gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:04:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #18: Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"  (Read 44149 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

One of my favorite albums by the band, and IMHO criminally underrated. There's not a track I don't like. The album may be disjointed, but IMHO it shows each facet of the band's sound. I just wish Brian's vocals on the three songs he was on were mixed louder. I actually prefer this to Surf's Up...the highs on this album don't reach as high, but there's not a track I skip.

8. Make It Good- For years, I didn't like this song. These days, I have grown to like it a lot, if not quite love it. My wife once said it made her think of  'When the Tigers Broke Free '. Doesn't really go anywhere, and the sound is a bit squashed, but even lower-quality Dennis is better than most work by non-Beach Boys. IMHO
7. Hold On Dear Brother- Love the vocals on this.
6.- Here She Comes- Love the bass on this cut; I don't care if this is more of a Flame v BB song, I love it.
5. He Come Down- Much like 'Anna Lee The Healer', the piano on this cut makes me think of Vince Guaraldi. One of two tracks featuring heavy Brian involvent (vocally and production-wise)
4. Cuddle Up- Love love LOVE this song, although I sometimes get tired of telling people that Brian is NOT on the song. Cool
3. Mess of Help- For some reason Carl's vocals on this make me think of a Dr Hook song. This is the other song on the album that Brian co-produced, and is all over the track vocally.
2. Marcella- The third song Brian is on vocally (on the tag), and only song featuring Bruce (the high harmonies early on)
1. All This is That- my favorite Brian-less song, and one of my favorite songs period. And as good as the recorded version was, the live version at the C50 show I went to last year tops it
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by Ducks...yet ANOTHER white meat » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

1. He Come Down
What about other tracks? Would be interesting to see at least your rankings, if not the short descriptions. Anyhow, HCD rules!

ha, okay ...

1. He Come Down (honestly, I think this is the most BW-sounding track here ... goofiness intact!)
2. Make it Good
3. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
4. Hold on Dear Brother
5. Marcella
6. Here She Comes
7. All This is That
8. Cuddle Up

I think this is one of the group's better albums, I prefer it to Surf's Up or Holland these days ... more honest in it's fragmented nature.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:55:00 PM by DonnyL » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »

1. He Come Down (honestly, I think this is the most BW-sounding track here ... goofiness intact!)

It certainly has the most BW involvement.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

One of my favorite albums by the band, and IMHO criminally underrated. There's not a track I don't like. The album may be disjointed, but IMHO it shows each facet of the band's sound. I just wish Brian's vocals on the three songs he was on were mixed louder. I actually prefer this to Surf's Up...the highs on this album don't reach as high, but there's not a track I skip.

8. Make It Good- For years, I didn't like this song. These days, I have grown to like it a lot, if not quite love it. My wife once said it made her think of  'When the Tigers Broke Free '. Doesn't really go anywhere, and the sound is a bit squashed, but even lower-quality Dennis is better than most work by non-Beach Boys. IMHO
7. Hold On Dear Brother- Love the vocals on this.
6.- Here She Comes- Love the bass on this cut; I don't care if this is more of a Flame v BB song, I love it.
5. He Come Down- Much like 'Anna Lee The Healer', the piano on this cut makes me think of Vince Guaraldi. One of two tracks featuring heavy Brian involvent (vocally and production-wise)
4. Cuddle Up- Love love LOVE this song, although I sometimes get tired of telling people that Brian is NOT on the song. Cool
3. Mess of Help- For some reason Carl's vocals on this make me think of a Dr Hook song. This is the other song on the album that Brian co-produced, and is all over the track vocally.
2. Marcella- The third song Brian is on vocally (on the tag), and only song featuring Bruce (the high harmonies early on)
1. All This is That- my favorite Brian-less song, and one of my favorite songs period. And as good as the recorded version was, the live version at the C50 show I went to last year tops it

The C50 version of "All This Is That" is gorgeous. What a great version. And Brian sounds positively amazing doing Carl's parts.

It certainly has the most BW involvement.

You really think this has more BW involvement than "Mess of Help" and "Marcella"?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »

Actually , it was confirmed to me that it does. Brian worked his ass off on that and was one of the last times Brian produced a song for the BB to that extent , if not THE last time. He also contributed piano and (allegedly) percussion, although I have my doubts about the latter. He did quite a bit of work on 'Mess of Help' as well, but not quite as much.

Brian's involvement on the recorded version of Marcella was limited to his vocal cameo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:30:03 PM by Ducks...yet ANOTHER white meat » Logged

B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »

1. Marcella
2. All This is That
3. You Need a Mess of Help
4. Here She Comes
5. Hold on Dear Brother
6. Cuddle Up

7. Make it Good
8. He Come Down
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 05:55:11 AM »

Three masterpices:

Marcella
      Cuddle Up
      All This Is That

Two very good:

You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
       He Come Down

Three  terrible:

Make It Good
         Hold On Dear Brother
         Here She Comes

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:59:07 AM by Sunflowerpet » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »

Man, I really hate these threads. As a Beach Boys fan, I basically love everything they did, up til about '78 when the patchiness kicked in. It's such a joyless pursuit to go 'ooh, well actually I think I don't really like that middle eight, so I'll rank that a notch below' etc. It's all good, It's prime era Beach Boys!

I swear on my life, til I saw these threads, I'd never, ever had a negative thought about ANY track pre MIU.

Anyway...the thing that inspired this rant? Make it Good. It's one of my favourite pieces of music by anyone, ever. Not being structured like a pop song doesn't take a thing away from it. It's like a tone poem, or a magical spell...pure art and emotion. It's not overblown, it's magnificent. If you don't like it, I pity you, because there's something missing in your soul.

That is all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:07:45 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »

Actually , it was confirmed to me that it does. Brian worked his ass off on that and was one of the last times Brian produced a song for the BB to that extent , if not THE last time. He also contributed piano and (allegedly) percussion, although I have my doubts about the latter.

I love learning new things here. I agree with DonnyL - "He Come Down" has always struck me as a Brian thing through and through. To see it confirmed is pretty cool. Anyway, here's my rankings. I love this album and agree it's underrated. Not a bad track in the bunch. I only wish there were a few more.

A+
Marcella
You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone

A
He Come Down
All This Is That

B+
Make It Good
Cuddle Up
Hold On Dear Brother
Here She Comes

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »

A solid 100+ of an album! Sounds like both The Beach Boys we know and love and some scrappy indie-band all at the same time.... I love each and every second of this album equally and fully.

I don't care who produced (or didn't produce) what, or who sang where or what or whatnot. This is an absolute gem of an album and would be considered the greatest work of any other band.... LOVE IT!
Nicko1234
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 02:01:24 AM »

1, All This is That

2, Marcella
3, Cuddle Up
4, Mess of Help
5, He Come Down
6, Make it Good

7, Hold on Dear Brother
8, Here She Comes (these last two shouldn't have been included)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »

A solid 100+ of an album! Sounds like both The Beach Boys we know and love and some scrappy indie-band all at the same time.... I love each and every second of this album equally and fully.

I don't care who produced (or didn't produce) what, or who sang where or what or whatnot. This is an absolute gem of an album and would be considered the greatest work of any other band.... LOVE IT!

I'm 100% with you! It's such an exceptional album, very unusual and somewhat patchy yet it still has a very special mood all of its own.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »

Coming off the heels of the exceptional Surf's Up, it was a major let down. While it was released with PS as a bonus, it still fell short of the mark we were all expecting. Here was the  opportunity to keep the momentum going forward and we got a sub-par effort. Mess of Help, Marcella, and All This Is That were excellent with the rest being heartbreakingly mundane. While Holland definitely reclaimed some of the greatness, it would have fared better had CATP not been released.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »

Oh, I can absolutely see why it was considered a letdown when it came out. I still absolutely love it and I don't think "He Come Down" and DW's contributions qualify as mundane.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

1. marcella (classic Brian)
2.Cuddle up (This one is a song that touches my heart and brings me to tears)
3.Mess of help (good song)
4.all this is that (Catchy tune)
5.make it good (mellow)
6.he come down (bad lyrics decent melody)
7.hold on dear brother (This would be better if it was about Brian with Carl singing it telling Him to hold on dear brotherr, but as it is,it's boring)
8.here she comes (worst song on the album)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »

1. All This Is That - Awesome. Great group harmony and Carl's lead is stupendous. His swooping vocal on the end is one of the truly jaw-dropping moments in the Beach Boys discography.
2. Marcella - Classy all the way. I just love it. Go Brian!
3. Cuddle Up - Dennis' heart dreaming on multi-track. Beautiful.
4. You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone - Rockin' n' very strong track.
5. Make It Good - More than good! Great, really. Not as lovely as 'Cuddle Up', but almost there.
6. Hold On Dear Brother - The better of the two Chaplin/Fataar tracks, and I kinda rather like it. Dunno why.
7. Here She Comes - Like it okay. But...eh.
8. He Come Down - Don't get this one, really. Maybe someday.

Uh, pretty solid I guess! Uneven, but in a good way.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 09:54:54 PM »

1. All This Is That - One of my all-time favorite BB songs--no idea how such an exceptional BB song like this arrived on a mediocre BB album like this...
2. Cuddle Up - The melodramatic teen in me loves the lyrics and strings, but all of me can't get enough of the simple piano interlude that follows the first chorus.
3. Hold On Dear Brother - I discovered this album at the right time in my life, for this song gave me comfort ("What can I love that isn't you? But you never understand inside of me...".  Blondie's best vocals.
4. Make It Good - I like how the music and Dennis' voice interact throughout the song.  Seems heartfelt.
5. Here She Comes - This doesn't even sound like the BB to me--but whatever, it grooves.
6. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone - Can't really stand Carl's vocals on this track; the groove makes the track passable.
7. Marcella - Can't really stand any of the vocals on this whole song, but I do like the neato guitar-work.
8. He Come Down - Nah, just stay up there.

P.S. This is my first post! Glad to be here. Smiley

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

1.Marcella: Just an all around great song.
2.All This Is That: It was this song that got me into the album. It's oh-so nice and melodic. I'm glad they still do it live.
3.Cuddle Up: One of Dennis' finest moments on record. Absolutely fantastic.
4.Here She Comes: One of many great rockers on this album, and probably the best Fataar/Chaplin composition on a Beach Boys record.

5.He Come Down: Probably tied for fourth with Here She Comes, but the latter is just a bit better. This is probably the most fun sounding songs on the album, and I like that a lot.
6.You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone : This ones alright. The vocals I think could be better, but it still works.

7.Make It Good: I used to really like this song, but upon more recent listens, it just seems a bit too free form (if those are the right words). There isn't much real structure to it. There's no denying its power though.
8.Hold On Dear Brother: Never has been a favorite of mine. Just sorta drags along. Not the best start to side 2.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »

2.All This Is That: It was this song that got me into the album.
Yet you ranked it as #2, not No.1.

Yes. I did. "All This Is That" got me into the album, but once I started to listen to the album as a whole, I realized that I found "Marcella" a bit more enjoyable. Tastes change, and who knows? Tomorrow "Make It Good" might shoot up into my top 5.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »

From Worst To Best:

8. He Come Down.
7. Hold On Dear Brother.
6. Marcella.
5. Make It Good.
4. Here She Comes.
3. All This Is That.
2. Cuddle Up.
1. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »

He Come Down- Much like 'Anna Lee The Healer', the piano on this cut makes me think of Vince Guaraldi.
           Whoa,  Billy - Vince Guaraldi.  Cool for Cats - Dougie, Let's Dance that Boogie-Woogie!  Are you into bossa nova/samba as well?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:21:36 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

I liked what Roger The Shrubber had to say.  He lined them up as tracked.  Sheriff John Stone, DonnyL and Billy too.  I agree.  There are no bad tracks, but the rule says order -so order I will.  This record had power under the needle and lots of soul.  
1.  Cuddle Up - Dennis didn't get any better than this, as good, but not better.
2.  You Need A Mess Of Help - Carl's vocal is fantastic.  The tack piano, perfect.  I did a mix-tape with Please Let Us Go On This Way as a follow.  Worked well.
3.  All This Is That - What happened to this Mike?  He had such a gentle soul.  I saw them play this back in the '70's, and it's hard to believe they bettered it last year - I'll have to check Youtube.  I miss Carl, very very very much.
4.  Make It Good - I saw someone say "a tone poem" yes, that fits.  I hear Wagner in this too.  Even Beethoven.  Love the way the music goes up and up.  This is where they should have put (Wouldn't It Be Nice to) Live Again.  And some of the other stuff Dennis was doing in his solo sessions.  I'm working on a mix-tape now - MIC is a great tool. Grin They could have been much more progressive with this project.  In my top ten favorite Dennis numbers.  It did not bother me that he wrote so many love songs, the Wilson's were soul love. LOL  And, when he wanted, he would hand off the vocal to Carl, even when he could do it just as well.
5.  He Come Down - Yes Yes Yes, this Rocks!  So hard to put this, and the rest, at the end of the list.  The Gospel, according to Brian.  And Mike, Al and Blondie.  They are all soulin'.  The Beach Boys Maharishi-Sanctified Heavenly Chorale indeed.  I love all the TM tracks through this period, '68-'72.  
6.  Marcella - oh, man all the way down here.  Really good live.  And remember all you Jack haters, he helped write this.
7.  Her She Comes - Love the drums up front.
8.  Hold On Dear Brother - There may be a reason that these last two are making the bottom of most lists...But not because Ricky and Blondie didn't put their heart and soul into them.  How many times did I use the word soul doing this?  Not enough.
     The vocals on this record are some of the very best they ever recorded.  I'm sure Brian, and all of them were very proud to present this.  Then it sunk like a stone.  I prefer to say that rock  skipped ever so lightly over the waves.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:58:11 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

1. All This Is That - 347 (19)
2. Marcella - 338 (15)
3. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone - 322 (10)
4. Cuddle Up - 289 (7)
5. Here She Comes - 185.5 (2)
6. He Come Down - 168 (1)
7. Make It Good - 167
8. Hold on Dear Brother - 127.5

My thoughts?  Surprisingly, this album had the most lists of all.  I think I would have preferred either Marcella or Mess of Help to get top spot, but All This is That was the reasonable choice.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

1. You Need A Mess Of A Help To Stand Alone- one of their best rockers.
2. Cuddle Up- beautiful.
3. Here She Comes- groovy.
4. Hold On Dear Brother- cool.
5. All this is that- cool as well.
6. Marcella- a bit over produced but not mixed very well.
7. He came down- not bad but good have been better.
8. Make It Good- um, What ever you're singing about Dennis, I'm sure it's beautiful. I'm sure it'll grow on me.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

1 all this is that... Hands down best track on this album. Al, Carl & Mike...love it
2. Marcella
3. Mess of help
4.  Cuddle up
5. He come down
6.  Hold on dear brother (
7. Here she comes ( why is Ricky's vocal buried?
8. Make it good i love Dennis but this song never did it for me
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx