gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:07:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #18: Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"  (Read 44144 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:50 AM »

Wonderful album, easily in my personal top 10 of BB records.

1. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
2. Cuddle Up - always reminds me of the very best of Morricone
3. Marcella - fantastic song and production, would love to read/hear some of the original lyrics
4. He Come Down - like a precursor of "That Same Song"
5. Make It Good - sort of underrated, to me it sounds very POB in a way
6. All This Is That - just plain gorgeous
7. Hold On, Dear Brother - at first I thought they were singing about Brian, which of course they're not - anyway, it's a good song
8. Here She Comes - probably the most unlikely song to bear the BB name - personally I really like it!

The "new guys" did pretty fine on this, although they clearly couldn't rival the songwriting abilities of BW, DW, or even Alan Jardine.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:06 AM »

A patchy one, but boasting the second best cover art in the canon (after KTSA).

In order:

1) Marcella - love this track; funky, rockin' and this album's Sail on Sailor (with a little Break away thrown in).  I first heard this track out of context on Ten Years of Harmony many years before I heard the full album, blown away and remain so after hearing the album sequence (although think they should have kicked off with it)

2) Cuddle Up - massive; a watershed for DW's and DD's collaborations, and Mr Desper's production makes it even more so - a close place for number 1, and hopefully a "study video" is in the making

3) Mess - love the insistent tack piano and it just keeps gettin' better, love it

4) All this is that - 2nd best TM song by these guys or anyone and a great number; a great Mike lead and Carl absolutely fantastic.  A gift to hear it during C50 and included on the concert vid.  I've always loved Robert Frost's poem; beautiful here and the poem was used years later to influence the Archie marries Veronica/Betty series.

5) Make it Good / He Come Down - both songs have a lot to offer, and I want to like them more than I do; which is to say they're OK/alright but don't really gel as much as the others.  Daring production and ideas on both, but just not as "there", I guess

6) Here She Comes - kickin' intro builds an expectation, which evaporates as the first verse comes together and the song decides to never end.  All to their own, but I think a lot of the +noise about this track comes from it's (undelivered) promise of a groove - it's certainly out-grooved and sent to bed by Marcella

7) Hold on Dear Brother - next...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:50:50 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »

Together with Holland my favourite era of the BB. Here we go:

1. Marcella - God, I love this tune, but the live version is much much better. They simply rocked! Carl shines on this one.
2. Cuddle Up - gives me goosebumps every time. Dennis had a lot of soul.
3. Here She Comes - a great Fataar/Chaplin production. The drums sound maybe a bit too heavy, but I really dig Ricky's sound. The bridge starting at 1:52 is one of the finest moments on the album (especially the piano part).
4. All This Is That - love the vocals. Wonderful song.
5. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone - a nice rockin' tune with some lovely piano and guitars.
6. He Come Down - I like the gospel idea behind it. Sounds like they had a lot of fun doing this one. Great vocals from Mike!
7. Hold On Dear Brother - another fine Fataar/Chaplin production. The guitar is simply beautiful.
8. Make It Good - I somehow can't get into this one. On the upside, it features Dennis.

The 72-74 was their live peak. It's too bad In Concert features so many 'oldies'. Also, 6 of the 8 songs have been played live. Now, if we only get to hear them in excellent quality one day...
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »

This is the easiest to rank so far for me.

1 - All This Is That - one of the many highlights of last year's tour.
2 - Cuddle Up - mostly gorgeous, especially the instrumental middle section going up to the haunting harmonies of the final verse (I do find the (final) chorus (in particular) a *little* intense)
3 - Marcella - rocks
4 - Hold On Dear Brother - love the emotion in Blondie's vocals here 'I need your lo-o-o-ve...'

5 - Mess of Help - pretty cool

6 - Make It Good - a bit too intense for me
7 - Here She Comes - its alright, but a little bland
8 - He Come Down - I prefer it when Mike preaches the virtues of surfing

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:34 AM »

01.  Cuddle Up
02.  Marcella
03.  All This Is That
04.  Hold On Dear Brother
05.  You Need A Mess Of Help
06.  Make It Good
07.  He Came Down
08.  Here She Comes
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:16 AM »

The biggest album-to-album quality drop in the history of the band, and that's saying something. Bizarrely overrated by certain fans.

True, certainly in terms of available material. After the songwriting bonanza of Sunflower and Surf's Up, and adding two additional songwriters, they could only come up with eight tracks for their next record? And nine for Holland?

Er,

1. Cuddle Up
2. Mess O' Help (a sucker for raucous banjo on pop records, and the tag is dynamite)
3. Here She Comes (Don't get the hate. Bass is cracking. Blondie Chaplin, man.)
4. Marcella (prefer the live version, this one is too 'produced' which is a strange criticism for this band. It saps a lot of energy from it)
5. All This Is That (slight, but gorgeous. Carl slays it)
6. Hold On Dear Brother (meh attempt at CSNY country rock)
7. He Came Down (fuckin' Maharishi. Histrionic. If you want evidence for BW's ever-weird id surviving the 'recluse' era in one song, this would be it. Who else?)
8. Make It Good (does everything that Cuddle Up does, but wrong. No dynamics to justify that splendour, unlike the former, it's just constantly surging and its only recourse for more drama, as Dennis was shooting for with this stuff, is to go discordant and louder. Definitely the worst Dennis song)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

All This is That
Marcella
Cuddle Up
You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
He Come Down
Make it Good
Here she Comes
Hold on, Dear Brother
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »

First of all, lets clear this up. Surf's Up has 10 track, this has 8, and everyone declares this too short, yes?
Surfs Up: 33:51
CATP - "ST": 34:20
Stick that in your Mike Love sized pipe and smoke it!

Anyhoo...

1) Cuddle Up - THAT is emotional Power
2) All This Is That - Would be 1) if CU didn't mean so much to me
3) Here She Comes - Brilliant work by Fataar and Chaplin - so out of the ordinary for the boys yet feeling so right.
4) Marcella - Classic Brian
5) You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone - Dislike the tag as a Middle 8, but it'll do
6) He Come Down - THOSE LYRICS... UGH
7) Hold On Dear Brother - tad too long
Cool Make It Good - Have never understood a word Dennis is singing.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »

1. All This is That
2. Marcella
3. Cuddle Up
4. Make it Good
5. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
6. Here She Comes
7. Hold On Dear Brother
8. He Come Down
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

1. All this is that - One of the best Beach boys songs ever and the best one NOT written by Brian and stellar live this summer- the highlight of the how for me!
2.  Marcella - A great Brian song on a not so great album.
3. Hold on dear brother - For some reason I really love this song.
4.You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone - A great Brian song with a great Brian sentiment....

5. Cuddle up - Good production - sketch of a song
6. Here She Comes - Eh - this is where the album drops in quality for me.
7. He Come Down - Great vocals from Mike!
8. Make It Good - I don't love it....
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »

1. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone - Is 'Til I Die Brians last great song? Forget it!
2. He Come Down - Mike is epic creepy. Al is KILLING on the "Down, down, down" vocals. Great work by Brian arranging those amazing "Yes I believe in"-vocals. Fantastic Mike/Al/Brian-song.
3. All This is That - The intro is just amazing. I was so grateful when they played it in Gothenburg last year.
4. Make It Good - I feel Lion King vibes from this song - 22 years before the fact! Take that Elton!
5. Cuddle Up - If you are unhappy in love and listening to this, your heart is gonna get beaten up.
6. Here She Comes - The B-Section rocks.
7. Marcella - Only the last minute is interesting.
8. Hold On, Dear Brother - Too slow. Can't stand listening to this song sometimes.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

"All This is That", "Mess O' Help", "Marcella" are top-shelf songs. I also really like "Here She Comes", especially the "Listen, listen, hear the music play..." section! I'd probably like "He Come Down" if it didn't have such repulsive lyrics. Dennis's two songs are underdeveloped and overproduced, and as far as I'm concerned his only missteps in an era when he was the group's greatest songwriting asset. (Though "Cuddle Up" is a bit better than "Make It Good", even if both are a bit histrionic...) "Hold On Dear Brother" isn't a bad song per se but I don't really ever desire listening to it.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »

1. All This Is That - great intro with that almost sinister bass rumbling along, playing an E note despite the A and D chords. And then the little bass lick before the lyrics start. Magic.

2. You Need A Mess Of Help - has a song containing banjo and fiddle ever rocked harder? Love the lyrics, love the gritty vocals

3. Marcella - would've gone higher on the list if there had been a definitive version. Studio version is too held back but features better (imo) harmonies than the live version. Live version rocks harder but I think the start/stop drum pattern during the solo makes the song stumble

4. Cuddle Up - terrific build-up and breakdown

5. He Come Down - love it. "Hey yon doo come a-nauga ton" indeed.

6. Make It Good - too short, but very emotional

7. Here She Comes

8. Hold On Dear Brother - the last two songs on my list don't do anything for me, and I really like We Got Love and Leaving This Town.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:53:53 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:06 AM »

1) Mess
2) All this is that
3) Make it good
4) Marcella
5) Cuddle Up
6) He Came Down
7) Here she comes
Cool Hold on dear brother

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »

1 "Marcella": classic Beach Boys, could've used more audible Brian vocals which may have helped it chart, because it really did have "The Beach Boys" sound, albeit a '70s version
2 "All This Is That": beautiful song, beautiful vocals by Carl and Mike
3 "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone": used to be my favorite from the album, but I gotta admit Carl's gritty vocals sometimes sound goofy to me
4 "Here She Comes": it doesn't really sound like "The Beach Boys" to me, but its a sturdy piece of early '70s mellow rock and roll
5 "Cuddle Up": better than "Make It Good" in that there is actually a song here beyond all the gussying up
6 "Make It Good": the early '70s orchestral equivalent of a shitty emo song
7 "He Come Down": good intentions, but horrible execution: especially Mike's vocals. Doesn't work
8 "Hold On Dear Brother": one time I got in my car and this was on. I had no idea what band it was until I popped the CD out and saw it was The Beach Boys

8/ Make it good - This song is nauseating.

Bullsh*t.

I agree. It really is nauseating. I like a lot of Dennis' stuff, and I love a lot of ambient or mood music. But this song seriously has nothing to bite into for me. It sounds like a guy trying to make a powerful, emotional statement, without any real emotional reason for it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »

Huey Lewis & The News's Stuck With You is nauseating. No song Dennis Wilson ever, ever wrote is "nauseating". Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Thank you.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

Fascinating change in style for the band.  My only complaints are the mixing on a few tracks and the complete lack of cohesiveness with Dennis' songs.  Also, although Make It Good may have a Captain, it lacks a hook.  The Brian-led Love You aside, this and Holland are the last instances the band really feels daring.

1. Marcella
2. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
3. All This is That
4. Here She Comes
5. Cuddle Up
6. Hold on Dear Brother
7. He Come Down

8. Make It Good

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »

Huey Lewis & The News's Stuck With You is nauseating. No song Dennis Wilson ever, ever wrote is "nauseating". Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Thank you.

Where's the "Like" button?
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »

1. Marcella
2. You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone
3. All This Is That
4. Cuddle Up
5. Here She Comes
6. Hold On Dear Brother
7. Make It Good
8. He Come Down
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »

1. Here She Comes
2. All This Is That

3. You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone

4. Marcella
5. He Come Down

6. Make it Good
7. Cuddle Up
8. Hold On, Dear Brother

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:40 AM »

"Make it good" is like a brother of "Cocktails" for me. Both really powerful pieces with very soft vocals without traditional structure. Love both of em!

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

First wave of a double-dip Beach Boys recession for me. I enjoy this album slightly more than I do Holland, but its got its issues for sure-- mainly lack of Brian.

Marcella
Cuddle Up
All This Is That
Here She Comes
Make It Good

You Need a Mess of Help
He Come Down

Hold on Dear Brother

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »

1. He Come Down

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 02:16:36 AM »

1. He Come Down

Hell yeah!  Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »

Look up 'hit & miss' in the dictionary and they could just show a picture of this album by way of explanation.

OUTSTANDING
1. Cuddle Up

VERY GOOD
2. All This Is That
3. Make It Good

GOOD
4. Marcella
5. You Need A Mess...
6. Hold On Dear Brother

AVERAGE
7. Here She Comes

POOR