gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 09:35:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mixing Smile Sessions Tracks with BWPS Tracks  (Read 7156 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head.

And, I'll bet you've heard it on BWPS! Grin

Seriously, I actually like "Our Prayer" into "Good Vibrations", but as a possible opening of SMiLE. I just can't accept it a closing. Shocked Sad

But, you know what, I like "Our Prayer" where it is on BWPS - specifically as the second last song on SMiLE - but I then close with "Surf's Up". Have I mentioned that before? police
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:54:53 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head. I suppose I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Also, I think BWPS and Smile should be kept separate.
Perhaps I'm one of the purists, but I like Smile being kept historically accurate.

I gotta say, in addition to my updated version of SMiLE: Reflections I think I might try my hand at another, as historically accurate as possible mix. I'll follow Judd's Tracklisting in another thread, but begin H&V with You're Welcome and GV on side two with Prayer. You guys have convinced me.

Now we're talking!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head.

Seriously, I actually like "Our Prayer" into "Good Vibrations", but as a possible opening of SMiLE. I just can't accept it a closing. Shocked Sad

But, you know what, I like "Our Prayer where it is on BWPS - as the second last song on SMiLE - but I then close with "Surf's Up". Have I mentioned that before? police

Actually, I've never heard BWPS. I've always planned on doing it, but why would I do that when I have the 1966/7 version.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »

But, you know what, I like "Our Prayer where it is on BWPS - as the second last song on SMiLE - but I then close with "Surf's Up". Have I mentioned that before? police

Actually, I've never heard BWPS. I've always planned on doing it, but why would I do that when I have the 1966/7 version.

Wow, I'm very surprised. May I ask why...or why not? Elaborate?
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »

I've always heard "Our Prayer" going really well as intro to "Good Vibrations" in my head. I suppose I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Perhaps I'm one of the purists, but I like Smile being kept historically accurate.

I gotta say, in addition to my updated version of SMiLE: Reflections I think I might try my hand at another, as historically accurate as possible mix. I'll follow Judd's Tracklisting in another thread, but begin H&V with You're Welcome and GV on side two with Prayer. You guys have convinced me.

Now we're talking!

It makes sense now in this context...the lyric "Well, you're welcome to come!" Then beginning this journey across America on Side One. A prayer and then celebrating 'good vibrations' (read: feelings) kicking off Side Two...music people can pray to.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »

Well, I had been a Beach Boys fan for about a year when I (surprisingly) first became aware of Smile - it having just been released as TSS. So, I never had to rely on BWPS to get my authentic album fill. I own BWPS and it's been sitting on one of my shelves next to my other CDs (and, to be honest, I do take a while to get to stuff), but I just haven't gotten there yet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:59:11 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »

Now we're talking!

It makes sense now in this context...the lyric "Well, you're welcome to come!" Then beginning this journey across America on Side One.

Totally 1000000000% agree. I've been using "You're Welcome" for years FOR THAT VERY REASON. "You're Welcome" is a PERFECT opener, lyrically and it SOUNDS like an opening track. Now if I can convince you to follow "You're Welcome" with "Do You Like Worms", I'll be happy! Cheesy
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

Well, I had been a Beach Boys fan for about a year when I (surprisingly) first became aware of Smile - it having just been released as TSS. So, I never had to rely on BWPS to get my authentic album fill. I own BWPS and it's been sitting on one of my shelves next to my other CDs (and, to be honest, I do take a while to get to stuff), but I just haven't gotten there yet.

That's some weird, wild stuff...I can't wait to hear/read your opinion of BWPS when you listen to it AFTER the 1966-67 SMiLE sessions.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

Now we're talking!

It makes sense now in this context...the lyric "Well, you're welcome to come!" Then beginning this journey across America on Side One.

Totally 1000000000% agree. I've been using "You're Welcome" for years FOR THAT VERY REASON. "You're Welcome" is a PERFECT opener, lyrically and it SOUNDS like an opening track. Now if I can convince you to follow "You're Welcome" with "Do You Like Worms", I'll be happy! Cheesy

Haha. I'll give it a listen, and all. But (as far as I'm concerned) if SMiLE had come out in '67 it would've had H&V, VT, GV and SU as its various openers/closers. Of that, im as positive as anybody can be regarding SMiLE.

Side 1
01. You're Welcome
02. Heroes and Villains
03. Do You Like Worms
04. Cabin Essence
05. The Elements (Fire, Second Day [as Air AND Water], Workshop)
06. Vega-Tables

Side 2
01. Prayer
02. Good Vibrations
03. Wind Chimes
04. Wonderful/He Gives Speeches
05. Child Is Father Of The Man
06. Surf's Up

^Something like this, maybe... Running no longer than 40 minutes (ideally at 35)

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »

That's exactly how my Smile goes. Side One: You're Welcome -> H&V. Side Two: Prayer -> GV.

It took me since 1995 to do it, but as of February 2013 I have had a personal version of Smile that has kept me 100% satisfied for longer than a week. It's now been over a FULL YEAR and it still stands up for me. I never thought that would happen.

I also use BWPS vocals for the verses of Worms - that's the only place that happens.

I also use a few amazing bits from other posters (soniclovenoise I think, backwards Beatles guy probably...hard to remember where they came from) - the brilliant fly-ins (1,000 times better than the ones on the Smile Sessions) for Barnyard and IIGS.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »

This is a mix of the 66 sessions with the BWPS version of Surf's Up and to me it is the most complete and definitive version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVENkH7s1eQ
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »

I am personally not a fan of it, sorry guys.

If it didn't exist between 66-69, then it was never meant to be.  ;_;

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx