gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:07:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mixing Smile Sessions Tracks with BWPS Tracks  (Read 7113 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

I've seen a few posters here talk about mixing Smile Sessions tracks, but has anybody here tried mixing Smile Sessions with BWPS tracks?  I'm interested to see how this would work out sonically.  Just for fun I made a mix of SS Heroes & Villains with its counterpart on BWPS-- simple splicing here and there, using the BWPS version as the primary track and swapping the BWPS "I've been in this town so long..." solo part for the stereo SS part, etc.  Sounds pretty ok to my ears.  I wonder what other splicing others might have done between these two albums.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »

Using extracted BWPS vocals (e.g. The DYLW verse vocals) on top of 66/67 era tracks is pretty common if you look around. Purple Chick smile uses some buts here and there for a quick example of a popular version.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »

It never really works that well - 2004 Brian sounds a lot different than 1966/67 Brian, not for a lack of trying, however. While Brian's band members provide exceptional, outstanding b/g vox...the blend is much different than the identifiable BB mix, and it's noticeable. I've learned to take the mythical SMiLE project of the 60s and the reworking of it in the past decade as two different trips. Both remarkable and rewarding in different ways.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »

There was a poster here (not active anymore) who took the BWPS backing tracks (and vocals where needed) and overlaid them with the vintage SMiLE vocals. He shared it with me and it is very interesting.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »

I think this is a pretty enjoyable mashup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ulMHBzd94
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »

I should have mentioned in my previous post, not counting the SMiLE A.D mixes - those are on an entirely different level than your averge fan mix. Wonderful stuff.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »

I'm nearly finished reassembling my definitive Smile.  Aside from literally ONE SECOND of BWPS, the "main album" is all vintage 60's stuff but I included several "remixed" bonus tracks that include the verse vocals from "Do You Like Worms", "Child Is Father To The Man", and "I Wanna Be Around".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:12:44 AM by Phoenix » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »

It never really works that well - 2004 Brian sounds a lot different than 1966/67 Brian, not for a lack of trying, however.

Depends on the audience.  I do like Brian's current voice, but I like it much less when I listen to it right alongside his 60's voice.  The higher he can stay (on the musical scale), the better, IMO.  But to my wife and kids, current Brian just sounds like another Beach Boy.  Even casual BB fans notice the uncanny similarity between the Wilson brothers' voices.  Unless you're a superfan, current Brian might as well be the 4th Wilson brother who sometimes tag-teams lead vocals with the first Wilson brother.

While Brian's band members provide exceptional, outstanding b/g vox...the blend is much different than the identifiable BB mix, and it's noticeable.

Yeah, to me this is more problematic than the change in Brian's voice.  The threshold for this bugging me, however, is pretty low.  When Brian's band is deeper in the mix, I'm okay.  It's when they're out on top or a capella that I think about splicing in the original BB vocals.  I think my real dilemma with both SS and BWPS is that Smile is such a polarizing project for me.  It contains my favorite BB vocals and music, but also some aspects I can't freaking stand.  No other BB album hits me like that.  Example: I love Vegetables but I hate the vegetable chewing sounds, coughing (or whatever that is), etc.  That kind of stuff is what I'd love to be able to edit out, if possible.  No offense to the purists, but I want to hear Smile the way it sounds best to me!

I agree.  Really good.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:16:36 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »

I've seen a few posters here talk about mixing Smile Sessions tracks, but has anybody here tried mixing Smile Sessions with BWPS tracks?  I'm interested to see how this would work out sonically.  Just for fun I made a mix of SS Heroes & Villains with its counterpart on BWPS-- simple splicing here and there, using the BWPS version as the primary track and swapping the BWPS "I've been in this town so long..." solo part for the stereo SS part, etc.  Sounds pretty ok to my ears.  I wonder what other splicing others might have done between these two albums.

Seems to be a pretty common thing, using BWPS to fill in the cracks. Personally, I'm not a fan. I see SMiLE and BWPS as two separate projects from two separate bands with different vocal blends, different instrumentation and different goals (psychedelic modular album vs triumphant stage show.) To me, it's like editing together a Beatles album with a live recording of Paul in concert from the 2000s. Sure, you can do it and maybe it'll sound good, but...why would you want to?

Aside from that, the main reason people seem to mash the two in my experience is to smooth the transitions between the SMiLE tracks to force the BWPS sequence to work. Aside from the fact that I despise the '04 order, it's just not historically accurate. You're shoving a square peg into a round hole, forcing the original recordings to be something they weren't meant to be.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

Seems to be a pretty common thing, using BWPS to fill in the cracks. Personally, I'm not a fan. I see SMiLE and BWPS as two separate projects from two separate bands with different vocal blends, different instrumentation and different goals (psychedelic modular album vs triumphant stage show.) To me, it's like editing together a Beatles album with a live recording of Paul in concert from the 2000s. Sure, you can do it and maybe it'll sound good, but...why would you want to?

Two things.  First, I don't see them as two separate projects, per se.  I see it as a single project with two separate sets of recording sessions by two separate bands.  Second, I'm not necessarily going for continuity.  I'm going for sound.  If what I can produce from the various tracks is cohesive and sounds good, I'm cool with it.  Especially since the people I play my own mash-ups for aren't necessarily BW or BB fans.  I recently created a version of Surf's Up using several tracks from The Smile Sessions (primarily the Brian demo), the album version with Carl as lead, and the BWPS version.  Most posters here could no doubt pick out the transitions between sources, but when I play it in my car with my family or for others, nobody else can.  It's a cohesive, good-sounding mix.  But then again, I have a very liberal philosophy on this type of thing.  Doesn't bug me like it might bug you.  Unless it sounds like crap.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »

Aside from that, the main reason people seem to mash the two in my experience is to smooth the transitions between the SMiLE tracks to force the BWPS sequence to work. Aside from the fact that I despise the '04 order, it's just not historically accurate. You're shoving a square peg into a round hole, forcing the original recordings to be something they weren't meant to be.

But you did start your mix in exactly the same way as BWPS, used BWPS fly-ins to end Cabinessence and used someone else's mix of Look which replicated BWPS vocals with the original sessions, so maybe you 'despise' the 04 order less than you realise?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »

But you did start your mix in exactly the same way as BWPS, used BWPS fly-ins to end Cabinessence and used someone else's mix of Look which replicated BWPS vocals with the original sessions, so maybe you 'despise' the 04 order less than you realise?

What other way is there to begin SMiLE if not Prayer leading into H&V?

Point taken on the others, though in my 'defense' I plan on going "authentic" for CE and Look in my updated mix. 

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »

Your mix went from Our Prayer to Gee to Heroes and Villains which is a very specific replication of the start of BWPS. I have no problem with that but it surprises me that you're so critical of the BWPS order when it's clearly influenced your own mix in several places.

Anyway, surely there are infinite other ways to begin Smile, other than Our Prayer leading into H&V?  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:28:23 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »

Two things.  First, I don't see them as two separate projects, per se.  I see it as a single project with two separate sets of recording sessions by two separate bands.  Second, I'm not necessarily going for continuity.  I'm going for sound.  If what I can produce from the various tracks is cohesive and sounds good, I'm cool with it.  Especially since the people I play my own mash-ups for aren't necessarily BW or BB fans.  I recently created a version of Surf's Up using several tracks from The Smile Sessions (primarily the Brian demo), the album version with Carl as lead, and the BWPS version.  Most posters here could no doubt pick out the transitions between sources, but when I play it in my car with my family or for others, nobody else can.  It's a cohesive, good-sounding mix.  But then again, I have a very liberal philosophy on this type of thing.  Doesn't bug me like it might bug you.  Unless it sounds like crap.

Do your thing, man. There are no universal rules to a SMiLE Mix. I just prefer to use the material from the original sessions.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

Your mix went from Smile to Gee to Heroes and Villains which is a very specific replication of the start of BWPS. I have no problem with that but it surprises me that you're so critical of the BWPS order when it's clearly influenced your own mix in several places.

Anyway, surely there's infinite other ways to begin Smile, other than Our Prayer leading into H&V? 

Yeah, I suppose if you wanted to begin with say, Wonderful instead there's nothing saying you can't. I personally can't imagine anything else but H&V kicking off the LP. It's a time honored "standard" of SMiLE mixes I personally agree with. I'm also considering removing Gee from my update as well. Someone here said to follow up Prayer with Gee was somewhat anticlimactic and I tend to agree the more I think about it. I removed the other throwback songs (YAMS/IWBA) so it doesn't make much sense to keep Gee anyway.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »

To me, it's like editing together a Beatles album with a live recording of Paul in concert from the 2000s. Sure, you can do it and maybe it'll sound good, but...why would you want to?

And to pick up on this point, it's not the same at all. The whole point about BWPS is that it adds lyrics, melodies and new vocal parts to the original sessions, so it's inevitable that fanmixers would blend parts of BWPS with the 66/67 material to help fill in the blanks.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »

Your mix went from Smile to Gee to Heroes and Villains which is a very specific replication of the start of BWPS. I have no problem with that but it surprises me that you're so critical of the BWPS order when it's clearly influenced your own mix in several places.

Anyway, surely there's infinite other ways to begin Smile, other than Our Prayer leading into H&V? 

Yeah, I suppose if you wanted to begin with say, Wonderful instead there's nothing saying you can't. I personally can't imagine anything else but H&V kicking off the LP. It's a time honored "standard" of SMiLE mixes I personally agree with. I'm also considering removing Gee from my update as well. Someone here said to follow up Prayer with Gee was somewhat anticlimactic and I tend to agree the more I think about it. I removed the other throwback songs (YAMS/IWBA) so it doesn't make much sense to keep Gee anyway.

Yes Our Prayer into Gee into H&V is one of the things about the 04 sequence that I'm not so into either. It's like two intros before H&V - intro overkill. Plus Our Prayer just never worked as a precursor to H&V for me anyway. Two totally different moods. I can understand why Gee was put there though as musically it does smooth the transition between Prayer and Heroes.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:14 AM »

To me, it's like editing together a Beatles album with a live recording of Paul in concert from the 2000s. Sure, you can do it and maybe it'll sound good, but...why would you want to?

And to pick up on this point, it's not the same at all. The whole point about BWPS is that it adds lyrics, melodies and new vocal parts to the original sessions, so it's inevitable that fanmixers would blend parts of BWPS with the 66/67 material to help fill in the blanks.

And a live recording may have things changed around from the original studio record. Again, nothing stopping people mixing em up if they choose to. I prefer to keep them separate. Enjoy each on it's own merits. Just my opinion

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »

Yes Our Prayer into Gee into H&V is one of the things about the 04 sequence that I'm not so into either. It's like two intros before H&V - intro overkill. Plus Our Prayer just never worked as a precursor to H&V for me anyway. Two totally different moods. I can understand why Gee was put there though as musically it does smooth the transition between Prayer and Heroes.

I'm thinking of replacing it with the acapella bridge to Indians and trumpet (from the end of Gee) parts of H&V.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

01  "Heroes And Villains"
02  "Our Prayer" into "Good Vibrations"
03  "Good Vibrations"
04  "You're Welcome" into "Heroes And Villians"
05  "You're Welcome" into "Good Vibrations"
06  "You're Welcome" into "Do You Like Worms" (my personal favorite)
07  "Do You Like Worms"
08  "Our Prayer" into "Look"
09  "You're Welcome" into "Look"
10  "Look"

Other than the "Our Prayer" session, which IN MY OPINION is not hard evidence, there isn't any hard evidence what would be the "opening" of SMiLE - because it never came out!!! Unless you believe BWPS... Grin Shocked police
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »

01  "Heroes And Villains"
02  "Our Prayer" into "Good Vibrations"
03  "Good Vibrations"
04  "You're Welcome" into "Heroes And Villians"
05  "You're Welcome" into "Good Vibrations"
06  "You're Welcome" into "Do You Like Worms" (my personal favorite)
07  "Do You Like Worms"
08  "Our Prayer" into "Look"
09  "You're Welcome" into "Look"
10  "Look"

Other than the "Our Prayer" session, which IN MY OPINION is not hard evidence, there isn't any hard evidence what would be the "opening" of SMiLE - because it never came out!!! Unless you believe BWPS... Grin Shocked police

Well, I disagree on the Prayer session tapes not being hard evidence. IMO, a recording of Brian circa '66 literally saying "this the intro to the album" is about as concrete as it gets.

But, like I've been saying there's no rules and I'm glad to see alternative ideas to the BWPS/TSS sequence, so your list intrigues me.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »

I personally think that by taking a bit of both historical and musical interests into account, Smile opens best with "Our Prayer" > "Heroes and Villains."  Try as I might to get into it, I agree with buddhahat - including "Gee" just feels like one too many intros.

That said, the first time I saw someone suggest playing "Prayer" into "Good Vibrations" (I think it was somebody on this very forum, in fact), I decided to give it a shot.  Wow!  When the fading angelic strains of "Prayer" are met with Carl's breathless "I..." and the keys at the start of "Vibes"?  Well, it's simply beautiful.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »

I personally think that by taking a bit of both historical and musical interests into account, Smile opens best with "Our Prayer" > "Heroes and Villains."  Try as I might to get into it, I agree with buddhahat - including "Gee" just feels like one too many intros.

That said, the first time I saw someone suggest playing "Prayer" into "Good Vibrations" (I think it was somebody on this very forum, in fact), I decided to give it a shot.  Wow!  When the fading angelic strains of "Prayer" are met with Carl's breathless "I..." and the keys at the start of "Vibes"?  Well, it's simply beautiful.

You know, I usually don't like to include GV on my SMiLE mixes, but I can definitely see that sounding awesome.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head. I suppose I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Also, I think BWPS and Smile should be kept separate.
Perhaps I'm one of the purists, but I like Smile being kept historically accurate.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head. I suppose I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Also, I think BWPS and Smile should be kept separate.
Perhaps I'm one of the purists, but I like Smile being kept historically accurate.

I gotta say, in addition to my updated version of SMiLE: Reflections I think I might try my hand at another, as historically accurate as possible mix. I'll follow Judd's Tracklisting in another thread, but begin H&V with You're Welcome and GV on side two with Prayer. You guys have convinced me.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx