or gurgle. Brian's individual harmonies really benifit from the added resolution. However, this is at the expense of the original's dynamics.  I did a shootout with my original Sire vinyl and there was more warmth and space to the sound on the Sire.  If you have a hard time finding an original LP, get a copy of the Friday Music reissue. For folks that already own an original, buy it as a collector's item or just hang on to your previous pressing.

Thanks, I'll stick to my Minty Sire copy then  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MBE
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:32 AM »

I just wish they had either included the CD only reissue tracks (NIGHT BLOOMING JASMINE ON VINYL WOULD BE KILLLER), or put out Imagination instead which has never been a record except for the 45.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »

I just wish they had either included the CD only reissue tracks (NIGHT BLOOMING JASMINE ON VINYL WOULD BE KILLLER), or put out Imagination instead which has never been a record except for the 45.
Good call! I want this too!

Heck, we got IJWMFTT on vinyl randomly...who put that out?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx