gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:23:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Brian Wilson" to be reissued on vinyl.  (Read 25549 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »

I got my copy of the Friday Music reissue of "Brian Wilson".  The sleeve is wonderfully reproduced, with a very attractive gatefold for the first time.  The vinyl itself sounds good; the mastering is closer in tone to the 2000 cd. The tinniest detail of the production is at the forefront, so you can really focus on every last synth trill or gurgle. Brian's individual harmonies really benifit from the added resolution. However, this is at the expense of the original's dynamics.  I did a shootout with my original Sire vinyl and there was more warmth and space to the sound on the Sire.  If you have a hard time finding an original LP, get a copy of the Friday Music reissue. For folks that already own an original, buy it as a collector's item or just hang on to your previous pressing.
Any Landy credits or mentions at all?

can you or anyone else post a picture of the blue vinyl and gatefold? I've not been able to find it anywhere.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

This should sound better than the original LP or CD.

Much easier than carefully puuuuling the vinyl out of the sleeve, carefully puuuuutting in on the turntable, carefully liiiiiifting the tone arm and carefully plaaaacing the needle on the record.

You forgot to clean the LP and the stylus.

Anyway what you describe is very much a part of what makes vinyl enjoyable for me. It is not burdensome at all.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
oldsurferdude
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »

This should sound better than the original LP or CD.

Much easier than carefully puuuuling the vinyl out of the sleeve, carefully puuuuutting in on the turntable, carefully liiiiiifting the tone arm and carefully plaaaacing the needle on the record.

You forgot to clean the LP and the stylus.

Anyway what you describe is very much a part of what makes vinyl enjoyable for me. It is not burdensome at all.
I look sooooo forward to having to get up and turn the record over to the other side. I think the task has taken some serious, undeserved  flack over the years and it's just not fair. It really can be a source of unlimited fun if one is a little creative.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:32:08 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »

When hitting the sack, I remember putting on Pet Sounds (usually side 2) or Carl & The Passions (usually side 2) and putting on the headphones so I could get to sleep without having to get up to turn the record over. Getting off the sofa or bed to turn the record over after the music stopped was a pain in the butt, especially when I had a lady over and in the middle of an intimate moment.....

And you're right. If lint built up in the stylus (or record grooves) and you had to clean it out. Pain in the butt. Or if it was a belt drive turntable you had to replace the belt sometimes. And motor driven turntables 'rumbled' with a deep bass feedback if not positioned on the table/cabinet shelf properly.   

When CD's came out, all of the above issues pretty much went away.  I don't miss playing vinyl and turntables every day to play music.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MBE
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:24 AM »

No need to miss it, records are selling better than since the late eighties or early nineties. We all have our preference , but the so called work to me is part of the fun of vinyl. I feel the sound I get is worth it. Plus I work at home so no need to be portable.

Landy has his original credits as exec producer. I didn't check the song credits but it seems the 1988 LP sleeve is reproduced straight as a gatefold.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »

Vinyl-best to stock up now-it's a momentary fad that will most likely be passing in the not too distant future. Cool
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »

When hitting the sack, I remember putting on Pet Sounds (usually side 2) or Carl & The Passions (usually side 2) and putting on the headphones so I could get to sleep without having to get up to turn the record over. Getting off the sofa or bed to turn the record over after the music stopped was a pain in the butt, especially when I had a lady over and in the middle of an intimate moment.....

And you're right. If lint built up in the stylus (or record grooves) and you had to clean it out. Pain in the butt. Or if it was a belt drive turntable you had to replace the belt sometimes. And motor driven turntables 'rumbled' with a deep bass feedback if not positioned on the table/cabinet shelf properly.  

When CD's came out, all of the above issues pretty much went away.  I don't miss playing vinyl and turntables every day to play music.

Ah well, To Each his Own.

Its true regardless if your turntable is the cheapest BSR ever made or a reference model that set you back $5,000 the mechanics of listening to vinyl are the same (of course you can get let the records go to hell if you dont care).

Personally, I have never found any of the mechanics burdensome and sonic rewards I receive from my vinyl to be worth whatever effort expended.
I am very proud of my record collection and have no intentions of discarding it or letting the LPs sit unplayed just to look at.

So there - Razz Razz Razz Grin
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:58:45 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »

Vinyl-best to stock up now-it's a momentary fad that will most likely be passing in the not too distant future. Cool

Haha...I trust you're joking. Vinyl will clearly be around for longer than any of us will.

The 'point of vinyl' for me isn't repressings of records you can buy original sealed copies of for $5. I WISH people paying money for such things was a fad that was going to disappear, but sadly, it's not.

For me (more of a record obsessive than a beach boys obsessive, even) the 'point' of records, if you will, is music I've never heard before from 1956-1977ish, on the original format.

When I was in America (Austin) a couple of months ago I loaded up on awesome $2-4 records...45s (eg:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kABQ5Kf2SLQ ) and lps (eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyg33xtD5-4 ). I got to hang with fellow record dudes, drink beer, play a huge pile of records I've never heard before, buy the ones I like for barely any cash. Great times.

RSD and the majors can stick their $30+ reissues of common rubbish.  

ps- hope I never get too old to stand up and turn a record over!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »

And then there's the issue of storage space.  Huh.  A no-brainer there....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »

And then there's the issue of storage space.  Huh.  A no-brainer there....

It's not a 'no brainer' at all..how ridiculous. There's no wrong or right answer on this!

If you're into a nice uncluttered life, unburdened by the horror of having to stand up midway through an album, or to occasionally puff a bit of fluff off a needle, then that's cool.

If you're into listening to records on vinyl, that's also cool. No one wins.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

If you're into a nice uncluttered life, unburdened by the horror of having to stand up midway through an album, or to occasionally puff a bit of fluff off a needle, then that's cool. If you're into listening to records on vinyl, that's also cool. No one wins.

Did all that for many, many years, son.  And I was pretty much done with it back in the late 80's, when I started buying CD's.  Then started downloading albums to the hard drive. Only reason I pick up vinyl now is for its collectability, and they remain unplayed.  Had 3 turntables - a Garrard/BIC, a Technics, then a Thorens. Had a Pickering V15 cartridge and a diamond stylus, then got the Thorens turntable with Stanton cartridge and sapphire ruby stylus. Needs a pre-amp to plug into my AV setup with mono-block amps, but I don't bother. Have about 300-500 vinyl albums in storage that I haven't played in many, many years and remain dormant. Also, as many audio enthusiasts get older, their ears don't hear what they use to. Sure, I don't argue that a 160g virgin vinyl record (without snaps, crackles, pops) sounds warmer with the analog sound of the old days, but again, why bother unless they're Classical or Jazz albums. Just ain't worth the effort, inconvenience, and minimal sound difference to me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:55:06 AM by Mikie » Logged

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

If you're into a nice uncluttered life, unburdened by the horror of having to stand up midway through an album, or to occasionally puff a bit of fluff off a needle, then that's cool. If you're into listening to records on vinyl, that's also cool. No one wins.

Did all that for many, many years, son.  And I was pretty much done with it back in the late 80's, when I started buying CD's.  Then started downloading albums to the hard drive. Only reason I pick up vinyl now is for its collectability, and they remain unplayed.  Had 3 turntables - a Garrard/BIC, a Technics, then a Thorens. Had a Pickering V15 cartridge and a diamond stylus, then got the Thorens turntable with Stanton cartridge and sapphire ruby stylus. Needs a pre-amp to plug into my AV setup with mono-block amps, but I don't bother. Have about 300-500 vinyl albums in storage that I haven't played in many, many years and remain dormant. Also, as many audio enthusiasts get older, their ears don't hear what they use to. Sure, I don't argue that a 160g virgin vinyl record (without snaps, crackles, pops) sounds warmer with the analog sound of the old days, but again, why bother unless they're Classical or Jazz albums. Just ain't worth the effort, inconvenience, and minimal sound difference to me.

Gonna be honest with you...I know where I stand on this, and I've already pinned you as someone who has 180gram pressings of standard, common rock albums, rather than having an interest in discovering new (old) unheard, music.

That's cool- not judging you, it's just not how I roll, which would explain why we'd never see eye to eye on this. and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a 'buys 2000 records that came from a Hong Kong radio station for 5p a throw' kind of guy. I did that. Most of them sucked, but I ended up with some lovely sunshine pop (sagittarius, beethoven soul) etc in the shrink, a bunch of asian 'go go' titles, some us christian psych and made a killing when I sold the clean free jazz lps. To me, vinyl is more about picking up stuff I didn't know, having a sense of adventure, than 'collectors' copies of mainstream terds.

Hoarding/taking up that valuable space can be cool too...when I was 16 I found UK copies of every Pearls Before Swine lp, and a US mono first Tim Buckley, for 50p each. As a teenaged Hendrix fan I REALLY didn't get them, but tucked them on the shelf anyway, and once I hit my late twenties, they became big time favourites...

I dunno. Think what you think, but opinions aint facts.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »

I just wish they had either included the CD only reissue tracks (NIGHT BLOOMING JASMINE ON VINYL WOULD BE KILLLER), or put out Imagination instead which has never been a record except for the 45.
Good call! I want this too!

Heck, we got IJWMFTT on vinyl randomly...who put that out?
Was that Friday Music as well? Also need OCA vinyl.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »

nice of the spam guy to reopen this thread as it reminded me that I was playing my IJWMFTT vinyl yesterday and the first couple of songs on side 2 are badly warped, The vinyl arrived with a massive annoying crease in the cover. I should have sent it back...too late now I guess. I only listened to it properly this weekend.

MBE
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

nice of the spam guy to reopen this thread as it reminded me that I was playing my IJWMFTT vinyl yesterday and the first couple of songs on side 2 are badly warped, The vinyl arrived with a massive annoying crease in the cover. I should have sent it back...too late now I guess. I only listened to it properly this weekend.
That's too bad, I hate when that kind of thing happens. It's a good pressing.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »

"Funny" that you mentioned that. The exact thing happened to me. When I picked up my order at the time, the album was still sealed, so one couldn't notice the damage. When I got home I immediately opened it and saw the crease (on the top). I returned it the next day. The seller had another copy ordered, got it 2 days later... we opened the shrinkwrap in the store, and -surprise- again it was damaged. I guess a complete shipment was not treated with care when they shipped it. Another order was placed, but this time there wasn't stock left in The Netherlands, so they had to ship a new package from the U.S.. It took a few weeks, but when it arived fortunately this time the cover was in pristine condition.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »

Considering how much Friday Music charges for these vinyl releases, they should be nothing less than perfect. The only one I've bought so far is the vinyl Monkees Justus.
Lemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »

Brian Wilson Debut Gets Expanded Reissued In May

http://www.musictap.net/2015/03/24/brian-wilson-debut-gets-expanded-reissued-in-may/
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »

Just ordered the IJWMFTT vinyl.  Can you tell me where the crease was so that I can inspect before I open it and return it if need be.  Thanks in advance.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »

Might be worth starting a new thread for this, as it's a CD rather than vinyl.

It looks like the CD is just a case of putting the old CD back in print. The article guesses that the album might be remastered (again) as compared to the 2000 remaster. But if it has the same bonus tracks, I would guess it's more likely just the same disc back in print.

The question is, though, will the two or three incorrect mixes be fixed here as compared to the 2000 CD? I never heard if anyone actually got "corrected" discs back in 2000. I recall reading fixes had been made/submitted. So hopefully this CD will have those fixes. I might pick it up if someone can confirm the correct mixes were used for "Melt Away", "Let It Shine", and one other as I recall. The muddy mix of "Let It Shine" on the 2000 CD is, well, muddy.  LOL So I'd prefer to have the original correct mix (although I guess I have an original 1988 CD too).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2015, 02:20:41 AM »

Just ordered the IJWMFTT vinyl.  Can you tell me where the crease was so that I can inspect before I open it and return it if need be.  Thanks in advance.

The crease is bottom right in 2 places.

BTW I got a new (much better) vinyl player and the record plays fine now. I guess some cheap-ish players dont always handle heavyweight vinyl well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:22:02 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:32 AM »

Thanks My Brother!  I don't see any creases at all (paid particular attention to the bottom right so I may have dodged a bullet here.  Thanks for the reply.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:05 AM »

I forgot how many notable tracks are on this album (at least the B side)

Night Time
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
Rio Grande
+ Love and Mercy
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »

I still want Orange Crate Art on vinyl. And Imagination.
Lemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson/dp/B00004WH69/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1427774769&sr=1-1&keywords=brian+wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx